Most of us will sit down to a bountiful Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Most of us do have so much to be thankful for. The holiday comes at the end of the harvest season. Spring and summer have been good and now is a time to reflect on that bounty as we face the cold gray […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
My what a disagreeable Sunday afternoon with rain falling and someone on TV or the computer mentioning the word snow. Reminds me of my 28 years with DeSoto County Schools and the much undesirable task of getting up early in the morning in weather like this to check roads and decide if the big […]
Deer season begins for me at the crack of dawn Saturday. My son James and I will be in the woods, quiet, appropriately dressed and armed. We have looked forward to this day since the last daylight hours of Jan. 17, 2013. Ingrams are hunters. And we make no apologies for what we are. I […]
Dear Editor, I received the Chickasaw Journal today and what was the headline in the paper? Rating of the schools in Chickasaw County. Our school systems are failing us in this county. Look at Houston School. Their rating was not any better this year than last year. In fact it may be worse. It is disgraceful the […]
Dear Editor, I want to start by saying thank you. To all of you who have supported my campaign, with your time, your donations, or your vote – thank you. This was not the result we had hoped for, of course, but we showed the strength of the hundreds of thousands of Mississippians who are […]
Dear Editor Representing Mississippi in the United States House of Representatives is one of the highest honors of my life. I thank the voters of the First Congressional District for giving me the opportunity to represent them for another two-year term. I look forward to continuing to ensure that our conservative Mississippi values are reflected […]
Dear Editor, I am humbled and grateful for your support. I’m especially honored by the trust you have placed in me to continue serving you in the United States Senate. I will continue focusing on representing all Mississippians—because I truly believe that Mississippi is worth fighting for. As we all know, it’s been a long […]
Dear Editor, This year our community wants to make a statement concerning the true meaning of Christmas. We want the Okolona Christmas Parade to be a spectacular event. It is possible some of the persons watching the parade have never connected the Christmas story of baby Jesus. People have come to think that Christmas is […]
I remember so clearly the last line of the Jaycee Creed: “We believe….that service to humanity is the best work of life.” Like the rest of the creed, those words became my mantra and my philosophy. As a young man, I watched those ahead of me in life to learn how and why they did […]
I got to spend some times with some GI’s Friday. People often ask me if I was in the military. As the son of a career Air Force flight engineer, I am quick to tell them I was “in” the first 18-years of my life. The military is not for everyone. But it was great […]
Halloween is over and that means next stop is Thanksgiving. I noticed several churches in the area are doing a variety of food pantry/food drivers on the way to Nov. 25. Chickasaw County has some of the poorest people living in the poorest state in the nation. They need our help. Life is hard, but […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story and totals are updated with more than 200 absentee and affidavit ballots cast in Chickasaw County in the Nov. 4, 2014 General Election. HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last week and a three-man Houston […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last night and a three-man Houston School Board race will see the top two vote-getters in a run off. Democratic Senatorial candidate Travis Childers, of Booneville, garnered 52.40 percent of the vote with 2,140 […]
- Listening to those who served November 21, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Who’s No. 1! November 28, 2014
- Monroe authorities need help locating missing man November 28, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 28, 2014
- Houlka powers past North Pontotoc November 27, 2014
- Houston nips Wildcats November 27, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago