Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – In recent weeks, several areas across Mississippi have experienced higher than normal black bear activity. During spring and summer, after a few months of inactivity, these bears resume their normal life cycle and begin roaming in search of food. This seasonal nomadic activity is what is responsible […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Every offseason since 2009, Dan Mullen has heard his name associated with just about every major college coaching vacancy. It has become something of a tradition for Mullen to see where he is going to land next. There was Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, Colorado and Southern Cal along […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal BIGGERSVILLE – It looked to be a tough afternoon for Vardaman as they found themselves down 2-0 and bats not looking very perky. And then the Lady Rams stepped to the plate in the sixth inning. Vardaman scored eight runs on nine hits and went on to beat Biggersville […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Mayor and City Council held a public hearing at 6 p.m. at Rockwell-Green City Auditorium Tuesday, April 5, to discuss three privately-owned blighted properties located alongside each other on West Main Street in Okolona. No action was taken following the hearing, which […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Chickasaw County School Board earlier in April appointed two senior district officials to a commission studying consolidation of Chickasaw County’s three districts, and updated plans to construct a replacement building for one destroyed by fire about nearly two years ago. […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The paperwork is moving through channels to bring a fire district to residents of southeastern Chickasaw County. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors have approved the legal description, board and held a public hearing last week to notify the community of its plans to seek a […]
BASEBALL (MHSAA Playoffs, Second Round) Class 1A Pine Grove 4, Hamilton 0 Smithville 3, Myrtle 2 Vardaman 9-1, TCPS 7-11 West Union 9, Houlka 3 Class 2A Calhoun City 10, Leland 0 East Union 13, Potts Camp 0 Class 3A Alcorn Central 12, North Pontotoc 2 Kossuth 14-5, South Pontotoc 2-6 Mooreville 3, […]
Dear Editor, Most of us would agree that Houston’s Schools are important and we are concerned about the looming consolidation facing Chickasaw County. It’s up to us as a community to do everything possible to provide the best environment and education for every student. The Time has come in this school year for state testing […]
There is a place in Houston that is unique to this world. The Square, with our stately Chickasaw County Courthouse, green lawn, wide streets and businesses, is distinctively Houston. There may be other places that have more shops, a bigger courthouse and maybe even a little more pizzazz, but none that say Houston like The […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Two bodies found at the Okolona Motel earlier this month appear to be a murder/suicide following a preliminary autopsy report from the State Crime Lab. Authorities were called to the Okolona Motel on Highway 145 in Okolona after hotel owners reported a foul smell coming from […]
Prince Rogers Nelson is gone but will be forever remembered by his music. We are always struck hard when an icon suddenly departs from this life. Regardless of how and why Prince left us so suddenly, his fans mourn. Musicians leave a print on the earth. Elvis fans remember the moment and the very place […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A fast moving storm front swooped down on a rural area north of Houston and west of Houlka, knocking down trees, but causing no injuries Friday afternoon. The storm began shortly before 3 p.m. with dark clouds coming out of the north and bringing torrential rain and strong […]
The National Weather Service has canceled its tornado warning for Chickasaw County. “The only reports of damage at this time are reports of trees down in Houlka and west of Houlka,” said Linda Griffin, Chickasaw County EMA director. “There are no reports of any injuries at this time.”
The lieutenant governor of Mississippi has decided that huge tax cuts in the face of equally large reductions in a dwindling state budget make sense for our citizens. And yet, nothing could be more irresponsible. To essentially ignore the health, education and public safety of nearly three million people for political gain is a lesson […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago