WEST POINT (AP) – Two men have been indicted by a Clay County grand jury on aggravated assault charges related to an alleged beating that left a man in a coma after he was found in a West Point parking lot in August. Assistant District Attorney Lindsay Clemons says in a news release that no […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County/MSU Extension Service is putting on the gloves for a battle – the gardening gloves, that is. The Extension Service, in partnership with the Master Gardeners, is challenging residents of the county to see who can grow the biggest tomato, but the battle is all for […]
In a day and age when our lives are ruled by the clock and in a business filled with deadlines, I have to sometimes step back and look at the bigger picture. April 15 Hope you paid your taxes today. It’s the law and if you didn’t Uncle Sam tends to get upset and he […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An alert Chickasaw County Sheriff’s deputy spotted a flashlight shining in a farm field north of Houston and upon investigation uncovered a massive theft operation spanning several counties and three states. Victor Huffman, 58, of County Road 190, was arrested Monday April 6, on multiple counts of burglary, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – the Houston Flywheel Festival keeps getting bigger and better and the vendors who sell everything from homemade icecream and funnel cakes to artwork and T-shirts are a big part of that success. The spring show two years ago saw over 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Somehow, Michael Seger is getting more basketball and more family time, at the same time. Seger, after five years as Hickory Flat’s head boys coach, has been named the new boys and girls basketball coach at East Webster. “Doing both teams allows me to narrow my focus on the coaching […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Sam Ivy of Ecru and Rebeca Torres of Houston have been selected Mr. and Miss Itawamba Community College for 2014-15. Torres is an exercise science major at ICC, where she is a member of the Indian Delegation, Writing Center consultant, orientation leader, resident assistant and vice president of projects for […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Teaching history to the next generation is one way of preserving it. The Margery B. Rogers Clark Memorial Scholarship was bestowed on Jacob Ruth and Jade Ruth recently at the eighth annual ceremonies and dinner held recently in Bruce. Jade is the daughter of Gene Ruth and Genia Ruth of […]
Columbus’ voyage brought the civilizations of Eurasia and America into contact and inevitable conflict, resulting in profound and permanent changes to both. The internet has done the same to my world view. It is impossible to remain unaffected by developments in any part of the world. It was still possible for the previous generation to […]
MSU Ag Communication News MISSISSIPPI STATE — Challenged to develop alternative uses for culled sweet potatoes, Mississippi State University students really thought outside the box. Cosmetics, feminine hygiene products and deer attractants were among the student proposals in the first Sweet Potato Innovation Challenge at MSU. Phase one of the challenge took place during the […]
By Michaela Gibson Morris Daily Journal HOULKA – Frankie Cross of Houlka is part of the 54-year legacy of Regional Rehabilitation Center in Tupelo. “I don’t know where we would be today if not for Regional Rehab,” said his mom Jo Cross. The center helped Frankie and his mom work with the effects of cerebral […]
“And I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. And authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.” Revelation […]
JACKSON (AP) – Attorney General Jim Hood has asked the Mississippi Supreme Court to keep secret the identity of the state’s execution drug supplier while he appeals a state judge’s order that the name be released. Hinds County Chancery Judge Denise Owens ruled last month that the state’s public records law requires officials to release […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – People will not need to obtain a permit to carry a firearm in a purse, briefcase or luggage under legislation signed into law Friday by Gov. Phil Bryant. Under current Mississippi law and constitutional provisions, a person needs a permit to carry a concealed gun. A […]
- Toppers headed to 4A finals May 15, 2015
- ICC names freshmen band members May 19, 2015
- Pratt, Echoles sign with MDCC May 19, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- GAME ONE: Toppers fall hard in late innings May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago