OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Tony and Tina Pullen of Houlka and Roy and Meredith Park of Van Vleet announce the engagement of their daughter, Heather Nichole Park of Houlka, to Grant Taylor Sullivan, son of Ronnie and Valerie Sullivan of Tupelo.The bride-elect is the granddaughter of the late Billy Collums and Ike and Maxine Denton of Houlka, and the […]
HOUSTON – After suffering through double-digit unemployment most of the year, Chickasaw County’s jobless rate dropped to 9.9 percent last month The trend was part what local businessmen and employers feel is a warming of the economy and a need to add jobs as orders and production increases. Northeast Mississippi’s annual unemployment rate dropped […]
We have had some cold weather lately and I for one look forward to warmer days. I cannot count the times that snow has been predicted for us and until Saturday morning we had missed it. Our “dusting” was light everywhere except the handicapped ramp that helped me into the house when I came home […]
HOUSTON – During cold weather, the goal for many people it simply to stay warm. But without safety and caution, heat can too often turn into fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estiamted 900 portable heater fires are reported to fire departments each year and are the cause of 70 deaths, 150 injuries […]
HOUSTON – “You do not know until you get there what you will do,” Lori Harrington said emphatically. “Don’t ever say you know what you’d do in a situation – or what your kids would do – because you don’t until it happens.” Harrington didn’t know what she’d do if she found herself pregnant at […]
Okolona High School will host its annual College Goal Sunday financial aid event on Feb.15. The program will begin at 9 a.m. College Goal Sun is a non-profit program that provides free info and assistance to college-bound students and their families applying for financial assist through the FAFSA Program. On-site financial aid experts will be […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When a teenage girl and guy find out they are pregnant, they need help. Pregnant teens need lots of support, including social, medical, emotional and academic support. And it comes from family, school, church and the government. The statistics and stories published by the Chickasaw Journal over the past three weeks repeatedly […]
OKOLONA – The Civil War sweeps through Chickasaw County next week as re-enactors gather at Prairie Mound to dig into history and maybe dig up a little treasure. Event organizers have been making plans for this re-enactment for more than a year and have gotten the community and the site ready for what they hope […]
Six arrested in Pontotoc on meth charges David Helms Pontotoc Progress Pontotoc County Sheriff Leo Mask said four Pontotoc County residents, along with a New Albany man and an Oxford woman, were arrested Monday night and charged with possession of methamphetamine. Mask said the six arrests were made after a search warrant was executed at […]
HOUSTON – The state has $3.9 million that will be made available to cities and counties for home renovation and Houston is applying for some of that money. Houston’s Board of Aldermen voted last week to apply for these state funds and – if they are successful in obtaining the grant – will need qualified […]
TUPELO – After days of on-again, off-again forecasts of snow and ice in Northeast Mississippi, the National Weather Service in Memphis on Wednesday afternoon canceled the region’s winter storm warning but extended a downgraded statement for several hours. Light snow was reported during daylight hours Wednesday in places as disparate as Oxford, Itawamba County and […]
I remember the very first traffic ticket it ever got. It was for running a stop sign in West Point one summer day in the mid ’70s. The citation basically said pay $37.50 or show up in court and plead your case. I told my father about it when he got home from work that […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen want kids who commit crimes in Houston to be locked up in juvenile detention and then given ankle bracelets – and they are willing to pay to see it done. The Houston Board of Mayor and Alderman met with Chickasaw County Youth Court Judge Richard Bennett Tuesday night and told the […]
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Voter ID available at Clerk’s office March 6, 2014
- Lady Rams open season March 6, 2014
- STEVE COKER: Sounds of silence March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- Shunta Evans March 7, 2014
- Countywide school board elections set for November March 7, 2014
- The sports cycle March 6, 2014
- Man convicted of killing cyclist dies in prison March 6, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago