HOUSTON – Getting a job is not easy in today’s economy and making sure you can keep it is critical to the success of young adults. The WIN Job Center hosted graduation ceremonies for 11 C2C (Counseling to Career) youth program students Friday with most of the class ready to head off to jobs this […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Daily Journal Northeast Mississippi’s unemployment rate was 8.4 percent in January, up from December’s 7.6 percent rate. But the figure isn’t a cause for alarm. Despite the increase, the rate was almost two percentage points lower than a year earlier. And January’s rate marked the fourth-lowest unemployment rate for the region since 2008. The numbers […]
HOUSTON – The second weekly service of Lenten lunches will be held at noon today at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend. “It’s a great opportunity for believers to join together and focus on repentance, self examination, prayer and to get ready for Easter,” said Melissa […]
HOUSTON – Kids who have the time to commit a crime in Houston will soon get time in a work program that allows them to pay their debt to society. The Houston Board of Aldermen were presented an order from Chickasaw County Youth Court Judge Richard Bennett March 14 laying some legal ground rules that […]
HOULKA – Chickasaw County School Board trustees took a long hard look at student test scores and have set goals to bring them up. Houlka Attendance Center was ranked a “D” in the 2013 statewide accountability rankings and this grade prompted staff and trustees to immediately begin strategic planning to bring that score up. “We […]
Ricky and Courtney Ware of Mantee proudly announce the arrival of their son, Tatum Lane Ware. Tatum was born Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:51 p.m. at the Women’s Hospital at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He weighed 8-pounds, 15-ounces and was 21-inches long. His grandparents are Leslie and Tracey Harrelson of Vardaman and Richard […]
HOUSTON – Record crowds at the spring Houston Flywheel Festival last year have event organizers hoping for a strong showing this year. The spring show saw over 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and entertainment and the call has gone out this week seeking vendors for the 33rd biannual […]
Monroe Journal OKOLONA – An Okolona man was arrested on marijuana charges over the weekend. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department Narcotics Unit arrested Terry Montrell Gillespie, 29, of Okolona, on Friday. Gillespie is charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana. The arrest was the result of a traffic stop on Highway 45 Alternate in […]
HOUSTON – A child was found abandoned near its home in Houston on Friday night. Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles said the child was found near the mother’s home around 7 p.m., and the mother was not around. The child was sent to be checked out at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis. Voyles said […]
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
TUPELO – The government shutdown didn’t stop people from flocking to the Natchez Trace Parkway in 2013. More than 6.01 million people used and visited the Natchez Trace last year, up from the 5.56 million visitors in 2012. This made the Natchez Trace Parkway the eighth most visited National Park Service site. When the non-recreational […]
WEST POINT – Barnhart Crane & Rigging will move a boiler along a designated route from West Point to the Tennessee State line on Saturday, the Mississippi Department of Transportation reports. The route will include U.S. Highway 45A and U.S. Highway 45 and is one of several massive boilers that have been moved from is […]
HOUSTON – In the garden of economic development a community has to have water to make industrial, commercial and residential property bloom. The Houston Board of Aldermen was handed a breakdown of proposed water rate increases to be spread over industrial, residential and commercial customers by Mayor Stacey Parker at the city’s regular first-Tuesday meeting […]
EGYPT — An accident shortly before noon Thursday on U.S. Highway 45A near Egypt sent a local man to the hospital and blocked traffic for several hours. Sgt. Criss Turnipseed, spokesman for the Mississippi Highway Patrol said an 18-wheeler attempted to drive around a tractor towing hay and apparently clipped the tractor. The impact flipped […]
- Freeze warning in effect for tonight April 15, 2014
- Manufacturing event scheduled for April 23 in Starkville at Franklin Furniture Center April 13, 2014
- Jeanie Barnett April 13, 2014
- Bagging the game April 12, 2014
- Houston Heat crawfish boil April 18 April 12, 2014
- Freeze warning in effect for tonight April 15, 2014
- Okolona chamber golf tourney April 26 April 15, 2014
- No charges for Pontotoc deputy in Beale Street shooting April 15, 2014
- Houlka VFD seeks firefighters April 15, 2014
- Houston Heat crawfish boil April 18 April 15, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 10 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 10 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 10 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 10 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 10 months ago