Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Law enforcement in Calhoun County and the city of Baldwyn continue to look into the manner of death after two bodies were found last weekend. Baldwyn police were notified around 7 p.m. Friday that there was a body in some bushes along South Second Street. Officials found Jessie […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s an older home with a grand magnolia tree, mature crepe myrtle, carefully groomed shrubs and a well established lawn of St. Augustine grass. Janice Moore lives in her parent’s home at 346 East Church Street and her yard was recently named the Prettiest Place in Houston […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – The National FFA organization awarded a $1000 dollar Tractor Supply – Growing Scholars scholarship to Lori McClain of the Vardaman High School FFA. The scholarship is sponsored by Tractor Supply – Growing Scholars as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. McClain plans to use the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Artists choose their subject matter with careful consideration but most would agree that there’s not a prettier canvas than a nature’s own landscape painted with trees. A group of fifth grade students across the 4-County Electric Power Association service area explored that observation firsthand recently by participating in the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A boy seriously hurt riding a four-wheeler in Houston, June 3 has died in a Memphis Hospital of his injuries. Local authorities were informed Sunday night the 12-year-old, whose name has not been released, passed away from head injuries he received when the ATV he was riding hit […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Catcher Kody Kimbrough has picked up an honor off the diamond and has been named an academic scholar at Northwest Mississippi Community College. The newly released 2014-15 MACJC Academic All-State Team includes 27 Northwest Mississippi Community College student-athletes, good enough for third-best in the league among 15 […]
Let’s try a thought experiment. Let’s imagine a group of people who endured hundreds of years of social upheaval: war, dispossession, impressments into the service of foreign armies, transport to strange and hostile climes where they were forced into service of a class of people inimical to their interests and prejudicial toward them as a […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Catarina Gomez, 16, says her faith is fun. Gomez was one of 28 youth from St. John The Baptist Catholic Church in Savage, Minn., who made the 997-mile trip to Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Houston for their annual mission trip and Vacation Bible School. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN COUNTY – A man’s body with multiple gunshot wounds was found this morning on County Road 308 in Calhoun County. Around 10:30 a.m. Saturday, two people were traveling east on CR 308 when they noticed what they thought was an unconscious person in a ditch next to the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2015 include Zack Mixon of Woodland, who received his scholarship from the Mississippi Association of Supervisors; and Phillip Garrett Wilkinson of Houston, who also received his scholarship from the Mississippi Association of Supervisors. Mixon will be a 2015 graduate of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Several area residents received GED certificates at the conclusion of the 2015 spring semester at Itawamba Community College. They were honored at a commencement ceremony, May 12, at the Belden Center. Students are listed by home and name and include: Aberdeen – Michelle Luker; Amory – Mark […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal SENATOBIA — The President’s List for the Spring 2015 semester at Northwest Mississippi Community College has been released by college officials following the latest term of classes. Those students completing 12 or more semester hours with a grade point average of 3.75 or better in a four-point system are […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BOONEVILLE — One hundred and ninety-two Northeast Mississippi Community College students who achieved a grade point average of 4.0 for the 2014 fall semester and were recently named to the distinguished President’s List. Students obtaining this honor are listed by name and hometown: • Hayden Scott Cummings of Ecru. […]
I’ve always been told it takes 60 days from the time you plant a tomato to the time you can start harvesting fruit. If you do the math that means those of you that planted the end of April should be serving bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches this week. Yes, I know some of you […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago