By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – The term “big election” really applies to the races for Monroe County circuit clerk and Chickasaw County sheriff. Neither incumbent has chosen to seek re-election and just half-way through the qualifying period, each race already has eight candidates. Qualifying will continue until 5 p.m. on Feb. 27. In […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
TUPELO – Congressman Alan Nunnelee’s cancer has recurred, he is at home in Tupelo and “no further medical treatment is possible,” a spokesman said Friday. In a statement released Friday afternoon, consultant Morgan Baldwin said: “After seven months of bravely fighting brain cancer and a stroke, Congressman Alan Nunnelee was informed last Friday that a new […]
Daily Journal TUPELO – Authorities have identified the woman they say hosted a Mooreville weekend party that housed more than 70 underage individuals and the presence of drugs and alcohol. Angie Floyd, 47, was arrested and charged with violation of the Social Hosting Law and her bond set at $6,000. Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – Equipment is being installed at United Furniture Industries’ newest production plant as it gets ready to open in two weeks. But one critical component is missing: employees. The company, which already employs more than 1,600 people at five facilities in Northeast Mississippi, is looking to fill 300 jobs […]
By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – The Friday night raid of a party in Mooreville uncovered more than 70 underage individuals, the presence of drugs and alcohol, and led to the arrest of both adults and minors. Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson said his office first learned of the party from callers who alerted […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – United Furniture Industries, already one of the largest furniture industry employers in Northeast Mississippi, hopes to add 300 jobs in the next few years. Next month, the company will open its newest production facility in the former Lane Furniture plant in the Tupelo Lee Industrial Park South. The […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Chancery Clerk Wanda Sweeney and Sheriff Jimmy Simmons have said they will not seek another term in their respective offices. Candidates began qualifying for county posts last week and the decision by Sweeney and Simmons will see someone new holding these two high profile county offices at this time next year. Longtime […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State received a jolt heading into the offseason, as junior quarterback Dak Prescott announced he would be returning for his senior campaign. Prescott held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to make his decision public. “I looked at some of the NFL quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Andrew […]
By Gene Phelps Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Madarius Hobson hit a little bit of everything in his offensive arsenal Tuesday, but he was still held under his 23-points-per-game average. Houlka’s multi-talented 6-foot-1 freshman guard scored all 21 of his points in a lopsided first quarter to lead the Wildcats (15-4, 1-0) to […]
By Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Mississippi is the birthplace of William Faulkner, Richard Wright and recent U.S. poet laureate Natasha Trethewey. However, some lawmakers say they want to look beyond the secular literary world and designate the Bible as the state book. At least two bills are being filed during this state […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles is a little old fashioned, so if you get an Email saying you owe the Houston Police Department for a a traffic citation, don’t believe it. Voyles said his department has received two calls from Houston residents who have gotten Emails saying a traffic citation has been issued on […]
VARDAMAN – A heater coil over-heated and smoked up Vardaman Elementary School after school hours Thursday afternoon. Vardaman Elementary School Principal Dee Dee Lee said smoke was smelled in a hall about 3:30 p.m. and the fire department was called to check it out. She said students had already dismissed for the day and the […]
HOUSTON – One of the pure things about this country and this community is just about anybody can “throw their hat in the ring” and run for some kind of public office. County, regional and state officials could formally file qualifying paperwork for office on Monday, Jan. 5 and have until the Friday, Feb. 27 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Officials at Itawamba Community College have released the honors list for the 2014 fall semester. Named to the president’s list, which includes those students with a 3.8-4.0 grade point average were: Bruce – Laken L. Shankle; Calhoun City – Celia J. Hodge; Ecru – Cory Gene Bailey, […]
- Boyer, Mitchell earn DAR History honors March 24, 2015
- IHL, Jones mull possible contract extension March 27, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- State releases detailed bass summary March 29, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago