HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County grand jury meets this week to consider evidence that could result in local residents being charged with a felony. Evidence will be presented by the District Attorney Ben Creekmore and local law enforcement to a pool of grand jurors specially chosen for the task of determining if an indictment should […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Houston Angels All-Star team hosted a warm up tournament for teams getting set to head to State playoffs and hopefully earn a berth in the World Series. The Angels hosted the June 21 event as a fund raiser to assist them in their own quest for more Dizzy Dean action and they […]
HOUSTON – It is a 15-hour trip from Savage, Minn., to Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Houston. But Kate Ruth, 15, said she missed it last year and was not going to miss a chance to meet with her Houston friends again this summer – even if it is 997-mile from the front […]
To say I’m pleased with the turnout of Community Choir members to sing at Homecoming would be a gross understatement. Many thanks to everyone who made the effort, despite the heat and humidity, to brave the threatening storm and raise their voices. It was, indeed, a lovely performance. I’m sure most everyone is aware by […]
There is a place in Houston that is unique to this world. The Square, with our stately Chickasaw County Courthouse, green lawn, wide streets and businesses, is distinctively Houston. There may be other places that have more shops, a bigger courthouse and maybe even a little more pizzazz, but none that say Houston like The […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Alderman heard from two reisdents registering complaints about city employees during the July 1 meeting. Leonard Gillespie of Houston addressed the board saying he feels as though he is being harassed by a police officer. Gillepsie said a Houston policeman has at times parked across the street from his […]
The 858thth Engineering Company is back home safe in Mississippi. Units made the 19-hour plane ride from the Afghanistan and will now check in equipment, be debriefed and begin the transition back to life in the good ole U.S. of A. A few officers and enlisted men are still doing something close to rear-guard action, […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market held steady as Chickasaw County continued to notch double-digit unemployment in May which is traditionally a strong hiring month in agriculture. Chickasaw County had a 10.3 unemployment rate in May with the state average being 8.0 and the national average being 6.1. Northeast Mississippi posted one of the […]
HOUSTON – Driver’s licenses could be issued in Chickasaw County later this month if all goes according to plans made by state and local officials. The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol inspected several locations in Chickasaw County in June and has announced plans to set up a mobile office at the WIN Job Center in Houston […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When Pasty Gore went 10-7 on Monday, it marked 23 years of always being the person people from across the county could call for help. Gore formally retired as Chickasaw County 911 director June 30 and a community-wide reception will be held at Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility from 2-4 p.m. July […]
OXFORD – In a pre-Independence Day concentration on illegal drug activity, seven Lafayette County-area law enforcement agencies began a sweep that netted more than 30 arrests. Lafayette County Metro Narcotics Unit, University of Mississippi Police Department, Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department, Oxford Police Department, United States Marshals Service, Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics and the District Attorney’s […]
HOUSTON – An early morning disturbance landed two men in jail Tuesday. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight inside a home on Pittsboro Street near the Hwy. 15 bypass drew officers attention when a firearm came into play. “Two boys got into it and the third boy shot a gun to break it […]
OKOLONA – After a lawsuit, court costs and controversy the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors signed off on work on County Road 4 last week. Supervisors were approached by County Engineer Ed Springer at their regular board meeting Tuesday, June 24 with documents that will close out work that resurfaced 1.39 miles of County Road […]
OKOLONA – Pulitzer Prize winning author and Okolona native William Raspberry had a passion for urging young African-American men to step up and be leaders for their community. And he believed in starting early. “Mr. Raspberry came from a strong home where children had strong role models and where reading and education were important,” said […]
- Sundancer seeks 14th national title: Houston racers head to Texas for Solar Car Challenge July 18, 2014
- Taking their game on the road July 22, 2014
- MDOT changes weight limits on county bridges July 22, 2014
- Houston man arrested for rustling July 22, 2014
- Natchez Trace has $139M impact July 22, 2014
- Let’s hear it for EARS! July 25, 2014
- Houston Solar Car team wins 14th Solar Challenge July 25, 2014
- UPDATE: Nineteen arrested in Itawamba drug sting July 25, 2014
- Sales tax holiday starts after midnight July 24, 2014
- Better Schools petitions available July 24, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago