HOUSTON – An early morning disturbance landed two men in jail Tuesday. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight inside a home on Pittsboro Street near the Hwy. 15 bypass drew officers attention when a firearm came into play. “Two boys got into it and the third boy shot a gun to break it […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
OKOLONA – After a lawsuit, court costs and controversy the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors signed off on work on County Road 4 last week. Supervisors were approached by County Engineer Ed Springer at their regular board meeting Tuesday, June 24 with documents that will close out work that resurfaced 1.39 miles of County Road […]
OKOLONA – Pulitzer Prize winning author and Okolona native William Raspberry had a passion for urging young African-American men to step up and be leaders for their community. And he believed in starting early. “Mr. Raspberry came from a strong home where children had strong role models and where reading and education were important,” said […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2014 include Amber Buchanan of Okolona, Leadership; Conner Pate Davidson of Houlka, ACT Achievement Incentive, Leadership; Jonathan Duncan of Houlka, ACT Special Achievement Incentive; Adrian Dillon Harrison of Houston, ACT Achievement; Tatayana Hughes of Houston, ACT Regular Incentive, Leadership; Jessica […]
HOUSTON – The latest way to raise money for charity organizations and have a little fun will run through Houston in August. The Color For A Cause Run will be held Saturday, Aug. 23 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston with more than a half dozen local and regional organizations set to benefit from a […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Houston Middle School has released the honor roll for the academic year. Superintendent’s List Lakyn Adams, T’Kecia Beaty, Edgar Bedolla, Gabriela S. Bedolla, Abby Kate Boyer, Emma Brassfield, Peyton Brassfield, Charles Buchanan, Zachary Callahan, Quen’darrius Chandler, Calee Cockell, Kamryn Cooper, Kanazsha Cooper, Mackenzie Adriana Criddle, Jermaya Davenport, Shemerea […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The Houston Business Group will host “Red, White and You” at noon July 2 at Amanda Parish State Farm on Madison Street in downtown Houston. There will be a guest speaker and refreshments and all businesses are urged to attend. For details call 456-2491.
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The WIN Job Center will soon offer free GED Prep Classes for anyone age 17 or older and no longer enrolled in school. Classes will be held from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday […]
HOUSTON – Water meter work has led the city to improve the appearance of sidewalks at one of the prettiest places in downtown Houston. The city embarked on a massive $300,000 upgrade or pipes, valves and fire hydrants in downtown Houston as part of a Appalachian Regional Commission grant almost two years ago and work […]
OKOLONA – Okolona High School has released the honor roll for the fourth nine weeks. Fifth Grade Superintendent’s List Jalariyon Darnell Collins Fifth Grade Principal’s List Taylor B. Chapman, Addison Mckenzie Floyd, Makayla Kiara Hodges, Valencia Elizabeth Hughes, Jakiaila Netaysha Ivy and Darrick Ahmad Whitfield, Jr. Sixth Grade Principal’s List Marquavius Ladezma Baker, Jacobren Christopher […]
HOUSTON – There will be no massive city-wide street paving projects in Houston this summer, but aldermen are looking at how best to spend dollars in their wards this year. The summer construction season coincides with the wrapping up of the city budget in August with the city looking at projects to start that would […]
HOUSTON – He started four mayors ago, but for Johnny Spraggins it’s not who he knows but what he knows. Spraggins, a 30-year employee with the Houston Street Department, was remembered by fellow workers and city personnel as someone who knew his job and someone who always came to work with the right attitude to […]
HOUSTON – Zachary White has a plan and now he has the funding to help make it happen. White was the recipient of the Franklin Corporation Scholarship this spring and hopes to turn the $8,000 award into a degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Mississippi State University this fall. “I can’t tell you how much this […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – State Sen. Chris McDaniel, who was on the losing end of Tuesday’s U.S. Senate Republican primary runoff but still has not conceded, urged county circuit clerks Thursday to cooperate with his supporters who want to inspect election results for irregularities. In a news release, McDaniel said […]
- MSU confers degrees July 16, 2014
- VanCleave celebrates 105th birthday July 19, 2014
- Williams graduates USAF basic training July 20, 2014
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: Praising God is what I do July 20, 2014
- Letter RAY GARRETT July 20, 2014
- Natchez Trace has $139M impact July 22, 2014
- Houston man arrested for rustling July 22, 2014
- MDOT changes weight limits on county bridges July 22, 2014
- Taking their game on the road July 22, 2014
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago