Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s unemployment rate fell slightly in October to 7.6 percent, according to figures released Friday by the U.S. Labor Department. The rate was down from 7.7 percent in September and from 7.9 percent in August. Mississippi had an 8.2 jobless rate in October 2013. The survey found that the number of Mississippians […]
STATE PLAYOFFS QUARTERFINALS Class 1A Coffeeville 40, Shaw 0 St. Aloysius 49, Broad Street 8 Nanih Waiya 24, Resurrection Catholic 0 Cathedral 42, Pelahatchie 13 Class 2A East Webster 21, Hollandale Simmons 8 Calhoun City 28, Bruce 14 East Marion 38, Mize 26 Bassfield 60, Taylorsville 27 Class 3A Kemper County 52, Aberdeen 14 Charleston […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from it to […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles used to have a hotrod with loud pipes and he was even cited as a youngster by Houston police. “The ticket was for improper equipment,” said Voyles. “And I paid it, too.” The cost for loud mufflers now stands at $277.75 and Voyles said patrolmen have been instructed to […]
Daily Journal OXFORD – The Calhoun City National Guard was debriefed in Oxford on Sunday morning and was given information on their benefits from veterans’ hospitals to the G.I. Bill. Joey Jones, an E8 First Sergeant in the group, said the group of just over 150 left for Afghanistan last October, and returned stateside in […]
Matt and Angie Atkinson of Gettysburg, Penn., announce the arrival of twin daughters on Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014 at 11:20 p.m. at York Hospital in York, Penn. Emma Clair weighed 6-pounds, 10-ounces and Aubry Lang weighed 6-pounds, 4-ounces. Emma and Aubry are being welcomed homed at home by their brother, Ben, age 6. Maternal grandparents […]
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last week and a three-man Houston School Board race will now see the top two vote-getters in a run off. Democratic Senatorial candidate Travis Childers, of Booneville, garnered 52.52 percent of the vote with […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors were updated on the change of county ambulance services to a new company last week and Houston Aldermen also got a similar report. Both entities were told the switch from TransCare to MedStat Emergency Medical Services appears to have been a smooth transition, with entities who work with the new […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Note: There are no updated rankings for classes 4A, 3A and 2A because those teams began playoffs last week. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (4) (11-0) 40 1 […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) has confirmed two new Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) cases with one being diagnosed in Calhoun County. The two cases were reported earlier this month in young children, with the other one from Forrest County. A case was reported in a Hancock County child in late September. “There have been […]
- Supervisors name officers for 2015 January 19, 2015
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- Howell, Carter ink with NE January 23, 2015
- United Furniture gears up for February opening in Verona January 23, 2015
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- Comer is chairman of ICC Trustees January 26, 2015
- Houston ponders tourism tax January 26, 2015
- ICC names fall graduates January 25, 2015
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago