WEST LOWNDES – They weren’t perfect but the Houston Hilltopper hit hard and did what they had to do to take a 9-8, pre-season win Friday afternoon. The Hilltoppers showed they can do a variety of things as they ran, passed and even kicked a field goal to win their two-quarter contest with Bessemer Academy, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
There have been several stories in your Chickasaw Journal over the past few weeks reporting on crime. The fights two weeks ago, auto burglaries, theft and a crackdown on juveniles in the City of Houston have grabbed the headlines. We want to point out Houston is not in the midst of a crime wave. Okolona, […]
ENON – Hunters wanting to hone their skills just before dove season are being urged to attend the Enon Skeet Shoot hosted by the Enon Hunting Club this coming weekend. The event will see participants shoot five shots from five stations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the range east of […]
HOUSTON – The latest way to raise money for charity organizations and have a little fun will run through Houston in August. The Color For A Cause Run will be held Saturday, Aug. 23 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston with more than a half dozen local and regional organizations set to benefit from a […]
PONTOTOC — Sweet potato growers, crop consultants and other agricultural professionals can learn about current research and issues at a field day Aug. 20. Researchers and specialists with Mississippi State University’s Extension Service and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station will host the event at the Pontotoc Ridge-Flatwoods Branch Experiment Station, located at 8320 […]
HOUSTON – Street department workers sent home on rainy days may get paid in the future. The Houston Board of Aldermen discussed how city street department workers are chosen to be sent home on rainy days and if they could still get paid. Ward 2 Alderman Shenia Jones made a motion to pay workers for […]
STARKVILLE – When Chickasaw County community leaders contacted Mississippi State University’s Carl Small Town Center, they wanted to discuss ways to connect the Tanglefoot Trail to downtown Houston and the Natchez Trace Parkway. The CSTC is the service and research arm of MSU’s College of Architecture, Art and Design, and the center works with officials, […]
HOUSTON – The Mississippi Department of Investigation is looking into the disappearance of several thousand dollars in Houston Parks and Recreation Department funds that were reported missing last month. The incident was initially reported as a theft by Parks and Recreation Director John Gravat on July 15 and involved funds from a city baseball tournament […]
HOUSTON – Your bosses are the Houston Board of Aldermen and everybody else in town, but there are a lot of people who still want the job. The City of Houston has received 39 resumes for the Houston City Clerk’s job and the board is seeking an Attorney General’s opinion to determine if a relative […]
INDIANAPOLIS – The National FFA Organization has awarded a $1,000 Tractor Supply-Growing Scholars scholarship to Lori McClain of Vardaman High School FFA. The scholarship is sponsored by Tractor Supply Company as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. McClain plans to use the funds to pursue a degree at Mississippi State University. The scholarship […]
HOUSTON – It’s planned and presented by students for students and its an annual food and fun event. Picnic in the Park is a first-day-of-school celebration unique to Houston and it is coordinated by the Houston High School Student Council. “We just have hamburgers, drinks and have a little fun,” said Leslie Bigby, Houston High […]
FULTON – Several area residents will participate in the commencement ceremony for Itawamba Community College’s Practical Nursing and Surgical Technology programs at 7 p.m., July 25, at the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Practical Nursing graduates include Ashley Marie Phillips, Morgan Fears, Brookelyn A. Young, all of Amory; Kristi Leigh […]
HOUSTON – Shots were fired in Houston Friday and Saturday night and one man has been arrested in connection to one of those incidents and a series of fights and disturbances over the weekend. Roger Brownlee, 21, of Houston was arrested for giving false information, exhibiting a weapon and discharging a firearm in the city […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s women’s hoops program concluded another successful summer with its annual Lady Tiger Basketball Camp for future hard-court star being held June 25-27 at legendary Bonner Arnold Coliseum. The three-day event was open to any girl in the fifth through eighth grades. Several experienced area coaches aided Northeast head coach […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Houston proposes tax hike September 12, 2014
- Rewarding excellence in education September 12, 2014
- Topper Zone grand opening September 13, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: Prepared for education anywhere September 13, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- BATTLE OF THE CREEK: Oldtimers remember September 14, 2014
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago