By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They cleaned the streets of Houston Saturday and they need your help to keep them that way. Volunteers and Chickasaw County inmates fanned out across the community and picked up 168 bags of trash as part of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Houston Downtown Association’s Trash Bash. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A bill authorizing a tourism tax in Houston has once again been sent to the Senate Local and Private Committee for approval and if passed would allow city residents to once again vote for or against a tourism tax. A tourism tax referendum narrowly failed last summer. […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – the Houlka Lady Wildcats don’t hold grudges, but they always look for a chance to settle the score. The Houlka Lady Wildcats took to the diamond last week against the Hickory Flat Lady Rebels for the second time this season looking to avenge an early […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – On Monday, March 21, Wesley Cummings of Booneville was fishing in Mill Creek at Pickwick Lake near Iuka. While crappie fishing using a small pink jig, Cummings hooked and landed a large yellow perch. The fish was positively identified by Tyler Stubbs, a fisheries biologist with the […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State climbed to No. 2 in the D1baseball.com national rankings on Monday after its weekend series win at previously top-ranked Florida. The Diamond Dogs (23-9-1), No. 5 a week ago, snapped the Gators’ 29-game winning streak at home with 10-4 and 2-1 victories on the final two […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal Mississippi has more than 14,000 places that serve food to the public, a list that includes restaurants, caterers, casinos, schools, nursing homes and food trucks. Every week, the Mississippi Department of Health sends inspectors to visit some of those facilities, using an extensive checklist that could take 30 minutes or […]
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s attorney general says he doesn’t yet know whether he’ll go to court to force Google to comply with a subpoena or sue the Internet giant for violating state law. Democrat Jim Hood said Monday that he will evaluate the current practices of the unit of Alphabet Inc., saying he hopes the […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Making all Mississippi school superintendents appointed, long supported by a wide array of groups ranging from the Mississippi Economic Council to the state Board of Education, was signed into law Monday morning by Gov. Phil Bryant. Of Mississippi’s 144 school districts, 55 are headed by elected […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – A probable cause hearing to determine if a policeman should be charged with assault following the arrest of a woman outside Houlka City Hall March 3, has determined the officer can not be charged. Chickasaw County Circuit Court Judge John Gregory has reviewed evidence and video […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Drugs dogs swept Houston High School and found just what they wanted to – nothing. Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles said two dogs were sent into the high school and sniffed cars in the parking lot, but no drugs, weapons or alcohol were found and no […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – A co-defendant of former Mississippi Corrections Commissioner Christopher Epps wants to withdraw his guilty plea in a bribery case, a lawyer said Monday. Epps had been scheduled for sentencing Monday after he pleaded guilty alongside Cecil McCrory to money laundering and filing false tax returns related to $1.47 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The following is a brief synopsis of The Commission on Chickasaw County Consolidated School District Structure as proposed by an amendment to House Bill 991. WHO: The commission shall be composed of ten members. One commissioner will be appointed by the State Superintendent of Education and […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The merger of the three school districts in Chickasaw County will be delayed for at least a year under legislation that is pending before the House. In the coming days, the House can send the proposal to Gov. Phil Bryant or invite a conference […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Houston School District Superintendent Tony Cook and Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison have released their respective lists for the third nine-week grading period of the 2015-16 school year. Students named to the Superintendent’s List scored 93 or above and received all “A’s” on their […]
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago