UPDATE 4:30 p.m.: A Tornado Warning was issued for Eastern Clay County near Waverly Landing on the Tombigbee River and Northeast Lowndes County by the National Weather Service at 4:26 p.m. Saturday. A severe thunderstorm moved through the area and weather radar detected cloud rotation indicating a tornado could be in the area. Residents and […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles is a little old fashioned, so if you get an Email saying you owe the Houston Police Department for a a traffic citation, don’t believe it. Voyles said his department has received two calls from Houston residents who have gotten Emails saying a traffic citation has been issued on […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal ABERDEEN — The Monroe County Sheriff Department arrested Anthony Carson Jolly, 38, of Okolona on Dec. 23. Jolly was charged with Receiving Stolen Property and bond was set at $20,000.00 by Monroe County Justice Court Judge Robert Fowlkes. Jolly was held at Monroe County Detention Center and has since bonded out.
By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal When Mississippi adopted the Common Core State Standards four years ago, there was little fanfare. The new guidelines for English and math instruction were not a political talking point during the summer of 2010. Nationally, there was much more discussion about the BP oil spill, the new health care law […]
Dear Editor, Dr. Steve Coker and his wife, Janet, have been wonderful assets to our community. Dr. Coker has shared of his time and many musical talents to enhance local civic programs and promote education. He has kept the community informed and engaged in learning about the progress of our schools and new programs that […]
JACKSON (AP) – A federal judge has denied Google Inc.’s motion to block enforcement of a subpoena issued by Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood that seeks information from Google about parts of its operations, including information about advertising for imported prescription drugs. Federal court records also show U.S. District Judge Henry T. Wingate put Google’s […]
Mr. and Mrs. Dewitt Moore of Houston are pleased to announce the engagement and upcoming wedding of their daughter, Hannah Cathryn Moore, to Larry Hugh Johnson II, son of Mrs. Jeannie Johnson of Louisville and the late Larry Johnson. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of the late Mary Ann Tallent Hancock of Houlka, Mr. and […]
Dear Editor, As a parent of children enrolled in the Houston School District, I must take issue with the recent action of the Houston School Board to non-renew the contract of our Superintendent, Dr. Steve Coker. I attended the “special called meeting” of the School Board along with many other concerned citizens that join me […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Decades ago, the triple option offense was commonplace in college football. However with today’s pass-happy playbooks, very few teams even dare to run it. Georgia Tech still runs the triple option, close to perfection under head coach Paul Johnson. The Yellow Jackets are chewing up 333.6 yards per […]
HOUSTON – It’s the best part of being a Chickasaw County Constable. First District Constable Billy Voyles gave six bicycles to six needy Chickasaw County youngsters this Christmas. “This community has been good to me and this is just a little way to give something back,” said Voyles. “Some of those first kids now have […]
By Ralph D. Russo Associated Press Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota will likely take his game to the NFL next season. Runner-up Melvin Gordon has already said he will be skipping his last year of eligibility at Wisconsin to enter the NFL draft. Alabama receiver Amari Cooper, the other finalist who finished third in the […]
I’ve been around the newspaper business for about 44 of my 54 years, having started out in this profession throwing papers at the tender age of ten in West Point. Delivering newspapers every afternoon five days a week and then trying to collect for your services on weekends will teach you a lot about business […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night, Dec. 16. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the board voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing […]
This Christmas, as you hustle and bustle about the house and community, we want you to reflect on a news event that happened over 2,000 years ago. There is a phrase on the front of this newspaper that states “A locally owned newspaper dedicated to the service of God and mankind.” We take those words […]
- 1975 Grand Slam Champions February 22, 2015
- School, business, industry and institution closing February 25, 2015
- Weather prompts outages, closings, curfews February 26, 2015
- Winter lingers in Chickasaw County February 27, 2015
- PREP BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Houlka and Okolona still dancing February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago