HOULKA – “Everything is still on ‘go’” said Dr. Betsy Collums, Superintendent of Chickasaw County Schools. “At this point the first day of school will be Wednesday with teachers ready for students.” Collums said Chickasaw County Schools will open today, as scheduled even though a fire destroyed the Houlka Attendance Center on Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
They say you can determine the measure of a person by watching how they handle adversity. In the South we are trained to smile and be polite when someone asks how we are. Any given Sunday you will find our churches filled with people undergoing some kind of burden, illness or tragedy and calmly […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County next week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back on the street. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible […]
HOULKA – The historic Houlka Attendance Center was destroyed last week in one of the largest fires in Chickasaw County in recent history. Firefighters responded to a blaze that engulfed the 70-year-old building about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, July 30 and the facility was a smoking hulk at 4:30 p.m. No one was injured in the […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State wanted a more challenging non-conference schedule in Rick Ray’s third season to reflect a finally full roster. The Bulldogs released their 13-game non-conference slate on Wednesday. It features eight home outings and another at Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson on Dec. 20 against South Carolina Upstate. MSU will welcome Western Carolina, Mississippi […]
JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields. Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, […]
Parents and guardians are reminded that school starts next week. Houston schools start Wednesday, Aug. 6. Chickasaw County schools in Houlka begin class Wednesday, Aug. 6. Okolona schools begin at 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 11. Houston will host open house from 4 to 7 p.m Tuesday, Aug. 5. Parents should contact individual school for the […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a […]
TUPELO – Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 9, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door at the Link Centre, 1800 […]
OKOLONA – The July term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court had 47 cases set on the docket with drug cases and burglary/robbery charges dominating the list. Circuit Court Judges Robert Elliott, John A. Gregory and Andrew Howorth were slated to hear cases this term, accept guilty pleas and assign court-ordered attorneys. The docket was down […]
Mr. and Mrs. Randle D. Wright, of Vardaman, announce the engagement and upcoming marriage of their daughter, Randee Kalyn to Aaron Murphy Sims, son of Mr. and Mrs. David Forest Sims of Calhoun City. Miss Wright is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Blaine of McCool and Mrs. Mary Lee Wright of Vardaman and […]
HOUSTON – As with most battles, someone wins and someone loses, but the case of the Chickasaw Tomato Battle the competitors live in the same house. Sarah Taylor was named the First Annual Chickasaw County Tomato Battle champion with a red, ripe tomato tipping the scales a 15.5 ounces. The event was sponsored by the […]
HOUSTON – The line stretched out the front door and half way around Houston First United Methodist Church Saturday morning as the community gets ready for the first day of school. The United Way and local civic groups hosted Houston’s first United Way Back 2 School resource fair where youngsters and parents got school supplies […]
Woodland Class Reunion will be held on Aug. 2 at 6 p.m. At Ms. Tori’s Cafe in Woodland for classes 1954-57. Please call Jack Houser at cell: 542-8527 or house: 456-3665. Houston High Class of 1984 reunion is set for 6 p.m. Saturday at Stinkin Jim’s Campground, just follow the signs. Bring a snack and […]
- Okolona briefed on Trace Regional changes August 25, 2014
- EW downs Vardaman in season opener August 28, 2014
- Eight-man Eagles open season August 28, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Hands of Hope September 1, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- Jori Abi Boston August 31, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago