Houston police were busy Wednesday afternoon conducting a series of rolling road blocks. “These were just random road blocks on Jackson Street and around town,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “We were checking driver’s licenses and vehicle safety regulations.” Voyles said the police were conducting these safety checks as part of a desire to […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickaaw Journal Three fatalities on Northeast Mississippi highways were all the traffic deaths reported across the state for the four-day Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The latest fatality was Bobbie Malone, 70, of Houston, who died in a two-vehicle crash Sunday on Highway 15 in Chickasaw County. On Thanksgiving Day, a two vehicle crash […]
STATE PLAYOFFS Class 6A North Final South Panola 36, Starkville 26 South Final Oak Grove 36, Brandon 35 ––––– Class 5A North Final Oxford 48, Pearl 7 South Final Laurel 34, Wayne County 30 ––––– Class 4A North Final Noxubee County 21, Greenwood 0 South Final Saint Stanislaus 48, Purvis 14 ––––– Class 3A North […]
Monroe Journal The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in locating Herbert Sanderson, 87, who was last seen between 1 and 3 p.m. Wednesday in Hatley. Sanderson is described as a white male with brown hair and brown eyes, 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds. He drives a white 1985 Ford E15 van […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s unemployment rate fell slightly in October to 7.6 percent, according to figures released Friday by the U.S. Labor Department. The rate was down from 7.7 percent in September and from 7.9 percent in August. Mississippi had an 8.2 jobless rate in October 2013. The survey found that the number of Mississippians […]
STATE PLAYOFFS QUARTERFINALS Class 1A Coffeeville 40, Shaw 0 St. Aloysius 49, Broad Street 8 Nanih Waiya 24, Resurrection Catholic 0 Cathedral 42, Pelahatchie 13 Class 2A East Webster 21, Hollandale Simmons 8 Calhoun City 28, Bruce 14 East Marion 38, Mize 26 Bassfield 60, Taylorsville 27 Class 3A Kemper County 52, Aberdeen 14 Charleston […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from it to […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles used to have a hotrod with loud pipes and he was even cited as a youngster by Houston police. “The ticket was for improper equipment,” said Voyles. “And I paid it, too.” The cost for loud mufflers now stands at $277.75 and Voyles said patrolmen have been instructed to […]
Daily Journal OXFORD – The Calhoun City National Guard was debriefed in Oxford on Sunday morning and was given information on their benefits from veterans’ hospitals to the G.I. Bill. Joey Jones, an E8 First Sergeant in the group, said the group of just over 150 left for Afghanistan last October, and returned stateside in […]
Matt and Angie Atkinson of Gettysburg, Penn., announce the arrival of twin daughters on Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014 at 11:20 p.m. at York Hospital in York, Penn. Emma Clair weighed 6-pounds, 10-ounces and Aubry Lang weighed 6-pounds, 4-ounces. Emma and Aubry are being welcomed homed at home by their brother, Ben, age 6. Maternal grandparents […]
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: James Meredith January 31, 2015
- Open posts in Chickasaw, Monroe draw crowd of candidates January 31, 2015
- AG arrests two for false filings January 31, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago