Wildcats sweep Shaw Houlka faces Thrasher this week By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats cruised through their play-in round with Shaw last weekend, but Coach McDonald knows the road to Jackson will get steeper from here. The Wildcats blasted Shaw, 18-5, in their first game and got off to a good [...]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Toppers moving on to second round Houston boys face Amory this week By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers made short work of the Yazoo County Panthers in their opening round of playoffs last week, taking the series in two games. The Toppers got their game going in the bottom of the third [...]
Lady Rams advance in three games Vardaman girls pick up suspended game and finish strong. By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – The Lady Rams started of their second round of playoffs strong, with a 7-2 win over Wheeler, but hit a stumbling block in Game Two. In their first meeting, the Lady Eagles [...]
Lady Toppers rally for the win Houston girls come from behind to sweep series By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Lady Toppers faced a strong Amory team in their first round of playoffs, but pulled off the win to advance to round two this week. In Game One, the Lady Panthers drew [...]
Okolona is accustomed to seeing it’s downtown change over the years. The city was burned – twice – during the Civil War. It’s stately three-story Masonic Lodge was constructed after a massive fire in the 1900s that destroyed the center of town. It suffered an exodus of businesses and stores during the 1970s and 80s [...]
by The Associated Press HOUSTON — A bridge on Mississippi Highway 15 in Chickasaw County will be named for the late state Rep. Billy Bowles under a bill signed by Gov. Phil Bryant this past week. House Bill 517 would designate the bridge within the city of Houston, Miss., at its intersection with Mississippi Highway [...]
HOUSTON – In an effort to address a growing societal problem with bullying, students at Houston Middle School participated in an assembly program to learn ways to replace bullying behavior with more positive actions. The assembly was led by Windell Greene, Sr., a long-time educator and currently an associate with the educational consulting firm Empowerment [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Itawamba Community College’s chapters of Phi Theta Kappa have inducted members for 2012-13. They include: Houlka – Jensyn E. Havens, Stephen C. Higgins, Arktavius Moore, Rebecca L. Parker and Cody A. Turman Houston – Hillary M. Colbert, James N. Hood, Amber A. McFarland, Zachary M. Wilkinson, Charles T. Young, Valerie [...]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – With just two weeks go before municipal elections in Houston and Okolona, candidates for city offices are busy soliciting votes. Voters in both municipalities will cast a ballot for mayor and city marshal and for the alderman or city councilman for the ward where they live. Houston has an at-large-alderman and all [...]
HOUSTON – Drug charges took up just under half of the 91 cases in Chickasaw County Circuit Court earlier this month. The docket saw 44 drug-related cases set for this term with alleged crimes of theft, burglary or embezzlement ranking second with eight cases. The court calendar also lists eight sex-related charges and seven alleged [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Paychecks for aldermen in Chickasaw County’s four municipalities vary based on population and tax base. Okolona pays its mayor and city marshal the best, but aldermen are paid less than cities of similar size. Okolona’s mayor is paid $32,000 a year or $2,666.67 a month. The city [...]
GREENWOOD – Cortez Moss began to fully understand the importance of education at the end of his third grade year in Calhoun City. On the final day of school, he received a report card saying he would not be promoted to fourth grade. The note was an error, corrected after his mom brought the school [...]
County Health Departments offer free Immunizations this week In recognition of National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is offering free routine immunizations for infants and children through 18 years of age at all county health departments the week of April 22-26. MSDH, along with the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices, [...]
HOUSTON – On your mark, get set, help your friends and neighbors. The semi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K will be held Saturday in conjunction with the Spring Flywheel Festival and offers exercise enthusiasts an opportunity to compete for a good cause. The event is sponsored by Team Hope Houston to raise money to assist those affected [...]
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Wilson Craig May 18, 2013
- Vernon Mooneyham May 18, 2013
- Houston Lady Toppers need two wins today May 18, 2013
- Harper shuts down East Webster Lady Wolverines May 18, 2013
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Andrews Shields May 20, 2013
- Anna Spratlin May 20, 2013
- EMA, Houston Fire Department to conduct HazMat exercise. May 20, 2013
- Brown celebrates a century May 19, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- RT @blongsports: VIDEO: East Union coach Chris Basil & Urchins celebrate their North championship victory #DJpreps - http://t.co/LV0wXQGL8G 1 hour ago
- Final mission planned for Mississippi Gulf Coast Honor Flight - Business Blog http://t.co/FLeYn04M3d 1 hour ago
- Tupelo police make arrest in credit card case http://t.co/58vcQDUSMs 2 hours ago
- Regulator: Day's departure due to his withholding Kemper information - Magnolia Marketplace http://t.co/dMTWopFD2b 3 hours ago
- RT @ap: BREAKING: State medical examiner's office: 51 killed in Oklahoma tornado, with children among the dead. 4 hours ago