Election results from around Northeast Mississippi and Chickasaw County here. Click headline to view live results. Click here for results.
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Sammy McMillen had just driven past a man mowing his yard on Madison Street in Houston Wednesday and looked in his mirror to see the mower on top of him. “I don’t know exactly what happened but he was mowing on the hill and when I looked in the mirror he was in [...]
OKOLONA – Okolona Superintendent Dexter Green was formally welcomed to town Sunday with a reception for the new head of Okolona schools and his family. Green, who has only been the city’s top educator for 32 days, said Okolona already feels like home and he has already made friends that he calls family. “As [...]
HOUSTON – Trustees approved an invoice of $21,629.18 to NewPath Strategy Consultants at a special called meeting Friday morning. The payment of the claim was the sole action item on the agenda, but the school board did conduct a “walk-through” of all district buildings and grounds after the meeting adjourned. The board had sought NewPath’s [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston High School Topper Pride band was honored with their annual banquet April 23 at the Civic Center. The band competed at the Mississippi High School Activities Association/Mississippi Bandmaster’s Concert band evaluation in February where they were the only 4A school to score a superior rating in [...]
Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood (AP) This is a Sept. 16, 2010 Mississippi Department of Corrections provided photograph of death row inmate Willie Jerome Manning, taken at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, Miss. (The Associated Press) JACKSON — Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood says a new round of DNA testing on evidence collected against [...]
by Brett Brown NEMS Daily Journal BASEBALL (MHSAA Playoffs) Class 1A TCPS 9, Ingomar 7 Series tied 1-1 Thrasher 14, Houlka 4 Thrasher wins series 2-0 Smithville 10, Falkner 0 Smithville wins series 2-0 Greenville St. Joe 11, Myrtle 1 St. Joe leads 1-0 Class 2A Hatley 4, Strayhorn 3 Hatley wins series 2-0 East [...]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Supervisors in about 35 rural counties across the state can now request the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to place a driver’s license examiner or a kiosk where people can renew their license in their county seat. The legislation requiring the Department of Public Safety to [...]
by Melissa Meador Monroe Journal AMORY – In a battle of solid starting pitching, it was Amory’s Tanner Poole who came out on top on Thursday night, striking out six in a 3-0 shutout of Houston. Poole (6-3) allowed three hits and worked out of having a pair of runners on twice to give his [...]
HOUSTON – Months of fund raising for the American Cancer Society will culminate in a party in the park this Friday night as the Chickasaw County Relay for Life event will begin at 6 p.m. Relay for Life is a friendly competition between teams made of school, civic, church and family groups who raise funds [...]
HOUSTON – Authorities continue to investigate leads and gather evidence in the death of Ray “Shorty” Bevill, but have yet to make an arrest. Bevill was found dead in his 206 Aberdeen Road home of stab wounds on April 15 after relatives had not seen him in two days. “We are getting closer to making [...]
News that Clay County and West Point are poised to land a massive automobile tire factory is good news. A special session last week brought details of the deal to the public and apparently local, state and even national leaders have been working on this project for some time. The Yokohama Tire Company is [...]
HOUSTON – Perfect weather, quality entertainment and of course plenty of tractors and flywheels made for record crowds at the 32nd Annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Association Flywheel Festival this weekend. The threat of rain had event organizers concerned about the turnout, but Friday’s fish fry and music pulled thousands to Joe Brigance Park. Saturday started [...]
When you walk in the door at Earp’s Barber Shop it is easy to understand you are in place tailored to cut men’s hair. “All I do is cut hair,” said Jim Earp, who has been trimming men’s manes in Houston for 39 years. “I’ve been in this location the last 10 of those years. [...]
- Fallen officers remembered, living officers honored May 17, 2013
- Edith Clement May 22, 2013
- Okolona students take safe driving lessons May 22, 2013
- Runoff election final results 2013 May 21, 2013
- Willie Owens May 21, 2013
- City tables school board appointment May 24, 2013
- Lesson for life May 23, 2013
- FLOYD INGRAM: A big day for a man with big plans May 23, 2013
- Robertson guilty on three of four charges May 23, 2013
- David Forrester May 23, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- Frazier leads Mississippi State past Texas A&M 6-4 http://t.co/QtA2sudwDC 1 hour ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys http://t.co/K9kMXwmuAn 4 hours ago
- Sisters find the funny in ‘Nunsense’ http://t.co/ggvFPbNN4C 4 hours ago
- Follow @bradlocke for MSU baseball updates. 4 hours ago
- Ole Miss falls to Alabama in 10 innings http://t.co/2m3Qo3VPBq 12 hours ago