HOULKA – The revelation of a $100,000 budget shortfall has the Houlka Board of Aldermen taking drastic measures in an effort to balance city books. The shortfall has prompted aldermen to cut city employee’s pay and insurance and take bids to sell the former Bancorp South building that now serves as City Hall. Houlka City […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The community will gather on The Square in downtown Houston at 6 p.m. Thursday to celebrate homecoming with Houston High School. Downtown merchants are asked to decorate their window for Friday’s football game with Koscuisko or with their favorite college team colors. Homecoming maids, sports teams, cheerleaders, band members and the Solar Race team will […]
HOUSTON – The remains of a man missing in since Aug. 23 are believed to have been found by authorities combing a heavily overgrown area just north of Houston Wednesday morning. Willie C. “Doc” Harries, 72, was last seen Saturday, Aug. 23, at 5 p.m. in the Wofford Drive area in Houston and the discovery of […]
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is issuing a Silver Alert for 77-year-old Robert Lloyd Edwards of Eupora. Mr. Edwards was last seen Saturday, Oct. 4, at about noon at 705 Pogue Road in Eupora and this Silver Alert was issued at 1:35 p.m. Monday by MBI. He is described as a white male, 6-foot, 1-inch tall, weighing […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health confirmed a case of West Nile Virus in Calhoun County today. It is the third case of the mosquito-borne illness identified this year in Northeast Mississippi. In the state, there have been 43 cases confirmed and five deaths, including one in Lee County and one in Monroe County this […]
HOULKA – The best cornbread cooks in Chickasaw County are once again being sought for Houlka’s Second Annual Cornbread Festival and the community is being invited to help judge. “You can be a judge for a simple $5 and that gets you a plate and a bowl,” said Cornbread Festival coordinator Tina Pullen. “You then […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 41, Nettleton 0 Baldwyn 45, Mantachie 14 Biggersville 20, Vardaman 14 Booneville 55, Alcorn Central 6 Briarfield, La. 52, Calhoun Aca. 36 Caledonia 28, Houston 27 Calhoun City 56, Bruce 15 Corinth 49, Pontotoc 14 E. Webster 31, Okolona 22 Falkner 19, Thrasher 12 Grenada 14, Tupelo 11 Hamilton 46, Houlka […]
HOULKA – Mississippi’s First Lady Deborah Bryant hugged and read to every third grader at Houlka Elementary School last week. Bryant, the wife of Gov. Phil Bryant, was in Chickasaw County as part of her “Read Across Mississippi” tour Tuesday and read the book “The Fib: A Wordy Tale” to the two classes of third […]
HOUSTON – Residents have until Saturday to register with the Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office to be eligible to vote in the Nov. 4 general elections. The November election will see voters pick a U.S. Senator, area judges and also cast their ballot for local school board trustees. Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Cassandra Pulliams said […]
EUPORA – It as a fight to the death and Houston did not give up until the bitter end. Houston fell to Eupora, 36-28, in a hard-fought contest that saw the Hilltoppers battle back at the end, but it was not enough as the Eagles used the big play to seal the game Friday night […]
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
HOUSTON – The water in a Chickasaw County creek did not turn to wine last week, but it did turn red as part of a water quality study. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) began monitoring the water quality in Chico Creek in Chickasaw County near Houston Sept. 10. Chico Creek is south of […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
The U.S. Senate election in which Democrat Travis Childers of Booneville is challenging six-term Republican incumbent Thad Cochran will not be the only contest on the Nov. 4 general election ballot for Northeast Mississippians. Voters in the region can vote on the 1st District U.S. House race, local circuit and chancery judge elections and a […]
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Trustees, judges on ballot November 24, 2014
- ICC scholarships awarded to local students November 24, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago