HOUSTON – Incumbent Chancery Clerk Wanda Sweeney and Sheriff Jimmy Simmons have said they will not seek another term in their respective offices. Candidates began qualifying for county posts last week and the decision by Sweeney and Simmons will see someone new holding these two high profile county offices at this time next year. Longtime […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State received a jolt heading into the offseason, as junior quarterback Dak Prescott announced he would be returning for his senior campaign. Prescott held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to make his decision public. “I looked at some of the NFL quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Andrew […]
By Gene Phelps Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Madarius Hobson hit a little bit of everything in his offensive arsenal Tuesday, but he was still held under his 23-points-per-game average. Houlka’s multi-talented 6-foot-1 freshman guard scored all 21 of his points in a lopsided first quarter to lead the Wildcats (15-4, 1-0) to […]
By Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Mississippi is the birthplace of William Faulkner, Richard Wright and recent U.S. poet laureate Natasha Trethewey. However, some lawmakers say they want to look beyond the secular literary world and designate the Bible as the state book. At least two bills are being filed during this state […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles is a little old fashioned, so if you get an Email saying you owe the Houston Police Department for a a traffic citation, don’t believe it. Voyles said his department has received two calls from Houston residents who have gotten Emails saying a traffic citation has been issued on […]
VARDAMAN – A heater coil over-heated and smoked up Vardaman Elementary School after school hours Thursday afternoon. Vardaman Elementary School Principal Dee Dee Lee said smoke was smelled in a hall about 3:30 p.m. and the fire department was called to check it out. She said students had already dismissed for the day and the […]
HOUSTON – One of the pure things about this country and this community is just about anybody can “throw their hat in the ring” and run for some kind of public office. County, regional and state officials could formally file qualifying paperwork for office on Monday, Jan. 5 and have until the Friday, Feb. 27 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Officials at Itawamba Community College have released the honors list for the 2014 fall semester. Named to the president’s list, which includes those students with a 3.8-4.0 grade point average were: Bruce – Laken L. Shankle; Calhoun City – Celia J. Hodge; Ecru – Cory Gene Bailey, […]
By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – There will be a pair of town hall meetings next week in Tupelo to gather signatures and answer questions about a ballot initiative that would legalize marijuana in Mississippi. The Mississippi Alliance for Cannabis will meet Monday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Kermit’s Outlaw Kitchen on […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal MONTPELIER – She retired 15 years ago, took up quilting and has no idea how many quilts she has made, but has more than 40 in her home just across the Chickasaw County line. “I grew up working and even worked for years in dress factory in Pennsylvania,” said Eaton. […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County’s unemployment rate dropped to 8.9 percent, the lowest in more than six years, according to figures provided by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security. The low jobless rate was attributed to a strong demand for manufactured goods – specifically upholstered furniture, a late harvest season and modest gains in the retail […]
HOUSTON – Two former Houston Hilltopper football stars have used two years at Itawamba Community College to springboard them to the next level. Sharone Wright and Anfernee brand recently came home to Houston to ink their NCAA Letters of Intent and announce they will play at Mississippi College next year. “MC has a good program […]
The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may prove […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The 2015 session of the Mississippi Legislature, which starts Tuesday, will not be lacking for high-profile issues that could cause conflict and hard feelings this election year. Among the issues that could be contentious are: • A possible tax cut. • Additional funding for education. • […]
- 1975 Grand Slam Champions February 22, 2015
- Weather prompts outages, closings, curfews February 26, 2015
- Winter lingers in Chickasaw County February 27, 2015
- PREP BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Houlka and Okolona still dancing February 27, 2015
- Carrot and stick February 27, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 1, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago