By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Mayor and City Council held a public hearing at 6 p.m. at Rockwell-Green City Auditorium Tuesday, April 5, to discuss three privately-owned blighted properties located alongside each other on West Main Street in Okolona. No action was taken following the hearing, which […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
Vandalism is a part of doing business with the world. It is sad to say there are people who get a certain amount or pleasure or entertainment out of tearing up public property. We find that a sad way to live life. We also understand it is a crime. This newspaper was called this week […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Northeast Mississippi local governments garnered about $3 million in projects in a $249.6 million bond bill that passed both chambers of the state Legislature late Monday. Bond proceeds will be used to pay off the project over a period of years. The projects range from tourism-related […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The person who will handle the day-to-day operations for Chickasaw County was hired last week by the board of supervisors. Norman Griffin, Jr., 52, started work last week and will be the first point of contact for individuals, businesses and government agencies wanting something from Chickasaw […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – With a charter school expansion officially signed into law by Gov. Phil Bryant this week, local school district leaders are trying to determine how the changes will impact their schools and students. The amendments to the Mississippi Charter School Act of 2013 allow students in any C, […]
WOODLAND – An autopsy is being performed on the man whose body was found in a burned mobile home Sunday night April 5, in Woodland. The victim has been identified as 78-year-old Joe Cephas Johnson, who lived in the home on County Road 419. Firefighters were called to the trailer at 7:55 p.m. Sunday after […]
By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Chickasaw County school districts consolidation, which looked to be a certainty at one point during the 2016 legislative session, will be delayed until at least 2017. The House, by a 100-16 vote Wednesday, sent to Gov. Phil Bryant legislation to establish a 10-member […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center will host its annual Summer Health Academy from 8 a.m.-noon June 6-10. Students who are interested in pursuing a health career and have completed the seventh or eighth grade are eligible. Participation is limited to 25 students who will be selected on […]
Life is an opportunity to spend a brief period of time in this world. During this minimal space of time we are fortunate to enjoy what most others cannot do. Most of the people who have ever lived are dead. Therefore we are in a very rare state of existence. We are in the land […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – This is the only warning local drug dealer and users will get from the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department. Deputies and state and local police fanned out over the county Wednesday with warrants to arrest those charged with drug related crimes. While most were small buys […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal GRENADA – As the Houston baseball team traveled to Grenada on Saturday they had two things in mind as they head into the homestretch of the regular season – win two games against the Charger. After dispatching Winona 11-6 in game one, it was the […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – After a win earlier in the week the Vardaman Rams faced the Houlka Wildcats Friday night for game two. And despite a furious rally by the Wildcats in the sixth inning, the Rams held on for a 4-3 victory. “I think what we really learned from […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The stench was horrendous and police were keeping the door closed after two bodies were discovered inside a room of a Chickasaw County motel Friday afternoon. Okolona Police Chief Willie Moore said police got a call from 911 about 4 p.m. Friday saying bodies were believed to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They cleaned the streets of Houston Saturday and they need your help to keep them that way. Volunteers and Chickasaw County inmates fanned out across the community and picked up 168 bags of trash as part of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Houston Downtown Association’s Trash Bash. […]
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago