JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields. Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Parents and guardians are reminded that school starts next week. Houston schools start Wednesday, Aug. 6. Chickasaw County schools in Houlka begin class Wednesday, Aug. 6. Okolona schools begin at 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 11. Houston will host open house from 4 to 7 p.m Tuesday, Aug. 5. Parents should contact individual school for the […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a […]
TUPELO – Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 9, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door at the Link Centre, 1800 […]
OKOLONA – The July term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court had 47 cases set on the docket with drug cases and burglary/robbery charges dominating the list. Circuit Court Judges Robert Elliott, John A. Gregory and Andrew Howorth were slated to hear cases this term, accept guilty pleas and assign court-ordered attorneys. The docket was down […]
Mr. and Mrs. Randle D. Wright, of Vardaman, announce the engagement and upcoming marriage of their daughter, Randee Kalyn to Aaron Murphy Sims, son of Mr. and Mrs. David Forest Sims of Calhoun City. Miss Wright is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Blaine of McCool and Mrs. Mary Lee Wright of Vardaman and […]
HOUSTON – As with most battles, someone wins and someone loses, but the case of the Chickasaw Tomato Battle the competitors live in the same house. Sarah Taylor was named the First Annual Chickasaw County Tomato Battle champion with a red, ripe tomato tipping the scales a 15.5 ounces. The event was sponsored by the […]
HOUSTON – The line stretched out the front door and half way around Houston First United Methodist Church Saturday morning as the community gets ready for the first day of school. The United Way and local civic groups hosted Houston’s first United Way Back 2 School resource fair where youngsters and parents got school supplies […]
Woodland Class Reunion will be held on Aug. 2 at 6 p.m. At Ms. Tori’s Cafe in Woodland for classes 1954-57. Please call Jack Houser at cell: 542-8527 or house: 456-3665. Houston High Class of 1984 reunion is set for 6 p.m. Saturday at Stinkin Jim’s Campground, just follow the signs. Bring a snack and […]
OKOLONA – The Magnolia Festival is the summer party for Chickasaw County and was once again be the place to be this weekend. This year’s event was themed “From Civil War to Civil Rights” and will saw the re-dedication of the Okolona Confederate Cemetery and the unveiling of a Mississippi Historical Marker for Okolona College. […]
HOUSTON – One of the first events to be held in the newly renovated Chickasaw County Agri-Center could be Fall Fun Day. The Chickasaw County 4-H Clubs are heading up a community service project called “Fall Fun & Games Day” which will be held on Oct. 31, at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center in Houston. This […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors have lost no time in getting repairs started on the Chickasaw County AgriCenter after getting state funds for the work just weeks ago. Supervisors met with County Engineer Carrson Neal and Angie Abrams with the AgriCenter Committee last week to iron out the process and scope of the work. Neal […]
Dodge’s Store robbed in Okolona CHICKASAW COUNTY – Okolona police have arrested a man on robbery charges after he allegedly brandished a knife and robbed a convenience store in Okolona just after midnight Thursday. Okolona Assistant Police Chief Dwight Parker said authorities arrested Quentin Horton, 32, of Okolona, on charges of armed robbery and he […]
HOUSTON – Those who knew Lonnie Whitt remember him as a man who served his church, community and others. Whitt, 76, owner of Houston Monument Company, a former city alderman, county supervisor and basketball referee, died Saturday night after a bout with cancer. His funeral was at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Houston First Baptist Church. […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- City, CDF discuss Tanglefoot trailhead August 15, 2014
- Aldermen discuss street worker pay August 19, 2014
- Sweet potato field day planned for Aug. 20 August 19, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Houston runs over Bessemer August 21, 2014
- BROWN: LETTER TO THE EDITOR August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago