David and Lisa Poynor of Big Creek are pleased to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Emiley, to Casey Lancaster, son of Mark Lancaster and Ruby Lee Lancaster of Houston. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Helen Lowrimore, the late Lance and Tressie Poynor all of Big Creek and Walter and Emma […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Ms. Marion Dillard, of Pelahatchie and Mr. And Mrs. Anthony Acy, Jr., of Brandon announce the engagement of their daughter, Sarah Nicole Acy, to Joe Stanley Pulliam, Jr. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Mr. And Mrs. Bill Dillard, of Pelahatchie, Mr. And Mrs. Gary Plummer, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Taylor, […]
HOUSTON — Schools get grades, too. Houston Upper Elementary School recently was recognized as a Champion of Change by the Mississippi Department of Education for going from a D to a B in state testing scores. ”This means a lot of each of us at this school,” said Linda Heair, a fifth grade teacher at […]
Lisa Voyles / Buy at Photos.ChickasawJournal.com Houlka Homecoming Maids 2013: Houlka 2013 Homecoming Maids are shown, from bottom, Cara Martin, Jesse Moore, Tatayana Hughes, Saydee Moss, Tykeela Cunningham, Beth Huffman, Chianne Edington, Jamesha Lyons, Cassie Homan, Savannah Day, Sadias Ross, Paige Graves and Naveah Moore. Homecoming will be held Friday, Nov. 22 prior to the […]
Four local girls got up close and personal with the Ole Miss cheerleaders and Rebelettes. From left, Cara Pearson, Emme Ausbern, Ella Cate Alford and Kennedy Pearson, attended a junior Rebel cheer camp Oct. 13 along with about 250 other young girls ages 5-17. The girls learned cheers and a dance and returned to campus […]
OKOLONA – Aldermen took no action after a hearing was held Nov. 12 with former Okolona Assistant Chief of Police Romona Robertson who was terminated from her job with the city Sept. 10. Okolona aldermen met in executive session for more than an hour to discuss personnel matters and Robertson’s hearing was part of that […]
Daily Journal The federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. will pay the pensions of some 19,000 current and future retirees of bankrupt Furniture Brands International, the agency said today. KPS Capital Management is the lone bidder to purchase the assets of Furniture Brands for $280 million, a sale that still needs approval by the U.S. Bankruptcy […]
The annual Community Thanksgiving Service, sponsored by the Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance and the Salvation Army will be held Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. in the Houston High School auditorium. The non-deonimination service is open to all and features guest speakers, community choir and hand bell choir. An offering will be taken to provide assistance […]
Mississippi’s white-tailed deer hunting season with guns opens Saturday and runs through December 1. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include antlerless deer and legal bucks on private lands and legal bucks on open public lands. Hunters are urged to practice good hunter ethics and follow all safety rules to avoid […]
Here it is the latter part of November and I found myself raking leaves at the Ingram Plantation in a t-shirt on Saturday. It rained Sunday, but that only made things muggy and humid. The sun even poked it’s head out Sunday afternoon to end the day on a beautiful note. But Thanksgiving is around […]
HOUSTON – The GED has always been a tough test, but it will get tougher on Jan. 2 with a new version and curriculum set to be introduced. The GED (General Educational Development) exam has been a safety net for those who do not obtain a high school diploma and is typically used as a […]
We are pleased the Mississippi Department of Education chose to reward Houston Upper Elementary School academic achievement. A story on Page One of this newspaper explains the Champions of Change designation and how much it should mean to Houston School District and both our city and our county. We would like to point out some […]
Believe it or not, it’s that time again! Thanksgiving is upon us and Christmas is right around the corner. And there is no lack of things to do, events to attend and opportunities to share some holiday cheer. For me, personally, we’ll start things off with the Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance Community Thanksgiving service. I […]
HOULKA – Citizens of Houlka have seen an ongoing paving project become a nuisance but the Houlka Board of Aldermen said the paving company is liable for repairs and will have to fix issues of holes and erosion. Public Works Director, David Ray, said the paving on Oak Lane sank and the company is responsible […]
- Lee Williams December 8, 2013
- James Harrell December 6, 2013
- Newberger Brown December 6, 2013
- Houlka Homecoming Queen December 6, 2013
- Civil War artifacts sought for Museum display December 6, 2013
- Lee Williams December 8, 2013
- Joy Ray December 8, 2013
- Christmas musicals today December 8, 2013
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: Getting rid of old ways December 7, 2013
- BILLY McCORD: As I See It December 7, 2013
- Iggy: I am from the uk and just watching worlds strictes...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Look who’s reading now! […]...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Houlka gym renovation […]...
- Linda: He does NOT make it right. I ordered beef from him...
- Reed Jones: Greenwood's division record is 5-0....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 6 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 6 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 6 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 6 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 6 months ago