Letter Ray Garrett Dear Editor, The primaries for the United States Senate seat from Mississippi are over. We the voters are now faced with a clear choice between two candidates for this office. This choice is between the Democratic nominee, Travis Childers, and the Republican nominee, Thad Cocharan, Despite what many of thier supporters […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Luke 1:64 (KJV) 64) “And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.” During the course of a day, most people have a long list of things to do. That list can range from cooking to working, from dropping the kids off at school to running errands, from […]
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – Airman 1st Class, Samantha L. Williams, graduated from basic military training, USAF training at Joint Base San Antonio – Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas, April 18, 2014. The airmen completed an intensive, eight week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, physical fitness, and basic […]
HOUSTON – She has lived a long time in Houston and Gwenette VanCleave was all smiles as she celebrated her 105th Birthday last week. VanCleave is one of the oldest residents in Houston and is close to being the oldest resident in the state. A milestone held by Annie Cooper, 108, of Holmes County. VanCleave […]
My this has been a busy week-end for me. All the things I usually do were compounded by the 23rd Annual Sawmill Festival in Bruce. Don’t misunderstand me it is not that I did not enjoy the Festival because I very much did. I have been a part of the Festival because of my involvement […]
HOUSTON – The ballot boxes from the June 24 Republican Primary Runoff were opened for review by Chris McDaniel representatives last week but the election has already been canvassed and approved by the Chickasaw County Republican Party. Assistant Chancery Clerk Cassandra Pulliam said representatives of U.S. Senatorial candidate Chris McDaniel looked over ballots, poll books […]
Two people died in a house fire near West Point on Thursday night. The fire at 2090 Dr. Sears Road killed Alvin Tallie Sr., 54, and his wife Fatenia Tallie, 54, said Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter Jr. Another adult and a child also were in the house and escaped, Carter said. The child was […]
HOUSTON – Carrson Neal with Cook Coggin Engineering of Tupelo, has been named the county’s engineer of record. The motion to hire Neal was made by District 4 Supervisor Jerry Hall and seconded by District 5 Supervisors Russell “Wolfie” King. The motion passed without dissent. Cook Coggin Engineers, Inc., is a general civil engineering firm […]
Today is Team Check Day with the car and crew required to attend a variety of meetings and race events. Teams will formally register this afternoon and a group meeting of all solar car racers and advisor/instructors will be held tonight in the ballroom of the Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel. Prior to that a meeting of all […]
HOULKA – The Wildcat Football Booster Club wants a field of their own and say a lot proposed for a new football field just north of town will fit their needs. Patty Moss, Wildcat Booster Club President, said they have measured the lot west of Collums Furniture and north of the city baseball field and […]
HOUSTON – Houston’s best and brightest head to Texas this week seeking their 14th national title in the Solar Car Challenge – it won’t be easy. The Houston Solar Car Team and their vehicle Sundancer will check in at the Marriott Hotel in Dallas on Friday and race in a new hybrid format that will […]
An Okolona woman has been arrested and charged with identity theft. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Saprina Shantel Williams, 25, on Wednesday. Williams is accused of obtaining personal information of another subject and using that information to make several purchases on line. Bond has not been set, and she is currently being held at […]
This newspaper has repeatedly said one of the things Houston does best is Solar Car. The Houston Solar Car team heads to Fort Worth, Texas today and will race the roundtrack at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth for a couple of days before they hit Texas highways for a road race to Austin. And […]
Brian Free and his group Assurance will be at Macedonia Methodist Church, on CR 418, at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 17 for an evening of praise and worship. The event is free and a love offering will be taken. Since 1982, Free has been at the forefront of southern gospel music since first joining Gold […]
- Parents can be fined for truancy July 30, 2014
- Houlka Attendance Center engulfed by fire (w/video) July 30, 2014
- Mississippi’s best and brightest July 31, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Fourteen in a row! July 31, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: What I like about Houston July 31, 2014
- Magnolia Fest blooms in Okolona August 1, 2014
- Fall Fun Day seeks volunteers August 1, 2014
- County seeks bids August 1, 2014
- Crime Roundup July 31, 2014
- Lonnie Whitt remembered as man who served. July 31, 2014
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago