By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Marian Schutte, an official with Louisiana’s Recovery School District, is likely to be the first executive director of Mississippi’s Charter School Authorizer Board. The board voted 5-0 Thursday to hire Schutte, pending approval by the state Personnel Board. Schutte has handled charter school authorization and monitoring for the […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – It may have been a good thing the scoreboard was not working as Houston lost their home opener to Calhoun City Friday night. The Hilltoppers seemed snake-bit as two fumbles on solid drives deep into Calhoun City territory and several penalties hurt Houston’s chances in a 40-0 loss to the visiting Wildcats. Houston […]
HOUSTON – Senatorial candidate Thad Cochran (R-Miss) stopped in Houston Friday to visit with employees at Franklin Corporation and discussed immigration, events unfolding in the Middle East and the need for Republicans to vote for him this fall. Cochran was at Franklin for about an hour Thursday and chatted with employees about issues and shook […]
HOUSTON – Houston school trustees directed attorneys last week to once again press their case that the roof at the Houston School of Science and Technology leaks even after the district paid $240,000 in 2011 to have it fixed. Trustees met in executive session with Board Attorney Jimmy Hood for more than an hour before […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal NATCHEZ TRACE – A Houston man died in an early-morning, one-vehicle accident Wednesday on the Natchez Trace Parkway in Chickasaw County. Jamie Adams, 41, of Houston, was pronounced dead at the scene after the black Ford pickup he was driving left the roadway and struck a tree at milepost […]
By Jack Elliott Jr. Associated Press JACKSON – A Mississippi death row inmate is back before the state’s high court to challenge the evidence and his lawyer’s performance during his trial in the slayings of two elderly women. Willie Jerome Manning is appealing an Oktibbeha County judge’s denial of his post-conviction challenges related to evidence […]
JACKSON (AP) – Jackson police on Tuesday found the body of a 17-year-old girl they say was kidnapped and shot during the weekend. Katelyn Beard’s body was found in a rural area north of Jackson, shortly after police found some of her clothes. Jackson Police Department spokeswoman Colendula Green said Dewayne Thompson, 19, was captured […]
Monroe Journal Two people were arrested in an apparent online counterfeit scheme. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, with the assistance of the U.S. Federal Marshal Service, took into custody Dan Judd, 25, of Okolona, and Shontell Wilborn, 22, of West Point. Both suspects are charged with one count of false pretense each. The arrests were […]
HOUSTON – It was simple gifts of soap, shampoo and reading material, but to inmates at the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility it was a hand of hope. Hands of Hope, a national ministry aimed at jails and prisons, delivered a truckload of those supplies to the Houston facility earlier this month with the goal […]
HOUSTON – Of the approximately 1,800 students in the Houston School District almost 1,600 ride a bus to school at least once a day. The addition of seven new Thomas school buses to the district’s fleet was a big expenditure, but one that will make transportation of students more reliable, safer and ultimately save money, […]
COLUMBUS — Eight-man football got underway with Hebron Christian Academy Eagles on the road against the Victory Christian Academy Eagles Friday night. Both teams opened the gridiron season with high expectations from last year. Victory was only one win away from winning it all in their league, Alabama Christian Football Association Eight-Man. Hebron has been […]
VARDMAN – The East Webster Wolverines are known for being physical but they proved Friday night they can pass the ball too, as they handed the Vardaman Rams a 64-14 loss. “We knew coming into this game that Vardaman was going to be physical up front,” said East Webster junior quarterback Jack Wilson. “We had […]
PONTOTOC – Houston running back Brandon “Boosie” Townsend rushed 20 times for 206 yards and a touchdown to lead the Hilltoppers to a season-opener victory over Pontotoc. It was a hot night and difficult game for the Pontotoc Warriors, as they could not find a way to overcome Houston’s rushing attack and fell to the […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but they gave an indication of just how strong they can be with a 13-0 victory over Vardaman last week. The Toppers had 11 hits, including a triple and game ending home run, then played flawless defense that saw no Vardaman baserunner advance beyond second. “I thought […]
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- Mississippi aims to apply for federal preschool grant September 20, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors September 23, 2014
- Pink Ribbon 5K set for Sept. 27 September 23, 2014
- Cassandra Pulliam appointed Circuit Clerk September 23, 2014
- LETTER TO EDITOR: Zora Cousin September 22, 2014
- Houston gets grant for fire loop September 22, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago