OKOLONA – In addition to hands-on skilled and technical training, the Okolona Vocational Center offers students an extra opportunity to interact with community members. During the first semester, students participated in a safety awareness program. Members of the Okolona Fire Department visited the complex to demonstrate the propler use of fire extinguishers by creating […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – It’s a love story, a laugh and a lot of lines that will bring out the best in tunes and talent in Houston. The Houston Community Theatre takes to the stage with “Hello, Dolly” Saturday night at the Houston High School Auditorium, and as with past productions, this one is sure to be […]
Breaking the cycle takes education, responsibility, concern CHICKASAW COUNTY – While the number of teen pregnancies nationwide is dropping, Chickasaw County still has one of the highest rates in the country. In 2011, the last year for complete numbers, the state reported 29 births to teen mothers in Chickasaw County, […]
TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi and the rest of the Mid-South are under a wind advisory from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today ahead of a cold front that should move through the region this afternoon or evening. While strong southerly winds are expected throughout the day, the damaging winds will be along a squall line […]
Your Chickasaw Journal wraps up a five-week series today on teen pregnancy so the headline of this column has double meaning. I am a firm believer that words have power. A person’s name, a curse or something sweet whispered in someone’s ear. Words make things happen. We hope you have been reading these articles. […]
HOUSTON – The Houston school board voted last week to reject a bill from an attorney hired by the district to help fix a leaking roof in and who was later dismissed. Trustees rejected the bill from lawyer Bill Murphree and Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker said the decision was made on the grounds the attorney […]
There have been several stories in your Chickasaw Journal over the past few weeks reporting on crime. The latest internet scam, auto burglaries, arson and a crackdown on juveniles in the City of Houston have grabbed the headlines. We want to point out Houston is not in the midst of a crime wave. Okolona, […]
Putting a dent in your car or truck means you need to call Frank Smith Body Shop in Houston. Smith has more years in the auto repair business than he want to think about, but that expertise and knowledge of fixing bent automobiles makes him one of the best bodymen around. Frank Smith Body Shop […]
HOUSTON – “We make bad parents,” said Shelia Nabors of the Department of Human Services. “It is not our mission to take children away from their parents.” Nabors is the Community Educator for the region and said the role of DHS is often misunderstood. “People look at DHS as the bad guys,” Nabors said. “But […]
HOUSTON – Alligators have their place in this world, but not on the side of the highway in Anchor. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks was called to a ditch running under Highway 15 south of Houston Tuesday afternoon after a big alligator was spotted basking on the east side of the highway. […]
Smithville woman charged with sale of controlled substance A Smithville woman has been charged with selling a controlled substance. According to a statement from the Amory Police Department, the North Mississippi Narcotics Unit, assisted by the Amory and Smithville police departments, served a warrant for the arrest of Sherry A. Harris, 42, of Smithville […]
HOUSTON – A $1,000 grant from Rabo AgriFinance has been awarded to Houston FFA member Dillion Cates by the National FFA Foundation. The grant is designed to help FFA members create and enhance their supervised agricultural experience (SAE), a requirement that all FFA members must complete. An SAE requires FFA members to create and operate […]
JACKSON – After testing, interviewing and showing at Dixie National competition, C.J. Weddle of Vardaman brought home a nice prize. Weddle was named Premier Exhibitor for showing goats and was awarded a $2,000 scholarship to the college of her choice. The Vardaman High School freshman still has a few years to decide where to use […]
OXFORD – The following University of Mississippi students are among 813 candidates for degrees at the close of the fall semester. They are invited to participate in UM’s spring commencement scheduled May 14. n Brodee Lee Moore of Houlka, Bachelor of General Studies n Richard Bradley Moore of Houston, Bachelor of Business Administration n Constance […]
- DAR honors Marsh with history award March 2, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- Lady Eagles wrap in Overall March 6, 2014
- Dale Weeks March 6, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago