By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal Mississippi children trail their peers across the country on important indicators of education, health and economic security, according to a new national report released today. The Annie E. Casey Foundation’s “Race for Results” looks at 12 factors that influence a child’s success – including babies born at normal birthweight, scores […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal WOODLAND – Woodland may be small in population and area but it is big on heart and helping hands. The community has always been close-knit and looks out for their own and now they are growing the next generation of service-oriented residents right at home. Mayor Patti Watkins had hopes […]
HOUSTON – The fourth weekly service of Lenten lunches will be held at noon today at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend. “It’s a great opportunity for believers to join together and focus on repentance, self examination, prayer and to get ready for Easter,” said Melissa […]
HOUSTON – Following the Board of Supervisor’s acceptance of the City of Houston’s withdrawl from their E911 contract, members of the Sheriff’s Department and E911 office are looking for clarity in how dispatching will be handled. Sheriff Jimmy Simmons asked the board for a procedure on who the E911 office will dispatch for and a […]
OXFORD – A Lafayette County jury has ruled Ausbern Construction is due $570,293.60 in costs and damages following a lawsuit with Chickasaw County that has stretched over two years. Ausbern Construction, owned by Terry Ausbern, of Okolona, sought payment from the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors for work his company did over three years ago […]
HOUSTON – A student with a thought-out plan is a student destined to do great things. Houston High School will host a meeting for students and parents March 31 and will discuss curriculum changes and graduation options for high school students. “We have never done this before and we have a lot of big […]
HOUSTON – Franklin Corporation entered the United Way of Northeast Mississippi competition with a food sculpture representing what it does best, by building a recliner that moves. Companies across Northeast Mississippi were asked to contribute to the United Way “United Against Hunger” food drive to celebrate a record-breaking year and to provide food […]
HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail will host its first major race since opening last fall with the Altis Marathon set to run Sunday morning. Hundreds of runners are expected to descend on Houston and the Chickasaw Development Foundation is urging local businesses and the community to get ready and welcome the athletes to town to […]
By Jack Elliott Jr. Associated Press JACKSON – A lawsuit filed against the Mississippi Department of Corrections targets the integrity of drugs used to execute inmates. The suit was filed Friday in Hinds County Chancery Court by the MacArthur Justice Center on behalf of death row inmates Michelle Byrom and Charles Ray Crawford. MacArthur attorney […]
HOUSTON – Brecker Johnson, 39, pled guilty to the reduced charge of manslaughter and was sentenced as a habitual offender to 20-years with no opportunity for parole by Chickasaw County Circuit Court Judge Robert Elliott Monday. Johnson had initially been charged with the murder of John L. Wofford, who was stabbed at their Woodland residence […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The secret to taxes is deadlines and telling the truth. And while the government can’t always tell if you are telling the truth, two key deadlines are in April in the form of homestead exemption April 1 and the state and national income tax deadline of April 15. The Chickasaw County Tax […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal Lane Furniture finished laying off nearly 500 workers at its Saltillo plant last week, and its parent company announced Thursday it was putting Lane’s Verona location on the auction block. Heritage Home Group – the umbrella company for Lane, Broyhill, Thomasville, Drexel Heritage, Maitland Smith and other furniture companies that […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal STRONG – According to Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell, his department is helping in the investigation of an apparent arson in southern Monroe County late Tuesday. “Apparently someone was going up and down the road setting fires to ditch banks. This is the very first report we’ve had of […]
HOUSTON – A long-running lawsuit between Chickasaw County and Ausbern Construction was slated to be heard Monday morning, in Lafayette County and could end more than two years of legal wrangling. Ausbern seeks payment for work the company did for the county almost three years ago. Circuit Court Judge Andrew Howorth has already ruled the […]
- Witnesses recount horror of Nettleton shootout April 17, 2014
- Civil War author to speak at Museum April 16, 2014
- Freeze warning in effect for tonight April 15, 2014
- Okolona chamber golf tourney April 26 April 15, 2014
- No charges for Pontotoc deputy in Beale Street shooting April 15, 2014
- Witnesses recount horror of Nettleton shootout April 17, 2014
- Toppers host Knights Friday April 17, 2014
- Gwendolyn Shipp April 17, 2014
- Wolves start week clean April 17, 2014
- Herron places fourth at State April 17, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 10 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 10 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 10 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 10 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 10 months ago