HOUSTON – The September term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court has 60 cases set on the docket with drug cases and appeals from Justice Court and Okolona Municipal Court dominating the list. Circuit Court Judges Robert Elliott, John A. Gregory and Andrew Howorth were slated to start hearing cases Monday, accept guilty pleas and assign […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Mitchell Gregory pled guilty to murder in Chickasaw County Circuit Court last week and was sentenced to life in prison by Judge Andrew Howorth. Gregory had been charged with capital murder in the gruesome death of William Ray “Shorty” Bevill in April 2013 and agreed to the plea deal of murder to avoid […]
I have always benefited from good counsel. Whether it was my mother teaching me to be polite with playmates at a young age or my father pointing out the finer points of a roadside discussion with the highway patrol, good advice can save you a lot of heartache and money. As I have gotten older […]
Do you like making a dollar? That’s a question every American can truthfully answer without one bit of guilt or shame. This country and this community was founded by capitalist who spotted an opportunity, put the wheels in motion and carried the proceeds from their labor to the bank. That opportunity comes to Houston this […]
MISSISSIPPI STATE — Anticipating the return of manufacturing to the U.S., Mississippi State University’s Franklin Furniture Institute is hosting the Mississippi Reshoring Summit on Sept. 24. Higher labor costs in China and technological advances that aid in U.S. production are partly responsible for increasing domestic manufacturing. The summit will help attendees answer the question for […]
HOUSTON – The Choctaw County Chargers lived up to their name as they charged back in the second half to score 21 points and top the Houston Hilltoppers 28-26 Friday night. Things looked good heading into halftime as Houston held a 20-7 lead over Choctaw County, but the elusive running of Charger quarterback Jamarcus Bradley […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Board of Supervisors will sign a contract with MedStat Emergency Medical Services to operate ambulances for the county. Supervisors voted Tuesday, Sept. 16, to go with the higher bid from MedStat. With Trace Regional Hospital closing its emergency room Sept. 8, the Sept. 16 decision was partially based on getting the […]
HOUSTON – Good eyes and a couple of good legs helped Houston Police nab one alleged robber and then arrest a second man following an incident on a local parking lot Tuesday night. Police were called to Grocer’s Pride parking lot about 9 p.m. Sept. 23 after a woman was approached by two black males […]
HOUSTON – Most members simply say they are a member of Anchor, and while most recognize the name, few recognize what this club, which has roots in a much larger organization, is all about. Houston High School Anchor Club is the youth division of the Pilot Club of Houston, MS, MS District, Pilot International. Through […]
By David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – After waiting seven days for a mandatory deadline to pass, the sale of liquor inside the city limits of Pontotoc was approved by two votes late Tuesday when four photo affidavit ballots were counted by the Pontotoc City Election Commission. After poll ballots, absentee ballots and 50 nonphoto […]
HOUSTON – The Ice Bucket Challenge has swept the country and it swept into Houston last week with Houston High School Anchor hosting the challenge as part of a recent pep rally. The Ice Bucket Challenge has individuals naming others they’d like to challenge to have a bucket of ice water dumped on them before […]
HOUSTON – It’s the premier fall festival in Houston with good food, good crafts and good entertainment drawing a crowd to the Flywheel Festival each year. Event organizers saw record crowds of more than 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and entertainment two years ago and the call has […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors President David Gene Walters appointed Cassandra Pulliam as Circuit Clerk Wednesday. Pulliam was sworn by Circuit Court Judge John Gregory about 10 a.m., as members of the Board of Supervisors, family and friends looked on in the Houston Courthouse courtroom. The ceremony was followed by a session of […]
Dear Editor, This letter is concerning the Houston School District policy on not allowing the usage of the school facilities by teachers and former administrators for events of personal and public interest. I, Zora Cousin, requested the usage of the Houston High School Auditorium to hold by husband’s, Warren G. Cousin, Sr., funeral services. I […]
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- STEVE COKER: The Wisdom of Potatoes October 25, 2014
- Life Chain hosts annual event October 25, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago