TUPELO – A Wren man died Sunday morning from injuries sustained in a single car accident Saturday evening according to Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley James E. Thompson, 57, was driving north on McAllister Road when authorities say he lost control of his Chevy pickup truck and ran off the roadway, striking multiple trees. Thompson was […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Thanks to those of you who have asked about my health. Thanks to some good doctors and a good hospital I am now doing much better. My blood volume is now what it should be and I hope it stays there. Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate every one that was lifted up for […]
Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell Alford of Houston are proud to announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Haley Dianne Peel, to Mr. Brandon Gray Hardin of Belzoni. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy Peel and the late Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Alford of Houston. A 2000 graduate of Houston […]
HOUSTON – He waded ashore on Normandy Beach on July 4, 1944 and was wounded twice in World War II, he then returned to Mississippi, set up a dental practice in Houston and raised a family, helping many people along the way. Dr. Herman Smith, 92, was named the Chickasaw Development Foundation’s Citizen of the […]
HOUSTON – It was perfect weather to run 26 miles and the first marathon for Houston and the Tanglefoot Trail went off without a hitch Sunday morning. Billed as the Altis Marathon, the event saw 59 runners race north out of Houston and later returned to the starting line on Industrial Drive. A 13 mile […]
A Pontotoc County resident has been sentenced on charges of insurance fraud Friday. Eric Long, 28, of Randolph, appeared before Judge James L. Roberts in Pontotoc County Circuit Court on Friday and pleaded guilty to one count of insurance fraud after filing a fraudulent insurance claim with Allstate Insurance Company regarding a four-wheeler accident which […]
JACKSON (AP) – Scattered tree damage and power outages were reported in parts of north Mississippi as thunderstorms and the threat of tornadoes continued Thursday across Midwestern and Southern states. Two injuries were reported in Mississippi. There were no injuries reported in Chickasaw County, although a roof was blown off a home on County Road […]
I have always loved to cover court. There is a method to everything that happens in court and figuring out how attorneys are presenting their case and what juries or judges are picking up on is interesting stuff. Then there are the facts that make up the case. There is emotion, money and the lives […]
OXFORD – A Lafayette County jury has ruled Ausbern Construction is due $570,293.60 in costs and damages following a lawsuit with Chickasaw County that has stretched over two years. Ausbern Construction, owned by Terry Ausbern, of Okolona, sought payment from the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors for work his company did over three years ago […]
Melissa Merrill and 35 other cyclists peddled 50 miles Wednesday, spent the night in Houston and then woke up Thursday to help build a house. The group was part of the Fuller Center for Housing spring ride on the Natchez Trace with Parkway Baptist Church feeding them and letting them sleep in their Family […]
HOUSTON – Tia Tee Khao worked frantically as a flower delivery man in Portland, Ore., and one day decided he wanted to smell the roses. “I got on my bike and started riding,” said Khao. “My journey has taken all across the United States. I have met a lot of very good people and learned […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The use of a hand-held cellphone to text, read or post on a social networking site while driving will be prohibited under a proposal that passed both chambers of the Legislature. The legislation, which passed the 52-member Senate with three dissenting votes and 104-16 in the […]
HOUSTON – Students at Houston Middle School will be immersed in math, reading and English next year in an effort to improve state test scores in those subjects. The Houston School Board voted last week to go to the modified block scheduling that will see class periods go from 45-minutes of instruction to 75-minutes on […]
By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal Mississippi children trail their peers across the country on important indicators of education, health and economic security, according to a new national report released today. The Annie E. Casey Foundation’s “Race for Results” looks at 12 factors that influence a child’s success – including babies born at normal birthweight, scores […]
- Toppers host Knights Friday April 17, 2014
- No charges for Pontotoc deputy in Beale Street shooting April 15, 2014
- Houlka VFD seeks firefighters April 15, 2014
- Houston Heat crawfish boil April 18 April 15, 2014
- Patricia Clements April 15, 2014
- Toppers host Knights Friday April 17, 2014
- Gwendolyn Shipp April 17, 2014
- Wolves start week clean April 17, 2014
- Herron places fourth at State April 17, 2014
- 3 dead in Nettleton shooting: Altercation at plant leads to street gunfire April 17, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 10 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 10 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 10 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 10 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 10 months ago