Special to the Chickasaw Journal George and Levorn Guilty celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary on May 10, 2015. The couple met in 1964 on a farm. They dated for a year before getting married on May 10, 1965 in Pittsburg, Miss. The couple has four children (Lenroy, Stacey, Gloria and Mercedes), four grandchildren and […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A local man has has been arrested and charged with sexual battery of a vulnerable person, following an investigation by prosecutors for the Mississippi Attorney General. A press release from Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood last week said Alshunte Bowen, of Houston, turned himself in to authorities Thursday […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – A fiery, three-vehicle accident just north of the Highway 15 intersection with Wesley Chapel in Chickasaw County has killed a man and sent two other men to the hospital. Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon said the accident occurred about 12:10 p.m. when a pickup truck allegedly […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – Hebron Christian School Eagles got 2015 area graduation ceremonies started with 12 students hurling their mortar board hats in the air Friday night, May 8. Family, friends and school administrators smiled as an even dozen students were handed their high school diplomas to mark the end of […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Houston is headed to the first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette on Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park to take on today’s Game 3 winner […]
What roles will social issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and religious freedom play in the 2016 presidential race? On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court decided abortion was a legal right, thus settling the debate … right! In January of this year an estimated 600,000 people marched in […]
By Josh Hill Special to Chickasaw Journal The Houston Hilltoppers seemed to have hit their stride with a back-and-forth style that has allowed them to advance to the Mississippi High School Activities Assocation North Half semifinals this week. The Hilltoppers proved they could get the job done over Itawamba AHS in a two-out-three contest […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston School Board met last week to narrow the list of potential candidates for the next district superintendent and hired Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to […]
Voters went to the polls yesterday to choose a Congressman and they will head to the polls in just a few short months to select their county leaders for the next four years. With all the problems we have in America, this newspaper and this community realizes the man we send to Washington […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOUSTON – Zack Poteete became a hero without a hit, but his bat has Houston one win away from a trip to the Class 4A state baseball championships after a 2-1 win over Lafayette. Tied at a run apiece in the eighth inning of Tuesday’s North championship series opener, the […]
By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal TUPELO – Two candidates – a Democrat and a Republican – are advancing to a June 2 runoff election in the race for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat. Howard Zinn and Trent Kelly were the two front runners in Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat left vacated following the […]
Daily Journal A pedestrian was struck and killed by a tractor trailer around midnight Tuesday in Oktibbeha County. According to the Mississippi Highway Patrol, 71-year-old Willie McKinney of Vardaman was standing in the roadway on Highway 25 South near Poorhouse Road when he was hit by a 2007 Peterbilt driven by Lonnie Thompson, 53, of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – A Chickasaw County man will have to spend the next five years in prison after the Mississippi Court of Appeals ruled against him. On Tuesday, the court affirmed the decision of the Chickasaw County Circuit Court to revoke the probation of Donnie McDonald, 57, and sentence […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Trustees hired Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to hire Cook to replace longtime Houston superintendent Dr. Steve Coker whose contract was not renewed by the board […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houston heads to state championship May 20, 2015
- Cook named HSD superintendent May 21, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago