By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – United Furniture Industries and McCormick Drive LLC have bid on a former Lane Furniture Industries facility. The companies have offered to buy Lane’s former office and warehouse facility in Verona, according to a bankruptcy filing by FBI Wind Down Inc. United Furniture has a large manufacturing plant in […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Errol Castens Daily Journal Three nonpartisan candidates will be on the Nov. 4 ballot for the one contested circuit judge post in Judicial District 3, which includes Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Lafayette, Marshall, Tippah and Union counties. Shirley C. Byers of Holly Springs, J. Kizer (Ki) Jones of Holly Springs and J. Kelly Luther of […]
JACKSON – The Tennis Foundation of Mississippi has announce that Marvin “Marty” Pearson of Oxford is the 2014 inductee into the Mississippi Tennis Hall of Fame. Marty has long been associated with tennis in the state and through his play, support, and instruction has left an unmistakable imprint on Mississippi tennis. Marty’s tennis career began in Houston, […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Aldermen named Margaret Futral as the new city clerk after a controversial four month vacancy at City Hall. Futral’s name was whittled down from a list of 39 resumes and she was part of a final list of about six names submitted to Mayor Stacey Parker for interviews and […]
HOULKA – The rain kept few away from the food and fun at the Second Annual Houlka Cornbread Festival Saturday, as the community came downtown to enjoy music, crafts and cornbread. Rain over the weekend had most watching the sky, but festival organizers said they got in all events and didn’t think weather had a […]
OKOLONA – Chickasaw County has a dog ordinance designed to help property owners keep dangerous dogs off their property, but there is a process that must be followed. Kim Gordon, of Traceview Estates, said she has repeatedly reported what she deemed dangerous dogs running loose in her neighborhood and approached the Chickasaw County Board of […]
The Magnolia football madness continues. For the first time, Mississippi State holds the top ranking in college football. The Bulldogs (6-0) took over the No. 1 ranking in both the Associated Press media and the USA Today coaches’ polls on Sunday afternoon, overtaking defending national champion Florida State (6-0). Ole Miss (6-0) is No. 3 […]
By William Moore Daily Journal District 18 Chancery Court voters will have plenty of options when the Nov. 4 general election comes around with five candidates seeking two judge positions. Three female challengers hope to unseat male incumbents Glenn Alderson, Place 1, and Robert Whitwell, Place 2. District 18 covers Benton, Calhoun, Lafayette, Marshall and […]
WEST POINT – A Starkville man, 18, is facing the death penalty in connection with the death of a 2-month-old child. Clay County Sheriff Eddie Scott said emergency responders were called to 9630 Griffith Road in the western part of the county on Oct. 8. Iriana Mullins was airlifted to the University Medical Center in […]
By Emily Tubb Monroe Journal AMORY – Unofficial results from Tuesday’s alcohol referendum indicate that Amory voters want to keep the town alcohol-free. For the sale, distribution and possession of light wine with an alcohol content of less than 5 percent and beer of an alcoholic content of no more than 8 percent, the vote […]
HOUSTON – Getting your child ready for college is one thing, getting them in is something else. The Houston School of Science and Technology (HSST) is offering a chance for parents to learn ways to help their student be successful on the state subject area tests, the ACT and applying for college scholarships. “Many parents […]
Houston football coach William Cook introduces the Hilltopper football team during the Houston Tailgate Party on the Courthouse Square in Downtown Houston Thursday afternoon. The Hilltopper take on Koscuisko for homecoming at 7 p.m. Friday with the Homecoming Queen crowned at halftime. Photos of Thursday’s Tailgate Party can be found by clicking the BUY PHOTO […]
HOULKA – The revelation of a $100,000 budget shortfall has the Houlka Board of Aldermen taking drastic measures in an effort to balance city books. The shortfall has prompted aldermen to cut city employee’s pay and insurance and take bids to sell the former Bancorp South building that now serves as City Hall. Houlka City […]
The community will gather on The Square in downtown Houston at 6 p.m. Thursday to celebrate homecoming with Houston High School. Downtown merchants are asked to decorate their window for Friday’s football game with Koscuisko or with their favorite college team colors. Homecoming maids, sports teams, cheerleaders, band members and the Solar Race team will […]
- School ratings a shame November 16, 2014
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Roof concerns discussed again November 20, 2014
- Holiday stockpile November 20, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Brand, Wright honored by ICC November 22, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- WEEK 14: High school football playoff scores November 22, 2014
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Hunting is part of my heritage November 21, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago