STARKVILLE — The Early Years Network: Special Needs program is hosting a free Developmental Screening Day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Starkville Aug. 18. A team of early childhood specialists with the network’s special needs program will conduct screenings at the Child Development and Family Studies Center, located at 501 Collegeview Street […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Dear Editor, It is with sincere regret that I feel I must write this letter to inform the community regarding the unprofessional and discourteous treatment I received after my child was turned down for medical care at the Trace Regional After Hours Clinic located here in Houston. On Tuesday July 7, 2015, my husband and […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Trampis C. Boyd, a resident of Okolona, recently attended the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar held at Milsaps College in Jackson. Boyd joined more than 202 other young high school leaders from the region. Representing Okolona High School, Trampis is the son of Trampis and Diana Boyd. […]
I had resolved to have no public comment on the latest tempest in a teapot, but correspondents keep asking, so here goes. You there! Yes, you two kids on the playground squabbling over the flag . . . Stop it! You’re being silly. You both need a time out – or a spanking. Yes, I […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center is looking for overweight, inactive children and their families who want to make a change. F.I.T. (Families in Transformation) is scheduled for Aug. 17-Oct. 8 for children ages 8-13 with their parent or guardian. Education/exercise sessions are required for each child and a parent […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — Debby Carnathan grew up around agriculture and has even made a career out of it, but she will be the first to say she doesn’t have a green thumb. As director of the Chickasaw County USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Carnathan can quickly help landowners with conservation […]
“They” say one should never mix religion and politics. Interestingly, America’s Founders ensured a combination of freedom of religion and freedom of speech in a political context in the very first Amendment of the Bill of Rights: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The State Fire Marshal is investigating the cause of a Friday morning fire that killed a Houlka woman, and while foul play is not suspected at this time the exact cause of death has not been determined. Emergency crews responded to the call at County Road 309 north […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – As the new Houlka Attendance Center rises from the ashes, Chickasaw County School Board Trustees went about the normal business of starting school and educating children this fall. During its Tuesday, Aug. 4, meeting Trustees heard details of a proposed new building to replace […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – He was the state’s most highly recruited football player and the No. 2 prospect in the nation in 2012 and in his third year at Mississippi State, Chris Jones wants this to be the season he and the Bulldogs once again take the national spotlight. Jones played […]
Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal ENON – Hunters wanting to hone their skills just before dove season are being urged to attend the Enon Skeet Shoot hosted by the Enon Hunting Club this coming weekend. The event will see participants shoot five shots from five stations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – New Houston School District Superintendent Tony Cook told teachers on their first day back in school he wanted to see “Topper Pride” recognized and rewarded in Houston Schools once again. And with that he named Karen Cook, Ag Sciences teacher at the Houston School of Science and […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: Precinct by precinct results can be found in this week’s edition of the Chickasaw Journal found at newstands around Chickasaw County. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Chuquatonchee Creek divides the county physically and Tuesday night election results show it divides it politically. “Candidates have three weeks until the primary runoff,” […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County last week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back in school. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver. […]
- TEE IT UP: Week 1 High School Football Capsules August 21, 2015
- Houlka ponders water system changes August 24, 2015
- Season of new beginnings August 24, 2015
- Monroe County deputy shot following traffic stop August 24, 2015
- Sweet potato field day will be held Aug. 27 August 25, 2015
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody in MSU gun scare August 27, 2015
- Potential + Effort = Success August 26, 2015
- Reward offered in Monroe County deputy shooting case August 26, 2015
- ICC names 2015 Spring graduates August 26, 2015
- Alabama man indicted in fatal Trace wreck August 25, 2015
- Randy Wanat: Change "Christianity" to "Islam" and suddenly ...
- TRSmith: What happens to students who reside in the distric...
- Beth: The only way to protect ourselves and our benefits...
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago