Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
The U.S. Senate election in which Democrat Travis Childers of Booneville is challenging six-term Republican incumbent Thad Cochran will not be the only contest on the Nov. 4 general election ballot for Northeast Mississippians. Voters in the region can vote on the 1st District U.S. House race, local circuit and chancery judge elections and a […]
HOUSTON – It may be the best dollar Chickasaw County ever spent. The Houston School District sold a used school bus to Chickasaw County last week for $1, with the vehicle slated to be refitted as a mass-casualty ambulance that can shuttle the hurting to local hospitals. “We found out about this grant from the […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) has confirmed two new Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) cases with one being diagnosed in Calhoun County. The two cases were reported Tuesday in young children, with the other one from Forrest County. A case was reported in a Hancock County child last week. “There have been some reports in […]
TUPELO – Emily Word was trained as a social worker by the University of Mississippi, so she knows how to meet people where they are. But her clients at Living Independence For Everyone in Tupelo can be challenging. “Sometimes people call and they just complain and want to be more disabled than they are,” said […]
HOUSTON – In small towns just about everybody is kin, reducing the pool of qualified applicants, and a recent Ethics Commission ruling has conflicted a Mississippi Attorney General opinion that says family members cannot serve under elected officials. A recent Mississippi Ethics Commission ruling says it is Ok for a financially independent sibling of an […]
TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center is currently accepting students for the new session of the Clinical Pastoral Education program, which begins in October. This seminary-level course advances pastoral care and counseling skills for ministers and seminary students of all faiths through supervised encounters with individuals in crisis. Students of NMMC’s Clinical Pastoral Education program […]
HOUSTON – It’s no secret there are fewer farmers and fewer farmers in American than there were 20 years ago, but there is still a bright future in agriculture in this country. Mitch Baker, National FFA Secretary, came to Houston last week to visit with Houston High School ag students and talk about jobs and […]
The Common Core State Standards are still the focus of debate of many politicians. Some argue that it is federal government interfering in state education. For the most part those allegations lost traction at the state level through failed court battles. But contention remains within both political parties. Although it seems that it is predominantly […]
Staff reports Oxford 43, West Point 22 Oxford took a big step to earning the top spot in Division 1-5A with a 43-22 win over West Point Friday night at McCallister Field. Down 22-8 late in the first half, the Chargers (4-1) scored just before the half and then really changed the complexion of […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 42, Corinth 7 Amory 27, Bruce 0 Baldwyn 42, Tishomingo Co. 14 Calhoun Aca. 37, Strider Aca. 6 Calhoun City 54, N. Panola 6 Coffeeville 52, Biggersville 0 East Webster 38, J.Z. George 7 Eupora 36, Houston 28 Falkner 54, Houlka 0 Harding, Tenn. 30, Booneville 22 Hatley 48, TCPS 6 […]
HOUSTON – The 33rd Mississippi Valley Flywheel Fall Festival is the laid-back show that is always the last weekend in September. Houston’s down-home festival showcasing an age-gone-by will be held Friday and Saturday Sept. 26-27 at Joe Brigance Park and will see all the regular events and activities that has endeared this festival to North […]
FEATURED GAMES Hernando (2-2) at Tupelo (4-0) THE PLAYERS Hernando: QB Will Craft has completed 57 of 100 for 602 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT. … WR Caleb Wilcke has 22 catches for 268 yards, 5 TD. … RBs Leon Cunningham and Quentin Frazier have scored 5 TD each. … LB Cortez Newberry has recorded team-high […]
Monroe Journal OKOLONA – An Okolona man was arrested Wednesday on a marijuana charge. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department arrested Brad L. Small, 40. He is charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. The arrest was the result of a search warrant that was served on a residence on Smith Drive in Monroe […]
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- October 23, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- STEVE COKER: The Wisdom of Potatoes October 25, 2014
- Life Chain hosts annual event October 25, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago