Dear Editor, This letter is concerning the Houston School District policy on not allowing the usage of the school facilities by teachers and former administrators for events of personal and public interest. I, Zora Cousin, requested the usage of the Houston High School Auditorium to hold by husband’s, Warren G. Cousin, Sr., funeral services. I […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Economic Development Administration (EDA) has approved a $1.47 million investment grant to help construct a new water system to serve current and future tenants at Houston’s industrial park. The funding will cover just over half of the projected $2.94 million cost of the project. The City of Houston applied for the competitive […]
By David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – With only five photo affidavit ballots left to possibly count, the legalization of liquor sales inside the city of Pontotoc still hangs in the balance. The vote, for the moment, is tied. Those five ballots will not change the final outcome of beer/light wine sales, which was unofficially […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Education plans to seek grants from the federal government worth up to $15 million a year for four years to expand an existing pre-kindergarten program. That money could boost Mississippi’s fledgling effort to provide state-paid preschool for 4-year-olds. Supporters had hoped lawmakers would expand […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 57, Itawamba AHS 29 Booneville 43, Tishomingo Co. 28 Bruce 25, West Bolivar 12 Calhoun Aca. 33, N. River Christ. 28 Calhoun City 20, Ripley 12 Choctaw Co. 28, Houston 26 Coffeeville 48, Thrasher 0 Corinth 52, New Albany 13 East Webster 33, Caledonia 23 Falkner 33, Hamilton 26 Hatley 41, […]
JACKSON – New for the upcoming 2014-15 deer hunting season are changes in “legal weapons” regulations for private lands in Mississippi. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after Nov. 30, deer hunters may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands. This regulation change was made during the 2013 Legislative Session […]
Constitution Week is the commemoration of America’s most important document. It is celebrated annually during the week of Sept. 17-23. Did you know 1. Our Constitution has 4,400 words. 2. It took more than 100 days to draft the Constitution. 3. The word “democracy” does not appear in the Constitution. 4. The oldest of the […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains played their hearts out but victory evaded them on Homecoming night as the Blytheville Choctaws won 25-24. Okolona fell behind early but battle back for a whirlwind fourth quarter that saw them take the lead. A couple of questionable calls allowed the Choctaws to score the last points and stalled a […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltopper started with a bang as they scored 12 runs in their first at bat and came back in the second inning to score five more. Houston notched 16 hits in the 17-3 vitory over Calhoun City last week. Hilltopper Talaja Echols hit a homer in the first inning to inspire […]
HOUSTON – Hilltopper senior running back Brandon Townsend has several nicknames: Boosie, Big Boy and The Bus. And the wheels on The Bus went round and round as Townsend and the Houston offense ran long and ran hard in a 26-7 win over East Webster Friday night. Houston has a tendency to win ballgames where […]
HOUSTON – It was not quite as simple as putting up new signs and constructing a new waiting room, but those were the most visible changes when Trace Regional Hospital closed its emergency room and opened its clinic last week. The hospital went from offering emergency room services to rural clinical services at 9 a.m. […]
It was a simple maintenance change on the outside, but it represented a complex change in healthcare in this community. Trace Regional Hospital changed the signage on its campus Monday directing people not to an emergency room but to a rural clinic. Trace, after months of planning and public discussion, formally closed its emergency room […]
HOUSTON – A bomb scare at the local WalMart was apparently part of a wider scam to extort money from businesses across Northeast Mississippi Wednesday afternoon. The Houston store was contacted by phone about 2 p.m. and told to wire money to a “green money card” or a bomb would be detonated in the store. […]
By Regina Butler Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Unofficial results in Tuesday’s special election showed Pontotoc residents approved the legalization of beer sales, while the legalization of liquor sales was narrowly defeated. Unofficial results Tuesday night are still subject to the counting of 55 affidavit ballots which will be counted on Sept. 24, officials said. Unofficial […]
- County picks MedStat ambulances September 25, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- Future of farming September 28, 2014
- NMMC offers pastoral education program September 28, 2014
- Aldermen eye Ethics opinion September 29, 2014
- EPA conducts water quality study on Chico Creek October 1, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Enterovirus D68 confirmed in Calhoun County September 30, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago