HOULKA – Thousands of people have already walked, run and cycled the Tanglefoot Trail and Houlka is trying to get a few of them to stop and spend a few dollars downtown. The CREATE Community Guidance Class at Mississippi State University has developed a project aimed at pointing Trail Trekers to the businesses and stores […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The 150th anniversary of the Civil War is underway and the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society has invited the author of a book about the local history of that event to speak in Houston. David Harrison, author of the book “Okolona in the Civil War” will be the guest speaker at […]
The National Weather office in Memphis has issued a freeze warning for all of Northeast Mississippi’s counties, beginning at 1 a.m. Wednesday and extending until 9 a.m. The temperature is expected to fall to 31 degrees or lower, posing a threat to young vegetation. The NWS archives show that the latest freeze in Tupelo was […]
MEMPHIS – No charges are being filed at this time against a Pontotoc County Sheriff’s deputy who was involved in a shooting on Beale Street on Saturday morning in Memphis. A public information officer with the Memphis Police Department said the details of the shooting were presented to the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office, and […]
HOULKA – When firefighters typically gather in bunch there is usually a fire and Saturday’s community event in downtown Houlka was no different. “We are good at putting out fire and here we are trying to start one,” said Houlka Fire Chief Terry Short. “We are cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and we’ve got all the trimmings. […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Police Department is cracking down on juvenile crime and parents of kids caught out after curfew will be fined. Houston has a weeknight curfew of 11 p.m., and midnight on weekend. While parents are responsible for any fines imposed by the court for curfew violation, any juvenile who violates the city’s […]
HOULKA – Bad decisions can change a driver’s life in an instant. More than 150 Houlka High School students watched videos and heard Mississippi Highway Patrolman Criss Turnipseed talk about the pitfalls of drinking while driving, texting and doing any kind of activity that impairs driving at a class assembly Friday at Houlka Attendance […]
Mr. and Mrs. Eric Laiche of Houston are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Jessica Carmon Laiche, to Carter Graham Holland, son of Dr. and Mrs. John Holland of Hattiesburg, Miss. Miss Laiche is a graduate of Houston High School and will receive a Bachelor of Food Science degree in Nutrition and Health […]
STARKVILLE – Industry leaders will gather at Mississippi State University on April 23 to discuss existing and potential issues related to manufacturing and how to capitalize on the state’s current momentum. Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves will be the keynote speaker at the 2014 Manufacturing Summit: The Road Ahead. The event will be held at the […]
By David Brandt AP Sports Writer STARKVILLE – As a freshman, Chris Jones was arguably Mississippi State’s best defensive football player. The scary part for opponents is he didn’t really know what he was doing. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive tackle from nearby Houston used his sheer talent to finish with 32 tackles, including seven tackles […]
HOUSTON – The Taste of Houston is shaping up well with several businesses on board to provide a sample of their favorite recipes and a little glimpse into their wares, services and products. The Taste of Houston has a different twist this year with business owners and merchants taking the serving spots on the buffet […]
HOUSTON – It seemed like a good idea at the time for Houston Aldermen to average water bills for city residents. But 26 water customers – some with water bills for several hundred dollars — attended last week’s city board meeting and got the city to backtrack on the plan. “We made the decision to […]
Regardless of what you have read or heard, this newspaper doesn’t make the news – we just report it. But a quick look at the headlines in this week’s Chickasaw Journal will show that something is happening in Houlka. We’ve got a story on distracted driving, the fire department seeking volunteers and the downtown area […]
Vandalism is a part of doing business with the world. It is sad to say there are people who get a certain amount or pleasure or entertainment out of tearing up public property. We find that a sad way to live life. We also understand it is a crime. A news article in last weeks […]
- Man arrested on sexual battery charges April 24, 2014
- Paying it forward April 23, 2014
- Crunch time! April 23, 2014
- Gov. Bryant signs teacher pay bill giving $2,500 raise April 23, 2014
- Dean Andrews April 23, 2014
- Man arrested on sexual battery charges April 24, 2014
- Traffic stop land Texas man in jail on meth charges April 24, 2014
- Lady Cats fall to Lady ‘Noles April 24, 2014
- Wolverines, Ladies claim top spots April 24, 2014
- Lady Rams in third heading to playoffs April 24, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 11 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 11 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 11 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 11 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 11 months ago