AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 41, Nettleton 0 Baldwyn 45, Mantachie 14 Biggersville 20, Vardaman 14 Booneville 55, Alcorn Central 6 Briarfield, La. 52, Calhoun Aca. 36 Caledonia 28, Houston 27 Calhoun City 56, Bruce 15 Corinth 49, Pontotoc 14 E. Webster 31, Okolona 22 Falkner 19, Thrasher 12 Grenada 14, Tupelo 11 Hamilton 46, Houlka […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOULKA – Mississippi’s First Lady Deborah Bryant hugged and read to every third grader at Houlka Elementary School last week. Bryant, the wife of Gov. Phil Bryant, was in Chickasaw County as part of her “Read Across Mississippi” tour Tuesday and read the book “The Fib: A Wordy Tale” to the two classes of third […]
HOUSTON – Residents have until Saturday to register with the Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office to be eligible to vote in the Nov. 4 general elections. The November election will see voters pick a U.S. Senator, area judges and also cast their ballot for local school board trustees. Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Cassandra Pulliams said […]
EUPORA – It as a fight to the death and Houston did not give up until the bitter end. Houston fell to Eupora, 36-28, in a hard-fought contest that saw the Hilltoppers battle back at the end, but it was not enough as the Eagles used the big play to seal the game Friday night […]
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
HOUSTON – The water in a Chickasaw County creek did not turn to wine last week, but it did turn red as part of a water quality study. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) began monitoring the water quality in Chico Creek in Chickasaw County near Houston Sept. 10. Chico Creek is south of […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
The U.S. Senate election in which Democrat Travis Childers of Booneville is challenging six-term Republican incumbent Thad Cochran will not be the only contest on the Nov. 4 general election ballot for Northeast Mississippians. Voters in the region can vote on the 1st District U.S. House race, local circuit and chancery judge elections and a […]
HOUSTON – It may be the best dollar Chickasaw County ever spent. The Houston School District sold a used school bus to Chickasaw County last week for $1, with the vehicle slated to be refitted as a mass-casualty ambulance that can shuttle the hurting to local hospitals. “We found out about this grant from the […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) has confirmed two new Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) cases with one being diagnosed in Calhoun County. The two cases were reported Tuesday in young children, with the other one from Forrest County. A case was reported in a Hancock County child last week. “There have been some reports in […]
TUPELO – Emily Word was trained as a social worker by the University of Mississippi, so she knows how to meet people where they are. But her clients at Living Independence For Everyone in Tupelo can be challenging. “Sometimes people call and they just complain and want to be more disabled than they are,” said […]
HOUSTON – In small towns just about everybody is kin, reducing the pool of qualified applicants, and a recent Ethics Commission ruling has conflicted a Mississippi Attorney General opinion that says family members cannot serve under elected officials. A recent Mississippi Ethics Commission ruling says it is Ok for a financially independent sibling of an […]
TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center is currently accepting students for the new session of the Clinical Pastoral Education program, which begins in October. This seminary-level course advances pastoral care and counseling skills for ministers and seminary students of all faiths through supervised encounters with individuals in crisis. Students of NMMC’s Clinical Pastoral Education program […]
HOUSTON – It’s no secret there are fewer farmers and fewer farmers in American than there were 20 years ago, but there is still a bright future in agriculture in this country. Mitch Baker, National FFA Secretary, came to Houston last week to visit with Houston High School ag students and talk about jobs and […]
- When seconds count October 13, 2014
- HOUSTON HOMECOMING QUEEN 2014 October 16, 2014
- County revisits dog law October 17, 2014
- Art in the Park October 17, 2014
- Crowds pack Cornbread Festival October 17, 2014
- EDITORIAL: The Power of Pink October 20, 2014
- Molly May faces breast cancer head on October 20, 2014
- Pharr/Hollingsworth October 19, 2014
- Hankins/Akins October 19, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: New math isn’t new October 18, 2014
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago