OKOLONA – The weather was perfect Monday night as more than 50 units took part in the Okolona Christmas Parade. The theme of this year’s parade was “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and saw a variety of floats, walking troops, car clubs and two bands march down Main Street. “I thought the crowd was good […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Daily Journal What remains of bankrupt Furniture Brands International will be overseen by a former officer of the company. Last week, Furniture Brands completed the sale of most of its assets to KPS Capital Partners for $280 million. In the sale on Nov. 25, KPS got Lane, Broyhill, Thomasville, Drexel Heritage, Maitland-Smith, Henredon, Hickory Chair, […]
They are an Okolona favorite and word is quickly spreading to the rest of Northeast Mississippi. Brody’s Family Restaurant is known for good food offered in a family atmosphere and cooked by people who truly care about how it tastes and is served. Established more than 12 years ago, Brody’s has developed a reputation of […]
HOUSTON – Houston Upper Elementary School has released the students of the week for Nov.18-22. Third Grade Hillouse- Ayana Pettit McFarland- Kalayshia Johnson Moss- Jania Baskin Owens- Greyson Moore Rimmer- Mea Jones Fourth Grade Atkins- Kalena Williams Holland- Caleb Fuller Kimbrough- Jabarius Gates Kirby- Peyton Dotson Moore- Saraya Crawford Parker/Vance- Harley Grimes Fifth Grade Carr- […]
Dec. 4 The United Blood Services bloodmobile will be at Faith Outreach Church in Okolona Dec. 4 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. All blood donations are welcome. Dec. 6 Houston Holiday Bazaar and Fashion Show is set for 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center on North […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC COUNTY — Law enforcement officials are investigating a one car accident early Tuesday Dec. 3 morning which claimed the life of a Pontotoc High School senior girl. Authorities said that senior Macie Atkinson, 17, was killed when the car she was driving ran off of Highway 336 and struck […]
A very wide load will be moving from West Point to Tennessee on Thursday. The Mississippi Department of Transportation has issued a traffic advisory regarding the load being hauled by Barnhart Crane & Rigging. The company will be carrying a boiler assembly that measures 22 feet wide, 12 feet high and 208 feet long. The […]
TUPELO – There are Golden Angels that are anxiously awaiting adoption. Chick-fil-A of Thompson Square in Tupelo is working again this year with five area nursing homes and they need your help. Participating nursing homes include: n Tupelo Nursing and Rehabilitation Center n Traceway n Golden Living of Tupelo n Golden Living of Amory n […]
Daily Journal For the fourth consecutive month, the unemployment rate in Northeast Mississippi declined. Last week, the Mississippi Department of Employment Security released preliminary numbers showing the 16-county region’s jobless rate fell to 8.7 percent in October. That’s the second-lowest rate this year in the region, and only the seventh time since November 2008 the […]
OKOLONA – The three first grade classes from Okolona Elementary School held a Thanksgiving Feast Nov. 21 and, in the true spirit of the season, invited friends to join them. First grade teachers, Mallory Ellis, Sonja Hobson and Michelle Priest, along with first grade students welcomed parents, school board members and principal, Lashanda Hoskins to […]
HOUSTON – The holiday season is quickly approaching and Christmas parades are being planned for various locations in the readership area. n The Town of Woodland will light up the season with the annual Christmas lights throughout the village depicting holiday scenes. Driving and walking tours begin Thanksgiving night and are at no charge. […]
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Susan Skelton Guest, a native of Houston, was recently named 2013-14 President of ASID Carolinas (American Society of Interior Designers) at the chapter conference in Greenville, S.C. After working for other design firms for 10 years, Susan opened Guest Interiors in 1993 in Hickory, N.C. The firm specializes in residential, commercial, and […]
HOUSTON – The recent spate of cold weather often sparks a series of house fires as residents try to keep warm. The Houston Fire Department urges residents to take a little extra precaution to prevent a fire this winter and especially during the holiday season. “There are a lot of things that come together at […]
Dozens of readers played the first annual Turkeyology game in the Chickasaw Journal and two winners were drawn from the winning entries to have a happy Thanksgiving. Dorothy Isbell of Okolona and Kay Davis of Houston won turkeys donated from Sav-A-Lot and Grocer’s Pride in Houston. Isbell is a former subscriber who purchased her […]
- Come in from the cold December 9, 2013
- Letters to Santa due Dec. 12 December 6, 2013
- A family tradition December 6, 2013
- Peggy Stovall December 6, 2013
- Robert Miller December 6, 2013
- Come in from the cold December 9, 2013
- WEDDING: Easley/Smith December 8, 2013
- GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY: Hudson December 8, 2013
- Lee Williams December 8, 2013
- Joy Ray December 8, 2013
- Iggy: I am from the uk and just watching worlds strictes...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Look who’s reading now! […]...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Houlka gym renovation […]...
- Linda: He does NOT make it right. I ordered beef from him...
- Reed Jones: Greenwood's division record is 5-0....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 6 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 6 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 6 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 6 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 6 months ago