By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – People will not need to obtain a permit to carry a firearm in a purse, briefcase or luggage under legislation signed into law Friday by Gov. Phil Bryant. Under current Mississippi law and constitutional provisions, a person needs a permit to carry a concealed gun. A […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal PONTOTOC – For the first time in the campaign for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat, a majority of the candidates gathered to speak Tuesday evening. Twelve of the 13 candidates running in the May 12 special election spoke during an event sponsored by the Pontotoc Republican Executive Committee. A representative […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOUSTON – Houston does a lot of things well on the baseball field. The Hilltoppers hit well, field well, pitch well, but they also get along well. Shortstop Denver McQuary insisted that is what drives them, not their chances to compete for a Class 4A championship. “We’re just trying to […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal MOOREVILLE – Chris Hussey isn’t a row-crop farmer like his brother, Herman, which means he doesn’t plant corn, soybeans or cotton. However, he is like every other grower across Northeast Mississippi wondering when the wet weather will relent and give him much-needed time in his fields. Chris Hussey has Hussey […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Will Porter plead guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in Chickasaw County Circuit Court on the last day of the March term. The case stems from the death of Amanda Porter, 23, who was found stabbed at her home in Houston in January 2013. Porter, 29, […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Tupelo’s pitching ran out of gas, and the Houston Hilltoppers were more than happy to zoom past for a road win. With key hits by Zach Poteete and Reid Carter, Houston accounted for four runs in the top of the seventh against five Tupelo pitchers […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – West Lauderdale stood atop the 4A-Region 4 softball standing Monday with a 5-1 district record and Houston is second at 3-1. The Lady Knights trounced the Lady Hilltoppers in a key district match last week 9-6 with they Lady Knights having one big inning and Houston having […]
Spring has arrived in Chickasaw County and if the sun is shining we will all get that primordial urge to clear, dig and plant. Women have conducted Spring cleaning in this community since pioneer days when their ancestors heralded the first warm weather as a sign to wash, sweep and clear the house of winter’s […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Governor Phil Bryant has signed legislation that will see Houston residents vote on a proposed tourism tax. The measure now heads back to the Houston Board of Aldermen to set a date for taxpayers to go to the poll and vote on a 1-percent tax on motel room […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – A Vardaman coach was formally charged and arrested Wednesday morning after allegations of inappropriate contact with a student were reported last week to authorities. Billy Joe Dill, Jr., 36, a softball coach at Vardaman High School, was charged with fondling, sexual battery and enticement of a child in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – A Vardaman coach will be in court Wednesday morning for a probable cause hearing after allegations surfaced last week of inappropriate contact with a student. Calhoun County School officials and the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Department have been tight-lipped about the incident and declined to answer questions about […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A woman is dead and her nephew is in custody and facing murder charges following a family dispute that ended in a shooting an standoff with authorities Monday afternoon. The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department responded to a 911 call on Highway 41 north of Okolona at 5:04 p.m. […]
By Adam Armour Itawamba County Times Officials with the Itawamba County Sheriff’s Department say they have located a Fulton truck driver who had been missing since mid-March, although the details surrounding his disappearance are still hazy. On Friday, an anonymous tipster reported to authorities that Danny Wilson, 46, a driver with Cooley Trucking, was at […]
By Adam Armour Itawamba County Times FULTON – The search continues for a Fulton truck driver who has been missing for two weeks. Danny Wilson, 46, a driver with Cooley Trucking, left Fulton on March 17 with a destination of Weatherford, Texas. He never made it. Members of Wilson’s family filed a missing persons report […]
- Governor signs concealed carry bills April 11, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days this week April 16, 2015
- Got a green thumb? April 16, 2015
- Indictments served in West Point Huddle House assault April 16, 2015
- Houlka Spring Market is April 18 April 16, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Discrimination cuts one way April 18, 2015
- Vardaman softball coach arrested April 18, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Eye and ears April 17, 2015
- Okolona honors movers-and-shakers April 17, 2015
- Teaching safety April 17, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago