Daily Journal The schedule for Friday and Saturday’s MHSAA State Tournament basketball tournament games involving a Northeast Mississippi teams has been changed because of weather-related travel concerns. Two boys games scheduled for Friday have been moved to Monday at Jackson State: 9 a.m., Class 4A – New Albany vs. McComb; 10:30 a.m., Class 2A – […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Counties in extreme Northeast Mississippi can expect significant ice and sleet accumulations starting as early as 9 p.m. tonight and continuing until about 6 a.m. Thursday, the National Weather Service office in Memphis said late Tuesday afternoon. Forecaster John Moore III said the revised outlook for winter precipitation across most […]
Staff reports STARKVILLE – Andre Davis drew a bases-loaded walk in the top of the eighth inning to give Arkansas Pine Bluff the lead and the Golden Lions dealt Mississippi State its first loss of the season, 3-2, at a rain-soaked Dudy Noble Field. The Bulldogs had opened the season by winning their first 13 […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal The days ahead bring the prospect of a yet another winter storm after a balmy break today. All Northeast Mississippi counties have been placed under a winter storm watch by the National Weather Service office in Memphis for Wednesday through early Thursday, with significant sleet and snow accumulations and as […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BIG CREEK – Two Calhoun County residents were killed Saturday night in a one-car crash involving a deer in Calhoun County. According to Sheriff Greg Pollan, around 8:20 p.m., seven residents were riding in a Chevy Tahoe when it struck a deer on County Road 308 near County Road 327 […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mike Hurst, stepping down from his role as a federal prosecutor, is running as a Republican against Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood. The 39-year-old Madison resident qualified Friday to seek the Republican nomination, saying Mississippi’s attorney general should be more active in fighting public corruption and should do […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal The remaining first-round games of the MHSAA girls basketball playoffs postponed Monday and Wednesday because of Winter Storm Remus are expected to be played today. Most of the boys’ first-round games were played Tuesday. A few were rescheduled for today. Some girls teams, including Itawamba AHS and Ripley, were able […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal More than 4,000 homes in Chickasaw County were without power at one point yesterday and roughly 2,000 were without electricity Thursday, after a massive winter storm dumped 8-inches of snow on Houston. “Those today are just in our service area and we probably have the same amount without […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Did you really think there would be school today? With Wednesday’s snowfall dropping over 8-inches on roads in Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi school districts, businesses and institutions have begun announcing closings for Thursday. The following school districts will be closed: * Calhoun County Schools * Calhoun Academy * Chickasaw […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The following Northeast Mississippi school districts have announced they will be closed on Wednesday, as the forecast calls for the possibility of a couple of inches of snow: * Aberdeen * Amory * Baldwyn * Calhoun County Schools. * Chickasaw County Schools (Houlka). * Clay County Schools * […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Houston’s boys and girls basketball teams lost in Tuesday’s Division 4-4A Tournament openers, effectively ending their seasons. Until … Until the school was alerted by the MHSAA that division opponent Noxubee County’s basketball teams had been ruled ineligible for playing too many regular season games. Teams are allowed 28 games. […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Many of Monday’s girls North tournament basketball games have been postponed due to potentially icy road conditions. Boys tournament openers were scheduled for Tuesday, with the second round scheduled for Saturday. Girls’ second-round games are scheduled for Friday. Here is the new schedule, as best we can tell, via texts, […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Divide or unite March 21, 2015
- Supervisors waiting for roads to dry March 26, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tis spring and a young man’s thoughts turn to . . . baseball March 26, 2015
- Lady Hilltoppers are rolling March 26, 2015
- Hilltopper tennis squeezes in games March 26, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- IHL, Jones mull possible contract extension March 27, 2015
- Region’s jobless rate rises March 27, 2015
- Ole Miss rallies for Jones March 26, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago