By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Two Hilltopper softball stars are moving on to shine on the diamond at Mississippi Delta Community College in Moorhead this fall. Talaja Echoles and Quaneisha Pratt made it official Friday, May 1, as family, friends, coaches and teammates gathered in the Commons at Houston High School to watch […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Incoming freshmen who will be members of the Itawamba Community College All-American Band for 2015-16 include several area residents. They are: Amory – Locke Burrell, Dalton Garcia, Jordan Ginn, Elizabeth Higgins, Yen Nguyen, Hannah Schmoock; Calhoun City – Stacy Brown; Gore Springs – Nicholas McClain; Houlka – McKenzie Morris; […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – If stealing second base has to involve a flotation device, the state baseball championships may be moving from a start today to a Wednesday start. With water standing at second base at Trustmark Park, MHSAA officials were scheduled to make a decision sometime this morning on whether the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Koby Micheal Hill, of Houston, has accepted membership in The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS). “NSCS is more than just a symbol of academic achievement. Membership gives students access to a number of amazing benefits including career and networking resources, scholarships, travel, and service projects both on […]
What roles will social issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and religious freedom play in the 2016 presidential race? On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court decided abortion was a legal right, thus settling the debate … right! In January of this year an estimated 600,000 people marched in Washington to protest the legalization of abortion. […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – City taxpayers will decide Aug. 11 if Houston will levy a tax to market the town to the world. The Houston Board of Aldermen voted 4-0 at their May 5 meeting to set the election that will require businesses to collect a 1 percent tax on prepared food […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal In the spirit of the season we have found the perfect reason to gather friends and family… Together with their parents, Shana Alford Smith and Mykkie Smith request the honor of your presence at the renewing of their marriage vows Saturday May 23, 2015 at four o’clock […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been inducted into Sigma Beta Delta, the international honor society for business, at Williams Baptist College. The induction ceremony was held April 8. Sigma Beta Delta is open to college juniors and seniors in the field of business. To qualify for […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Jerry and Martha Jenkins Griffin celebrate their Golden Anniversary this month and lived in Houston for 23 years before moving to Tupelo and now live in Saltillo. Their marriage has been blessed with a daughter, Carla Starr Griffin Parker; four grandchildren, Alayna Starr Parker, Linda Mae Dillard, Cody and Chad […]
“White privilege…” I keep seeing this phrase in political/social commentary. What exactly does it mean? I was born in 1947 to a veteran to the third great war of empire, a.k.a., World War II. My father was summoned from the obscurity and insularity of the Kilgore Hills in Clay County to serve the interests of […]
History comes alive next week with a fundraiser by the Chicksasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society bringing back notable residents to tell about their life and times in the community. The Chickasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society is putting on “Voices of Yesteryear” a cemetery walk with characters in period dress depicting those buried […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Army Pvt. Rachel E. Wooten has graduated from basic combat training at Fort Jackson, Columbia, S.C. During the nine weeks of training, the soldier studied the Army mission, history, tradition and core values, physical fitness, and received instruction and practice in basic combat skills, military weapons, chemical warfare and bayonet training. Wooten also learned […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats came on strong this spring and went three-rounds deep into the MHSAA Baseball Playoffs before falling to Smithville last week. The Wildcats fell in two games to a strong Smithville team with a 6-14 loss on Tuesday and the season ending 3-7 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal WEST POINT – The Clay County Sheriff’s Officer is investigating a shooting that left one man dead and is asking the community for details about the incident. According to Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter, James White, 38, of Houston, died from apparent multiple gunshot wounds. Authorities were called around […]
- CRIME ROUNDUP: Houston resident arrested for sexual assault May 16, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- HELP WANTED: Mentors, volunteers sought for COPES May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago