Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO —The North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital will offer a free pre-admission class for Spanish-speaking expectant mothers from 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Aug. 14. Recommended for women after their seventh month of pregnancy, the class includes information about the hospital stay, symptoms to report to the doctor, a hospital tour […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO — Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 1, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – Two Calhoun County residents have been arrested in connection with the death of Billy Covington. Frankie T. Jones, 26, of Pittsboro, was charged with first degree murder, and Ashley Hobson, 24, of Calhoun City, was charged with accessory after the fact. During their arraignments Friday, bond for […]
DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia What did I miss while traveling in Russia the past two weeks? The Supreme Court passed a law making same-sex marriage legal in all 50 states; Obama celebrated by decorating the White House with a rainbow; media attention shifted quickly from Christians in Charlotte miraculously forgiving a murderer […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Officials at Itawamba Community College have released the honors list for the 2015 spring semester. Named to the president’s list, which includes those students with a 3.8-4.0 grade point average were: Bruce – Laken L. Shankle; Calhoun City – Jasmin E. Feliciano, Todd H. Simon, Kelsey Jade Smith; Ecru […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County United Way Back to School Resource Fair, held Saturday, July 18 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the First Methodist Life Center in Houston, brought a turnout of hundreds of youngsters and their parents despite the 90 degree heat. The event offered […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Houlka town officials know where there’s an extra $20,000 or so available to the town. That money – visible but not totally accessible — is unpaid misdemeanor fines assessed by Houlka Municipal Court. For various reasons, collecting all the fines is virtually impossible, according […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Due to a limited number of players, Houlka Attendance Center’s football program will drop out of the Mississippi High School Activities Association 1A division and play independent games this year, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Only the football program will play independently; the school’s […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Agri-Center has completed renovation to the Houston landmark and is ready for the summer rodeo circuit, fall horse shows and anything else needing a large, indoor venue. “This has been a long time coming and we are proud of this,” said Rick Burgess, chairman […]
Most of us have probably “run afoul of the law” and been given a citation that we were required to pay or hauled into court and justice served with a more hefty fee and fine. The good folks of this world, admit their blunder, promise the judge they will be more careful and pay their […]
STARKVILLE – Preseason accolades continue to pile up for Mississippi State football defensive lineman Chris Jones, with the two-year letterman and Houston native named to the watch list for the Nagurski Trophy and the Outland Trophy. The Football Writers Association of America announced Friday that Jones and defensive back Will Redmond were on the […]
DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate Love and hate: we’ve seen extreme examples of both in Charleston, and both have evoked responses of nearly unanimous incredulity. The hatred of the young white man who murdered nine innocent black believers who had joined together to pray and study the Bible was perhaps more shocking than other mass […]
The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks approved high noon Friday, Sept. 4 as the opening day for dove season in Mississippi. The 2015-2016 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds was set by the Commission during its monthly meeting on June 10. These early seasons include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Forget the MLB All-Stars, Houston has a group of young men who have earned a long list of awards, honors and recognition in baseball this year. The Houston Hilltoppers made their first trip to the State Championship Game in Pearl this spring and were 2015 4A Runner-Up, losing […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting Fines July 23, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- ICC offering newNational Guard program July 27, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago