By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The line for expenses is going up and the line for revenue is headed down and they will cross in September. The Houston Board of Aldermen are looking at a projected $251,536 shortfall in September and met recently to consider where to cut and discussed raising water rates […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – She is no stranger to pageants, but Molly May is quick to say this is the big one. May is one of 30 young women from across the Magnolia State who have traveled to Vicksburg this week with their eye on the title of Miss Mississippi and the […]
Chickasaw County’s unemployment statistics released last week offer an encouraging statement about the area’s economy, perhaps the strongest affirmation so far of a comeback after the Great Recession late in the first decade of the century. After more than eight years of averaging a double digit jobless rate, it looks like folks are going back […]
BOONEVILLE — Three hundred and thirty-four (334) Northeast Mississippi Community College students achieved a grade point average (GPA) of 3.5-3.9 on a 4.0 scale for the 2015 spring semester and as a result have been named to the college’s distinguished Dean’s List. • Elizabeth Lucille Faulkner of Houlka. • Ashley Kiara Gates of Okolona. […]
SENATOBIA – Local prep athletes will soon have the chance to showcase their skills, as the Northwest baseball program will host a Futures and Prospect Day on Wednesday, July 1. Participants can register the day of the workout, which will begin at 10 a.m. at Jim Miles Field. The location could change due to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Zula Criddle Warnick, 109, passed away Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at Floy Dyer Nursing Home in Houston. She was born Feb. 16, 1906 in Chickasaw county to James Madison Criddle and Emma Ella Smith Criddle. She was the oldest resident of Chickasaw County and on her birthday, she was […]
Daily Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Court of Appeals has upheld a Calhoun County civil judgment over the death of cattle. James May filed three separate complaints in 2011 alleging Clemmie Walker’s three pit bulls killed his cattle. The cases were combined and in January 2013, Calhoun Circuit Court ruled May was entitled to $10,500 […]
By Emma Crawford Daily Journal TUPELO – The current debate about Mississippi’s Confederate battle flag emblem echoes the state’s 2001 referendum to remove the symbol from its flag. The latest round began after Republican Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn called the emblem offensive and said it needs to be removed from the state flag. The […]
Whoever coined the term, “brutally honest,” may have had a sister in mind. From time immemorial, sisters have served a vital social role by keeping their brothers grounded. The first inkling that most guys get that they’re nothing special and that their behavior is gross probably came from a sister. Mothers and grandmas dote […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – On May 22, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) stocked Florida-strain largemouth bass fingerlings into two Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway (TTW) lakes. Aberdeen Lake received approximately 48,000, and 25,000 were stocked into Lock C near Fulton. “Florida-strain largemouth bass are typically more aggressive, grow faster, and […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Motions made Monday by District 5 Supervisor Robert Tomey and seconded by District 4 Supervisor Fulton Ware sealed the deal to bring 100 new jobs to the region. The Monroe County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Monday on a purchase agreement and an immediate possession contract with […]
ABERDEEN – The Monroe County Narcotics Unit arrested four people in two separate incidents Monday. A traffic stop on Highway 41 resulted in the arrest of Gayla Marie Blansett, 49, of Okolona. She was charged with possession of ICE, a concentrated form of methamphetamine. Later that day, officers served a search warrant on Hurt Martin […]
CORVALLIS, Ore – Deanna K. Brown will be handed a diploma from Oregon State University when it hold its 146th commencement on Saturday, June 13, beginning at 10:30 a.m. in Reser Stadium. OSU is one of the few large universities in the nation to hand out students’ actual diplomas during the commencement ceremony. Brown […]
STARKVILLE – A number of area students have earned honors and degrees at the end of the 2015 spring term at Mississippi State University. Honor graduates include all bachelor-degree candidates with exceptional scholastic averages and at least half the total required course hours earned at MSU. Their specific levels of recognition and the minimum […]
- Florida largemouth bass stocked into Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway lakes June 24, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Truth inside the culture war June 27, 2015
- First National Bank changes name to First Choice Bank June 27, 2015
- TERRI TURNER: 2015 Woman Of The Year June 28, 2015
- JAMES MEYERS: 2015 Man Of The Year June 28, 2015
- Local talent attends ICC camp June 30, 2015
- United Way seeks support for backpacks June 30, 2015
- GED offered at WIN, Excel June 29, 2015
- Chickasaw jobless rate plummets June 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best June 28, 2015
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago