The Chickasaw County School District is once again participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children free of charge. Meals will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Meals will be served at the Houlka School Cafeteria each weekday from 7:50 to 8:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
Special to the Chickasaw Journal WALNUT RIDGE, Ark – Brennan Pugh, of Houston, has been presented the 2016 Business Award at Williams Baptist College. Pugh was selected for the award by the business faculty at WBC based on his academic achievement in the field. The honor was presented at WBC’s Academic Awards Banquet on April […]
Dear Editor, It ALL starts with education! Myth vs. Reality: Initiative 42 = Threats and Promises THREAT: Vote against Initiative OR ELSE these really bad things will happen: 1. Tax dollars for your schools will go to other districts; 2. Funding will have to be cut for things like mental health and regional centers; 3. […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Community leaders from across Northeast Mississippi will gather next week to discuss transforming public education and Mississippi’s infrastructure at the CREATE Foundation’s Commission on the Future of Northeast Mississippi State of the Region meeting. Seventeen counties in the region will be represented at the event. The 20th […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Okolona’s mayor and city council has unanimously voted to accept the donation of several pieces of blighted property from their owners, and put a number of other landowners on 30-day notice to clean up their land. The action is part of a move by the […]
They are the two biggest stories in Chickasaw County this week. Both the Houston’s tourism tax and the commission that will guide consolidation for our county have huge potential to change things for us. And your Chickasaw Journal is doing its dead-level best to keep you informed about both. Oh, and we are in the […]
HOUSTON – The following is a brief synopsis of The Commission on Chickasaw County Consolidated School District Structure as proposed by an amendment to House Bill 991. WHO: The commission shall be composed of ten members. One commissioner will be appointed by the State Superintendent of Education and will serve as chairman. Two will be appointed […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – An intense Denver McQuary asked his coach, Scott Gann, for the ball Saturday, moments after Houston’s Game 2 loss to Newton County. Gann obliged his senior right-hander Sunday night and it paid off big time as the Hilltoppers won the program’s first state championship. McQuary fired a seven-hitter […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – A 10-member Commission on Chickasaw County Consolidated School District Structure met last week at Mississippi State University. The meeting was not publicly announced by the state or local school districts who have named the members of the commission that will make suggestions to the state on consolidating […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Rob Marion Adversity Scholarship – named in honor of a late classmate who became an attorney despite near-total paralysis sustained in a traffic wreck – will be awarded during Chickasaw County School District graduation Friday, May 27 at Houlka Attendance Center. Plans are for […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – When a 30-win team loses by eight runs, it obviously wasn’t their day. That was the general consensus around the Houston Hilltoppers’ dugout following Saturday’s 9-1 loss to Newton County in Game 2 of the MHSAA Class 4A Baseball Championship series at Trustmark Park. The decisive Game 3 […]
Special to the Chicksaw Journal HOUSTON – Houston Lower Elementary School students lit up the stage as they shared nursery rhymes and sang about possibilities in their final productions of the year. Christy Watkins, science special class teacher, along with Emily Peel, librarian, and Ann Weaver, gym coach, create the programs that draws parents to […]
Higher wages for all people is a worthy cause to achieve. The states that want to raise the minimum wage should do so. Keep it on the state level. Washington State, Texas and Kentucky are three different states with entirely different economies. While one state may offer a minimum of $15 another state may find […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A Houston man has been charged with fraud after charging a variety of items at local businesses and allegedly reselling them. Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles said William Moore was arrested last week following an investigation and charged with obtaining good by fraud. After a preliminary hearing Moore […]
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago