OHS seniors complete semester projects OKOLONA – For seniors at Okolona High School, the last semester of school was no time to slack off in Ms. Genevieve Turkett’s class. Turkett, in her first year at OHS, assigned a semester-long senior project and students showed off their creations and the results of their reserach May 8 [...]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
My son graduates from Houston High School tomorrow. I guess it is cliche to say I remember bringing him home from the hospital and softly laying him in that carefully prepared crib. In retrospect, taking care of a newborn baby was the easy part. Turning that young man loose in the world is the part [...]
HOUSTON – Justice Court Judge Earnest Cunningham found Okolona Assistant Police Chief Romona Robertson guilty of three of four misdemeanor charges in an eight hour trial Monday. Robertson was found guilty of driving under the influence, speeding and disorderly conduct and will pay a fine of $600 plus court cost. Robertson was found not guilty [...]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors is looking at different methods of adding security and safety to both Courthouses in the county. EMA Director Linda Griffin brought quotes to the May 6 meeting for fire alarm systems for the courthouses and panic buttons to be installed in the offices of the Circuit and [...]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Hamp Smith and Ralph David Ritch say they did not seek positions on the state boards they currently serve on to garner political power or wealth. Ritch laughs when asked how much he makes for serving on the Mississippi Board of Chiropractic Examiners. “I couldn’t tell you,” [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Eight members of the Houston Middle School band were awarded for achievement following the HMS spring concert. The band is under the direction of William Shirey and Josh Robinson and is comprised of sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. Students who received awards include: Beginning band most improved [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The National Organizations for Youth Safety (NOYS) hosts Global Youth Traffic Safety Month each May during prom, graduation and the beginning of the summer driving season to engage and empower youth to lead traffic safety efforts in their communities. This organization has put together the best practices for [...]
By Staff and Wire Reports Chickasaw County’s only contested municipal vote was in Okolona where voters went to the polls to choose an alderman. Tuesday’s runoff election saw Regina Pickens receive 58 votes and Teresa Price 33. Both candidates ran as Democrats and face no other candidate in the June 7 general election. Okolona [...]
by Patsy R. Brumfield NEMS Daily Journal HOUSTON – A special judge Monday found Okolona Assistant Police Chief Ramona Robertson guilty on three counts and dismissed a fourth. Judge Ernest Cunningham, from Marshall County, fined Robertson $600 plus court costs after hearing testimony all day surrounding her Dec. 7, 2012, arrest by the Mississippi Highway [...]
HOUSTON – An Okolona deputy police chief went on trial today in Chickasaw County Justice Court accused of violations allegedly discovered during a traffic stop months ago. Judge Judge Ernest Cunningham of Marshall County presides in the Houston courthouse for a proceeding expected to occupy all of Monday. Ramona Robertson was arrested last February after [...]
HOUSTON – When you see the men in the yellow suits, it’s not normally a good day. But May 20 will be a good day for the Houston Fire Department and the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency to host a hazardous material drill on Harrington Street. “We wanted to inform the public ahead of time [...]
HOULKA – Elaine Brown was born May 2, 1913, in Chickasaw County to Doyle and Mattie Kirkpatrick and was one of nine children. She has lived in Houlka for her entire life. She married Elon Brown in 1935. They had two daughters, Barbara Ann Boutwell and Martha Collums. Her husband passed away in 1969. She [...]
by Gene Phelps NEMS Daily Journal RIDGELAND – Keith Jernigan’s game plan Saturday included a Game 3 in Houston’s MHSAA Class 4A state championship series against Newton County. First, however, his Lady Hilltoppers had to win Game 2. Newton County – and its pitcher, Darby Bishop – didn’t let him execute his strategy. The Lady [...]
by Brandon Speck NEMS Daily Journal RIDGELAND – Alaina Hill may get a street named after her in Cumberland. The junior’s two biggest hits of the season led East Webster to the 2013 MHSAA Class 2A championship. Scoreless in the seventh inning of the deciding third game on Saturday, Hill doubled with two outs. [...]
- Fallen officers remembered, living officers honored May 17, 2013
- Andrews Shields May 20, 2013
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Okolona assistant chief found guilty on three counts May 21, 2013
- Faye Jenkins May 21, 2013
- Lesson for life May 23, 2013
- FLOYD INGRAM: A big day for a man with big plans May 23, 2013
- Robertson guilty on three of four charges May 23, 2013
- David Forrester May 23, 2013
- Supervisors looking at security measures for both courthouses May 23, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- Frazier leads Mississippi State past Texas A&M 6-4 http://t.co/QtA2sudwDC 4 hours ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys http://t.co/K9kMXwmuAn 1 hour ago
- Sisters find the funny in ‘Nunsense’ http://t.co/ggvFPbNN4C 1 hour ago
- Follow @bradlocke for MSU baseball updates. 1 hour ago
- Ole Miss falls to Alabama in 10 innings http://t.co/2m3Qo3VPBq 7 hours ago