By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – As the second round of the playoffs began, the Houston Lady Hilltoppers met the Senatobia Lady Warriors for a game in Houston on Tuesday and then hit the road to take two games and advance to the next round of the 4A Softball Playoffs. […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Chickasaw Journal in North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Prayer changes things. The Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance will host the National Day of Prayer on The Square at noon Thursday and is inviting the community to come and pray for their town, state and nation. “We will start just a few minutes after noon […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Houston’s Chris Jones didn’t have to wait long to hear his name called on the second day of the NFL draft. Jones had hoped to get a call in the Thursday’s first round. Many analysts had him going in the first 31 picks, and it was […]
The boss of any organization or business will tell you it is tough at the top. Nowhere is that more evident than the post of school superintendent. Almost half of Northeast Mississippi’s superintendent posts are filled by new faces this year. And 75 percent of the current superintendents have been in their current job less […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – In recent weeks, several areas across Mississippi have experienced higher than normal black bear activity. During spring and summer, after a few months of inactivity, these bears resume their normal life cycle and begin roaming in search of food. This seasonal nomadic activity is what is responsible […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Every offseason since 2009, Dan Mullen has heard his name associated with just about every major college coaching vacancy. It has become something of a tradition for Mullen to see where he is going to land next. There was Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, Colorado and Southern Cal along […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal BIGGERSVILLE – It looked to be a tough afternoon for Vardaman as they found themselves down 2-0 and bats not looking very perky. And then the Lady Rams stepped to the plate in the sixth inning. Vardaman scored eight runs on nine hits and went on to beat Biggersville […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The Mayor and City Council held a public hearing at 6 p.m. at Rockwell-Green City Auditorium Tuesday, April 5, to discuss three privately-owned blighted properties located alongside each other on West Main Street in Okolona. No action was taken following the hearing, which […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Chickasaw County School Board earlier in April appointed two senior district officials to a commission studying consolidation of Chickasaw County’s three districts, and updated plans to construct a replacement building for one destroyed by fire about nearly two years ago. […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The paperwork is moving through channels to bring a fire district to residents of southeastern Chickasaw County. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors have approved the legal description, board and held a public hearing last week to notify the community of its plans to seek a […]
BASEBALL (MHSAA Playoffs, Second Round) Class 1A Pine Grove 4, Hamilton 0 Smithville 3, Myrtle 2 Vardaman 9-1, TCPS 7-11 West Union 9, Houlka 3 Class 2A Calhoun City 10, Leland 0 East Union 13, Potts Camp 0 Class 3A Alcorn Central 12, North Pontotoc 2 Kossuth 14-5, South Pontotoc 2-6 Mooreville 3, […]
Dear Editor, Most of us would agree that Houston’s Schools are important and we are concerned about the looming consolidation facing Chickasaw County. It’s up to us as a community to do everything possible to provide the best environment and education for every student. The Time has come in this school year for state testing […]
There is a place in Houston that is unique to this world. The Square, with our stately Chickasaw County Courthouse, green lawn, wide streets and businesses, is distinctively Houston. There may be other places that have more shops, a bigger courthouse and maybe even a little more pizzazz, but none that say Houston like The […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Two bodies found at the Okolona Motel earlier this month appear to be a murder/suicide following a preliminary autopsy report from the State Crime Lab. Authorities were called to the Okolona Motel on Highway 145 in Okolona after hotel owners reported a foul smell coming from […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago