By Stephanie Rebman Daily Journal A Myrtle man died in a Chickasaw County crash Friday afternoon. According to Mississippi Highway Patrol’s Criss Turnipseed, the fatal crash was about 3:30 p.m. on Mississippi Highway 245 about half a mile north of U.S. Highway 45 Alternate. William Browning, 47, was pronounced dead at the scene. His F-250 […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
WEST POINT – The $300 million Yokohama Tire Manufacturing Mississippi plant in West Point in nearing completion, officials said Wednesday. The plant also hired 170 workers, and expects to have about 300 of its planned 500 workers employed by the end of the year. According to a press release, the roughly 1 million-square-foot factory “is […]
By Chris Kieffer, Bobby Harrison and Errol Castens Daily Journal TUPELO – University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has been offered a two-year contract extension by the State Institutions of Higher Learning, sources have confirmed to the Daily Journal. Under the offer, Jones would be given a two-year extension, instead of the traditional four-year contract, […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Ben Howland had been waiting on the right time and place to make his return to coaching. Two years removed from leading UCLA to a Pac-12 Conference title and his 10th trip to the NCAA Tournament, Howland decided that opportunity was at Mississippi State. Howland was introduced as […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal Mississippi State made quick work in hiring its next men’s basketball coach. According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, the Bulldogs have reached a verbal agreement with Ben Howland to become the program’s 20th head coach and is expected to be in Starkville today. The university has yet to confirm the report. […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department had a man in custody Monday afternoon on aggravated domestic violence charges as it continues to investigates a Saturday night shooting just north of Houston. The incident was phoned in to Chickasaw County 911 about 9:45 p.m. as an accident at a house behind Pops Market at 1442 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE –With Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant offering the keynote address, manufacturing, logistics and transportation leaders will “Focus on the Future” at the fifth annual Manufacturing Summit. The Wednesday March 18 program, held by Mississippi State University and American Home Furnishings Alliance, will be held on campus at the Franklin Center, […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The state Senate rejected a proposal to phase in full funding of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program over a three-year period and instead sent to Gov. Phil Bryant a bill that increases funding for education by $110 million. The Senate proposal, which passed the House earlier […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department had a man in custody Monday afternoon on aggravated domestic assault charges as it continues to investigates a Saturday night shooting just north of Houston. The incident was phoned in to Chickasaw County 911 about 9:45 p.m. as an accident at a house […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal JACKSON – Okolona was never able to shake off a shaky start. The Cheiftains were stuck with one made field goal much of the first quarter Saturday at Mississippi Coliseum, while Bay Springs ran off with the Class 2A state championship with a 74-58 win. It took nearly 3 minutes […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Quantesha Patterson was East Webster’s go-to player all season. In Saturday’s MHSAA Class 2A State Tournament championship game, the lanky 5-foot-10 senior center was all that and more in the Lady Wolverines’ 68-64 comeback victory against West Tallahatchie in overtime. Patterson scored 39 points, 20 above her average, […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – East Webster coach Bill Brand knew Newton’s pressure defense was relentless and smothering. “I told my players if we could keep our turnovers to 20, we could win,” he said. East Webster committed 41 turnovers – nearly all forced by Newton – but still managed to exit the […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal In addition to making for soggy days, substantial rainfall across Northeast Mississippi until late Saturday will increase the risk of flooding on some rivers and creeks. Some monitoring stations reported either flood stages or “action” stages Tuesday with water rising toward a possible flood crest after three days of rain, […]
- Battle of Egypt marked and remembered March 22, 2015
- Lady Hilltoppers are rolling March 26, 2015
- Hilltopper tennis squeezes in games March 26, 2015
- Ole Miss rallies for Jones March 26, 2015
- Region’s jobless rate rises March 27, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago