LEE COUNTY – The Lee County Sheriff’s Office took possession of a large quantity of high-grade marijuana, uncut cocaine and crack cocaine during a traffic stop Tuesday. Officers are now searching for the driver of the vehicle, who fled immediately after being pulled over in the area of Green Tee Road. Sheriff Jim Johnson said […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Lenten lunches wrap up with Good Friday services and a meal at Houston First United Methodist Church Family life center at noon. “If you can’t get excited about being a Christian during Holy Week, you need to get in church this week,” said Rev. Rex Wilburn, pastor of Houston First United Methodist Church. “This […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It is supposed to rain in Mississippi in the springtime and wet fields are not yet a concern for farmers looking to get seed in the ground this season. Good crops last fall has prompted most commodities prices to drop this year, but as all farmers know, that will change before harvest. […]
NETTLETON – Debra Worthy was in Tupelo Wednesday around noon when her son called to tell her about the shooting happening just outside his front door. “He called me so I would know before I heard it in the news or on Facebook or before I tried to come over,” Worthy said. “I told him […]
NETTLETON – What began as a fight among family members Wednesday ended with two dead along Main Street in Nettleton’s downtown and one pronounced dead at North Mississippi Medical Center after being transported by helicopter. Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson said four people were in a car leaving United Furniture on Main Street in Nettleton […]
HOUSTON – Firefighters with the Houston Fire Department have been busy this past week answering four larger fires, a host of smaller calls and medical calls too. Firefighters were called to a shed fire on Starkville Road Friday and another one on Nabors Drive early Saturday morning. This was followed by a large grass […]
HOULKA – Thousands of people have already walked, run and cycled the Tanglefoot Trail and Houlka is trying to get a few of them to stop and spend a few dollars downtown. The CREATE Community Guidance Class at Mississippi State University has developed a project aimed at pointing Trail Trekers to the businesses and stores […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The 150th anniversary of the Civil War is underway and the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society has invited the author of a book about the local history of that event to speak in Houston. David Harrison, author of the book “Okolona in the Civil War” will be the guest speaker at […]
The National Weather office in Memphis has issued a freeze warning for all of Northeast Mississippi’s counties, beginning at 1 a.m. Wednesday and extending until 9 a.m. The temperature is expected to fall to 31 degrees or lower, posing a threat to young vegetation. The NWS archives show that the latest freeze in Tupelo was […]
MEMPHIS – No charges are being filed at this time against a Pontotoc County Sheriff’s deputy who was involved in a shooting on Beale Street on Saturday morning in Memphis. A public information officer with the Memphis Police Department said the details of the shooting were presented to the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office, and […]
HOULKA – When firefighters typically gather in bunch there is usually a fire and Saturday’s community event in downtown Houlka was no different. “We are good at putting out fire and here we are trying to start one,” said Houlka Fire Chief Terry Short. “We are cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and we’ve got all the trimmings. […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Police Department is cracking down on juvenile crime and parents of kids caught out after curfew will be fined. Houston has a weeknight curfew of 11 p.m., and midnight on weekend. While parents are responsible for any fines imposed by the court for curfew violation, any juvenile who violates the city’s […]
HOULKA – Bad decisions can change a driver’s life in an instant. More than 150 Houlka High School students watched videos and heard Mississippi Highway Patrolman Criss Turnipseed talk about the pitfalls of drinking while driving, texting and doing any kind of activity that impairs driving at a class assembly Friday at Houlka Attendance […]
Mr. and Mrs. Eric Laiche of Houston are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Jessica Carmon Laiche, to Carter Graham Holland, son of Dr. and Mrs. John Holland of Hattiesburg, Miss. Miss Laiche is a graduate of Houston High School and will receive a Bachelor of Food Science degree in Nutrition and Health […]
- Warming up for playoffs April 19, 2014
- Joseph Bass April 18, 2014
- Holy Week in Houston April 18, 2014
- Toppers take down jackets April 18, 2014
- District Champs! April 18, 2014
- Warming up for playoffs April 19, 2014
- James Patterson April 19, 2014
- April 19, 2014
- Ottis Bass April 19, 2014
- Joseph Bass April 19, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 10 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 10 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 10 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 10 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 10 months ago