By Regina Butler Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Unofficial results in Tuesday’s special election showed Pontotoc residents approved the legalization of beer sales, while the legalization of liquor sales was narrowly defeated. Unofficial results Tuesday night are still subject to the counting of 55 affidavit ballots which will be counted on Sept. 24, officials said. Unofficial […]
Archive | News RSS feed for this section
News from the Monroe County Journal in North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids to repair the roof of the Chickasaw County AgriCenter last week with Century Construction of Tupelo getting the work for a price of $72,000. The AgriCenter was awarded a grant of $250,00 for repairs of the 40-year-old metal coliseum south of Houston by the state this spring and […]
Football may be the game of the week but the Southeastern Conference managed to work in some hoops news recently with the release of the men’s basketball league schedule. Ole Miss will begin conference play on the road for the 13th time in the last 17 years as the Rebels travel to Kentucky on Jan. […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen have changed the way cash is handled at the Houston and Parks & Recreation Department and at all city locations. The board voted on a list of new procedures last week that will require immediate deposit of cash into local bank drop boxes and a series of new checks and balances to […]
HOUSTON – The Battle of the Creek between Houston and Okolona has a history that is at least twice as old at the young gridders who played Friday night’s cross-county matchup. And while Houston was not expected to dominate the contest like they did this this year, a couple of Hilltoppers remember two games where […]
DALLAS – What a whirlwind it has been for former Ranger and NJCAA First Team All-American left tackle Donald Hawkins. It’s one that could change his life forever. Hawkins, who played the 2010-11 seasons at Northwest Community College and the 2012-13 seasons for the Texas Longhorns, was released by the Philadelphia Eagles, picked up and waived […]
Family, friends and Chickasaw Development Foundation members gathered at Topper Zone for a Grand Opening recently. The business at 327 First Avenue in Houston offer inflatables, concessions and party space to church groups, school events and family birthday events. Topper Zone is operated Karen Hill and they can be reached to book community events by […]
HOUSTON – The gifts ranged from $100 bills and Ipods to snowcones, pizza and a trip to the movies, but the real reward was a smile and the satisfaction of a job well done. Houston Upper Elementary School and the PACE Foundation presented awards to more than 350 students recently for high achievement on last […]
HOUSTON – City taxpayers will see their millage rate go up but their actual tax bill will probably stay the same. The county’s revaluation of property saw real property values go down this year generating few dollars for city coffers. To offset the drop, the Houston Board of Aldermen are looking to raise the millage […]
HOUSTON – A woman who allegedly shot at her boyfriend and then barricaded herself in her home on Pittsboro Street was arrested after law enforcement kicked down her door and rushed the house. Teresa Duncan Murphy, of 513 Pittsboro Street, was arrested on charges of attempted murder and carried to the Chickasaw County Jail about […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Sandra Willis died Sunday after a bout with cancer and is being remembered by the community as a firm, caring teacher and efficient county official. A special moment of silence was held on the opening day of Circuit Court at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston Monday morning where […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal AMORY – The grandfather of five slain South Carolina children found in Alabama addressed the media Wednesday regarding his family’s loss while defending his son, who is being held in a South Mississippi jail on child endangerment charges. “Everyone has been asking what they can do for us, and […]
HOUSTON – When the clinic at Trace Regional closes at 9 p.m., each night, ambulance service suddenly becomes a critical care service for all residents of Chickasaw County. Trace Regional Hospital in Houston closed their emergency room Monday and replaced it with a rural clinic open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a […]
HOUSTON – When Houston decided to run the football against the Okolona Chieftains on Friday night, the Hilltoppers were running downhill. Two running backs powered for 283 yards as the Hilltoppers rushed past Okolona 44-6, in the long-running, cross-county contest billed as the Battle of The Creek. “We played a complete game tonight,” Houston coach […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Gore named ICC’s Sports Information Director September 10, 2014
- Ex-Ranger Donald Hawkins signed by Dallas Cowboys September 13, 2014
- BIRTH: Reagan Brooke Murphree September 13, 2014
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- Liquor defeated, beer apparently approved in Pontotoc September 17, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago