HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
I enjoy visiting with you like this. In this day and age of immediate electronic media and 24-hour news it’s still neat to sit down at a keyboard and talk with the people who read the Chickasaw Journal. I’ve always felt radio yaks, television blares and the internet will carry you many places you don’t […]
HOULKA – The school bell rang sharply at 8 a.m. Wednesday and children filed into classrooms at Chickasaw County Schools exactly one week after fire destroyed classrooms for fifth and sixth graders. The blackened remains of the 1935 Houlka Attendance Center were fenced off to keep students out of the old school building that burned […]
HOUSTON – The helicopters landed, the fire trucks squirted water and kids learned something about safety. The week-long Annual Houston Fire Academy finished up Friday night with the traditional field exercises where kids got to man a fire hose, crawl through a smoke house and test their knowledge of fire safety. The event was held […]
HOULKA – A public hearing to explain changes at Houlka Post Office drew 47 people who voiced their concerns with a reduction in postal hours. Postal customers gathered at the Houlka Community Center to hear Tina Terry of the North Mississippi Post Office Operations Center explain why the post office will see its hours go […]
BOX Aug. 28, 7 p.m. at Cophiah-Lincoln, Wesson. Sept. 6, 7 p.m. at Jones County, Ellisville. Sept. 11, 7 p.m. Holmes at Fulton. (Military Night) Sept. 20, 2 p.m. at Northwest Senatobia. Sept. 25, 7 p.m. East Mississippi at Fulton. Oct. 4, 1 p.m. Coahoma at Clarksdale. Oct. 9, 7 p.m. Northeast at Fulton. Oct. […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department arrested Rodolfo Falcon, 31, of Pearl, on July 20 following a traffic stop. Falcon was charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon after officers found a .22-caliber rifle, a shotgun and 9mm handgun. Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle said Falcon also had stolen ammunition and hunting […]
JACKSON – Mississippi deer hunters will get a more liberal bag limit for deer during the 2014– 2015 deer hunting season. The new regulations will provide more liberal antlerless opportunity on private lands and will better manage antlerless opportunity on U.S. Forest Service National Forests (USFS). This regulation change is intended to aid in the […]
By Lena Mitchell Daily Journal Corinth Bureau OKOLONA – Dozens of alumni, children and grandchildren of alumni, and others attending Okolona’s fourth annual Okolona Magnolia Festival came to the former Okolona Industrial School and College Campus on Saturday morning to witness the unveiling and dedication of its Mississippi Historical Marker. Mayor Louise Floyd Cole […]
OKOLONA – Residents of the Okolona School District will head to the polls Aug. 26 to vote on a $2 million bond issue that will renovate facilities across the district in Eastern Chickasaw County. The Okolona Board of Trustees voted 3-2 recently to seek revenue bonds that will make repairs at facilities across the district. […]
HOULKA – “Everything is still on ‘go’” said Dr. Betsy Collums, Superintendent of Chickasaw County Schools. “At this point the first day of school will be Wednesday with teachers ready for students.” Collums said Chickasaw County Schools will open today, as scheduled even though a fire destroyed the Houlka Attendance Center on Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters […]
They say you can determine the measure of a person by watching how they handle adversity. In the South we are trained to smile and be polite when someone asks how we are. Any given Sunday you will find our churches filled with people undergoing some kind of burden, illness or tragedy and calmly […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County next week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back on the street. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible […]
JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields. Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Parents urged to immunize September 9, 2014
- Rewarding excellence in education September 12, 2014
- Topper Zone grand opening September 13, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: Prepared for education anywhere September 13, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago