By David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – After waiting seven days for a mandatory deadline to pass, the sale of liquor inside the city limits of Pontotoc was approved by two votes late Tuesday when four photo affidavit ballots were counted by the Pontotoc City Election Commission. After poll ballots, absentee ballots and 50 nonphoto […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – It’s the premier fall festival in Houston with good food, good crafts and good entertainment drawing a crowd to the Flywheel Festival each year. Event organizers saw record crowds of more than 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and entertainment two years ago and the call has […]
The Houston New Century Club will host its Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk in conjunction with the Houston Flywheel Festival Saturday, Sept. 27. The annual event kicks off Saturday’s Flywheel Festival with runners gathering at Joe Brigance Park and running or walking the course that morning to raise funds to fight breast cancer. Trophies are given […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors President David Gene Walters appointed Cassandra Pulliam as Circuit Clerk Wednesday. Pulliam was sworn by Circuit Court Judge John Gregory about 10 a.m., as members of the Board of Supervisors, family and friends looked on in the Houston Courthouse courtroom. The ceremony was followed by a session of […]
HOUSTON – Mr. Scott and Mrs. Peggy Shempert of Houston are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter, Miss Lakyn Shempert to Mr. Scott Norwood of Eupora. Miss Shempert is the paternal granddaughter of Hinton and Jerri Shempert of Houston. She is the maternal granddaughter of the late David Peel, Sr. and Margaret Ann […]
HOUSTON – Weddings are a joining of two families and when Jess and Kayla Moore said they wanted to get married they decided everything in their wedding would have heritage, history and special meaning to them and their family. The couple also worked to make their wedding simple and serious but also fun and family […]
By David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – With only five photo affidavit ballots left to possibly count, the legalization of liquor sales inside the city of Pontotoc still hangs in the balance. The vote, for the moment, is tied. Those five ballots will not change the final outcome of beer/light wine sales, which was unofficially […]
COLUMBUS – The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS) is coming to Attala County and Oxford to meet with students and families who are curious about the school. A representative from MSMS will be at the Attala County Public Library from 4 to 6 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 23, and at the Lafayette County-Oxford Public […]
HOUSTON – State ethics laws say family members cannot serve under elected officials, but a Houston alderman wants to know what the penalty is if the city board votes her in anyway. Houston City Board Attorney Elizabeth Ausbern said obtained an Attorney General’s opinion to determine if City Hall employee Barbara Buggs could be considered […]
HOUSTON – It was not quite as simple as putting up new signs and constructing a new waiting room, but those were the most visible changes when Trace Regional Hospital closed its emergency room and opened its clinic last week. The hospital went from offering emergency room services to rural clinical services at 9 a.m. […]
It was a simple maintenance change on the outside, but it represented a complex change in healthcare in this community. Trace Regional Hospital changed the signage on its campus Monday directing people not to an emergency room but to a rural clinic. Trace, after months of planning and public discussion, formally closed its emergency room […]
HOUSTON – A bomb scare at the local WalMart was apparently part of a wider scam to extort money from businesses across Northeast Mississippi Wednesday afternoon. The Houston store was contacted by phone about 2 p.m. and told to wire money to a “green money card” or a bomb would be detonated in the store. […]
By Regina Butler Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Unofficial results in Tuesday’s special election showed Pontotoc residents approved the legalization of beer sales, while the legalization of liquor sales was narrowly defeated. Unofficial results Tuesday night are still subject to the counting of 55 affidavit ballots which will be counted on Sept. 24, officials said. Unofficial […]
BELDEN – Itawamba Community College offered the Adult Learner Incentive scholarship for the first time last fall with XX area residents earning this achievement. A limited number of half-tuition scholarships are available each semester for new or returning students 23 years of age or older, who are Mississippi residents and not enrolled in college for […]
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- STEVE COKER: The Wisdom of Potatoes October 25, 2014
- Life Chain hosts annual event October 25, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago