HOUSTON – There was chili and warm conversation on a cold Sunday afternoon, but it was pondering the future of Houston that brought people out. Billed as a “Community Blitz” Sunday’s event was backed up by two more days of seminars that saw community leaders and stakeholders discuss how they want to connect the Tanglefoot […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
We are pleased that Houston Middle School is rewarding students for academic achievement. Houston School Board Trustees heard a report from Principal Tony Horton who said the school discipline problem has dropped. A similar report was given last fall by Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison. Both Principals said students can earn everything from […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal More than 4,000 homes in Chickasaw County were without power at one point yesterday and roughly 2,000 were without electricity Thursday, after a massive winter storm dumped 8-inches of snow on Houston. “Those today are just in our service area and we probably have the same amount without […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Did you really think there would be school today? With Wednesday’s snowfall dropping over 8-inches on roads in Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi school districts, businesses and institutions have begun announcing closings for Thursday. The following school districts will be closed: * Calhoun County Schools * Calhoun Academy * Chickasaw […]
The Houston Band is having a catfish/chicken dinner fundraiser on March 6 and the community urged to by their tickets now. Seafood Junction will serve up hot plates for $12 each with the choice of chicken or fish. Both plates will include meat, fries, slaw and hush puppies. Pick up will be at Houston Middle […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
HOUSTON – the Houston Flywheel Festival keeps getting bigger and better and the vendors who sell everything from homemade icecream and funnel cakes to artwork and T-shirts are a big part of that success. The spring show two years ago saw over 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The following Northeast Mississippi school districts have announced they will be closed on Wednesday, as the forecast calls for the possibility of a couple of inches of snow: * Aberdeen * Amory * Baldwyn * Calhoun County Schools. * Chickasaw County Schools (Houlka). * Clay County Schools * […]
The annual series of Lenten lunches begin this week at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend. Rev. Rex Wilburn will be the series’ first speaker on Wed., Feb. 25 at noon at First Methodist Church Family Life Center. There will be a light lunch and […]
HOUSTON – It was a simple signature but it covers the complex management of water, agriculture, industry, transportation and economic development in a 12-county area. Chicksasaw County’s Rayburn Parks was named a member of the Tombigbee River Valley Water Management District in December and he joins a board charged with working with local, state and […]
HOUSTON – Teaching middle school kids may be the toughest post in teaching, but it is so critical from moving boys and girls into the world of young men and women. Houston Middle School Principal Tony Horton said helping students make the transition from bright-eyed elementary school kids to goal-oriented high school students with a […]
JACKSON (AP) – The National Weather Service says parts of northern and central Mississippi could see slick roads and bridges as temperatures drop. Meteorologists say freezing rain is possible late Sunday and early Monday in parts of the metro Jackson area and in Vicksburg, Greenville, Greenwood and Columbus. Up to a half inch of snow […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has released its Dean’s List and President’s List for students who have completed the Fall 2014 semester. Students on the President’s List achieved a 3.80 or better grade-point average, based on a 4.0 scale, while completing at least 12 semester hours of course work with no incomplete grades or grades […]
- MDWFP museum summer camp registration now open March 25, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Coggins to lead Lenten Luncheon March 31, 2015
- Houston plans for farmer’s market March 31, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago