By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – July 4, 1950 was Vernon Fortner’s second day of combat and many more would follow until he was wounded and evacuated four months later. The Chickasaw County native said very few days go by that he does not think of his buddies and the experiences they shared […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Tighter financial management and the sale of a building have helped the town of Houlka recover from a $100,000 shortfall discovered late last year the town mayor and city clerk said last week. “We’re solvent now and the budget we’re now operating under is balanced,” […]
Roberts is Miss Mississippi, Molly May a finalist By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VICKSBURG – Hannah Roberts won the Miss Mississippi pageant and will compete for the crown of Miss America in September. The 21-year-old Roberts represented Miss University of Southern Mississippi in the competition Saturday night in Vicksburg and earned a $10,000 scholarship. Roberts […]
“When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal The Itawamba Community College athletic programs held 14 camps on the Fulton Campus this summer. There were a wide variety of camps available this year and they were open to kids from seven years old to high school seniors. The summer was jam packed with ICC football, baseball, softball […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – United Way of Chickasaw County will host its backpack giveaway again this year, but they need volunteers to help with the event and donors to step up and fund it. United Way and local volunteers gave away over 700 backpacks filled with paper, pencils and school supplies, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Registration is continuing for adult basic education/high school equivalency (ABE/GED) and ESL classes at several locations in Chickasaw County. • Houston WIN Center, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Julia Puckett; Houston WIN Center, Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Susan Eldridge. • Excel in Okolona, Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.-Noon, Larry Davis. […]
Every community has their own special flavor and activities that set it apart from the rest of the world. Those of you who have grown up here may not realize how unique Houston is and some of the things that make it so different from other places on Earth. They are things like red, sandy […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VICKSBURG – Hannah Roberts won the Miss Mississippi pageant and will compete for the crown of Miss America in September. The 21-year-old Roberts represented Miss University of Southern Mississippi in the competition Saturday night in Vicksburg and earned a $10,000 scholarship. Roberts plans to attend the University of Mississippi […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – They opened shortly after the Tanglefoot Trail came to town and the traffic is steady in and out of this nifty little store on the square. Two Toots Whistle Stop has been named the 2015 Chickasaw County Business of the Year and it truly is the coolest […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – James Meyers was not born in Houlka, but it’s home and the place he always goes when work is over, the day is done and it’s time to ponder what’s really important in life. Meyers was named the 2015 Chickasaw County Man of the Year with a […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Houlka is the perfect place to grow up and also the perfect place to raise a family and Terri Turner has done both. Turner was named the 2015 Chickasaw County Woman of the Year and it doesn’t take long to realize why people chose this Chickasaw County […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Officials at First National Bank of Pontotoc announced this week that effective June 30 the bank will be changing its name to First Choice Bank. First National Bank President and CEO Buddy Montgomery explained that the name change is necessary because of a bank initiated change in the […]
By Mark Sherman Associated Press WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court declared Friday that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States. Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court’s 5-4 ruling means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago