HOUSTON – Chickasaw County had the second highest unemployment rate in Northeast Mississippi this winter at 10.2 percent. Only Clay County, which saw unemployment drop from 18 percent earlier this year as construction of Yokahama Tire hits full speed, was higher at 13.5 percent. Local officials hope the arrival of the spring planting season will […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Jeff Eubanks and Errol Castens Daily Journal OXFORD – Cheers and chants joined speeches, pledges and resolutions Wednesday when about 2,500 supporters of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones rallied in the Lyceum Circle to demand his continuation as UM’s leader. The IHL Board decided last Friday and reaffirmed on Monday not to extend […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The Winter of 2015 has been tough on county roads. The snow and freezing weather earlier this month cracked pavement and this was quickly followed by a week of rain that washed out potholes on hard surface streets and formed ruts and washboards on gravel roads. And all the county can do […]
A quick look around will tell anyone this is the season to plant. We’ve had our cold weather and yes, the rain has slowed most farmers down, but the Sun shines a little longer and stronger and the green is beginning to show. Even city folk can look around and see it is Spring and […]
JACKSON – It’s tough to know creel limits, slot size and the finer points of fishing state waters, but finding fishing regulations on Mississippi’s lakes and rivers has just gotten easier. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau has launched a new interactive map that will help anglers learn about fishing […]
JACKSON—Remember those magical summer days from your youth spent exploring the outdoors? Now, your children can experience similar adventures! Register them for the “Go Outdooors … Camp” or the “Jr. Naturalist Camp” hosted by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks’ Museum of Natural Science to be held in June 2015! “Campers spend their […]
Rev. Randy Rinehart, pastor Parkway Baptist Church will be speaking at this week’s Lenten Luncheon today at noon at First Methodist Church Family Life Center. There will be a light lunch served by Cornerstone Church family and a message of preparation for Easter morning. All are welcome! Other pastors slated to speak at this weekly […]
The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded two student its top honor for academics in American history and character at Houston High School. Madison Mitchell and Liza Boyer, 11th graders at Houston High were presented their certificates and medals by Betty Atkinson, American History Chairman of the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR, recently and […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department had a man in custody Monday afternoon on aggravated domestic violence charges as it continues to investigates a Saturday night shooting just north of Houston. The incident was phoned in to Chickasaw County 911 about 9:45 p.m. as an accident at a house behind Pops Market at 1442 […]
Houston Lower Elementary School will hold 5-year-old kindergarten registration from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday March 23 at the gym. Parents must bring shot records, birth certificate, two proofs of residency and Social Security card. Children will be tested. For more information call the Houston Lower Elementary School at 456-3323 during regular office hours.
EGYPT – A simple sign on Highway 45 marks one of the most convoluted and difficult to understand Civil War battles in Northeast Mississippi. The Mississippi Department of Archives and History unveiled a marker for the Battle of Egypt Friday with historians telling the details of this conflict that occurred in the closing days of […]
Everybody wants the rules and regulations to be applied equally, until it comes to their money and their family. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen has seen this happen for years with people unhappy with a monthly water bill. Last month the city was approached by a customer wanting the city to reduce their […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen voted 4-1 in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday to seek revenue bonds to repair a well, install electronic water meters and improve the city’s water mains and sewer lines. Aldermen have been discussing the loan for more than a year as they try to improve the city’s aging infrastructure and […]
HOUSTON – In a dramatic turn of events, the Houston Board of Aldermen unanimously voted to seek a tourism tax after two day of debate that saw the tax discussed in a work session Monday night and then voted on in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday. The city had been told by local […]
- Vardaman softball coach arrested April 18, 2015
- CenterStage to perform at ICC April 22, 2015
- Cyclist dies on Natchez Trace Parkway April 22, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Voice your vote April 23, 2015
- Testing time April 23, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation April 25, 2015
- State benefits from Natchez Trace Parkway visitors April 24, 2015
- Houston hosts Flywheel Festival April 24, 2015
- Houston honors best and brightest April 23, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Flywheel fun starts Friday April 23, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago