OKOLONA – A $2 million school bond election appears to have passed 812-414, but there are approximately 500 absentee and affidavit to be counted Wednesday morning. Voters in Okolona went to the polls Tuesday to vote on a bond issues aimed at repairing roofs, fixing heating and air conditioning systems and improving athletic facilities. This […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – After more than three decades, organizers of the Flywheel Festival have found what people like and they have learned to have fun, too. The 33nd Annual Fall Flywheel Festival will be held Sept. 26-27 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston and offers two full days of food, fun, entertainment and flywheels. “We are […]
More than 50 volunteers and local emergency services employees fanned out over Houston Monday looking for Willie Harries who has been missing since Saturday. The search team gathered at Center Hill Missionary Baptist Church in North Houston again Monday afternoon and did an intense gridded search of the Second and Third Avenue neighborhood that Harries […]
OKOLONA – The closing of Trace Regional Hospital’s emergency room and the opening of a seven-day clinic were explained to the Okolona Board of Aldermen last week. Trace Regional Administrator Gary Staten said the county will lose its emergency room but will gain a clinic that will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., […]
Local and state authorities are looking for a Houston man that has not been seen since Saturday. Willie C. “Doc” Harries was last seen Saturday, Aug. 23, at 5 p.m. in the Wofford Drive area, a northern neighborhood in Houston. He was on foot and wearing a multi-colored shirt and blue jeans. He is described as […]
Linnie Stone of Aberdeen and Joe Taylor Stone of Houston announce the engagement of their daughter, Blakely Elizabeth Stone, to Matthew Ryan Lewis, son of Geneva and Dave Oswalt and Jerry and Rhonda Lewis, all of Amory. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Le Riley of Tupelo and the late Darrel Griffin of Houston and […]
HOUSTON – Sundancer has literally gone farther and faster than any other Solar Car team in the country and now they have set their sights on the world. The 2015 Solar Car team was introduced to the Houston Solar Car Committee last week and have pitched the idea of carrying Sundancer back to Australia for […]
Participating in North Mississippi Medical Center’s Physician Shadowing Program, July 7-25, were, front row, from left,Allyson Parker of Houston, Mississippi State University; Elise Friloux, Tupelo, MSU; Catherine Dilgren, Sugarland, Texas, MSU; Kacie Harris, Tupelo, Blue Mountain College. Back row from left are, Nathaniel Sparks of Belmont, MSU; Sami Whitwell of Tupelo, University of Virginia; Austin […]
HOUSTON – You can run and have fun or you can just show up and show your support for Houston charities at the first color run set for Joe Brigance Park this weekend. Color for a Cause gets underway with registration at 7:30 a.m., to run a short route or the “Long Haul” that will […]
OKOLONA – The Okolona School District saw students in cold classrooms last winter and is looking to improve buildings and athletic facilities in a $2 million bond issue to be decided by voters on Aug. 26. The Okolona Board of Trustees voted 3-2 recently to seek revenue bonds that will make repairs at facilities across […]
HOUSTON – Many veterans traveled far away to serve their country, but their country is making an effort to come to them with new services. The Mobile Vet Center will make its first visit to Houston on from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 26 and the big white bus will park in front […]
Dear Editor, In order to thrive, a community needs a strong school system children and young adults are entitled to an education that opens the future for them; one that nourishes intellectual competence at each one’s level of potential and prepares students academically for whatever their chosen future. But our students also need to learn […]
I took driver’s education at West Point Junior High in 1975 and some of you may remember the simulator trailer they taught us to drive in. This was the day and age before computer games and it was the latest in technology. The trailer had a movie screen at one end and car seats that […]
WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Williams Baptist College. The scholarship is awarded to students transferring to WBC from other institutions, based on their academic achievements. Pugh is a graduate of Houston High School. He is the son of Lee and Millette Nabors of […]
- County picks MedStat ambulances September 25, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- Future of farming September 28, 2014
- NMMC offers pastoral education program September 28, 2014
- Aldermen eye Ethics opinion September 29, 2014
- EPA conducts water quality study on Chico Creek October 1, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Enterovirus D68 confirmed in Calhoun County September 30, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago