HOUSTON – Brigadier General Gary Huffman, (Ret.) will speak to the community on his experiences in Bosnia next week as part of a series of two talks hosted by the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society. Huffman will be the Historical Society’s guest at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 30 at the Civic Center in Houston. […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
WEST POINT – Two men have been indicted by a Clay County grand jury on aggravated assault charges related to an alleged beating that left a man in a coma after he was found in a West Point parking lot in August. Assistant District Attorney Lindsay Clemons says in a news release that no trial […]
Brennan Pugh, of Houston, has been inducted into Alpha Chi, the national college honor scholarship society, at Williams Baptist College. The induction was held April 15 at WBC’s Academic Awards Luncheon. Alpha Chi admits members from all academic disciplines who are in the top 10 percent of their junior and senior classes. The honor society […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – During election season they sprout up like wildflowers and the Mississippi Department of Transportation, Chickasaw County road crews and municipal officials are reminding candidates not to post sign on public right-of-ways. Federal, state, county and city right-of-way are public property, but the placing of any signage on government property without meeting proper […]
FULTON/TUPELO – Members of Itawamba Community College’s Indian Delegation have been selected for 2014-15. On the Fulton Campus, they include Chandler Gurley of Amory; Stephanie Hardy, Autumn Sample, both of Baldwyn; James Goodman of Columbus; Sam Ivy of Ecru; Meagan Miller, Dashia Shumpert, both of Fulton; Victoria Bobo of Guin, Ala.; Marcus Walker of Hamilton; […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Roughly 80 percent of the $136 million spent in communities near the Natchez Trace Parkway was done in Mississippi, a National Park Service report revealed. Last year, the NTP had 5,846,473 visitors. the National Park Service reported. In addition to the money spent along the 444-mile parkway, the […]
HOUSTON – The Flywheel Festival unfolds Friday and Saturday in Houston with lots of food, fun and quality entertainment. The 34th annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Spring Festival will be held April 24-25 in Joe Brigance Park and kicks off with a boom at the anvil shoot at 11 a.m. Friday. “We started doing the anvil […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation gave out a new award and honored an old friend at their annual awards banquet Thursday night. The Houston Solar Car team was handed CDF’s first Great Achievement Award for a 13-year history of winning and media patriarch Robin Mathis was honored with the Spirit of Chickasaw County Award […]
HOUSTON – Students at Houston schools started taking a series of state-mandated tests at the end of March and it won’t let up until next month. The Houston School Board heard reports from principals and administrators about the high-stakes testing schedule the district faces at all schools as the 2014-15 school year winds down and […]
With early voting in Chickasaw County’s primary election just around the corner, your Chickasaw Journal is asking voters to write letters supporting various candidates running for county office. Letters to the Editor are a big part of local elections. It is the one civil place Chickasaw County residents can weigh in on issues and support […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal MATHISTON – A Wisconsin man riding a bicycle along the Natchez Trace Parkway died Monday afternoon. According to park rangers, De Loyd E. Stertz, 87, of Altoona, Wisconsin, was riding his bicycle south on the Parkway just south of U.S. Highway 82 at mile marker 201 when he was […]
CenterStage, Itawamba Community College’s pop show group, will perform its spring concert at 6:30 p.m., Apr. 23, in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Admission is $5. Selections include “Right Now,” “Come Sail Away,” “September,” “Dance with Me Tonight” and “Unwritten.” Members of CenterStage include vocalists: Theo Boyd of Aberdeen; […]
The early registration deadline was last week for area cyclists who plan to participate in the second annual Tour de’ Tanglefoot Trail, sponsored by the Itawamba Community College Foundation, Inc. but you can still show up Saturday and race Onsite registration begins at 7:30 a.m., April 25, and the ride, at 8 a.m., in Pontotoc, […]
The Houston School District will hold a Title I/Parent Involvement Meeting April 23, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. at the Houston School District Central Office. For more information contact the Central Office at 456-3332.
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houston tourism tax vote set for Aug. 11 May 18, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- East Webster pitching halts Taylorsville May 21, 2015
- GAME ONE: Toppers fall hard in late innings May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago