INDIANAPOLIS – The National FFA Organization has awarded a $1,000 Tractor Supply-Growing Scholars scholarship to Lori McClain of Vardaman High School FFA. The scholarship is sponsored by Tractor Supply Company as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. McClain plans to use the funds to pursue a degree at Mississippi State University. The scholarship […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
Mark 7:26. The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter Have you ever tried to put air in a tire and the tire wouldn’t hold air? Well have you ever tried to push something, but the more you […]
HOUSTON – It’s planned and presented by students for students and its an annual food and fun event. Picnic in the Park is a first-day-of-school celebration unique to Houston and it is coordinated by the Houston High School Student Council. “We just have hamburgers, drinks and have a little fun,” said Leslie Bigby, Houston High […]
Not long ago while preaching at Shady Grove I saw a very large black dog that resembled a black bear. After mentioning this to the congregation it has been difficult to keep folks inside the building. I will admit to glancing outside during the service myself. After talking about the bears I was reminded of […]
FULTON – Several area residents will participate in the commencement ceremony for Itawamba Community College’s Practical Nursing and Surgical Technology programs at 7 p.m., July 25, at the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Practical Nursing graduates include Ashley Marie Phillips, Morgan Fears, Brookelyn A. Young, all of Amory; Kristi Leigh […]
HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail opened in October last year and while other communities along the trail have been quick to capitalize on the new tourism asset, Houston has not seen anything built to enhance the Trail. Joyce East, Executive Director of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Vice Chairman of the Tanglefoot Trail Board of […]
One of the biggest concerns for a school bus driver at the end of the first day of school is trying to get everyone home to the right place. The hardest child to deliver is the first day kindergarten child who has no brothers or sisters on the bus and has lost his name tag. […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
I enjoy visiting with you like this. In this day and age of immediate electronic media and 24-hour news it’s still neat to sit down at a keyboard and talk with the people who read the Chickasaw Journal. I’ve always felt radio yaks, television blares and the internet will carry you many places you don’t […]
HOULKA – The school bell rang sharply at 8 a.m. Wednesday and children filed into classrooms at Chickasaw County Schools exactly one week after fire destroyed classrooms for fifth and sixth graders. The blackened remains of the 1935 Houlka Attendance Center were fenced off to keep students out of the old school building that burned […]
HOUSTON – The helicopters landed, the fire trucks squirted water and kids learned something about safety. The week-long Annual Houston Fire Academy finished up Friday night with the traditional field exercises where kids got to man a fire hose, crawl through a smoke house and test their knowledge of fire safety. The event was held […]
HOULKA – A public hearing to explain changes at Houlka Post Office drew 47 people who voiced their concerns with a reduction in postal hours. Postal customers gathered at the Houlka Community Center to hear Tina Terry of the North Mississippi Post Office Operations Center explain why the post office will see its hours go […]
BOX Aug. 28, 7 p.m. at Cophiah-Lincoln, Wesson. Sept. 6, 7 p.m. at Jones County, Ellisville. Sept. 11, 7 p.m. Holmes at Fulton. (Military Night) Sept. 20, 2 p.m. at Northwest Senatobia. Sept. 25, 7 p.m. East Mississippi at Fulton. Oct. 4, 1 p.m. Coahoma at Clarksdale. Oct. 9, 7 p.m. Northeast at Fulton. Oct. […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department arrested Rodolfo Falcon, 31, of Pearl, on July 20 following a traffic stop. Falcon was charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon after officers found a .22-caliber rifle, a shotgun and 9mm handgun. Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle said Falcon also had stolen ammunition and hunting […]
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- Lady Hilltoppers pounds Calhoun City September 18, 2014
- Okolona falls hard, 25-24 September 18, 2014
- City ignores AG opinion on clerk post September 19, 2014
- BETTY ATKINSON: Honoring the U.S. Constitution September 19, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Mississippi aims to apply for federal preschool grant September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago