By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann said Monday Mississippi has overcome its long history of voter discrimination and disenfranchisement and is now ready for a complete overhaul of its election laws. Hosemann, the third-term Republican, outlined during a speech at a luncheon meeting of the Mississippi State […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
Special to the Chickasaw Journal A tornado watch is in effect until 7 p.m. for the Northeast Mississippi area. The National Weather Service in Memphis issued the watch for 22 counties in Mississippi and 10 counties in east Arkansas. Northeast Mississippi counties falling under the watch include Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Marshall, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Mary C. Herrod, of Houston, was named to the fall 2015 dean’s list at Samford University. Samford releases dean’s lists after the close of the fall and spring semesters each academic year. To qualify for the dean’s list, a student must have earned a minimum 3.5 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Okolona Fire Chief Terry Tucker was elected President of the Mississippi Fire Chief’s Association at the 78th annual Mississippi Fire Chiefs’ and Mississippi Fire Fighters’ conference held in Tupelo, last spring. The conference was attended by about 250 Fire Chiefs and Firefighters from around the State of […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Dreams die hard and Houlka native Adam Zachary can testify to that. He didn’t let a broken foot stop him from realizing his dream of becoming a Mississippi Highway Patrol officer. It just took him four years longer than he expected. The […]
Please join us for Groundhog Day at Morris Grocery on Hwy. 15 in Anchor on Tuesday, Feb. 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free chili for everyone with donations appreciated. Will Chickasaw JW see his shadow? Come help judges Tony Gregory, Glen Vance, Larry Parker and Frank Woodruff decide.
Flying never happens until the bird leaves the nest. President Johnson’s Great Society is just over 50 years old. During this very long period America’s great society nest has become huge and yet crowded. President Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty in January 1964. He then needed a poster child for his new […]
Covering Chickasaw County puts me in touch with a lot of people each week and in meetings where a lot of information and data is presented. No medium is better suited to explain the details of budgets, trends and plain raw numbers than a newspaper. TV wants 30-seconds of pictures. Radio wants a five […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – John McClendon will probably never forget the first time he saw Eli Ray. McClendon was part of a massive search for 3-year-old Ray who wandered away from his home in Thorn on Dec. 31. McClendon was the one who found the toddler on a creek bank on […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Plans are being made for another tourism tax vote for Houston and community leaders are gathering facts and friends for the next campaign. Chickasaw Development Foundation members and city leaders met at the Houston Civic Center last week to discuss how they missed an opportunity last summer […]
Volunteer fire departments may be the best economic development tool ever created for rural communities. While there are many beautiful places to build houses in the country, banks are hesitant to loan money to construct a home unless the investment is covered by insurance. And while hardworking country folk can often afford the cost […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved nearly $50,000 in grant requests from Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw County for construction of storm shelters at nine locations, County Emergency Management Agency Director Linda Griffin said this week. Based on a per-shelter capacity of 30 […]
Dear Editor, The leaders of or communities who choose to close schools, offices, city services and the like, on a mere rumor of typical Northeast Mississippi winter weather are pusillanimous slackers who set an example of mediocrity for or children to follow. Furthermore, local churches are equally culpable if not more so. Jesus Christ himself […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Mission Mississippi was in town on Martin Luther King Day seeking to further King’s ultimate goal – racial reconciliation. Mission Mississippi representatives met at Okolona City Auditorium to re-activate its Okolona Chapter with Mission Mississippi President Neddie Winters traveling from his home in Clinton to help in […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago