Amber Prophettee and Christopher Armstrong are pleased to announce the birth of their daughter MacKenzie Za’Riyah Armstrong on Sept. 30, 2014 at Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center. MacKenzie tipped the scales at 4-pounds, 2.6-ounces and was 18-inches long. MacKenzie was welcomed by her sister Jayla Prophette of Houston. Maternal grandparents are Gloria Edwards, of Houston, […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
First Grade Superintendent’s List Devin Buchanan, Abby Harrington, Mykel Johnson, Matthew Merriman, Miley Naron, Willion Richardson, Ella Cate Alford, Madison Buckley, Alden Edwards, Lillian Houk, Nela Jones, Cara Pearson, Kylan Chandler, Brand Garner, Jacob Brassfield, Audrey Clark, Kaley Myatt, Kimoree Randle, Keely Wright, Brayden Childress, Carson Crowley, Chloe Guin, Nathan Heair, Betsy Lopez, Tatum McWhirter, […]
October 29, 2014 Dear Editor: This year, the Pilot Club is again joining with the Houston High School Student Council and Anchor Club in presenting a Veterans Day program at 9:45 AM on Veterans Day, November 11, in the Houston High School gymnasium. We would like for any and all veterans to attend so that […]
Third Grade Superintendent’s List Dawson Black, David Boykin, Ivette Gonzalez, Alyssa Murphree, Kennedy Pearson Principal’s List Nevaeh Brinker, Jordan Earrey, Aimee Buckly, Zariyia Moore, Victoria Price, Benjamin Bevels, Lara Hollingsworth, Anthony McGregory, Jonathan Murphree, Graylon Pulliam, Gabriel Torres, Jalen Washington, Jahiem Brownlee, James Cousin, Rylee James, Braxton Porter, Markerra Williams, Corley Carter, Gavin Duncan, Michael […]
HOUSTON – There are always lots of smiles at the annual Fall Fun and Games Day at the Chickasaw County Agri Center, because it is just that – fun. The 15th Annual 4-H Fall Fun and Games Day saw a host of local businesses, volunteers and special needs children and teachers gather at the Agri-Center […]
Alan “Squirrel” Neal and Amanda “Tootsie” Neal of Bentley are pleased to announce the upcoming wedding of their daughter Haley Neal. Haley is the granddaughter of Gordon and Joyce Jones, of Bentley and also Charlene Neal and the late George Neal, both of Houston. Haley will wed Cody Smith of Montivista. Cody is the son […]
GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY (Courtesy Photo) Douglas and Charleen Langley, along with their children and grandchildren will host their 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration from 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 16 at the Thorn Community Center. Family and friends are welcome and no gifts please.
Twelfth Grade Senior Superintendent’s List Charlsi Allen, Diana Bedolla, Brennan Byrne, Hannah Grimes, Kristen Marsh, Caysi Mitchell, Kardazia Murry, Robert Scott and Mary Kansas Sullivan. Senior Principal’s List Leslie Bigby, Taylor Brand, Naylet Bustos, Teyeira Calvert, Reid Carter, Abigail Cliett, Chasity Criddle, Ramsey Earnest, Talaja Echoles, Damien Fields, Lauren Floyd, Tori Ford, J’lynn Gordillo, Breanna […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Teachers and school officials understand tests and realize their value in education to mark progress, recognize deficiencies and plan for improvements. The Mississippi Department of Education released letter-grade rankings in mid October for the state’s schools and districts with most schools in Chickasaw County showing slight improvements and none failing. The grades […]
Area schools concluded Red Ribbon Week recently and we hope the community got the message. Red Ribbon Week is aimed at students from kindergarten through fifth grade, and seeks to instill in them the facts that drug abuse is bad, drug abuse hurts people and drug abuse can kill you. Schools in Houston, Okolona and […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story and totals are updated with more than 200 absentee and affidavit ballots cast in Chickasaw County in the Nov. 4, 2014 General Election. HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last week and a three-man Houston […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Helen May might be 71, but you couldn’t prove it by the way she acts. Vibrant, perhaps a little on the sassy side, Helen is determined to not let the fact she has had breast cancer slow her down one whit. Helen and her husband of more than 50 years, Buford, live […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last night and a three-man Houston School Board race will see the top two vote-getters in a run off. Democratic Senatorial candidate Travis Childers, of Booneville, garnered 52.40 percent of the vote with 2,140 […]
HOUSTON – The Exchange Club of Houston will be hosting a prayer breakfast at 7 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center. The event is themed “One Nation Under God” and its aim is to increase appreciation of our rich religious heritage, but also seeks to remind Americans to […]
- Okolona releases first 9 week honor roll December 10, 2014
- Waylon Aaron Neil Blansett December 14, 2014
- BIRTHDAY: Mary Ruth Johnson December 14, 2014
- Pulling it all together December 15, 2014
- Correctional Facility goes into lockdown December 15, 2014
- Reaching out to offenders December 17, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- United Furniture to expand in former Lane building December 16, 2014
- Take a bite out of Christmas crime December 16, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago