HOUSTON – Chickasaw County’s unemployment rate dropped to 8.9 percent, the lowest in more than six years, according to figures provided by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security. The low jobless rate was attributed to a strong demand for manufactured goods – specifically upholstered furniture, a late harvest season and modest gains in the retail […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – Two former Houston Hilltopper football stars have used two years at Itawamba Community College to springboard them to the next level. Sharone Wright and Anfernee brand recently came home to Houston to ink their NCAA Letters of Intent and announce they will play at Mississippi College next year. “MC has a good program […]
The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may prove […]
HOUSTON – An extremely tight city budget has aldermen looking at revenue sources as they work to keep city services at a high level and pay for infrastructure improvements. A review of water revenue earlier this month indicated the city may have to go up on their rates in 2015 to pay for new water […]
FULTON – Several area students are new members of the Upsilon Sigma chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at the Itawamba Community College Fulton Campus. To qualify for initial Phi Theta Kappa membership, a student must maintain a GPA of, in most cases, 3.5 or higher. They must also pay a one-time international membership fee, plus any chapter […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles is a little old fashioned, so if you get an Email saying you owe the Houston Police Department for a a traffic citation, don’t believe it. Voyles said his department has received two calls from Houston residents who have gotten Emails saying a traffic citation has been issued on […]
BATON ROUGE, La. — The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi is pleased to announce that Matthew Munlin of Houston, was recently initiated into Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. Munlin was initiated at Mississippi State University. Munlin is among approximately 32,000 students, faculty, professional […]
By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal When Mississippi adopted the Common Core State Standards four years ago, there was little fanfare. The new guidelines for English and math instruction were not a political talking point during the summer of 2010. Nationally, there was much more discussion about the BP oil spill, the new health care law […]
OKOLONA – Fresh Start Leadership Program is comprised of students wishing to not only make a social impact on the great city of Okolona, but strive to better themselves and ensure a prosperous future for themselves and their families as well. The students of the Fresh Start Leadership Program will be taught the in and […]
HOUSTON – There are always people in need and that means Chickasaw County needs United Way now more than ever. United Way provided $102,000 of assistance to 32 agencies serving people from Chickasaw County last year and this year 30 agencies have requested roughly $106,000. Mike Mitchell, United Way Campaign Associate, said it is no […]
Heath and Chasity Dobbs Pearson, of Houston, are pleased to announce the birth of Carter Heath Pearson. Carter Heath was born Sept. 4, 2014 at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital and tipped the scales at 7-pounds, 10-ounces and was 19-3/4 inches long. Maternal grandparents are Doug Dobbs, Brenda Golding and Terri Dobbs of Houston. […]
Mr. and Mrs. John Wesley Parker, III are pleased to announce the arrival of their daughter, Adelyn Grace Parker. She was born on October 17, 2014 at Oktibbeha County Hospital. Adelyn Grace weighed 5-pounds, 2-ounces and was 17-1/2 inches-long. Maternal grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Jimmy Alford of Houston. Maternal great-grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. […]
HOUSTON – She asked what the bell was all about and when she was told by her family about the Salvation Army Kettle Campaign, she said she wanted to do it. Avilynn Gaston was 3-year-old when she first started ringing the Salvation Army bell at Grocer’s Price and she hasn’t missed a Christmas since. “It’s […]
Mr. and Mrs. Dewitt Moore of Houston are pleased to announce the engagement and upcoming wedding of their daughter, Hannah Cathryn Moore, to Larry Hugh Johnson II, son of Mrs. Jeannie Johnson of Louisville and the late Larry Johnson. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of the late Mary Ann Tallent Hancock of Houlka, Mr. and […]
- Supervisors name officers for 2015 January 19, 2015
- Wildcats nip Chiefs January 22, 2015
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- Howell, Carter ink with NE January 23, 2015
- United Furniture gears up for February opening in Verona January 23, 2015
- ICC names fall graduates January 25, 2015
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Do legislators really know better than voters? January 24, 2015
- Alford earns ICC scholarship January 24, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago