By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail opened in October 2013 and while other communities along the trail have been quick to capitalize on the new tourism asset, Houston has not seen anything built to enhance the Trail. Officials with the Chickasaw Development Foundation and the Carl Small Town Center at […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
Vandalism is a part of doing business with the world. It is sad to say there are people who get a certain amount or pleasure or entertainment out of tearing up public property. We find that a sad way to live life. We also understand it is a crime. This newspaper was called this week […]
Houston Fire Academy gets underway July 27-31 and boys and girls age 8 to 13 need to register now for a limited number of spots. Parents are urged to stop by the Houston Fire Department anytime to fill out a form. Students will meet from 6 to 9 p.m. each night of the academy and […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON — A school record 32 ICC student-athletes from all 10 intercollegiate athletic programs have earn MACJC Academic All-State honors. “We take a lot of pride in our student-athlete’s academic and athletic success,” said Ball-Williamson. “Academics have been and always be our top priority here at ICC.” Nine student-athletes […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – West Point native George Bryan, who brought the 1999 U.S. Women’s Open golf championship to the nationally renowned golf course he built in his hometown, will receive the 2015 Rube Award for his lifetime of contributions to Mississippi sports. The Rube Award is named in honor of […]
Many are jumping on the bandwagon of removing the Confederate Battle Flag from public because it represents “hate, ignorance, bigotry, racism, is offensive, and serves no purpose in today’s America regardless of what it may have represented way back when.” Please be careful if you believe you have a lock on “what it may have […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Temperatures in the high 90s and a long pedal from Ecru prompted two teens to call for help on the Tanglefoot Trail last week. The Houston Fire Department was dispatched Mile Marker 1 at 2:11 p.m. Thursday after two 16-year-olds called 911 saying they were exhausted after […]
Neal and Kelli Myatt are pleased to announce the birth of their son, Greyson Neal Myatt, on May. 18, 2015. He was born at 5:08 p.m., at Gilmore Memorial Hospital, weighing 7-pounds, and was 20-inches long. Sharing honors are Paternal grandparents are Eva Gayle and David Criddle of Houston and Norris Myatt of Houston. Maternal […]
Brandie Kirby and Antonio Hiner are pleased to announce the birth of their daughter, Aubry Grace Hiner on May 9, 2015. She was born at 11 a.m. at Gilmore Memorial Hospital, weighing 6-pounds, 10-ounces and was 18-inches long. She is the maternal granddaughter of Randy and Janice Kirby of Houston. Paternal grandparents are William Hiner […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Music, flowers and smiles bloomed at the Floy Dyer Manor open house and garden party Saturday. The Houston home saw residents debut their handbell choir and then open the doors to their flower and vegetable garden adjacent to the community room. “We came up with this idea […]
HOUSTON – With the 2015 Primary election set for Aug. 4, the deadline to register to vote will be Saturday, July 4. Both the Houston and Okolona offices will be open from 8 a.m. to noon for those seeking to register and absentee ballots will also be available. “If you are eligible, you can […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasw Journal HOUSTON – The music for Houston Homecoming has been set, vendors are signing up and the fireworks have been ordered for the community’s annual July 4th celebration on The Square downtown. July 4 falls on a Saturday this year and the Houston Homecoming committee has once again brought together […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – July 4, 1950 was Vernon Fortner’s second day of combat and many more would follow until he was wounded and evacuated four months later. The Chickasaw County native said very few days go by that he does not think of his buddies and the experiences they shared […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Tighter financial management and the sale of a building have helped the town of Houlka recover from a $100,000 shortfall discovered late last year the town mayor and city clerk said last week. “We’re solvent now and the budget we’re now operating under is balanced,” […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate July 22, 2015
- All weather walkers July 26, 2015
- Area students earn ICC scholarships July 26, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Unusually high absentee voting activity reported July 28, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago