HOULKA – A public hearing to explain changes at Houlka Post Office drew 47 people who voiced their concerns with a reduction in postal hours. Postal customers gathered at the Houlka Community Center to hear Tina Terry of the North Mississippi Post Office Operations Center explain why the post office will see its hours go […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
BOX Aug. 28, 7 p.m. at Cophiah-Lincoln, Wesson. Sept. 6, 7 p.m. at Jones County, Ellisville. Sept. 11, 7 p.m. Holmes at Fulton. (Military Night) Sept. 20, 2 p.m. at Northwest Senatobia. Sept. 25, 7 p.m. East Mississippi at Fulton. Oct. 4, 1 p.m. Coahoma at Clarksdale. Oct. 9, 7 p.m. Northeast at Fulton. Oct. […]
ABERDEEN – The Aberdeen Police Department arrested Rodolfo Falcon, 31, of Pearl, on July 20 following a traffic stop. Falcon was charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon after officers found a .22-caliber rifle, a shotgun and 9mm handgun. Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle said Falcon also had stolen ammunition and hunting […]
JACKSON – Mississippi deer hunters will get a more liberal bag limit for deer during the 2014– 2015 deer hunting season. The new regulations will provide more liberal antlerless opportunity on private lands and will better manage antlerless opportunity on U.S. Forest Service National Forests (USFS). This regulation change is intended to aid in the […]
By Lena Mitchell Daily Journal Corinth Bureau OKOLONA – Dozens of alumni, children and grandchildren of alumni, and others attending Okolona’s fourth annual Okolona Magnolia Festival came to the former Okolona Industrial School and College Campus on Saturday morning to witness the unveiling and dedication of its Mississippi Historical Marker. Mayor Louise Floyd Cole […]
OKOLONA – Residents of the Okolona School District will head to the polls Aug. 26 to vote on a $2 million bond issue that will renovate facilities across the district in Eastern Chickasaw County. The Okolona Board of Trustees voted 3-2 recently to seek revenue bonds that will make repairs at facilities across the district. […]
HOULKA – “Everything is still on ‘go’” said Dr. Betsy Collums, Superintendent of Chickasaw County Schools. “At this point the first day of school will be Wednesday with teachers ready for students.” Collums said Chickasaw County Schools will open today, as scheduled even though a fire destroyed the Houlka Attendance Center on Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters […]
They say you can determine the measure of a person by watching how they handle adversity. In the South we are trained to smile and be polite when someone asks how we are. Any given Sunday you will find our churches filled with people undergoing some kind of burden, illness or tragedy and calmly […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County next week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back on the street. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible […]
JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields. Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, […]
Parents and guardians are reminded that school starts next week. Houston schools start Wednesday, Aug. 6. Chickasaw County schools in Houlka begin class Wednesday, Aug. 6. Okolona schools begin at 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 11. Houston will host open house from 4 to 7 p.m Tuesday, Aug. 5. Parents should contact individual school for the […]
TUPELO – Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 9, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door at the Link Centre, 1800 […]
Mr. and Mrs. Randle D. Wright, of Vardaman, announce the engagement and upcoming marriage of their daughter, Randee Kalyn to Aaron Murphy Sims, son of Mr. and Mrs. David Forest Sims of Calhoun City. Miss Wright is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Blaine of McCool and Mrs. Mary Lee Wright of Vardaman and […]
When is a promise not a promise? And when do we get to pick and choose which promise we keep? Seventeen years ago, the Mississippi Legislature promised to fund a basic, adequate education for all our school children so that every school district could offer a respectable educational program, no matter whether it was a […]
- Flywheel Festival set for Sept. 26-27 August 26, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- Lady Tigers accept ALS challenge. August 30, 2014
- THOMPSON: Paying at the pump August 30, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Hands of Hope September 1, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- Jori Abi Boston August 31, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago