HOUSTON – Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker and Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison have released their respective lists for the first semester grading period. Students named to the Superintendent’s List scored 93 or above and received all “A’s” on their second nine week report card. Students on the Principal’s List made […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
The following students were named to the Okolona Elementary School honor roll for the second nine weeks. Superintendent’s List: All A’s Sicily Adair, Jorrain Bailey, Leah Blair, A’aliyah Blanchard, Kingston Blanchard, Kristian Boyd, Jabari Brandon, Tytianna Brooks, James Buchanan, J’kyree Coggins, Skyler Conway, Ja’kyra Cook, Sabrina Copeland, Jocelyn Davidson, Ziya Donaldson, Jayvin Fields, Adam […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal The National Weather Service in Memphis is monitoring a developing winter weather situation for northern Mississippi northward to the Missouri bootheel for Sunday through Tuesday. Assessments Friday afternoon favored some kind of winter precipitation in Northeast Mississippi on Sunday night and into Monday, according to NWS meteorologists Zach Maye and […]
BOONEVILLE — One hundred and sixteen Northeast Mississippi Community College students have been nominated to Who’s Who Among Students In American Junior Colleges. Who’s Who Among Students In American Junior Colleges is a national honors program. Each year, Northeast nominates students who exemplify outstanding participation and leadership in academics, extracurricular activities and community service. Nominated […]
OXFORD – Nettleton’s Channing Lansdell is among 10 University of Mississippi seniors who have earned membership in the school’s 2014-15 Hall of Fame, one of the university’s highest honors. The Hall of Fame inductees were honored Jan. 30 in a ceremony at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts. Recipients are chosen by […]
Daily Journal The National Weather Service office in Memphis is monitoring a developing winter weather situation for northern Mississippi northward to the Missouri Bootheel for Sunday through Tuesday, NWS meteorologist Zach Maye said at mid-morning today. The situation remains tentative, with updates later Friday expected, Maye said in a telephone interview with the Daily Journal. […]
HOUSTON – A vote by Houston’s Board of Aldermen last week will now send a proposed tourism tax for the city of Houston to the Mississippi Senate for approval. Houston aldermen voted 3-1 Tuesday night, Feb. 3, to seek a 2 percent tax on food and lodging on city businesses in an effort to off-set […]
MANTEE – It was one of those cold, windy days that makes most people hate winter, but Oscar the groundhog spread good news when he indicated an early spring for Northeast Mississippi. The Old Folks Loafing Shed hosted its annual Groundhog Day forecast at Morris Grocery on Highway 15 South of Houston Monday, Feb. 2 […]
Sara and I will exchange Valentine cards this weekend. I’ll put hers on the kitchen table propped up by a little something sweet, shiny or with the appropriate red bloom. She has always stuck mine on the mirror in our bathroom. We’ll find them and smile as we use sleepy fingers to tear it open. […]
HOUSTON – The yardstick that will be used to measure the next superintendent for Houston schools is slowly beginning to take shape. More than 25 people gathered at Houston Lower Elementary School last week to meet with Dr. Harold Fisher, of the Mississippi School Board Association, and give input on the criteria that will be […]
Volunteer fire departments may be the best economic development tool ever created for rural communities. While there are many beautiful places to build houses in the country, banks are hesitant to loan money to construct a home unless the investment is covered by insurance. And while hardworking country folk can often afford the cost of […]
HOUSTON – Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker and Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison have released their respective lists for the Second Nine Weeks grading period. Students named to the Superintendent’s List scored 93 or above and received all “A’s” on their second nine week report card. Students on the Principal’s List […]
OKOLONA – Okolona School District Superintendent Dexter Green and Okolona High School Principal Chris Washington have released their respective lists for the Second Nine Weeks grading period. Students named to the Superintendent’s List scored 93 or above and received all “A’s” on their second nine week report card. Students on the Principal’s List made 85 […]
The Chickasaw County Extension Service will host an information meeting for those interested in becoming a Master Gardener at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 12 at the Extension Service Building on Lee Horn Drive. Attendees will be given information on the types of Master Gardener training that is available and details of the program. Master Gardeners […]
- Schools announce Wednesday closings February 25, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago