CHICKSASAW COUNTY – The candidates have announced their decision to run for public office and will now seek your decision as they run to fill 16 counties offices this election year. The final day to qualify for the Aug. 4 Party Primary ballot was Friday and candidates will now hit the streets seeking votes and […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
The deadline to qualify to run for a spot in county, regional and state government was Friday. The candidates have stepped up and filed the appropriate paperwork, paid their fees and tossed their hat in the ring. So who deserves your vote? There is a list of candidates on Page ??A of today’s paper. Please […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Counties in extreme Northeast Mississippi can expect significant ice and sleet accumulations starting as early as 9 p.m. tonight and continuing until about 6 a.m. Thursday, the National Weather Service office in Memphis said late Tuesday afternoon. Forecaster John Moore III said the revised outlook for winter precipitation across most […]
HOUSTON – The family who will occupy the next Houston Habitat for Humanity home is out there, they just haven’t filed their application to be selected. An Habitat for Humanity home application workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 7 and low income families or those in substandard housing are […]
RAYMOND — More than 800 students graduated on Dec. 18 and 19 at five fall ceremonies at Hinds Community College’s Raymond Campus. The college granted associate in arts (AA) degrees, associate in applied science (AAS) degrees, career certificates (CC) and technical certificates (TC). Among those who graduated was Mitchell Adair, of Okolona, who received the […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal The days ahead bring the prospect of a yet another winter storm after a balmy break today. All Northeast Mississippi counties have been placed under a winter storm watch by the National Weather Service office in Memphis for Wednesday through early Thursday, with significant sleet and snow accumulations and as […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Deep pockets solve lots of problems and a group of Chicksasaw County volunteers did their best last week to make United Way dollars solve as many as possible. The United Way Chickasaw County Funds Distribution Committee finished up their allocation of 2015 dollars recently for agencies that will fund services to local […]
HATTIESBURG – Kristen Dupard and Jeremy Moore, students at The University of Southern Mississippi, have been selected to attend the 2015 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU), set for March 6-8 at the University of Miami. Established in 2007, CGI University challenges college students to address global issues with practical, innovative solutions. Participants take concrete steps […]
HOUSTON – The faithful are getting ready for Resurrection Sunday. The annual series of Lenten lunches will began at noon Wednesday at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend each week until Easter. “We’ve called around and we really are not sure how long we’ve been […]
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County. Zula Warnick celebrated her 109th birthday Monday and was treated to a party by the residents of Floyd Dyer Manor where she lives. Family had gathered on Sunday for a private party, but left plenty of cake and […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mike Hurst, stepping down from his role as a federal prosecutor, is running as a Republican against Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood. The 39-year-old Madison resident qualified Friday to seek the Republican nomination, saying Mississippi’s attorney general should be more active in fighting public corruption and should do […]
HOUSTON – Renovations at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center are already being noticed and they aren’t finished yet. The Agri-Center held a ranch rodeo Feb. 7, and the 4-H Winter Classic Horse Show Feb. 14, with the parking lot full of horse trailers and the Agri-Center full of people. “There is all the difference between daylight […]
HOUSTON – There was chili and warm conversation on a cold Sunday afternoon, but it was pondering the future of Houston that brought people out. Billed as a “Community Blitz” Sunday’s event was backed up by two more days of seminars that saw community leaders and stakeholders discuss how they want to connect the Tanglefoot […]
We are pleased that Houston Middle School is rewarding students for academic achievement. Houston School Board Trustees heard a report from Principal Tony Horton who said the school discipline problem has dropped. A similar report was given last fall by Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison. Both Principals said students can earn everything from […]
- Boyer, Mitchell earn DAR History honors March 24, 2015
- IHL, Jones mull possible contract extension March 27, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- State releases detailed bass summary March 29, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago