The Pope messed up. The media has reported that the Pope questioned Trump’s Christianity because he wants to build a wall. “A person, who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian.” Interestingly enough Pope Francis lives surrounded by a 37 foot wall that was completed […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – Unprecedented growth has forced United Furniture Industries to expand its presence at the Tupelo Furniture Market. The company hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Building VI of the market Thursday to mark the official opening of another 6,000-square-foot space. United now has nearly 23,000-square feet at the market, enough […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to provide state funds to allow students to attend private schools died an unexpected death Tuesday. House Appropriations Chair Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville, opted not to consider the double-referred bill in his committee Tuesday – the deadline for bills to pass out of committee in their […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation providing state funds to allow students to attend private schools passed the House Education Committee Thursday via voice vote. The bill is expected to be one of the most contentious considered during the legislative session. Rep. Joel Bomgar, R-Madison, said the proposal “extends educational opportunity […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Educators from Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County met with legislators Thursday to try to halt proposals designed to merge the three school districts. Hours before the education officials were meeting with House members, the Senate Education Committee was passing legislation to consolidate the three districts. Senate […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Parents will be eligible for up to $5,000 per year in state funds to send their children to private schools under legislation pending in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature. The legislation could be taken up as early as today in either the House or Senate […]
In a previous lifetime I roofed houses, worked the oil fields of South Texas and of course grew up on stifling hot summer days in the sultry South. I learned early in life to appreciate a cool, clean glass of water. Most of us get up every morning and head to the – how […]
It’s that time of the year again: short days of pale light as the sun hugs the southern horizon, the drive homeward in darkness, flagging energy and with the onset of cool weather a semi-permanent chill in the extremities. Cataracts make reading by artificial light difficult, hearing disability renders conversation unsatisfactory and television is […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Firefighters used hoses from two pumpers and even turned the water cannon on a Saturday morning, Feb. 6, fire that destroyed a home in north Houston. The Houston Fire Department responded to the call a t 8:53 a.m. and found the fire well underway at 108 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal ANCHOR – Forget Punxsutawney Phil, Chicksasaw JW says spring is on the way. The Old Folks Loafing Shed at Morris Grocery on Highway 15 South of Houston hosted the 7th Annual Groundhog Day forecast with a real groundhog, real judges and, well – a forecast. “It […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Police, community and media working together can stop crime. Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi celebrated its 10th Anniversary Wednesday and honored law officers, media and the members of the community at its annual awards banquet. And Chickasaw County was honored with multiple awards. “We’ve been doing this […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal It’s official. Myrtle will begin its football program this fall after the Mississippi High School Activities Association approved the request on Thursday. “Everybody is excited,” said Myrtle assistant principal Justin Hollis, who will serve as the Hawks’ coach. “The community is fired up, these kids can’t wait.” Myrtle – which […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE — High school juniors in Chickasaw County considering medical careers in their home state have the opportunity to take part in an intense and revealing summer program at Mississippi State University. The five-week Rural Medical Scholars summer program at MSU aims to identify the state’s future […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Recipients of Adult Learner Incentive scholarships at Itawamba Community College for the 2016 spring semester include several area students. They are: Aberdeen – Flora Hayes, Lucinda Randle; Amory – Donna Dodd, Maggie Justice, Deidre Thompson, Timothy Watson, Melissa Wilbanks; Pontotoc – Tiffany Bitner, Glenda Hall, Anna Harris, Sabrina McClain, […]
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago