By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Police, community and media working together can stop crime. Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi celebrated its 10th Anniversary Wednesday and honored law officers, media and the members of the community at its annual awards banquet. And Chickasaw County was honored with multiple awards. “We’ve been doing this […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
Special to the Chickasaw Journal It’s official. Myrtle will begin its football program this fall after the Mississippi High School Activities Association approved the request on Thursday. “Everybody is excited,” said Myrtle assistant principal Justin Hollis, who will serve as the Hawks’ coach. “The community is fired up, these kids can’t wait.” Myrtle – which […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE — High school juniors in Chickasaw County considering medical careers in their home state have the opportunity to take part in an intense and revealing summer program at Mississippi State University. The five-week Rural Medical Scholars summer program at MSU aims to identify the state’s future […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Recipients of Adult Learner Incentive scholarships at Itawamba Community College for the 2016 spring semester include several area students. They are: Aberdeen – Flora Hayes, Lucinda Randle; Amory – Donna Dodd, Maggie Justice, Deidre Thompson, Timothy Watson, Melissa Wilbanks; Pontotoc – Tiffany Bitner, Glenda Hall, Anna Harris, Sabrina McClain, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In sports there is no higher honor than to have a perfect, undefeated season. And Houston Middle School has double the reason to celebrate as both the seventh and eighth grade girls basketball teams notch undefeated 15-0 records this year. The seventh grade girls outscored their opponents […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Chickasaw School District Superintendent Betsy Collums told the January meeting of the School Board she was satisfied with the recently-released Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) test results, but said the district is continuing to seek improvement. Third to eight […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – They are growing a football program in Houlka, with the 2015 edition of the Wildcats finishing the season on a positive note and earning a variety of awards at their football banquet last week. Houlka is working to build a football field and played every game on the […]
I’ve found as I get older that I am not wowed by great events and grand dreams that draw me so intensely. I’ve discovered it is the little things and smaller moments that catch my eye, intrigue me and make me think. Yes, I still have a couple of big ideas that I want to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The following children were chosen Student of the Week at Houston Upper Elementary School for Dec. 14 through Dec. 18, 2015. They are listed by teacher’s last name and student’s full name. Third Grade Brock Damien Parks McFarland Bryanna Ward Moss Gavin Smith Owens Langley Smith Rimmer […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Itawamba Community College’s Financial Aid offices have scheduled FAFSA Fridays to assist prospective students with the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. ICC staff members will be available to assist with completion of the online form as well as to answer any questions at both […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They were the first school in Chickasaw County to implement rewards for high scores on state tests and they continue to lead the way. Houston Upper Elementary School scored well on the most recent battery of state accountability tests and Principal John Ellison is quick to lay […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board extended the superintendent’s contract for three year and approved his salary. Trustees approved a three-year contract agreement with Dexter Green to serve as Superintendent of Education in the Okolona Municipal Separate School District commencing on […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Even with an increase in the unemployment rate in December, the overall jobless rate for all of Northeast Mississippi in 2015 was 6.5 percent. That’s the lowest rate in the 10 years the Daily Journal has compiled the figures, with information provided by the Mississippi Department […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann said Monday Mississippi has overcome its long history of voter discrimination and disenfranchisement and is now ready for a complete overhaul of its election laws. Hosemann, the third-term Republican, outlined during a speech at a luncheon meeting of the Mississippi State […]
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago