COLUMBUS — The following area students – listed alphabetically and by hometown — have been named to the Fall 2014 Dean’s List at MUW: Betty Atkinson of Okolona. Donna Clark of Houston. Joseph Henson of Okolona. Jasmine Ivy of Okolona. Allison Robinson of Houston. To qualify for the Dean’s List, the student must be enrolled […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOULKA WILDCAT 1975 GRAND SLAM CHAMPIONS. Members of the 1975 Houlka Lady Wildcat State Championship team were honored between the boys and girls basketball game Friday at Houlka Gym. Houlka Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, who coached that team, presented a trophy to each Lady Wildcat.
OXFORD – The following University of Mississippi students are among 752 candidates for degrees at the close of the fall semester. They have been invited to participate in UM’s spring commencement scheduled Saturday, May 9, 2015. Students are listed by name, school issuing degree and current hometown. Latorrence Antoine Bivens, Master of Education, Houston. Candace […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has released the graduation list for the 2014 fall tearm. Honor graduates include all bachelor-degree candidates with exceptional scholastic averages and at least half the total required course hours earned at MSU. Their specific levels of recognition and the minimum required averages for each, based on a 4.0 scale, include: […]
HOUSTON – It’s tough being a teenager and having to make decisions that will affect your life for years to come and teachers and principals are urging parents to get involved in their teen’s life. Houston High School will host a scheduling workshop for parents on Monday, Feb. 23, for all parents with students from […]
Special to the Journal Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona will be closing early today. Parents are urged to pick up their children immediately. Parents and caregivers are also urged not to call the school as the lines are busy. Houston School are still in session and Houston streets are passable. As of […]
HOUSTON – It is a play that showed the world who Southern folk really are and helped define Southern Culture for decades and it is guaranteed to make you laugh at yourself and the world in general. The Houston Community Theatre presents Li’l Abner in a Sunday matinee at Houston High School with people you […]
Last week was National Severe Weather Awareness Week and the sirens went off and most people looked around and wondered what was going on. This week we had severe weather in the form of freezing rain and brutally cold temperatures and again, many looked around at burst pipes, cold houses and will look at next […]
HOUSTON – It will be a lot of fun, but there will be some work too, as Houston hosts a Community Blitz Sunday and two days next week to gather input on developing the trailhead of the Tanglefoot Trail. The fun starts at noon Sunday with a bike parade from Pinson Square to the Tanglefoot […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal THORN – A Thorn man has died in a single vehicle accident after his truck left the road and struck a bridge Tuesday afternoon northwest of Houston. Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon said James Phillip Long, 53, of Thorn, was south bound on County Road 20, just north of the […]
VERONA — Mississippi State University’s North Mississippi Research and Extension Center will host its annual Producer Advisory Council meeting Feb. 19 in Verona. Agricultural clients will meet with representatives from the MSU Extension Service and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station to discuss education and research needs. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. at the […]
By W. Derek Russell Daily Journal TUPELO – “Treacherous travel conditions” were predicted for roads Tuesday in parts of Northeast Mississippi, according to the National Weather Service in Memphis. Marlene Mickelson, a meteorologist with the NWS, said that with Monday’s mixed precipitation, it makes for a big travel nightmare leading into today. “Overnight freezing from […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society is striving to have programs of interest to all citizens with several projects in the planning stages, starting with Brigadier General (Ret.) Gary Huffman. “We are honored to have General Huffman to speak at the Houston Civic Center on Starkville Road on two dates, Feb. 26 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Freezing rain was reported in some parts of Northeast Mississippi Monday creating slick roadways, but no major problems had developed. The University of Mississippi delayed opening until 10 a.m. Oxford Schools ran buses and opened two hours later than usual but intend to stay open all day. Lafayette County Schools […]
- Weather prompts outages, closings, curfews February 26, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Snow! And lots of it March 5, 2015
- On to Jackson March 5, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The snowstorm of 2015 March 5, 2015
- Fifty-three throw hat in the ring March 5, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? March 5, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago