HOUSTON – Perfect weather, quality entertainment and of course plenty of tractors and flywheels made for record crowds at the 32nd Annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Association Flywheel Festival this weekend. The threat of rain had event organizers concerned about the turnout, but Friday’s fish fry and music pulled thousands to Joe Brigance Park. Saturday started [...]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
When you walk in the door at Earp’s Barber Shop it is easy to understand you are in place tailored to cut men’s hair. “All I do is cut hair,” said Jim Earp, who has been trimming men’s manes in Houston for 39 years. “I’ve been in this location the last 10 of those years. [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Houston Upper Elementary has released the students of the week for April 15-19. Third Grade Brittany Alford-Jermaine Cockrell Brooke Alford-Khenyia Williams Atkins-Katie Hill Hillhouse-Jas-meaira Cousin McFarland-Lane Holmes Owens-Kylen Echoles Fourth Grade Davis-Julius Bell Kimbrough-Shondra Burt Kirby-Mary Grace Jernigan Love-Joseph Stevens Moore-Cade Ellison Fifth Grade Carr-Tramon Robinson Hodnett-Jamiya CUnningham
Dear Editor, There are many public uses in the media at this time. However, the failure of our Republican governor to take care of the needs of the needy and his staunch opposition to anything that President Obama stands for is leading us toward a crisis with respect to the funding of Medicaid. Governor Phil [...]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County native and Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood will speak at the Mississippi Fallen Officers Memorial Service set for May 16 at Fair Park in Tupelo. The service is held at different locations and this marks the 15th year for the ceremony that will see all 98 names of fallen law enforcement [...]
FULTON – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2013 include Molly Kathleen May of Houston, ACT Regular Incentive, Special Achievement, Leadership; Mauricio Gracia of Vardaman, Leadership; and Desaray Hankins of Vardaman, Academic, Leadership. May will be a 2013 graduate of Houston High School, where her activities have included Topper Pride band, drum major, yearbook [...]
Okolona is accustomed to seeing it’s downtown change over the years. The city was burned – twice – during the Civil War. It’s stately three-story Masonic Lodge was constructed after a massive fire in the 1900s that destroyed the center of town. It suffered an exodus of businesses and stores during the 1970s and 80s [...]
HOUSTON – In an effort to address a growing societal problem with bullying, students at Houston Middle School participated in an assembly program to learn ways to replace bullying behavior with more positive actions. The assembly was led by Windell Greene, Sr., a long-time educator and currently an associate with the educational consulting firm Empowerment [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Itawamba Community College’s chapters of Phi Theta Kappa have inducted members for 2012-13. They include: Houlka – Jensyn E. Havens, Stephen C. Higgins, Arktavius Moore, Rebecca L. Parker and Cody A. Turman Houston – Hillary M. Colbert, James N. Hood, Amber A. McFarland, Zachary M. Wilkinson, Charles T. Young, Valerie [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Jimmy and Amy Alford of Woodland announce the engagement of their daughter, Brittany Suzanne Alford, to John Wesley Parker III, son of Kim Parker and the late John Wesley “J.W.” Parker, Jr., of Calhoun City. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lancaster of Woodland, the [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Paychecks for aldermen in Chickasaw County’s four municipalities vary based on population and tax base. Okolona pays its mayor and city marshal the best, but aldermen are paid less than cities of similar size. Okolona’s mayor is paid $32,000 a year or $2,666.67 a month. The city [...]
GREENWOOD – Cortez Moss began to fully understand the importance of education at the end of his third grade year in Calhoun City. On the final day of school, he received a report card saying he would not be promoted to fourth grade. The note was an error, corrected after his mom brought the school [...]
County Health Departments offer free Immunizations this week In recognition of National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is offering free routine immunizations for infants and children through 18 years of age at all county health departments the week of April 22-26. MSDH, along with the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices, [...]
HOUSTON – On your mark, get set, help your friends and neighbors. The semi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K will be held Saturday in conjunction with the Spring Flywheel Festival and offers exercise enthusiasts an opportunity to compete for a good cause. The event is sponsored by Team Hope Houston to raise money to assist those affected [...]
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Wilson Craig May 18, 2013
- Vernon Mooneyham May 18, 2013
- Houston Lady Toppers need two wins today May 18, 2013
- Harper shuts down East Webster Lady Wolverines May 18, 2013
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Andrews Shields May 20, 2013
- Anna Spratlin May 20, 2013
- EMA, Houston Fire Department to conduct HazMat exercise. May 20, 2013
- Brown celebrates a century May 19, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- RT @bradlocke: Blog – Renfroe Wins Ferriss Trophy http://t.co/VI2rtctPX6 4 hours ago
- UPDATE: Video shows emotional Okolona officer during 2012 traffic stop http://t.co/hRKlg7KsUk 4 hours ago
- EMA, Houston Fire Department to conduct HazMat exercise | Chickasaw Journal http://t.co/7GIk49zCiQ 2 hours ago
- UPDATES - Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse http://t.co/6zjG7Cfy7y 2 hours ago
- RT @davidbrandtap: Mississippi State moves up to No. 16 in the latest Baseball America poll. Ole Miss drops out. http://t.co/aasKtB0PwH 2 hours ago