By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The weather was hot, but the music was great and fireworks lit up the night sky, so who cared if Homecoming was one week late? The annual community celebration on The Square in downtown Houston saw a good crowd turn out for an afternoon of food and […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Property values in Chickasaw County went up slightly last year and while that will prompt a slight increase in homeowner taxes paid, it also means your house probably increased in value. The new tax rolls for Chickasaw County were presented to Supervisors last week and showed […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BIG CREEK – The body of a man found dead in a ditch Saturday morning has been identified. Billy Covington, 26, of Big Creek, was found along County Road 308 around 10:30 a.m. Saturday. The body was discovered as two people were traveling east on CR 308 and noticed […]
By Floyd Ingram HOUSTON – The numbers for proposed tourism tax rose dramatically last week when Houston Mayor Stacey Parker said the revenue could bring in up to $60,000. City officials had estimated the 1 percent tax on restaurant food and lodging would raise about $10,000 but figures obtained by Chickasaw Development Foundation’s Joyce […]
The Houston Board of Aldermen were told last last year their budget and revenue were on course to create a deficit, unless ways were found to increase revenue or cut services. We think a combination raising revenue and cutting expenses is the best approach. That is why we were confused with the boards decision not […]
HOUSTON — Malik Lawrence, a resident of Houston, recently attended the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar held at Millsaps College in Jackson. Lawrence joined more than 202 other young high school leaders from the region. Representing Houston High School, Malik is the son of Fred and Beverly McIntosh. Each spring, select area sophomores from […]
By Dennis Seid Special to the Chickasaw Jouranl VERONA – Five months after opening a new manufacturing plant in Verona, United Furniture Industries is adding another 100 employees. United has moved its distribution operations to the former Lane Furniture Industries distribution facility in Wren, the company said last week. Fifty employees will be hired […]
RAYMOND — David Ching II, of Houston, has been named a Hinds Community College Deans’ Scholar. Deans’ Scholars are those students with a cumulative 3.5 to 3.9 grade point average. As Mississippi’s largest community college, Hinds Community College is a comprehensive institution offering quality, affordable educational opportunities with more than 170 academic, career and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It’s an older home with a grand magnolia tree, mature crepe myrtle, carefully groomed shrubs and a well established lawn of St. Augustine grass. Janice Moore lives in her parent’s home at 346 East Church Street and her yard was recently named the Prettiest Place in Houston […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – The National FFA organization awarded a $1000 dollar Tractor Supply – Growing Scholars scholarship to Lori McClain of the Vardaman High School FFA. The scholarship is sponsored by Tractor Supply – Growing Scholars as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. McClain plans to use the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Artists choose their subject matter with careful consideration but most would agree that there’s not a prettier canvas than a nature’s own landscape painted with trees. A group of fifth grade students across the 4-County Electric Power Association service area explored that observation firsthand recently by participating in the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A boy seriously hurt riding a four-wheeler in Houston, June 3 has died in a Memphis Hospital of his injuries. Local authorities were informed Sunday night the 12-year-old, whose name has not been released, passed away from head injuries he received when the ATV he was riding hit […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Catcher Kody Kimbrough has picked up an honor off the diamond and has been named an academic scholar at Northwest Mississippi Community College. The newly released 2014-15 MACJC Academic All-State Team includes 27 Northwest Mississippi Community College student-athletes, good enough for third-best in the league among 15 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Catarina Gomez, 16, says her faith is fun. Gomez was one of 28 youth from St. John The Baptist Catholic Church in Savage, Minn., who made the 997-mile trip to Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Houston for their annual mission trip and Vacation Bible School. […]
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago