Daily Journal reports JACKSON – Vardaman led Monday’s Class 1A state tournament girls semifinal game by five points headed into the fourth quarter, but lost two key starters in the final eight minutes and fell 49-47 to Shaw. “I thought we played hard, we just got in foul trouble (6-2 center Brittany Hawkins, guard Diamond […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Tuesday’s primary has most people talking presidential politics, but voters in North Mississippi also have the opportunity to cast a ballot for the state’s 1st Congressional District. Republican incumbent Trent Kelly faces challenger Paul Clever, a political newcomer, for the Congressional seat. The winner of the Republican primary […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Two Class 1A girls teams – Biggersville and Vardaman – are more than just happy to be here. They are focused on winning a gold ball. Biggersville (21-8), powered by senior Jada Tubbs, defeated West Lowndes 49-28 Thursday in the state tournament quarterfinals at Jackson State. She scored […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, unsuccessfully offered a proposal to require each of the 82 counties in the state to have a single school district. Jolly offered his amendment as a way to voice objections to a Senate bill that merges the Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County […]
The Pope messed up. The media has reported that the Pope questioned Trump’s Christianity because he wants to build a wall. “A person, who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian.” Interestingly enough Pope Francis lives surrounded by a 37 foot wall that was completed […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – Unprecedented growth has forced United Furniture Industries to expand its presence at the Tupelo Furniture Market. The company hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Building VI of the market Thursday to mark the official opening of another 6,000-square-foot space. United now has nearly 23,000-square feet at the market, enough […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to provide state funds to allow students to attend private schools died an unexpected death Tuesday. House Appropriations Chair Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville, opted not to consider the double-referred bill in his committee Tuesday – the deadline for bills to pass out of committee in their […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation providing state funds to allow students to attend private schools passed the House Education Committee Thursday via voice vote. The bill is expected to be one of the most contentious considered during the legislative session. Rep. Joel Bomgar, R-Madison, said the proposal “extends educational opportunity […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Educators from Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County met with legislators Thursday to try to halt proposals designed to merge the three school districts. Hours before the education officials were meeting with House members, the Senate Education Committee was passing legislation to consolidate the three districts. Senate […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Parents will be eligible for up to $5,000 per year in state funds to send their children to private schools under legislation pending in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature. The legislation could be taken up as early as today in either the House or Senate […]
In a previous lifetime I roofed houses, worked the oil fields of South Texas and of course grew up on stifling hot summer days in the sultry South. I learned early in life to appreciate a cool, clean glass of water. Most of us get up every morning and head to the – how […]
It’s that time of the year again: short days of pale light as the sun hugs the southern horizon, the drive homeward in darkness, flagging energy and with the onset of cool weather a semi-permanent chill in the extremities. Cataracts make reading by artificial light difficult, hearing disability renders conversation unsatisfactory and television is […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Firefighters used hoses from two pumpers and even turned the water cannon on a Saturday morning, Feb. 6, fire that destroyed a home in north Houston. The Houston Fire Department responded to the call a t 8:53 a.m. and found the fire well underway at 108 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal ANCHOR – Forget Punxsutawney Phil, Chicksasaw JW says spring is on the way. The Old Folks Loafing Shed at Morris Grocery on Highway 15 South of Houston hosted the 7th Annual Groundhog Day forecast with a real groundhog, real judges and, well – a forecast. “It […]
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago