By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Education is the only chance some kids get in life and they can’t get an education if they are not in school. As the 2015-16 school year begins Mississippi Department of Education reminds parents there are laws governing school attendance and they can be enforced on […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
EDITOR’S NOTE: Click the “View Today’s Election Results” box at the top of this page to get complete Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi and statewide election results. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Chuquatonchee Creek divides the county physically and Tuesday night election results show it divides it politically. Forty-seven percent of […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – For several years the Chickasaw Journal has published a calendar for the school year for Houston, Houlka and Okolona and this year it is bigger and better than ever. In years past we have offered a calendar running from the beginning of the school year in August […]
Hot weather continues to dominate coffee shop conversation around here. But look for the political rhetoric to start heating up over the next week. People are talking about what political candidate spent money on what project and what county roads got paved or at least graveled nicely over the past four years. They are talking […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Now is the time to make sure your children’s immunizations are up-to-date for the approaching school year. The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reminds parents that state law requires kids to be immunized against childhood diseases to enter school, Head Start or daycare. Chickasaw County […]
Special to the Chickasaw journal HOULKA Houlka K-4 Backpack, Sleeping mat (& blanket if desired), 2 plastic folders, 2 containers of Lysol/Clorox wipes, construction paper, jumbo pencils, jumbo crayons, 16 ct. crayons, 3 bags of dum-dum suckers, paper towels, 1 change of clothes to stay at school (seasonally appropriate), $25 fee for Graduation and party […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The NCAA has outlined serious rules violations committed at Southern Mississippi, finding multiple infractions by the men’s basketball program during former coach Donnie Tyndall’s tenure. The charges, which include arranging fraudulent academic credit, impermissible financial aid and obstructing the governing body’s investigation, were outlined in a notice of allegations released […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Houlka Board of Aldermen agreed to continue a water bill adjustment policy and took care of several other items of business during their meeting regular July meeting, according to a copy of the agenda and information provided by Mayor Jimmy Kelly and Town […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – Two Calhoun County residents have been arrested in connection with the death of Billy Covington. Frankie T. Jones, 26, of Pittsboro, was charged with first degree murder, and Ashley Hobson, 24, of Calhoun City, was charged with accessory after the fact. During their arraignments Friday, bond for Jones […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Victoria Wofford has been awarded a $4,000 Yates Companies, Inc. Scholarship for the first two years of college. Victoria was selected by a scholarship committee at The Yates Companies, Inc. based upon academics, extra-curricular activities and two short essays. “We set up the scholarship program to recognize and reward high […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON —Suspicious campaign mailers sent a week before the election drew the attention of Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann and the State Attorney General’s Office. “Sending campaign hit pieces a week before the election without disclosing who is sending the mailer is not only gutless, it’s illegal,” […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Several area residents will participate in the commencement ceremony for Itawamba Community College’s Practical Nursing and Surgical Technology programs at 7 p.m., July 17, at the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Practical Nursing graduates include: Amory – Chastity Cole. Ecru – Codi Russell. Houlka […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2015 include Hannah Beth Crudup of Houlka, Academic, Special Achievement; Haley Linley of Houston, Special Achievement, Leadership; and Justin T. Merriman of Houston, Leadership. Crudup is a 2015 graduate of South Pontotoc High School where she was a member […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal ECRU — Governor Phil Bryant and officials from upholstered furniture manufacturer Fusion Furniture Inc. have announced the factory is expanding operations at its facility in Ecru. The project represents a corporate investment of $1.6 million and will create 100 jobs, bringing employment at the Ecru location to 430. For the […]
- Teachers to be allowed to paddle September 28, 2015
- DUKE DENTON: Hospitals owe patients a list of procedure costs September 27, 2015
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Let’s get on the Trail October 1, 2015
- Flywheel Festival was fall fun October 1, 2015
- WEDDING: Adams / Gregory October 4, 2015
- WEDDING: Byrne / Blissard October 4, 2015
- AREA ROUNDUP: Adams scores three touchdowns in limited action October 3, 2015
- Tanglefoot Trail signs destroyed in Pontotoc County October 3, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Politicians parsing words October 3, 2015
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- Carolyn Goggans: In the pictures above ( the second from the bottom...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago