NEW ALBANY — Richey Sports, BNA Park have partnered with the Journal Inc. for a fund-raising baseball tournament Oct. 10-12 at the Sportsplex in New Albany. On Saturday, money collected 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from a silent auction and inflatable bouncers will go toward funding Journal Inc. Newspapers in Education programs. The baseball tournament […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOULKA – The revelation of a $100,000 budget shortfall has the Houlka Board of Aldermen taking drastic measures in an effort to balance city books. The shortfall has prompted aldermen to cut city employee’s pay and insurance and take bids to sell the former Bancorp South building that now serves as City Hall. Houlka City […]
This is the lull in the fall shopping season as local businesses get over back-to-school and look forward to the holiday shopping season. It’s the time of year when people go to football games and eat at local restaurants. It’s the time of year we start planning our Christmas shopping. And this is also the […]
The community will gather on The Square in downtown Houston at 6 p.m. Thursday to celebrate homecoming with Houston High School. Downtown merchants are asked to decorate their window for Friday’s football game with Koscuisko or with their favorite college team colors. Homecoming maids, sports teams, cheerleaders, band members and the Solar Race team will […]
HOUSTON – Everything that comes into and out of a factory has value and there is an environmental price to pay to house it, manipulate it, machine it and then ship it back out the door. In today’s environmentally conscious world, MPI has announced its participation in Leggett & Platt’s Eco Initiative, an environmental management […]
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is issuing a Silver Alert for 77-year-old Robert Lloyd Edwards of Eupora. Mr. Edwards was last seen Saturday, Oct. 4, at about noon at 705 Pogue Road in Eupora and this Silver Alert was issued at 1:35 p.m. Monday by MBI. He is described as a white male, 6-foot, 1-inch tall, weighing […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health confirmed a case of West Nile Virus in Calhoun County today. It is the third case of the mosquito-borne illness identified this year in Northeast Mississippi. In the state, there have been 43 cases confirmed and five deaths, including one in Lee County and one in Monroe County this […]
HOUSTON – They are the only domestic maker of martial arts mats and they have just cranked up production in Chickasaw County. ICG (Industrial Components Group), a division of Leggett & Platt, began production just a few short weeks ago and is a part of a feeder-plant business model that has it linked to MPI, […]
HOULKA – The best cornbread cooks in Chickasaw County are once again being sought for Houlka’s Second Annual Cornbread Festival and the community is being invited to help judge. “You can be a judge for a simple $5 and that gets you a plate and a bowl,” said Cornbread Festival coordinator Tina Pullen. “You then […]
OKOLONA – The demand for educated healthcare professionals is high and those with training to practice quickly find jobs in their community and beyond. Excel and Tenn Tom Moving Youth have teamed up to provide Certified Nursing Assistant classes in Okolona and 11 graduated from their first class last week. “We have been doing this […]
HOULKA – Mississippi’s First Lady Deborah Bryant hugged and read to every third grader at Houlka Elementary School last week. Bryant, the wife of Gov. Phil Bryant, was in Chickasaw County as part of her “Read Across Mississippi” tour Tuesday and read the book “The Fib: A Wordy Tale” to the two classes of third […]
HOUSTON – Residents have until Saturday to register with the Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office to be eligible to vote in the Nov. 4 general elections. The November election will see voters pick a U.S. Senator, area judges and also cast their ballot for local school board trustees. Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Cassandra Pulliams said […]
HOUSTON – Crowds packed Joe Brigance Park Friday and Saturday to listen to the music and watch the flywheels spin at the 33rd Annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Festival. The two-day event saw a steady crowd Saturday to eat funnel cake, run a 5K race, enjoy five musical acts and watch an antique tractor pull. Michael […]
Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hoseman said a couple of years ago he found it “troubling” that absentee voting made up 10 percent of the ballots in 20 counties across the state. And while Chickasaw County was not one of the 20, we found that number troubling, too. An Okolona school bond vote with a […]
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- Houston clicks on all cylinders October 23, 2014
- October 23, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: New math isn’t new October 18, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago