By Logan Lowery Daily Journal Another NFL hopeful from Mississippi State has been arrested. Former Bulldog and Houston High School defensive lineman Chris Jones was charged with speeding and driving with a suspended license following a traffic stop in Starkville on Wednesday. Jones was pulled over for speeding along Blackjack Road at 2:22 p.m. and […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – For the second straight year, Mississippi State has advanced to the NCAA Tournament. This time, however, the 15th-ranked Bulldogs will be dancing at home. And on the distant horizon is the defending national champ. For the first time, Starkville will play host to the first two rounds of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau announced new crappie regulations on Arkabutla, Enid, Sardis, and Grenada Lakes, also known as the Flood Control Reservoirs (FCRs), and Eagle Lake. The new regulations on the FCRs, which became effective July 22, 2015, consist of […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Senate leadership is proposing a $40 million increase in the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basics to operate local school districts. The Legislature is in the process of passing the first round of more than 100 budget bills as it […]
STARKVILLE (AP) – Former Mississippi State quarterback and NFL draft prospect Dak Prescott took two inconclusive breathalyzer tests following a traffic stop for speeding on Saturday night. Prescott was arrested and charged with speeding and driving under the influence in Starkville. His first court appearance is scheduled for April 11. Police records state that Prescott […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A vehicle to develop and pay for a plan to address the state’s and local governments’ infrastructure needs is alive in the legislative process. But at this point all that vehicle – or bill – does is keep all the code sections alive, including all taxing […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Senate Transportation Committee is scheduled to vote this morning on a proposal that would increase the tax on motor fuel about 12 cents per gallon (at today’s prices) to fund road and bridge repairs throughout the state. Senate Transportation Chairman Willie Simmons, D-Cleveland, presented […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Former Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott was arrested and charged with driving under the influence early Saturday morning in Starkville. According to the Starkville Police Department, Prescott was pulled over around 12:45 a.m. near the Cotton District driving a 2016 white Cadillac Escalade and arrested for DUI. The […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It started in court and will end up in court again, but in the mean time it makes for interesting video. A Houlka policeman has been charged with simple assault and a Houlka woman has been charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest following an incident outside Houlka […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Quite simply, Houlka could not see the backboard Monday for the trees. West Lowndes used its superior height and power inside to pound the Wildcats into submission and claim a 70-55 victory in the MHSAA Class 1A state tournament semifinals. JaQuante Bell, at 6-foot-5, and TyShun Spencer, at […]
Daily Journal reports JACKSON – Vardaman led Monday’s Class 1A state tournament girls semifinal game by five points headed into the fourth quarter, but lost two key starters in the final eight minutes and fell 49-47 to Shaw. “I thought we played hard, we just got in foul trouble (6-2 center Brittany Hawkins, guard Diamond […]
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Tuesday’s primary has most people talking presidential politics, but voters in North Mississippi also have the opportunity to cast a ballot for the state’s 1st Congressional District. Republican incumbent Trent Kelly faces challenger Paul Clever, a political newcomer, for the Congressional seat. The winner of the Republican primary […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Two Class 1A girls teams – Biggersville and Vardaman – are more than just happy to be here. They are focused on winning a gold ball. Biggersville (21-8), powered by senior Jada Tubbs, defeated West Lowndes 49-28 Thursday in the state tournament quarterfinals at Jackson State. She scored […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, unsuccessfully offered a proposal to require each of the 82 counties in the state to have a single school district. Jolly offered his amendment as a way to voice objections to a Senate bill that merges the Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County […]
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago