by Gene Phelps NEMS Daily Journal EDITOR’S NOTE: Keep checking back with chickasawjournal.com for today’s game updates. RIDGELAND – Newton County coach Justin Chaney calls it “fastbreak softball.”His Lady Cougars registered a few layups with their up-tempo attack Friday afternoon and sprinted to a 16-3, five-inning victory against defending state champion Houston in the MHSAA [...]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – As voters filed into the civic center in Houston to cast their ballots, they had to chose a party affiliation and then locate their ward. The civic center was filled with tables designating wards and plenty of poll workers were on hand to assist. This year, several new faces were in place as [...]
By Lisa Voyles and Lisa Bryant Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – “God has a plan for us all,” said Chloe Tapley as she addressed her classmates at Hebron Christian School one last time. Tapley served as Valedictorian for the Class of 2013 during graduation ceremonies held May 10 at the school in Pheba. she reminded [...]
OKOLONA – A multi-vehicle accident Wednesday night on U.S. Highway 45 near Egypt has killed the driver of an 18-wheeler and sent several area residents to the hospital. Five people were also transported to local hospitals, including a six-month-old infant, following the three-vehicle wreck that blocked the highway for a little more than an hour. [...]
No other physical attribute says more about your health than good looking skin and nothing helps give you that glow like a healthy tan. Jamaican-Me-Tan can give its customers that wholesome and healthy look and also provide you with the moisturizers to protect your tan and the perfect piece of jewelry to highlight your skin [...]
The annual memorial honoring law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty will be held May 16 at 6:30 p.m. at Fairpark in Tupelo. State Attorney General Jim Hood will be the keynote speaker for the event. The memorial is sponsored by Survival, Inc., the Lee Copunty Sheriff’s Department and the Tupelo [...]
HOUSTON – Austin Reeves heads to Nebraska in June to compete in the National 4-H Shooting Sports competition in .22-caliber and he was on the range in district competition in both .22 and shotgun recently honing his skills . Reeves was one of 27 youngsters from Chickasaw County competing in .22-caliber rifle, air-rifle, shotgun [...]
OKOLONA – The MSBA Prospective Superintendent Leadership Academy (PSLA) has successfully concluded its first year with two administrators from Okolona graduating the class. Okolona Superintendent Dexter Green and Dr. Loretta Shird, Coordinator of Federal Programs for Okolona schools were among a total of 22 administrators from 17 school districts who completed PSLA requirements. The training [...]
HOULKA – They only allow 10 people per team at the Mississippi Organ Recovery/Donate Life Mississippi 5K. So the team from Houlka picked 10 people, formed a cheer-leading squad and even carried their own fans who sat in chairs and pulled for the home team as they honored the memory of Mekenzie Young, an 8-year-old [...]
There are lots of furniture factories in Chickasaw County but few that have been around since 1976. Dixieland Furniture Manufacturing opened 37 years ago making sofas, loveseats and chairs and has found their niche in a industry with lots of ups and downs. The company continues to make upholstered furniture at the factory east of [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Due to the elections Tuesday, some home delivery and newsstand delivery may delayed this morning. The Chickasaw Journal strives to bring you the most updated information possible and reporters worked last night to get results so they could be included in today’s May 8 edition. Subscribers who do not [...]
HOUSTON – With races for Mayor, Chief of Police and two aldermen up for grabs, there was a steady turnout at the polls for city elections Tuesday. Races saw eight candidates busy yesterday making last minute pleas for votes and handing out campaign cards at the Chickasaw Development Foundation community center, the city’s lone voting [...]
OKOLONA – Okolona Superintendent Dexter Green was formally welcomed to town Sunday with a reception for the new head of Okolona schools and his family. Green, who has only been the city’s top educator for 32 days, said Okolona already feels like home and he has already made friends that he calls family. “As [...]
HOUSTON – Trustees approved an invoice of $21,629.18 to NewPath Strategy Consultants at a special called meeting Friday morning. The payment of the claim was the sole action item on the agenda, but the school board did conduct a “walk-through” of all district buildings and grounds after the meeting adjourned. The board had sought NewPath’s [...]
- Harper shuts down East Webster Lady Wolverines May 18, 2013
- Willie Owens May 21, 2013
- Runoff election final results 2013 May 21, 2013
- Okolona students take safe driving lessons May 22, 2013
- Edith Clement May 22, 2013
- Virginia Chrestman May 24, 2013
- Billy S. Davis May 24, 2013
- City tables school board appointment May 24, 2013
- Lesson for life May 23, 2013
- FLOYD INGRAM: A big day for a man with big plans May 23, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- Thirty-year auto sales event continues http://t.co/p3cVjtONHA 4 hours ago
- Burnsville 5-year-old accidentally killed http://t.co/gRCZyaqYNf 4 hours ago
- Pontotoc City Schools hire new administrators | Pontotoc Progress http://t.co/K8o08Yxs70 4 hours ago
- Chick-fil-A, two other restaurants opening in North Mississippi Medical Center « Biz Buzz Blog http://t.co/jkIt11eq1f 5 hours ago
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrests Aberdeen man on cocaine charge | Monroe Journal http://t.co/xK0DBBEkvB 5 hours ago