Everybody wants the rules and regulations to be applied equally, until it comes to their money and their family. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen has seen this happen for years with people unhappy with a monthly water bill. Last month the city was approached by a customer wanting the city to reduce their […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – Aldermen voted 4-1 in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday to seek revenue bonds to repair a well, install electronic water meters and improve the city’s water mains and sewer lines. Aldermen have been discussing the loan for more than a year as they try to improve the city’s aging infrastructure and […]
HOUSTON – In a dramatic turn of events, the Houston Board of Aldermen unanimously voted to seek a tourism tax after two day of debate that saw the tax discussed in a work session Monday night and then voted on in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday. The city had been told by local […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE –With Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant offering the keynote address, manufacturing, logistics and transportation leaders will “Focus on the Future” at the fifth annual Manufacturing Summit. The Wednesday March 18 program, held by Mississippi State University and American Home Furnishings Alliance, will be held on campus at the Franklin Center, […]
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) fisheries biologists predict mixed success in 2015 on the Corps of Engineers’ flood control reservoirs (Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid, and Grenada Lakes), based on sampling completed last fall. One to two pound largemouth and white bass were abundant in Sardis and Arkabutla Lakes, but the biggest largemouth bass […]
HOUSTON – The following children were chosen Student of the Week at Houston Upper Elementary School for Feb. 23 through Feb. 27, 2015. They are listed by teacher’s last name and student’s full name. Third Grade McFarland – Cadience McElhenney Moss – Jania Russell Owens – Shakayla Wofford Rimmer – Markerra Williams Tabb – […]
HOULKA – Mississippi youth in Chickasaw County will join youth from other states, and even countries all across the world on March 18 to voice their opposition to big tobacco companies during 2015 Kick Butts Day. Kick Butts Day is a national day for activism when thousands of youth around the world will speak out […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department had a man in custody Monday afternoon on aggravated domestic assault charges as it continues to investigates a Saturday night shooting just north of Houston. The incident was phoned in to Chickasaw County 911 about 9:45 p.m. as an accident at a house […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County supervisors will save approximately $25,000 annually in a recent move to refinance the bond for the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility and Jail. The county took advantage of low interest rates to reduce the payment on it’s debt obligation for facilities. The move could save the county over $400,000 over the […]
Mr. and Mrs. Martin Fugett are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter Jordan Danielle Fugett to James Kenneth Crawford of Houston. Jordan Fugett, of Vardaman, is the daughter of Martin and Angie Fugett of Vardaman. She is the maternal granddaughter of Joe Ward and the late Helen and Buddy Hill of Houston. Her […]
COLUMBUS – The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science is seeking applications for the upcoming two Math and Science Leadership camps to be hosted by the school are now available. The first camp will serve rising seventh and eighth graders (current sixth and seventh graders), and the second will serve rising ninth and tenth graders […]
FULTON/TUPELO – Members of Itawamba Community College’s Indian Delegation have been selected for 2014-15. On the Fulton Campus, they include Chandler Gurley of Amory; Stephanie Hardy, Autumn Sample, both of Baldwyn; James Goodman of Columbus; Sam Ivy of Ecru; Meagan Miller, Dashia Shumpert, both of Fulton; Victoria Bobo of Guin, Ala.; Marcus Walker of Hamilton; […]
OKOLONA – The sun shined Saturday and the rains held off Sunday as the 151st reenactment of the Battle of Okolona took place on Highway 41 just west of town. The two-day event saw historical reenactors from Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi gather on the actual battlefield and play-out the conflict that occurred just over 150 […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
- Saturday shooting sends woman to surgery March 23, 2015
- Ole Miss rallies for Jones March 26, 2015
- Region’s jobless rate rises March 27, 2015
- IHL, Jones mull possible contract extension March 27, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- State releases detailed bass summary March 29, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago