CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Sheena Barnett Daily Journal TUPELO – Rock, hip-hop, worship and pop collide at Winter Jam this year. The Christian music festival, hosted by Newsong, features one of its most diverse line-ups ever, including “American Idol” alum Colton Dixon, Lecrae, Thousand Foot Krutch, Tenth Avenue North and Plumb, one of the few women on the […]
PLEASANT MOUND – Tourism, history, entertainment and fellowship were all wrapped up in the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Okolona in this past weekend. The three-day event saw cannons boom, rifles fire, cavalry charge and thousands of people show up to watch it all unfold on a little spot of ground in Northeast […]
TUPELO – For some laid-off and soon-to-be laid off employees of Lane Furniture Industries, shock and disappointment have given way to some hope. At least for a few. Last month, Lane’s parent company stunned the employees at Lane’s Saltillo plant, announcing it would be closed by March 21. Heritage Home Group said “business circumstances” forced […]
HOUSTON – True love won its prize in the end and the curtain closed on another successful spring production of the Houston Community Theatre Feb. 22. “One more time, we did it,” smiled Director Janet Coker of the conclusion of this year’s offering, “Hello, Dolly.” The production was performed three times in two days for […]
Denver’s Closet can almost guarantee something new for fashion-oriented shoppers every time they come in the new store in Okolona The consignment boutique prides itself in a new and unique selection of items that owners’ Tony and Martha DeVargas try to bring to the business every week. “I can almost promise you will not see […]
JACKSON – The House Republican leadership defeated efforts Tuesday to increase funding for public education. The House voted 66-53 to send the $2.1 billion budget for kindergarten through 12th grade education to the Senate at least $265 million short of full funding under the Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula. The bill is for the school […]
HOUSTON – The first race of spring on the Tanglefoot Trail will see a marathon start in Houston Sunday morning, March 30 and event organizers hope the race will draw a crowd. Houston will see the Marathon start at 7:30 a.m. and the half-marathon at 8, at Industrial Drive crossing and head north out of […]
OKOLONA – Melvin Burks was hired to do a job and he was before Okolona Aldermen last week warning them about political fallout from the tickets he is writing. Aldermen met with Burks as they added language to their ordinance that will allow Burks to collect fees at the city pound and return dogs to […]
HOUSTON – Apache helicopter pilot James “Robin” Waltress wore a red scarf on Christmas Day as he flew missions in Afghanistan. “I just told people I was Santa Claus,” said Waltress. “The guys on my helicopter gave me a hard time about it. You could see it a mile away against my uniform.” The […]
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County. Zula Warnick celebrated her 108th birthday Sunday and was treated to a party on Valentine’s Day that saw Houston Mayor Stacey Parker present her with a special proclamation, a box of chocolates and 11 roses. “You may […]
Rad and Betty Clark marked 60 years of marriage on Sept. 18, 2013 at Pearson Chapel Church of the Nazarene in Chickasaw County. The couple had initially planned for a celebration, but Rad’s health did not allow it. Rad married Betty Ray, Sept. 18, 1953 in Kennett, Mo. They have one son David Gene […]
HOUSTON – It’s a love story, a laugh and a lot of lines that will bring out the best in tunes and talent in Houston. The Houston Community Theatre takes to the stage with “Hello, Dolly” Saturday night at the Houston High School Auditorium, and as with past productions, this one is sure to be […]
Breaking the cycle takes education, responsibility, concern CHICKASAW COUNTY – While the number of teen pregnancies nationwide is dropping, Chickasaw County still has one of the highest rates in the country. In 2011, the last year for complete numbers, the state reported 29 births to teen mothers in Chickasaw County, […]
- DAR honors Marsh with history award March 2, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- Lady Eagles wrap in Overall March 6, 2014
- Dale Weeks March 6, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago