The Houston Band is having a catfish/chicken dinner fundraiser on March 6 and the community urged to by their tickets now. Seafood Junction will serve up hot plates for $12 each with the choice of chicken or fish. Both plates will include meat, fries, slaw and hush puppies. Pick up will be at Houston Middle […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
HOUSTON – the Houston Flywheel Festival keeps getting bigger and better and the vendors who sell everything from homemade icecream and funnel cakes to artwork and T-shirts are a big part of that success. The spring show two years ago saw over 4,000 people pack Joe Brigance Park for two days of food, fun and […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The following Northeast Mississippi school districts have announced they will be closed on Wednesday, as the forecast calls for the possibility of a couple of inches of snow: * Aberdeen * Amory * Baldwyn * Calhoun County Schools. * Chickasaw County Schools (Houlka). * Clay County Schools * […]
The annual series of Lenten lunches begin this week at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend. Rev. Rex Wilburn will be the series’ first speaker on Wed., Feb. 25 at noon at First Methodist Church Family Life Center. There will be a light lunch and […]
HOUSTON – It was a simple signature but it covers the complex management of water, agriculture, industry, transportation and economic development in a 12-county area. Chicksasaw County’s Rayburn Parks was named a member of the Tombigbee River Valley Water Management District in December and he joins a board charged with working with local, state and […]
HOUSTON – Teaching middle school kids may be the toughest post in teaching, but it is so critical from moving boys and girls into the world of young men and women. Houston Middle School Principal Tony Horton said helping students make the transition from bright-eyed elementary school kids to goal-oriented high school students with a […]
JACKSON (AP) – The National Weather Service says parts of northern and central Mississippi could see slick roads and bridges as temperatures drop. Meteorologists say freezing rain is possible late Sunday and early Monday in parts of the metro Jackson area and in Vicksburg, Greenville, Greenwood and Columbus. Up to a half inch of snow […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has released its Dean’s List and President’s List for students who have completed the Fall 2014 semester. Students on the President’s List achieved a 3.80 or better grade-point average, based on a 4.0 scale, while completing at least 12 semester hours of course work with no incomplete grades or grades […]
COLUMBUS — The following area students – listed alphabetically and by hometown — have been named to the Fall 2014 Dean’s List at MUW: Betty Atkinson of Okolona. Donna Clark of Houston. Joseph Henson of Okolona. Jasmine Ivy of Okolona. Allison Robinson of Houston. To qualify for the Dean’s List, the student must be enrolled […]
HOULKA WILDCAT 1975 GRAND SLAM CHAMPIONS. Members of the 1975 Houlka Lady Wildcat State Championship team were honored between the boys and girls basketball game Friday at Houlka Gym. Houlka Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, who coached that team, presented a trophy to each Lady Wildcat.
OXFORD – The following University of Mississippi students are among 752 candidates for degrees at the close of the fall semester. They have been invited to participate in UM’s spring commencement scheduled Saturday, May 9, 2015. Students are listed by name, school issuing degree and current hometown. Latorrence Antoine Bivens, Master of Education, Houston. Candace […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has released the graduation list for the 2014 fall tearm. Honor graduates include all bachelor-degree candidates with exceptional scholastic averages and at least half the total required course hours earned at MSU. Their specific levels of recognition and the minimum required averages for each, based on a 4.0 scale, include: […]
HOUSTON – It’s tough being a teenager and having to make decisions that will affect your life for years to come and teachers and principals are urging parents to get involved in their teen’s life. Houston High School will host a scheduling workshop for parents on Monday, Feb. 23, for all parents with students from […]
- Schools announce Wednesday closings February 25, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago