WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Williams Baptist College. The scholarship is awarded to students transferring to WBC from other institutions, based on their academic achievements. Pugh is a graduate of Houston High School. He is the son of Lee and Millette Nabors of […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – The latest way to raise money for charity organizations and have a little fun will run through Houston in August. The Color For A Cause Run will be held Saturday, Aug. 23 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston with more than a half dozen local and regional organizations set to benefit from a […]
PONTOTOC — Sweet potato growers, crop consultants and other agricultural professionals can learn about current research and issues at a field day Aug. 20. Researchers and specialists with Mississippi State University’s Extension Service and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station will host the event at the Pontotoc Ridge-Flatwoods Branch Experiment Station, located at 8320 […]
HOUSTON – The Mississippi Department of Investigation is looking into the disappearance of several thousand dollars in Houston Parks and Recreation Department funds that were reported missing last month. The incident was initially reported as a theft by Parks and Recreation Director John Gravat on July 15 and involved funds from a city baseball tournament […]
HOUSTON – Your bosses are the Houston Board of Aldermen and everybody else in town, but there are a lot of people who still want the job. The City of Houston has received 39 resumes for the Houston City Clerk’s job and the board is seeking an Attorney General’s opinion to determine if a relative […]
New Site has spent a lot of money to make all those Jackson trips to the MHSAA state girls basketball tournament. From 2008 to 2013, the Lady Royals went to five straight. That’s a total of nine trips – 10 if you count a coaches scouting trip. Keep track even further and it’s “around 12” […]
INDIANAPOLIS – The National FFA Organization has awarded a $1,000 Tractor Supply-Growing Scholars scholarship to Lori McClain of Vardaman High School FFA. The scholarship is sponsored by Tractor Supply Company as a special project of the National FFA Foundation. McClain plans to use the funds to pursue a degree at Mississippi State University. The scholarship […]
Mark 7:26. The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter Have you ever tried to put air in a tire and the tire wouldn’t hold air? Well have you ever tried to push something, but the more you […]
HOUSTON – It’s planned and presented by students for students and its an annual food and fun event. Picnic in the Park is a first-day-of-school celebration unique to Houston and it is coordinated by the Houston High School Student Council. “We just have hamburgers, drinks and have a little fun,” said Leslie Bigby, Houston High […]
Not long ago while preaching at Shady Grove I saw a very large black dog that resembled a black bear. After mentioning this to the congregation it has been difficult to keep folks inside the building. I will admit to glancing outside during the service myself. After talking about the bears I was reminded of […]
FULTON – Several area residents will participate in the commencement ceremony for Itawamba Community College’s Practical Nursing and Surgical Technology programs at 7 p.m., July 25, at the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Practical Nursing graduates include Ashley Marie Phillips, Morgan Fears, Brookelyn A. Young, all of Amory; Kristi Leigh […]
HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail opened in October last year and while other communities along the trail have been quick to capitalize on the new tourism asset, Houston has not seen anything built to enhance the Trail. Joyce East, Executive Director of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Vice Chairman of the Tanglefoot Trail Board of […]
One of the biggest concerns for a school bus driver at the end of the first day of school is trying to get everyone home to the right place. The hardest child to deliver is the first day kindergarten child who has no brothers or sisters on the bus and has lost his name tag. […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Okolona man arrested in West Point crime August 26, 2014
- 2015 Solar Car team wants Australia August 24, 2014
- WHITFIELD: What’s in your backpack? August 24, 2014
- Houston considers tax increase August 27, 2014
- Okolona bond vote undecided August 26, 2014
- Okolona man arrested in West Point crime August 26, 2014
- Flywheel Festival set for Sept. 26-27 August 26, 2014
- UPDATE: Search continues for Willie C. “Doc” Harries August 25, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago