Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) confirms the first rabies case in a land animal in Mississippi since 1961 in a feral cat in Starkville. Exposures to the rabid cat, described as a small, black and white kitten, were reported in downtown Starkville and in a remote […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – Young adults ages 16-24 can participate in a five-week Counseling 2 Career program at WIN Job Centers in Itawamba Community College’s five-county district. C2C is an opportunity for work experience and assistance with securing full-time employment. Participants in the C2C program must not currently be enrolled in any school; have the desire […]
STARKVILLE — The Early Years Network: Special Needs program is hosting a free Developmental Screening Day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Starkville Aug. 18. A team of early childhood specialists with the network’s special needs program will conduct screenings at the Child Development and Family Studies Center, located at 501 Collegeview Street […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Trampis C. Boyd, a resident of Okolona, recently attended the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Seminar held at Milsaps College in Jackson. Boyd joined more than 202 other young high school leaders from the region. Representing Okolona High School, Trampis is the son of Trampis and Diana Boyd. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – North Mississippi Medical Center is looking for overweight, inactive children and their families who want to make a change. F.I.T. (Families in Transformation) is scheduled for Aug. 17-Oct. 8 for children ages 8-13 with their parent or guardian. Education/exercise sessions are required for each child and a parent […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — Debby Carnathan grew up around agriculture and has even made a career out of it, but she will be the first to say she doesn’t have a green thumb. As director of the Chickasaw County USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, Carnathan can quickly help landowners with conservation […]
“They” say one should never mix religion and politics. Interestingly, America’s Founders ensured a combination of freedom of religion and freedom of speech in a political context in the very first Amendment of the Bill of Rights: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – As the new Houlka Attendance Center rises from the ashes, Chickasaw County School Board Trustees went about the normal business of starting school and educating children this fall. During its Tuesday, Aug. 4, meeting Trustees heard details of a proposed new building to replace […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An exhaustive recount today has seen a proposed tourism tax go from a one-vote lead on Tuesday night to a two-vote loss Wednesday afternoon. Complete but unapproved totals show 335 ballots cast for the 1-percent tax to 229 voting against. A total of 564 votes were tallied and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Initial election results Tuesday night indicate a hotly contested tourism tax vote has passed by one vote. Houston’s proposed tourism tax referendum saw 339 ballots for the 1-percent tax and 225 against it in an election that was fiercely contested by restaurants in the city this summer. The […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A student with a thought-out plan is a student destined to do great things. Houston High School will host a meeting for students and parents at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 11 and will discuss changes and graduation options for high school students. “We have these meeting each […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal One cousin is at one place, one cousin is at another. Both are stars. Despite rumors that will continue to surface, likely for three more years, Robert Woodard will play basketball for Columbus and Ma’Darius Hobson will play for Houlka. For now, anyway. But for AAU team Da House, the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The best part of Fire Academy is squirting water, but kids learn a little about safety, too. The week-long Eighth Annual Houston Fire Academy finished up Friday night with the traditional field exercises where kids got to man a fire hose, sit in a helicopter and test […]
HOULKA – A school without teachers is just another building. The Houlka School Board of Trustess has named their 2015-16 list of teachers and non-contract personnel as they plan for the first day of school this week. Teachers, administrators and some support staff in Mississippi School are signed to contracts each summer with the district […]
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Excellence in all things October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- SONNY SCOTT: History as philosophy. Read it! October 10, 2015
- Former MSU great Goode dies at 76 October 9, 2015
- WEEK 8: High School Football Capsules October 9, 2015
- McClain invites friends to Troy October 9, 2015
- Signs of history October 9, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago