HOUSTON – The first 2015 term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court opened Monday in Houston with a number of high profile cases slated for the year’s new docket. The March term saw a total of 54 cases on the docket, down from the 60 posted in December. Drug charges continued to dominate the docket with […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOUSTON – Katylynn Thomas-Walls Wright and Matthew Wright, of Houston, are proud to announce the arrival of their son, Emmitt Verell Wright. Emmitt was born at 2:02 p.m. Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital. He tipped the scales at 7-pounds and 6-ounces. He was 20 inches long. Emmitt is the […]
The Spring Fling Market and Easter Egg Hunt will be Saturday, March 28 in downtown Houston. Participating stores will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the annual Easter Egg hunt will be held on the Courthouse lawn at high noon. For details contact the Chickasaw Development Foundation at 662-456-2321.
By Chris Kieffer, Bobby Harrison and Errol Castens Daily Journal TUPELO – University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has been offered a two-year contract extension by the State Institutions of Higher Learning, sources have confirmed to the Daily Journal. Under the offer, Jones would be given a two-year extension, instead of the traditional four-year contract, […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County had the second highest unemployment rate in Northeast Mississippi this winter at 10.2 percent. Only Clay County, which saw unemployment drop from 18 percent earlier this year as construction of Yokahama Tire hits full speed, was higher at 13.5 percent. Local officials hope the arrival of the spring planting season will […]
By Jeff Eubanks and Errol Castens Daily Journal OXFORD – Cheers and chants joined speeches, pledges and resolutions Wednesday when about 2,500 supporters of University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones rallied in the Lyceum Circle to demand his continuation as UM’s leader. The IHL Board decided last Friday and reaffirmed on Monday not to extend […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The Winter of 2015 has been tough on county roads. The snow and freezing weather earlier this month cracked pavement and this was quickly followed by a week of rain that washed out potholes on hard surface streets and formed ruts and washboards on gravel roads. And all the county can do […]
A quick look around will tell anyone this is the season to plant. We’ve had our cold weather and yes, the rain has slowed most farmers down, but the Sun shines a little longer and stronger and the green is beginning to show. Even city folk can look around and see it is Spring and […]
JACKSON – It’s tough to know creel limits, slot size and the finer points of fishing state waters, but finding fishing regulations on Mississippi’s lakes and rivers has just gotten easier. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau has launched a new interactive map that will help anglers learn about fishing […]
JACKSON—Remember those magical summer days from your youth spent exploring the outdoors? Now, your children can experience similar adventures! Register them for the “Go Outdooors … Camp” or the “Jr. Naturalist Camp” hosted by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks’ Museum of Natural Science to be held in June 2015! “Campers spend their […]
Rev. Randy Rinehart, pastor Parkway Baptist Church will be speaking at this week’s Lenten Luncheon today at noon at First Methodist Church Family Life Center. There will be a light lunch served by Cornerstone Church family and a message of preparation for Easter morning. All are welcome! Other pastors slated to speak at this weekly […]
The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded two student its top honor for academics in American history and character at Houston High School. Madison Mitchell and Liza Boyer, 11th graders at Houston High were presented their certificates and medals by Betty Atkinson, American History Chairman of the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR, recently and […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department had a man in custody Monday afternoon on aggravated domestic violence charges as it continues to investigates a Saturday night shooting just north of Houston. The incident was phoned in to Chickasaw County 911 about 9:45 p.m. as an accident at a house behind Pops Market at 1442 […]
Houston Lower Elementary School will hold 5-year-old kindergarten registration from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday March 23 at the gym. Parents must bring shot records, birth certificate, two proofs of residency and Social Security card. Children will be tested. For more information call the Houston Lower Elementary School at 456-3323 during regular office hours.
- Saturday shooting sends woman to surgery March 23, 2015
- Region’s jobless rate rises March 27, 2015
- IHL, Jones mull possible contract extension March 27, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- State releases detailed bass summary March 29, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago