By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal The days ahead bring the prospect of a yet another winter storm after a balmy break today. All Northeast Mississippi counties have been placed under a winter storm watch by the National Weather Service office in Memphis for Wednesday through early Thursday, with significant sleet and snow accumulations and as […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Deep pockets solve lots of problems and a group of Chicksasaw County volunteers did their best last week to make United Way dollars solve as many as possible. The United Way Chickasaw County Funds Distribution Committee finished up their allocation of 2015 dollars recently for agencies that will fund services to local […]
HATTIESBURG – Kristen Dupard and Jeremy Moore, students at The University of Southern Mississippi, have been selected to attend the 2015 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU), set for March 6-8 at the University of Miami. Established in 2007, CGI University challenges college students to address global issues with practical, innovative solutions. Participants take concrete steps […]
HOUSTON – The faithful are getting ready for Resurrection Sunday. The annual series of Lenten lunches will began at noon Wednesday at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center and the community is being urged to attend each week until Easter. “We’ve called around and we really are not sure how long we’ve been […]
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County. Zula Warnick celebrated her 109th birthday Monday and was treated to a party by the residents of Floyd Dyer Manor where she lives. Family had gathered on Sunday for a private party, but left plenty of cake and […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mike Hurst, stepping down from his role as a federal prosecutor, is running as a Republican against Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood. The 39-year-old Madison resident qualified Friday to seek the Republican nomination, saying Mississippi’s attorney general should be more active in fighting public corruption and should do […]
HOUSTON – Renovations at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center are already being noticed and they aren’t finished yet. The Agri-Center held a ranch rodeo Feb. 7, and the 4-H Winter Classic Horse Show Feb. 14, with the parking lot full of horse trailers and the Agri-Center full of people. “There is all the difference between daylight […]
HOUSTON – There was chili and warm conversation on a cold Sunday afternoon, but it was pondering the future of Houston that brought people out. Billed as a “Community Blitz” Sunday’s event was backed up by two more days of seminars that saw community leaders and stakeholders discuss how they want to connect the Tanglefoot […]
We are pleased that Houston Middle School is rewarding students for academic achievement. Houston School Board Trustees heard a report from Principal Tony Horton who said the school discipline problem has dropped. A similar report was given last fall by Houston Upper Elementary School Principal John Ellison. Both Principals said students can earn everything from […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal More than 4,000 homes in Chickasaw County were without power at one point yesterday and roughly 2,000 were without electricity Thursday, after a massive winter storm dumped 8-inches of snow on Houston. “Those today are just in our service area and we probably have the same amount without […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Did you really think there would be school today? With Wednesday’s snowfall dropping over 8-inches on roads in Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi school districts, businesses and institutions have begun announcing closings for Thursday. The following school districts will be closed: * Calhoun County Schools * Calhoun Academy * Chickasaw […]
The Houston Band is having a catfish/chicken dinner fundraiser on March 6 and the community urged to by their tickets now. Seafood Junction will serve up hot plates for $12 each with the choice of chicken or fish. Both plates will include meat, fries, slaw and hush puppies. Pick up will be at Houston Middle […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
- Parks named to Tombigbee Water Management Board February 24, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago