By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Fourteen students stepped onto a big yellow school bus Wednesday afternoon for the first leg of a trip that has them chasing the sun west to Australia to compete in the World Solar Car Challenge. The Houston Solar Car has won 14 national solar car races in a […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Blues music isn’t limited to just one age group of performers, as per the case of the lineup of this year’s Bukka White Festival. The Mississippi-born talent of the festival to be held on the banks of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Oct. 16 and 17 ranges in age […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Crowds packed Joe Brigance Park Friday and Saturday to listen to the music and watch the flywheels spin at the 34th Annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Festival and plans are being made for a banner event next year. The two-day event saw a steady crowd Saturday to eat funnel […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – You won’t find gold in the earth around here, but you will find millions of sweet potatoes. The sweet potato harvest is underway in both Chickasaw and Calhoun county as farmers are using dry weather to get in the field and pull potatoes from the […]
Avery Cheyenne Bryant was born at 1:31 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015 to proud parents Hannah Pease and Michael Bryant, Jr. Avery came into the world at 7-pounds, 2.6-ounces and was 19-1/2 inches long. She was welcomed home by Bentley Hayze Bryant. Maternal grandparents are Michele Fowler, or Pontotoc and Chad […]
Jordan Kelise Tittle was born at 4:23 p.m. Friday, June 26, 2015 to her proud parents Sharon and James Tittle of Houlka. Jordan tipped the scales at 7-pounds, 11.4-ounces and was 20-inches long. Jordan was welcomed home by a brother James and a sister Jayla. She is the maternal granddaughter […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Erika Cooksey is new to Chickasaw County but not new to the programs and resources that help a community grow strong families, healthy children and a higher quality of life. Cooksey is the new Chickasaw County Extension Service Family & Consumer Service agent, but is not […]
Those living outside of Mississippi may not have heard that a local Mississippi high school band did not perform at the Friday night football game because school administrators feared a federal judge would fine the school $10,000 and force the termination of school personnel he deemed guilty of violating an agreement adjudicated in his […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA -Arteria Clifton, a 7-8th grade science teacher and coach, has an equation that helps students decide which way the ball is going to bounce for them on the court, in the classroom, and in the neighborhood. That equation: Potential plus effort equal success. In other words, […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA –It’s been said that every new beginning is some other new beginning’s end. This year’s Houlka Attendance Center Valedictorian, Sawyer Byars, wants to continue the legacy of excellence his late father established teaching and coaching at the north Chickasaw County school. In his own […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Scientist, energy companies, research agencies and state and federal leaders gathered in Starkville for a nationally recognized energy symposium and the Houston Solar car was the center of attention. The Houston Solar Car team rolled out the 14-time National Solar Car Challenge solar car and parked it […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An exhaustive recount Wednesday morning Aug. 12, saw a proposed tourism tax vote go from a one-vote lead on Tuesday night to a two-vote loss on Wednesday afternoon. Complete but unapproved totals show 335 ballots cast for the 1-percent tax to 229 voting against it. A total […]
HOUSTON – It is the worst news that could run through a community and emergency personnel from across the county will train for it Thursday. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency will host a live drill Thursday morning where a person with a gun has gotten inside the Houston School of Science and Technology, taken […]
- Okolona notches academic benchmarks October 2, 2015
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag October 7, 2015
- Houston ranked 3rd in State 4A October 7, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Excellence in all things October 8, 2015
- McClain invites friends to Troy October 9, 2015
- Signs of history October 9, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago