By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Community leaders from across Northeast Mississippi will gather next week to discuss transforming public education and Mississippi’s infrastructure at the CREATE Foundation’s Commission on the Future of Northeast Mississippi State of the Region meeting. Seventeen counties in the region will be represented at the event. The 20th […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – An intense Denver McQuary asked his coach, Scott Gann, for the ball Saturday, moments after Houston’s Game 2 loss to Newton County. Gann obliged his senior right-hander Sunday night and it paid off big time as the Hilltoppers won the program’s first state championship. McQuary fired a seven-hitter […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Journal It’s the MHSAA Baseball Championships and there isn’t a bad team in the bunch as the State Playoffs get underway today at Trustmark Park in Pearl. Scheduled to kick off the day’s proceedings at 1 p.m. is the 4A series featuring the Houston Hilltoppers against Newton County. Houston […]
By Brandon Shields Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – For Houston, it’s about a shot at redemption. The Hilltoppers, who lost in the state finals last season, will get another shot at winning the Class 4A championship in a best-of-three series against Newton County at Trustmark Park. Game 1 is scheduled for 1 p.m. Wednesday. […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — Schools around Mississippi are hosting graduation and have snarled the Mississippi High School Activities Association bracket for the State Baseball playoffs. But Houston is ready to roll at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Friday’s Game Two win over Ripley gave the Hilltoppers their third North Half Championship in a row. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Mississippi’s spring squirrel hunting season opens statewide May 14 – June 1. The bag limit is four squirrels per day during the spring season. For hunters that have not hunted in the spring, there will be some similarities to the early part of the fall season. It will […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – Clay Faulkner quoted scripture and Mark Twain as he set in motion graduation season with his commencement speech at Hebron Christian School Friday night. Faulkner was the Valedictorian at Hebron with a perfect 4.0 GPA, a 28 ACT and he was named the school’s STAR student. He […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — They are one win away from a trip to Jackson and the MHSAA State Championship Playoffs. The Hilltoppers beat the Corinth Warriors 3-0 Thursday in a game with modest hitting, solid pitching and fielding, and a Major League catch to end the game. Houston scored in the first inning […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal BIGGERSVILLE – It looked to be a tough afternoon for Vardaman as they found themselves down 2-0 and bats not looking very perky. And then the Lady Rams stepped to the plate in the sixth inning. Vardaman scored eight runs on nine hits and went on to beat Biggersville […]
Vandalism is a part of doing business with the world. It is sad to say there are people who get a certain amount or pleasure or entertainment out of tearing up public property. We find that a sad way to live life. We also understand it is a crime. This newspaper was called this week […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – With a charter school expansion officially signed into law by Gov. Phil Bryant this week, local school district leaders are trying to determine how the changes will impact their schools and students. The amendments to the Mississippi Charter School Act of 2013 allow students in any C, […]
By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Chickasaw County school districts consolidation, which looked to be a certainty at one point during the 2016 legislative session, will be delayed until at least 2017. The House, by a 100-16 vote Wednesday, sent to Gov. Phil Bryant legislation to establish a 10-member […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They cleaned the streets of Houston Saturday and they need your help to keep them that way. Volunteers and Chickasaw County inmates fanned out across the community and picked up 168 bags of trash as part of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Houston Downtown Association’s Trash Bash. […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State climbed to No. 2 in the D1baseball.com national rankings on Monday after its weekend series win at previously top-ranked Florida. The Diamond Dogs (23-9-1), No. 5 a week ago, snapped the Gators’ 29-game winning streak at home with 10-4 and 2-1 victories on the final two […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago