Daily Journal A Union County woman has been arrested for allegedly attempting to make money from a tragic situation, announced Attorney General Jim Hood today. Janet Posey, 39, of Blue Springs, was arrested last night at her home in Union County by investigators with the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division with assistance from the Union […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
OKOLONA – They remembered those living veterans and those who have died at cemeteries all across America on Saturday and in Okolona, too. Wreaths Across America saw Okolona begin its ceremony at 11 a.m. sharp to coincide with the noon ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and more than 100 similar events in all 50 states […]
HOUSTON – Positive re-enforcement and strong directions from teachers, aides and administrators have prompted positive results at Houston Upper Elementary School. Houston trustees heard a report from Houston Upper Elementary principal John Ellison Monday, Dec. 8, that the school for third-, fourth- and fifth-graders has cut it discipline referral rate in half and is working […]
HOUSTON – Putting someone in charge of administrative duties at the Houston Fire Department may prompt the city to name a fire chief for the Houston Fire Department. The Houston Volunteer Fire Department has a fire chief, but the six full-time city firefighters do not and in a work session last week the Houston Board […]
HOUSTON – In the spirit of giving and helping others, the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility and County Jail are seeking sponsors to help provide simple gifts to incarcerated offenders. Chaplain Randy Hays is spearheading the project again to provide some Christmas cheer to the over 400 inmates housed at the two facilities. “Christmas is […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing trustee Bart Munlin […]
HOUSTON – This is a season of gifts and giving but there are some who want to take and steal. The Christmas holiday season usually sees an increase in crime as homes and cars fill with gifts and crooks start looking for easy targets to fill out their own Christmas list. “We just urge people […]
HOUSTON – The amenities that bring people to any given town are many and developing an organized plan to capitalize on local assets needs to involve everyone. The Chickasaw Development Foundation recently held its first meeting with state and federal officials as it tries to get a grasp on developing downtown, marketing the Tanglefoot Trail […]
(Courtesy Photo) Mrs. Mary Ruth Johnson celebrated her 90th birthday with her son, daughter and some members of their families on Sunday, Nov. 16, 2014. Mrs. Johnson is a Member of Houston Church of the Nazarene and loves good Country and Christian Music. She enjoys spending time with her family and doing what she can […]
The family of Waylon Aaron Neil Blansett are proud to announce his birth on Nov. 26, 2014 at Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center in Amory. Waylon weighed 6-pounds, 9.9-ounces and was 20 inches long and was born at 3:13 p.m. Waylon is the son of Randy and Angela Blansett of Okolona. He was welcomed home […]
Connor Dewayne Actkinson was born Oct. 30, 2014 at North Mississippi Medical Center Women’s Hospital in Tupelo. Connor is the child of Kenya Conway of Houston and Avery Actkinson, Jr., of Houston and was welcomed home by sibling Avery Cole Actkinson. Connor tipped the scales at 7-pounds, 5-ounces and was 18-1/2 inches long. Conner’s maternal […]
A Compassionate Friends Candlelight Service for families who have experienced the death of a child or grandchild is planned for 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 14, in the Fellowship Hall of First Baptist Church, 300 N. Church St. Families are invited to join others to remember these children during the Christmas season. A “remembrance table” will […]
Oh, my goodness! What a great year for Okolona… Some really positive things took place in 2014. The furniture business is going strong, seven new or relocated businesses located on Main Street, the annual banquet and golf tournament were excellent, the Business Christmas Open House was a phenomenal success . . . the best ever, […]
OKOLONA – This Saturday, citizens from across Chickasaw County will gather at Rockwell City Auditorium in downtown Okolona to honor veterans during the holiday season as part of the annual Wreaths Across America Day . Major sponsor, the GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club, with the help and support of its partners, The City of Okolona, Okolona Area […]
- PERRY GRUBBS: It’s been a good year for Okolona December 13, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Reaching out to offenders December 17, 2014
- Tupelo man killed in Tuesday morning wreck December 17, 2014
- Union County woman arrested in scam after burning death December 19, 2014
- Wreaths across America December 19, 2014
- Board hears report on HUES December 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston, Mississippi December 18, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Change December 18, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago