Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Now is the time to make sure your children’s immunizations are up-to-date for the approaching school year. The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) reminds parents that state law requires kids to be immunized against childhood diseases to enter school, Head Start or daycare. Chickasaw County […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
Special to the Chickasaw journal HOULKA Houlka K-4 Backpack, Sleeping mat (& blanket if desired), 2 plastic folders, 2 containers of Lysol/Clorox wipes, construction paper, jumbo pencils, jumbo crayons, 16 ct. crayons, 3 bags of dum-dum suckers, paper towels, 1 change of clothes to stay at school (seasonally appropriate), $25 fee for Graduation and party […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The NCAA has outlined serious rules violations committed at Southern Mississippi, finding multiple infractions by the men’s basketball program during former coach Donnie Tyndall’s tenure. The charges, which include arranging fraudulent academic credit, impermissible financial aid and obstructing the governing body’s investigation, were outlined in a notice of allegations released […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA — The Houlka Board of Aldermen agreed to continue a water bill adjustment policy and took care of several other items of business during their meeting regular July meeting, according to a copy of the agenda and information provided by Mayor Jimmy Kelly and Town […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PITTSBORO – Two Calhoun County residents have been arrested in connection with the death of Billy Covington. Frankie T. Jones, 26, of Pittsboro, was charged with first degree murder, and Ashley Hobson, 24, of Calhoun City, was charged with accessory after the fact. During their arraignments Friday, bond for Jones […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Victoria Wofford has been awarded a $4,000 Yates Companies, Inc. Scholarship for the first two years of college. Victoria was selected by a scholarship committee at The Yates Companies, Inc. based upon academics, extra-curricular activities and two short essays. “We set up the scholarship program to recognize and reward high […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON —Suspicious campaign mailers sent a week before the election drew the attention of Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann and the State Attorney General’s Office. “Sending campaign hit pieces a week before the election without disclosing who is sending the mailer is not only gutless, it’s illegal,” […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Several area residents will participate in the commencement ceremony for Itawamba Community College’s Practical Nursing and Surgical Technology programs at 7 p.m., July 17, at the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. Practical Nursing graduates include: Amory – Chastity Cole. Ecru – Codi Russell. Houlka […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2015 include Hannah Beth Crudup of Houlka, Academic, Special Achievement; Haley Linley of Houston, Special Achievement, Leadership; and Justin T. Merriman of Houston, Leadership. Crudup is a 2015 graduate of South Pontotoc High School where she was a member […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal ECRU — Governor Phil Bryant and officials from upholstered furniture manufacturer Fusion Furniture Inc. have announced the factory is expanding operations at its facility in Ecru. The project represents a corporate investment of $1.6 million and will create 100 jobs, bringing employment at the Ecru location to 430. For the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Jackson—A statewide comparison of absentee ballots cast thus far in the Primary Election shows several counties have a high number of absentee ballots requested. “High absentee ballots are always cause for concern with our Agency,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “Now that Mississippi has passed Voter ID, absentee […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal FULTON – Students at Itawamba Community College will have the option of participating in a new Mississippi Army National Guard-affiliated program or taking a military science course. The Magnolia Gold Program will be open to any full-time college student who is a U.S. citizen and maintains a 2.0 GPA. […]
FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices It’s the middle of summer and it’s too late to plant, too early to harvest and too early to start talking football. That means it’s the season to talk politics. County candidates planted seeds when they filed in the spring and most are busy fertilizing – or […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2015 include Madison Halvorson of Houston, Academic; McKenzie Morris of Houlka, Academic, Leadership; Alex Rucker of Woodland, Special Achievement, Leadership; Andrew Rucker of Woodland, Special Achievement, Leadership; and Danielle Rodgers of Houston, Leadership. Halvorson will be a 2015 graduate of Vardaman High […]
- WEDDING: Booth/Schlicht July 26, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Mayors takes issue with column August 1, 2015
- Wake up America, move forward August 1, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago