JACKSON (AP) – A 7-month-old Mississippi infant is dead and authorities continue to search for her sibling. Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley says 2-year-old Maliah Harris disappeared with her parents after her 7-month-old sister, Alyssa, was found dead. County Coroner Greg Merchant says there were no visible signs of injury. An autopsy is being […]
Archive | Living RSS feed for this section
Living Section – Family, Cooking, Fitness, Life, Love and Loss | Monroe County Journal
HOULKA – The late Jimbo Byars knew the value of education and the people who miss him most want to make sure he continues to leave his mark in academia. For the second year, two scholarships in honor of the former history teacher and coach at Houlka Attendance Center will be presented at graduation and […]
JACKSON – Three local students recently spent some time in the State Capitol as Senate pages for District 8 Senator Russell Jolly of Houston. Harley Morgan Nabors, Alexis Smith and Alex Springer all made their first trip to Jackson to participate in the page program. Pages traditionally run errands for officials and Senate staff and […]
HOUSTON – The dates for Houston Homecoming has been set and entertainers announced for the community’s annual July 4th celebration on The Square downtown. July 4 falls on a Friday this year and the Houston Homecoming committee had pondered hosting the annual event after Independence Day. “We’ve always held it the Saturday before July 4th,” […]
MANTEE – A small church in a small community is sharing love in a big way. Members of the Missionary Society and children of New Covenant M.B. Church have created 53 Easter baskets for the elderly in the community and surrounding areas. “Last year was the first year we did it,” said Courtney Ivy. “We […]
Dr. Stanley Meyers, an allergist in Memphis, told me while I was a patient that I never would have a good April because of the pollen floating everywhere. I drove to his office in East Memphis with my hands so swollen I could hardly steer the car. After all tests were finished he said to […]
Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Murphy of Hernando, Miss. announce the engagement of their daughter, Kayla Brooke Murphy, to Bryant Chase Smith of Vicksburg. Mr. Smith is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Kent Smith. Miss Murphy is the granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Darrell Spivey of Vicksburg, Mr. and Mrs. Frankie Murphy of Iuka, Miss. […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Most people are surprised what they can find in their local library. The Houston and Houlka libraries will host a variety of events April 13-19 as part of National Library Week. “We have a lot of people who rarely – if ever – visit their local library,” said Lisa Mims, library manager […]
Bobby and Joy Soden of Houston are pleased to announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of their daughter, Elizabeth Grace, to Parker Delaine Smith, son of Phillip and Linda Smith of Houlka. The bride-elect is the granddaughter of Joe and Barbara Box of Houston, David and Nancy Vance of Houston and Sue Soden of Aberdeen […]
HOUSTON – Farming is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country and 80 percent of all accidents occur in the home. With those two facts in mind, the Chickasaw County Extension Service will host the 12th Annual Ag Safety Day Thursday at the Chickasaw County Coliseum with fifth graders from all county schools […]
HOUSTON – Lenten lunches wrap up with Good Friday services and a meal at Houston First United Methodist Church Family life center at noon. “If you can’t get excited about being a Christian during Holy Week, you need to get in church this week,” said Rev. Rex Wilburn, pastor of Houston First United Methodist Church. “This […]
HOUSTON – Firefighters with the Houston Fire Department have been busy this past week answering four larger fires, a host of smaller calls and medical calls too. Firefighters were called to a shed fire on Starkville Road Friday and another one on Nabors Drive early Saturday morning. This was followed by a large grass […]
HOULKA – Thousands of people have already walked, run and cycled the Tanglefoot Trail and Houlka is trying to get a few of them to stop and spend a few dollars downtown. The CREATE Community Guidance Class at Mississippi State University has developed a project aimed at pointing Trail Trekers to the businesses and stores […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The 150th anniversary of the Civil War is underway and the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society has invited the author of a book about the local history of that event to speak in Houston. David Harrison, author of the book “Okolona in the Civil War” will be the guest speaker at […]
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Cleo Boyce April 22, 2014
- Okolona cracks down on city travel April 22, 2014
- Manufacturing event set for Franklin Furniture Center at MSU April 21, 2014
- Pink ribbon run Saturday April 21, 2014
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Amber Alert issued for missing 2-year-old Lowndes County girl April 23, 2014
- Lions snatch victory from Wildcats April 23, 2014
- Houston hosts a who? April 23, 2014
- Paying it forward April 23, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 11 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 11 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 11 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 11 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 11 months ago