EGYPT – A simple sign on Highway 45 marks one of the most convoluted and difficult to understand Civil War battles in Northeast Mississippi. The Mississippi Department of Archives and History unveiled a marker for the Battle of Egypt Friday with historians telling the details of this conflict that occurred in the closing days of […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Everybody wants the rules and regulations to be applied equally, until it comes to their money and their family. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen has seen this happen for years with people unhappy with a monthly water bill. Last month the city was approached by a customer wanting the city to reduce their […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen voted 4-1 in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday to seek revenue bonds to repair a well, install electronic water meters and improve the city’s water mains and sewer lines. Aldermen have been discussing the loan for more than a year as they try to improve the city’s aging infrastructure and […]
HOUSTON – In a dramatic turn of events, the Houston Board of Aldermen unanimously voted to seek a tourism tax after two day of debate that saw the tax discussed in a work session Monday night and then voted on in a special called meeting at noon Tuesday. The city had been told by local […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE –With Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant offering the keynote address, manufacturing, logistics and transportation leaders will “Focus on the Future” at the fifth annual Manufacturing Summit. The Wednesday March 18 program, held by Mississippi State University and American Home Furnishings Alliance, will be held on campus at the Franklin Center, […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The state Senate rejected a proposal to phase in full funding of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program over a three-year period and instead sent to Gov. Phil Bryant a bill that increases funding for education by $110 million. The Senate proposal, which passed the House earlier […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County supervisors will save approximately $25,000 annually in a recent move to refinance the bond for the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility and Jail. The county took advantage of low interest rates to reduce the payment on it’s debt obligation for facilities. The move could save the county over $400,000 over the […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
HOUSTON – A proposed tourism tax for Houston appears stalled on a 3-2 vote as aldermen ponder how the money would be spent and how it will affect economic development. Houston Aldermen have been talking about implementing a 2-percent tax on food and lodging since last fall as they face a deficit budget this summer […]
The Houston Board of Aldermen were told last last year their budget and revenue were on course to create a deficit, unless ways were found to increase revenue or cut services. We think a combination raising revenue and cutting expenses is the best approach. That is why we are confused with the boards decision not […]
By Lynn West New Albany Gazette The Union County Sheriff’s Department seized what was called one of the largest amounts of pure “ice,” or crystal methamphetamine, in anyone’s memory. Four individuals were taken into custody Friday, and more than $1,000 in cash was seized as well. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the drug seized weighted 44 […]
HOUSTON – The best civics lessons are those where you see government in action. Fourth and fifth graders in the Houston Upper Elementary School Gifted and Talented Class sat in the Courtroom of the Chickasaw County Courthouse recently and watched the court pick a grand jury. Students then got a chance to hear from the […]
HOUSTON – A three day event has Houston saying it wants signage, a park and a chance to link the Tanglefoot Trail to more places around town. The community gathered at the Civic Center in Joe Brigance Park Sunday, Feb. 15 to draw the community together and ponder the development of tourism in Houston. That […]
CHICKSASAW COUNTY – The candidates have announced their decision to run for public office and will now seek your decision as they run to fill 16 counties offices this election year. The final day to qualify for the Aug. 4 Party Primary ballot was Friday and candidates will now hit the streets seeking votes and […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houston heads to state championship May 20, 2015
- Cook named HSD superintendent May 21, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago