OKOLONA – It’s tough being a teenager. The pressure on today’s teenager is greater than it has ever been and Calvary Baptist Church is seeking to teach kids ways to handle that burden and make good choices with TURN UP. “I had a vision for something like this and spoke to Shondra Gathings about […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – There are thing in this town that were started, built and done by Pilot International. But if ask a Houston Pilot Club member what they like the most about their organization is the people it has helped. “I’ve been a member since 1976 and I can’t tell you how many people we have […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It takes two to make a baby, but the burden of a teen pregnancy almost always rests on mom. While teen pregnancy does not carry the stigma of 20 years ago, there are still many hurdles a teenage girl must overcome to make a better life for herself and her […]
I had just started changing the oil on my car Saturday and glanced toward my garden at the bottom of the hill. Water was gushing out of a faucet down there that is used to water tomatoes and peas in a warmer season. It seems the cold weather last week broke the brass fitting on […]
Once again the merits of doing public business in public has been put to the test. And those living in the Houston School District have gotten an “A.” The Houston School District Board of Trustees dismissed their attorney’s earlier this month after they were made aware of some type of alleged conflict of interest involving […]
HOUSTON – At 17, Lakyn Shempert’s plans for the future seemed to be coming together smoothly. The Houston senior had been scouted by community college softball coaches and planned to attend Northeast Mississippi Community College and either cheer or play ball. When she found out she was pregnant, all her plans went on hold. “I […]
Chris Turner doesn’t sell insurance, he serves customers. Turner began his business in Houlka in 2007 but has been working in the field of insurance since 2000. “My great-grandfather actually opened an insurance company in his store in Houlka in 1905 selling insurance for Western Assurance out of Canada,” said Turner. “With a heritage […]
The Pilot Club of Houston will celebrate their 50th anniversary Feb. 1 with a reception from 2-4 p.m. at Parkway Baptist Church in Houston. All are invited to attend.
HOUSTON – The Houston school board is looking for new attorneys in its effort to get a leaking roof fixed. Trustees dismissed Tupelo attorneys Gary Carnathan and Bill Murphree Jan. 13, after a closed door executive session that lasted an hour-and-a-half and was billed as a need to discuss “pending or possible litigation.” Carnathan […]
TUPELO – When Ronnie Bishop opened his first barbecue restaurant in Saltillo six years ago, he envisioned having more than one store. In 2011, he opened a second restaurant on McCullough Boulevard in Tupelo, and last year, he added a third location in Booneville. In a matter of weeks, he’ll be opening the fourth Bishop’s […]
HOUSTON – They are learning to grow in the right direction. The MSU Extension Service has taken its horticulture class into the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility to teach inmates the finer points of developing, managing and growing a landscaping business. “For the man who knows his stuff and will get out and work, […]
NUMBERS 0 The number of teen births recorded by teens practicing true abstinence. 1 Mississippi ranked No. 1 and highest in teen births with a rate of 64.2 births per 1000 females aged 15-19, compared to the national rate of 39.1 births per 1000 U.S. females aged 15-19. 1 in 5 Nearly 1 in 5 […]
Some furniture companies in Northeast Mississippi said they’re able to offer jobs to some of the Lane Furniture Industry workers who will be losing theirs in the next few weeks. On Wednesday, Heritage Home Group, the parent of Lane, announced a company-wide restructuring that would lead to 480 layoffs at Lane’s Saltillo plant by March […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Nationally the number of teen pregnancies reported each year is falling but Mississippi and Chickasaw County are still above the national average in births to girls ages 15 to 19. The factors driving the drop in teen pregnancy on the national level are mixed and local professionals said Chickasaw County numbers also […]
- Garner selected as State Champ March 1, 2014
- Lady Rams open season March 6, 2014
- Voter ID available at Clerk’s office March 6, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago