Voter turnout Tuesday in Chickasaw County was modest for a county election. Roughly 46 percent went to the poll and cast a ballot. We are proud for that. But we do want to look around and try to find a reason why the majority of this community and county didn’t take the 10-minutes necessary to […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
EDITOR’S NOTE: Click the “View Today’s Election Results” box at the top of this page to get complete Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi and statewide election results. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Chuquatonchee Creek divides the county physically and Tuesday night election results show it divides it politically. Forty-seven percent of […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voters head to the poll next week to pick their county and state leaders with 53 local candidates vying for 13 posts. The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close 12-hours later at 7 p.m. with voters needing to bring voting identification. Race results will be posted […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Chickasaw County will keep a select group of state inmates to round out a county work crew but will no longer have a labor pool of up to 60 men to pull from. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors voted Monday to house state inmates in the […]
This is the final week of county elections and we hope people have already studied the candidates, made their decision and can wisely and confidently walk into the voting booth and make the right choice. Chickasaw County will be a very different place under the leadership of these newly elected officials in just four short […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The shovels were brought out and dirt was turned on a plant expansion at Quality Iron in the Houston Industrial Park last week. City and county officials along with Quality Iron leaders and Three River Planning and Development District representatives gathered at the site on Franklin Drive to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON —Suspicious campaign mailers sent a week before the election drew the attention of Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann and the State Attorney General’s Office. “Sending campaign hit pieces a week before the election without disclosing who is sending the mailer is not only gutless, it’s illegal,” […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal ECRU — Governor Phil Bryant and officials from upholstered furniture manufacturer Fusion Furniture Inc. have announced the factory is expanding operations at its facility in Ecru. The project represents a corporate investment of $1.6 million and will create 100 jobs, bringing employment at the Ecru location to 430. For the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Jackson—A statewide comparison of absentee ballots cast thus far in the Primary Election shows several counties have a high number of absentee ballots requested. “High absentee ballots are always cause for concern with our Agency,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “Now that Mississippi has passed Voter ID, absentee […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – School may be out, but summer has Okolona School Board trustees tending to the details of education as the new school year approaches. The Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board met at the Okolona Vocational Center Wednesday, July 8 and heard approving comments from […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Chickasaw County School Board met Tuesday, July 7 and took action to replace classrooms lost in a fire at the school last July. There is still no definite date to begin tearing down the gutted shell of the destroyed building at Houlka Attendance […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Houlka town officials know where there’s an extra $20,000 or so available to the town. That money – visible but not totally accessible — is unpaid misdemeanor fines assessed by Houlka Municipal Court. For various reasons, collecting all the fines is virtually impossible, according […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Tighter financial management and the sale of a building have helped the town of Houlka recover from a $100,000 shortfall discovered late last year the town mayor and city clerk said last week. “We’re solvent now and the budget we’re now operating under is balanced,” […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The state has said it will pull all inmates from county jails in August leaving both a hole in the county’s budget and hole in the county’s work crews. Chickasaw County supervisors agreed to take a wait-and-see approach as Department of Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher said earlier […]
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- Topper season finale November 26, 2015
- Houlka races past Hilltoppers November 26, 2015
- Okolona test scores improve November 27, 2015
- Chieftains roll over the Panthers November 27, 2015
- WARZELLE GILLESPIE: Thankful for so many, so much November 29, 2015
- MARTY WISEMAN: Where are we in politics? November 29, 2015
- Three Rivers, CDF, LINK honored November 28, 2015
- WEEK 15: High School Football Scores November 28, 2015
- MSU’s Jones was destined for the spotlight November 28, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago