More than 50 volunteers and local emergency services employees fanned out over Houston Monday looking for Willie Harries who has been missing since Saturday. The search team gathered at Center Hill Missionary Baptist Church in North Houston again Monday afternoon and did an intense gridded search of the Second and Third Avenue neighborhood that Harries […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – The Okolona School District saw students in cold classrooms last winter and is looking to improve buildings and athletic facilities in a $2 million bond issue to be decided by voters on Aug. 26. The Okolona Board of Trustees voted 3-2 recently to seek revenue bonds that will make repairs at facilities across […]
HOUSTON – Street department workers sent home on rainy days may get paid in the future. The Houston Board of Aldermen discussed how city street department workers are chosen to be sent home on rainy days and if they could still get paid. Ward 2 Alderman Shenia Jones made a motion to pay workers for […]
STARKVILLE – When Chickasaw County community leaders contacted Mississippi State University’s Carl Small Town Center, they wanted to discuss ways to connect the Tanglefoot Trail to downtown Houston and the Natchez Trace Parkway. The CSTC is the service and research arm of MSU’s College of Architecture, Art and Design, and the center works with officials, […]
HOUSTON – Your bosses are the Houston Board of Aldermen and everybody else in town, but there are a lot of people who still want the job. The City of Houston has received 39 resumes for the Houston City Clerk’s job and the board is seeking an Attorney General’s opinion to determine if a relative […]
HOUSTON – Driver’s licenses can now be obtained in Houston on the third Monday of each month. State, county and city officials formally opened a mobile office of the Mississippi Highway Patrol at the WIN Job Center in Houston last week and drivers can now get their licenses, permits and conduct test at the office […]
HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail opened in October last year and while other communities along the trail have been quick to capitalize on the new tourism asset, Houston has not seen anything built to enhance the Trail. Joyce East, Executive Director of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Vice Chairman of the Tanglefoot Trail Board of […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
How does your town look? Too often we become accustomed to the grown-up lots and rundown property we see around town. We just pass it off as good ole Johnny Joe’s property that has looked like that for years. He’ll get around to cleaning it up one of these days. In Houston, one of those […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a […]
Okolona police have arrested a man on robbery charges after he allegedly brandished a knife and robbed a convenience store in Okolona just after midnight Thursday. Okolona Assistant Police Chief Dwight Parker said authorities arrested Quentin Horton, 32, of Okolona, on charges of armed robbery and he is currently in the Chickasaw County Jail. Okolona […]
HOUSTON – For the 14th year in a row the Houston Solar Car Team has gone to Texas and beaten every other high school solar car team in the nation. Sundancer, the name of the Houston solar vehicle, crossed the Solar Challenge finish line in Austin, Texas, on Thursday afternoon with an unofficial 120-mile lead […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal A little more than a week before schools reopen, retailers and shoppers are gearing up for the fifth annual back-to-school sales tax holiday. Mississippi’s sales tax holiday starts Friday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday at midnight. The sales tax break will help shoppers on clothing and shoes that are […]
HILL COUNTRY, Texas — Solar racing is what Houston, Mississippi does best! The Houston Solar Car team held an unofficial 160-mile lead in a race that today will only be 150 miles from Waco to Austin. “I am so proud of this team, this car, our instructors and sponsors,” said Kristen Black, Houston Solar Car […]
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Davis Lake bridge bids opened November 27, 2014
- Who’s No. 1! November 28, 2014
- Monroe authorities need help locating missing man November 28, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 28, 2014
- Houlka powers past North Pontotoc November 27, 2014
- Houston nips Wildcats November 27, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago