HOUSTON – Firefighters pulled two people unconscious from a local business after they were knocked out by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered buffer. “In my 20 years of firefighting, I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department. “We have trained for this and recognized it […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The winners of state and regional 4-H poultry programs can easily pull down a couple of hundred dollars at the sale – and that ain’t chicken feed for any teenager. Chickasaw County saw 266 chicks delivered to nine kids this summer with youngsters now embarked on the task of getting the best flock […]
JACKSON – Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12. The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot. Signature collectors […]
HOUSTON – State law requires parents to prove they live in a school district before they enroll a child in school. The Mississippi State Board of Education is reminding parents that falsely giving residency information is a misdemeanor and conviction can see the parent or guardian fined. Several cities in Mississippi have passed ordinances making […]
HOULKA – Gerald Young plowed mules as a boy. That’s why he loves tractors so much. “My daddy bought a tractor in 1964 and it changed my life,” said Young. “Tractors didn’t make farming fun, but they sure make it a lot easier.” Young was one of more than a dozen antique tractor enthusiasist who […]
HOUSTON – Legion Lake is one of the unheralded natural resources of Houston, but it will be the place to be Saturday morning when the sun comes up. The Chickasaw Development Foundation and the Houston Hawg Callers bass fishing club will host the first annual Legion Lake Lunker Fishing Tournament for Kids with registration starting […]
UNA – It started with a discussion at a family reunion about a way to make something good happen in Una and quickly grew into a community event that everyone enjoys. The Eighth Annual Una Fun Fest will be held June 6-7 at the community park and pavilion in Una and the public is being […]
HOUSTON – A Chickasaw County man is the first person to trek all 44-miles of the Tanglefoot Trail in a day in a wheelchair. “It’s actually 43.6 miles,” said a tired but smiling Robbie Pipkin. “I am worn slap out, but I’m so glad I did this. I am so glad I did this.” Pipkin […]
This column is being written on Friday afternoon and have no clue who is going be the victor in the Thad Cochran/Chris McDaniel primary race for the U.S. Senate. I have watched politics for years and when I heard these two would not stand face to face in a public debate, I knew we were […]
As part of the continuing “Live in the Park” series sponsored by the Chickasaw Development Foundation, Brenda Whitlock will be in concert in the Master Gardners Park beside Houston City Hall June 5. Whitlock is a native of Okolona and a renowned gospel singer/songwriter whose lastest song “Not Gonna Let Nobody Take My Crown,” was […]
HOULKA – Chickasaw County School Board Trustees adopted a $4.4 million budget Monday night that will require them to dip into their fund balance to balance the books. On a motion by Trustee Pam Butler and a second by Michelle Collums, the district voted to approve the 2014-15 budget. Trustees Kenneth Linton, Jamie Earp and […]
By David Espo and Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Forced into a Mississippi runoff, challenger Chris McDaniel and veteran Sen. Thad Cochran plunged into a three-week campaign Wednesday to pick a Republican candidate for the fall and settle the tea party’s last, best attempt of the year to topple a pillar of the […]
Associated Press Here are the latest, unofficial returns from Mississippi in the Republican and Democratic primaries for U.S. Senate. U.S. Senate GOP – Primary 1,827 of 1,832 precincts – 99.7 percent Chris McDaniel 153,524 – 49.54 percent Thad Cochran (i) 151,590 – 48.91 percent Thomas Carey 4,799 – 1.55 percent ––––– U.S. Senate Dem – […]
HOULKA – The only people law enforcement officers feel comfortable around is other law enforcement officers. The City of Houlka and Houlka Police Chief Ray Laney hosted the third annual Chickasaw County Law Enforcement Appreciation Luncheon at noon May 14, at the Houlka Community Center with over 39 law enforcement and court officials in attendance. […]
- Nineteen arrested as part of Itawamba County drug roundup July 15, 2014
- Two die in fire north of West Point July 18, 2014
- McDaniel supporters comb ballot boxes July 19, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it July 19, 2014
- VanCleave celebrates 105th birthday July 19, 2014
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Young farmers’ plight: State regulations hinder sustainable chicken farm’s sales July 21, 2014
- Football meetings July 21, 2014
- Staten meets with city, county July 21, 2014
- City seeks infrastructure funding July 21, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago