HOUSTON – A bomb scare at the local WalMart was apparently part of a wider scam to extort money from businesses across Northeast Mississippi Wednesday afternoon. The Houston store was contacted by phone about 2 p.m. and told to wire money to a “green money card” or a bomb would be detonated in the store. […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Regina Butler Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Unofficial results in Tuesday’s special election showed Pontotoc residents approved the legalization of beer sales, while the legalization of liquor sales was narrowly defeated. Unofficial results Tuesday night are still subject to the counting of 55 affidavit ballots which will be counted on Sept. 24, officials said. Unofficial […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids to repair the roof of the Chickasaw County AgriCenter last week with Century Construction of Tupelo getting the work for a price of $72,000. The AgriCenter was awarded a grant of $250,00 for repairs of the 40-year-old metal coliseum south of Houston by the state this spring and […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen have changed the way cash is handled at the Houston and Parks & Recreation Department and at all city locations. The board voted on a list of new procedures last week that will require immediate deposit of cash into local bank drop boxes and a series of new checks and balances to […]
Family, friends and Chickasaw Development Foundation members gathered at Topper Zone for a Grand Opening recently. The business at 327 First Avenue in Houston offer inflatables, concessions and party space to church groups, school events and family birthday events. Topper Zone is operated Karen Hill and they can be reached to book community events by […]
HOUSTON – City taxpayers will see their millage rate go up but their actual tax bill will probably stay the same. The county’s revaluation of property saw real property values go down this year generating few dollars for city coffers. To offset the drop, the Houston Board of Aldermen are looking to raise the millage […]
HOUSTON – When the clinic at Trace Regional closes at 9 p.m., each night, ambulance service suddenly becomes a critical care service for all residents of Chickasaw County. Trace Regional Hospital in Houston closed their emergency room Monday and replaced it with a rural clinic open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a […]
Trace Regional Hospital in Houston closed their emergency room at 9 a.m. sharp Monday and it is too early to tell the full ramifications of that move. But we do know this: Ambulance service in Chickasaw County has now become a very critical issue. With no emergency room in this county from 9 p.m. to […]
HOUSTON – The U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) has approved a $1.47 million investment grant to help construct a new water system to serve current and future tenants at Houston’s industrial park. The funding will cover just over half of the projected $2.94 million cost of the project. The City of Houston applied for the […]
OKOLONA – The election commission created for a special Okolona School Bond issue quickly counted 465 absentee ballots Wednesday and declared a $2 million school bond issue had passed. Final and official totals sent to the Secretary of State Delbert Hoseman reported 1,061 votes for the bond referendum and 634 against it, or 63 percent […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Marian Schutte, an official with Louisiana’s Recovery School District, is likely to be the first executive director of Mississippi’s Charter School Authorizer Board. The board voted 5-0 Thursday to hire Schutte, pending approval by the state Personnel Board. Schutte has handled charter school authorization and monitoring for the […]
HOUSTON – Senatorial candidate Thad Cochran (R-Miss) stopped in Houston Friday to visit with employees at Franklin Corporation and discussed immigration, events unfolding in the Middle East and the need for Republicans to vote for him this fall. Cochran was at Franklin for about an hour Thursday and chatted with employees about issues and shook […]
Economic development has changed and is no longer the business where men in suits travel the country and the world visiting with industrialist seeking to lure them to our area. Today’s factory announcement comes after the company has carefully looked over a community without us knowing about it and then makes a phone call saying […]
Monroe Journal Two people were arrested in an apparent online counterfeit scheme. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, with the assistance of the U.S. Federal Marshal Service, took into custody Dan Judd, 25, of Okolona, and Shontell Wilborn, 22, of West Point. Both suspects are charged with one count of false pretense each. The arrests were […]
- PERRY GRUBBS: It’s been a good year for Okolona December 13, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Reaching out to offenders December 17, 2014
- Tupelo man killed in Tuesday morning wreck December 17, 2014
- Union County woman arrested in scam after burning death December 19, 2014
- Wreaths across America December 19, 2014
- Board hears report on HUES December 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston, Mississippi December 18, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Change December 18, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago