By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – There will be a pair of town hall meetings next week in Tupelo to gather signatures and answer questions about a ballot initiative that would legalize marijuana in Mississippi. The Mississippi Alliance for Cannabis will meet Monday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Kermit’s Outlaw Kitchen on […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County’s unemployment rate dropped to 8.9 percent, the lowest in more than six years, according to figures provided by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security. The low jobless rate was attributed to a strong demand for manufactured goods – specifically upholstered furniture, a late harvest season and modest gains in the retail […]
The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may prove […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The 2015 session of the Mississippi Legislature, which starts Tuesday, will not be lacking for high-profile issues that could cause conflict and hard feelings this election year. Among the issues that could be contentious are: • A possible tax cut. • Additional funding for education. • […]
HOUSTON – An extremely tight city budget has aldermen looking at revenue sources as they work to keep city services at a high level and pay for infrastructure improvements. A review of water revenue earlier this month indicated the city may have to go up on their rates in 2015 to pay for new water […]
HOUSTON – Police Chief Billy Voyles is a little old fashioned, so if you get an Email saying you owe the Houston Police Department for a a traffic citation, don’t believe it. Voyles said his department has received two calls from Houston residents who have gotten Emails saying a traffic citation has been issued on […]
By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal When Mississippi adopted the Common Core State Standards four years ago, there was little fanfare. The new guidelines for English and math instruction were not a political talking point during the summer of 2010. Nationally, there was much more discussion about the BP oil spill, the new health care law […]
HOUSTON – There are always people in need and that means Chickasaw County needs United Way now more than ever. United Way provided $102,000 of assistance to 32 agencies serving people from Chickasaw County last year and this year 30 agencies have requested roughly $106,000. Mike Mitchell, United Way Campaign Associate, said it is no […]
JACKSON (AP) – A federal judge has denied Google Inc.’s motion to block enforcement of a subpoena issued by Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood that seeks information from Google about parts of its operations, including information about advertising for imported prescription drugs. Federal court records also show U.S. District Judge Henry T. Wingate put Google’s […]
Wesley Walls, the Pontotoc standout who played at Ole Miss and rose to prominence in a 13-year NFL career, was inducted Tuesday night into the National Football Foundation’s College Hall of Fame. The 57th NFF Annual Awards Dinner was held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. “I’m truly honored and humbled,” Walls said […]
I’ve been around the newspaper business for about 44 of my 54 years, having started out in this profession throwing papers at the tender age of ten in West Point. Delivering newspapers every afternoon five days a week and then trying to collect for your services on weekends will teach you a lot about business […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night, Dec. 16. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the board voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing […]
This Christmas, as you hustle and bustle about the house and community, we want you to reflect on a news event that happened over 2,000 years ago. There is a phrase on the front of this newspaper that states “A locally owned newspaper dedicated to the service of God and mankind.” We take those words […]
JACKSON – American Pickers is coming to Mississippi and Louisiana in January, looking for interesting characters with lots of interesting items to sell. American Pickers is a documentary series about the world of antique ‘picking’ on the History Channel. The show follows two of the most skilled pickers in the business, Mike Wolfe and Frank […]
- Trustees get report on Middle School February 23, 2015
- PREP BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Houlka and Okolona still dancing February 27, 2015
- Carrot and stick February 27, 2015
- Houston ponders community assets February 27, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 1, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago