The Annual Houston Christmas Parade will be held at 6:30 p.m. the first Tuesday in December. Churches, clubs, schools, businesses and civic organizations are urged to enter a float or walking unit in the parade. The parade will stage on Starkville Road and floats and trailers are urged to come off of Woodland Circle to […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Okolona Christmas Parade will be held Monday, Dec. 1 in downtown Okololona and local churches, civic clubs, walking units and businesses are urged to get involved. The parade will start at 6:30 p.m. with parade staging in front of the Okolona Elementary School starting at 5:30. The parade will end with a float celebrating […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered Nov. 19 for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from […]
This is the time of year when people shop and this is also the time of year when community-oriented newspapers urge you to shop at home. We all know the reason for shopping at home when you spend money locally it strengthens the local economy. But do you really know the numbers? For every $100 […]
HOUSTON – Repairs to the Davis Lake Bridge is the top work project for Chickasaw County this fall but the bids for the work have come in over budget. Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids last week at their meeting at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston but the low bid of $357,962.88 was $82,362.88 over […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s unemployment rate fell slightly in October to 7.6 percent, according to figures released Friday by the U.S. Labor Department. The rate was down from 7.7 percent in September and from 7.9 percent in August. Mississippi had an 8.2 jobless rate in October 2013. The survey found that the number of Mississippians […]
HOUSTON – A report on the latest legal concerns to get the vo-tech roof fixed was presented to trustees Monday night with the board taking no action on the issue. Trustees were presented the report by Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker, who said the packet included a summary of the situation and a letter or […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from it to […]
Daily Journal OXFORD – The Calhoun City National Guard was debriefed in Oxford on Sunday morning and was given information on their benefits from veterans’ hospitals to the G.I. Bill. Joey Jones, an E8 First Sergeant in the group, said the group of just over 150 left for Afghanistan last October, and returned stateside in […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story and totals are updated with more than 200 absentee and affidavit ballots cast in Chickasaw County in the Nov. 4, 2014 General Election. HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last week and a three-man Houston […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last night and a three-man Houston School Board race will see the top two vote-getters in a run off. Democratic Senatorial candidate Travis Childers, of Booneville, garnered 52.40 percent of the vote with 2,140 […]
It’s the latest trend sweeping the country and it has come to Houston in the form of The Rusty Pig. They are not a true food truck, but more of a smile and fine Southern barbecue sold from a smoker and trailer that they park on The Square in downtown Houston Friday, Saturday and soon […]
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: James Meredith January 31, 2015
- Open posts in Chickasaw, Monroe draw crowd of candidates January 31, 2015
- AG arrests two for false filings January 31, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago