By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Extending a law providing furniture manufacturers a $2,000 tax credit for each new cut-and-sew job appears to be popular even though most legislators say they know little about how successful the program has been. “I have had some industry people say they were appreciative of us […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – A bill that proposes consolidation of the Houston, Chickasaw County and Okolona school districts has reached the House Education Committee in the Legislature. The bill would combine nine schools – Houlka Attendance Center, Houston High School, Houston Lower Elementary, Houston Upper Elementary, Houston Middle School, Houston Vocational […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Police, community and media working together can stop crime. Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi celebrated its 10th Anniversary Wednesday and honored law officers, media and the members of the community at its annual awards banquet. And Chickasaw County was honored with multiple awards. “We’ve been doing this […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE — High school juniors in Chickasaw County considering medical careers in their home state have the opportunity to take part in an intense and revealing summer program at Mississippi State University. The five-week Rural Medical Scholars summer program at MSU aims to identify the state’s future […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – It’s an old scam with new victims. Attorney General Jim Hood wants to remind Mississippi consumers to remain cautious of tax-related phone scams. Meredith Aldridge, Director of the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division said, “These scammers continue to search for their next victim before, during and […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Recipients of Adult Learner Incentive scholarships at Itawamba Community College for the 2016 spring semester include several area students. They are: Aberdeen – Flora Hayes, Lucinda Randle; Amory – Donna Dodd, Maggie Justice, Deidre Thompson, Timothy Watson, Melissa Wilbanks; Pontotoc – Tiffany Bitner, Glenda Hall, Anna Harris, Sabrina McClain, […]
I’ve found as I get older that I am not wowed by great events and grand dreams that draw me so intensely. I’ve discovered it is the little things and smaller moments that catch my eye, intrigue me and make me think. Yes, I still have a couple of big ideas that I want to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They were the first school in Chickasaw County to implement rewards for high scores on state tests and they continue to lead the way. Houston Upper Elementary School scored well on the most recent battery of state accountability tests and Principal John Ellison is quick to lay […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board extended the superintendent’s contract for three year and approved his salary. Trustees approved a three-year contract agreement with Dexter Green to serve as Superintendent of Education in the Okolona Municipal Separate School District commencing on […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Even with an increase in the unemployment rate in December, the overall jobless rate for all of Northeast Mississippi in 2015 was 6.5 percent. That’s the lowest rate in the 10 years the Daily Journal has compiled the figures, with information provided by the Mississippi Department […]
If a community has jobs it can solve most of its problems. Northeast Mississippi’s unemployment statistics released this week offer an encouraging statement about the region’s economy, perhaps the strongest affirmation so far of a comeback after the Great Recession late in the first decade of the century. Northeast Mississippi had a 6.5 percent unemployment […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Mary C. Herrod, of Houston, was named to the fall 2015 dean’s list at Samford University. Samford releases dean’s lists after the close of the fall and spring semesters each academic year. To qualify for the dean’s list, a student must have earned a minimum 3.5 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Okolona Fire Chief Terry Tucker was elected President of the Mississippi Fire Chief’s Association at the 78th annual Mississippi Fire Chiefs’ and Mississippi Fire Fighters’ conference held in Tupelo, last spring. The conference was attended by about 250 Fire Chiefs and Firefighters from around the State of […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors were informed of the City of Okolona’s plans to seek federal funding for a massive storm shelter that will double as a civic center at this month’s meeting. Chickasaw County Emergency Management Director Linda Griffin was before the board on other business when […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago