HOUSTON – Positive re-enforcement and strong directions from teachers, aides and administrators have prompted positive results at Houston Upper Elementary School. Houston trustees heard a report from Houston Upper Elementary principal John Ellison Monday, Dec. 8, that the school for third-, fourth- and fifth-graders has cut it discipline referral rate in half and is working […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Putting someone in charge of administrative duties at the Houston Fire Department may prompt the city to name a fire chief for the Houston Fire Department. The Houston Volunteer Fire Department has a fire chief, but the six full-time city firefighters do not and in a work session last week the Houston Board […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing trustee Bart Munlin […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – United Furniture Industries was the winning bidder for the former Lane Furniture Industries plant in Verona, and hopes to be building furniture inside the plant by next spring. United offered $1.45 million for the 475,000-square-foot facility, along with 90 acres in the Tupelo Lee Industrial Park South. Doug […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal United Furniture Industries was the winning bidder for the former Lane Furniture Industries plant in Verona. United offered $1.45 million for the 475,000-square-foot facility. United Furniture Industries and McCormick Drive LLC had bid on the facility, which was a former office and warehouse for Lane. Earlier this year, Heritage Home […]
HOUSTON – A fight at the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility Sunday night involved about a half-dozen inmates and prompted the prison to go into lockdown and call in officers to settle inmates down. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight broke out about 10:30 p.m. and staff, deputies and police had the situation […]
HOUSTON – The amenities that bring people to any given town are many and developing an organized plan to capitalize on local assets needs to involve everyone. The Chickasaw Development Foundation recently held its first meeting with state and federal officials as it tries to get a grasp on developing downtown, marketing the Tanglefoot Trail […]
Oh, my goodness! What a great year for Okolona… Some really positive things took place in 2014. The furniture business is going strong, seven new or relocated businesses located on Main Street, the annual banquet and golf tournament were excellent, the Business Christmas Open House was a phenomenal success . . . the best ever, […]
HOUSTON – It wasn’t perfect – but it was very close. The Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility scored 99.75 percent and the Chickasaw County Jail scored 100 following an audit by the American Correctional Association. “Your regional facility scored 100 percent on the 45 core standards and got 95 of the 96 of the non-mandatory […]
HOUSTON – In an effort to streamline city government and improve efficiency, the Houston Board of Aldermen has centralized purchasing and named a purchase clerk for the city. City Clerk Margaret Futral has been named purchase clerk and has been charged with setting up a system where city departments submit purchase orders and needs and […]
University of Mississippi OXFORD – Mary Ann Mobley Collins, the first Mississippian to be crowned Miss America, an acclaimed actress and filmmaker, and a 1958 graduate of Ole Miss, has died. She was 75. A native of Brandon, Collins was the university’s first Carrier Scholar and later became the first woman voted into the Alumni […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Mississippi’s unemployment rate fell slightly in October to 7.6 percent, but local jobless rates were up according to figures released last week by the U.S. Labor Department. The regional unemployment rate was down from 7.7 percent in September and from 7.9 percent in August. Mississippi had an 8.2 jobless rate in October […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County supervisors have opened bids for legal services and construction inspections as part of a grant that will see five homes built or rehabilitated in the county over the next 12 months. Six bids for title searches, closings, legal services, asbestos inspection and construction inspection were taken by the board at their […]
Houston police were busy Wednesday afternoon conducting a series of rolling road blocks. “These were just random road blocks on Jackson Street and around town,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “We were checking driver’s licenses and vehicle safety regulations.” Voyles said the police were conducting these safety checks as part of a desire to […]
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: James Meredith January 31, 2015
- Open posts in Chickasaw, Monroe draw crowd of candidates January 31, 2015
- AG arrests two for false filings January 31, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago