By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – School may be out, but summer has Okolona School Board trustees tending to the details of education as the new school year approaches. The Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board met at the Okolona Vocational Center Wednesday, July 8 and heard approving comments from […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Chickasaw County School Board met Tuesday, July 7 and took action to replace classrooms lost in a fire at the school last July. There is still no definite date to begin tearing down the gutted shell of the destroyed building at Houlka Attendance […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Houlka town officials know where there’s an extra $20,000 or so available to the town. That money – visible but not totally accessible — is unpaid misdemeanor fines assessed by Houlka Municipal Court. For various reasons, collecting all the fines is virtually impossible, according […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Tighter financial management and the sale of a building have helped the town of Houlka recover from a $100,000 shortfall discovered late last year the town mayor and city clerk said last week. “We’re solvent now and the budget we’re now operating under is balanced,” […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The state has said it will pull all inmates from county jails in August leaving both a hole in the county’s budget and hole in the county’s work crews. Chickasaw County supervisors agreed to take a wait-and-see approach as Department of Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher said earlier […]
Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Airports in Houston and Okolona are part of a group of 35 airports across the state that will benefit from more than $10 million in federal Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grants awarded last week by the U.S. Department of Transportation. AIP grants awarded to Mississippi in recent weeks […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market continues to offer work as Chickasaw County posted its best and lowest unemployment numbers in nine years last month. The expansion of factories around the area and the seasonal hiring of workers for agriculture has prompted local unemployment numbers to drop this […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Officials at First National Bank of Pontotoc announced this week that effective June 30 the bank will be changing its name to First Choice Bank. First National Bank President and CEO Buddy Montgomery explained that the name change is necessary because of a bank initiated change in the […]
By Mark Sherman Associated Press WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court declared Friday that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States. Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court’s 5-4 ruling means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Attorney General Jim Hood concluded his 2014-15 National Association of Attorneys General presidential term by acknowledging the work done on his year-long initiative, “Protecting Our Digital Lives: New Challenges for Attorneys General.” Attorney General Hood delivered his final remarks Thursday night during the NAAG Summer Meeting in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The line for expenses is going up and the line for revenue is headed down and they will cross in September. The Houston Board of Aldermen are looking at a projected $251,536 shortfall in September and met recently to consider where to cut and discussed raising water rates […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – She is no stranger to pageants, but Molly May is quick to say this is the big one. May is one of 30 young women from across the Magnolia State who have traveled to Vicksburg this week with their eye on the title of Miss Mississippi and the […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Motions made Monday by District 5 Supervisor Robert Tomey and seconded by District 4 Supervisor Fulton Ware sealed the deal to bring 100 new jobs to the region. The Monroe County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Monday on a purchase agreement and an immediate possession contract with […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – There are dollars to be made on the Internet but only if your business has the right connection, right approach and right access. Thrive Marketing hosted a digital marketing workshop for area businesses June 9 at the Houston Civic Center with Ashley Elkins, of Thrive Marketing, […]
- Okolona notches academic benchmarks October 2, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag October 7, 2015
- Houston ranked 3rd in State 4A October 7, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago