By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Senate leadership is proposing a $40 million increase in the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basics to operate local school districts. The Legislature is in the process of passing the first round of more than 100 budget bills as it […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A vehicle to develop and pay for a plan to address the state’s and local governments’ infrastructure needs is alive in the legislative process. But at this point all that vehicle – or bill – does is keep all the code sections alive, including all taxing […]
Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Former Tupelo mayor and Tennessee Valley Authority Mississippi Chairman Glen McCullough – now the executive director of the Mississippi Development Authority – is the keynote speaker at today’s sixth annual Manufacturing Summit. McCullough will speak about his vision for the future of MDA and give a current update on the agency. […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Senate Transportation Committee is scheduled to vote this morning on a proposal that would increase the tax on motor fuel about 12 cents per gallon (at today’s prices) to fund road and bridge repairs throughout the state. Senate Transportation Chairman Willie Simmons, D-Cleveland, presented […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It started in court and will end up in court again, but in the mean time it makes for interesting video. A Houlka policeman has been charged with simple assault and a Houlka woman has been charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest following an incident outside Houlka […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation honored those who accomplished much last year and then looked forward to what the community can become. The CDF held its annual banquet and business meeting where it recognized its leaders and those businesses, organizations and civic groups who have helped improve […]
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Tuesday’s primary has most people talking presidential politics, but voters in North Mississippi also have the opportunity to cast a ballot for the state’s 1st Congressional District. Republican incumbent Trent Kelly faces challenger Paul Clever, a political newcomer, for the Congressional seat. The winner of the Republican primary […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mississippi’s 2016 legislative session may be halfway over, but debate has yet to really begin on three of the biggest issues. Although some officials have staked out positions on raising more money for roads and bridges, rewriting the state’s K-12 funding formula or cutting taxes, no real proposals […]
HOUSTON – The annual meeting and banquet of the Chickasaw Development Foundation has been scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday, March 3 at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church. Sean Johnson, Director of Tourism, for the City of New Albany, will be the keynote speaker for the evening. He will be presenting interesting fact, figures […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, unsuccessfully offered a proposal to require each of the 82 counties in the state to have a single school district. Jolly offered his amendment as a way to voice objections to a Senate bill that merges the Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – An early morning fire burned up a car inside a local garage, firefighters put it out and then the vehicle rekindled and burned down the building. The Okolona Fire Department was called to Jacob’s Garage, 653 North Church Street, at about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday and found a […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – Unprecedented growth has forced United Furniture Industries to expand its presence at the Tupelo Furniture Market. The company hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Building VI of the market Thursday to mark the official opening of another 6,000-square-foot space. United now has nearly 23,000-square feet at the market, enough […]
News that Houlka has landed a furniture is good news. Officials from upholstered furniture manufacture Delta Furniture announced Wednesday, Feb. 10, they were expanding operations in Houlka that will top out at 100 jobs and help the Pontotoc-based company boost its employment by almost a third. “The first industrial announcement the state made in […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to provide state funds to allow students to attend private schools died an unexpected death Tuesday. House Appropriations Chair Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville, opted not to consider the double-referred bill in his committee Tuesday – the deadline for bills to pass out of committee in their […]
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago