By Josh Hill Special to Chickasaw Journal The Houston Hilltoppers seemed to have hit their stride with a back-and-forth style that has allowed them to advance to the Mississippi High School Activities Assocation North Half semifinals this week. The Hilltoppers proved they could get the job done over Itawamba AHS in a two-out-three contest […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston School Board met last week to narrow the list of potential candidates for the next district superintendent and hired Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to […]
Voters went to the polls yesterday to choose a Congressman and they will head to the polls in just a few short months to select their county leaders for the next four years. With all the problems we have in America, this newspaper and this community realizes the man we send to Washington […]
By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal TUPELO – Two candidates – a Democrat and a Republican – are advancing to a June 2 runoff election in the race for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat. Howard Zinn and Trent Kelly were the two front runners in Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat left vacated following the […]
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) awarded Calhoun County a solid waste assistance grant of $11,473 that will be used by the county for enforcement efforts regarding illegal dumping. “The Solid Waste Assistance Grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties,” said Gary Rikard, MDEQ Executive Director. “This […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Trustees hired Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to hire Cook to replace longtime Houston superintendent Dr. Steve Coker whose contract was not renewed by the board […]
Air Force Airman Dariyelle N. Ricks graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. The airman completed an intensive, eight-week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, physical fitness, and basic warfare principles and skills. Airmen who complete basic training earn four credits toward […]
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has accepted two new members and seven renewal memberships into its enHance program for the 2015 class. Two other members, including Ark-Ell Springs of Houlka, upgraded their membership status. The recognition was part of the annual workshop and awards luncheon held in Jackson. enHance is a voluntary stewardship […]
CALHOUN CITY – Less than a week after a Calhoun City man was murdered, a Derma man has been sentenced to life in prison. The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office arrested Randy Anderson, 46, Saturday evening for the Friday April 23, death of William Duff, 42. Anderson was arraigned Monday on the charge of first degree […]
Absentee voting to fill the post for Mississippi’s 1st District congressman will be available at county circuit clerk’s offices from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 9. In Chickasaw County, the voting will be available at the Chickasaw County Courthouse at the circuit clerk’s office on the west side of the building. The deadline for […]
HOUSTON – Warmer weather, spring fashions, construction and agriculture related sales usually spark an upturn in sales tax rebates to local municipalities, but the most recent numbers are mixed across Chickasaw County. Houston and Houlka have reported an apparent uptick in sales for March, but Okolona, Vardaman and Woodland saw their numbers drop the last […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The expansion of a local furniture company and the seasonal hiring of workers for agriculture has prompted local unemployment numbers to drop this spring. Chickasaw County saw the unemployment rate plummet from 10.2 percent in February to 8.1 percent in March. Statewide the jobless rate dropped from 7 percent to 6.2. Local […]
HOUSTON – Creating a budget is one of the four duties of a school board member and Houston trustees took their first look last week at how this year’s budget is winding up and revenue projections for next year. Superintendent Steve Coker offered to help trustees hammer out a budget at a special called meeting […]
WEST POINT – Two men have been indicted by a Clay County grand jury on aggravated assault charges related to an alleged beating that left a man in a coma after he was found in a West Point parking lot in August. Assistant District Attorney Lindsay Clemons says in a news release that no trial […]
- Florida largemouth bass stocked into Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway lakes June 24, 2015
- First National Bank changes name to First Choice Bank June 27, 2015
- TERRI TURNER: 2015 Woman Of The Year June 28, 2015
- JAMES MEYERS: 2015 Man Of The Year June 28, 2015
- TWO TOOTS: 2015 Business Of The Year June 28, 2015
- Houston, Okolona airport improvements funded July 1, 2015
- Local talent attends ICC camp June 30, 2015
- United Way seeks support for backpacks June 30, 2015
- GED offered at WIN, Excel June 29, 2015
- Chickasaw jobless rate plummets June 29, 2015
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago