By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, unsuccessfully offered a proposal to require each of the 82 counties in the state to have a single school district. Jolly offered his amendment as a way to voice objections to a Senate bill that merges the Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – An early morning fire burned up a car inside a local garage, firefighters put it out and then the vehicle rekindled and burned down the building. The Okolona Fire Department was called to Jacob’s Garage, 653 North Church Street, at about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday and found a […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – Unprecedented growth has forced United Furniture Industries to expand its presence at the Tupelo Furniture Market. The company hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Building VI of the market Thursday to mark the official opening of another 6,000-square-foot space. United now has nearly 23,000-square feet at the market, enough […]
News that Houlka has landed a furniture is good news. Officials from upholstered furniture manufacture Delta Furniture announced Wednesday, Feb. 10, they were expanding operations in Houlka that will top out at 100 jobs and help the Pontotoc-based company boost its employment by almost a third. “The first industrial announcement the state made in […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to provide state funds to allow students to attend private schools died an unexpected death Tuesday. House Appropriations Chair Herb Frierson, R-Poplarville, opted not to consider the double-referred bill in his committee Tuesday – the deadline for bills to pass out of committee in their […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Educators from Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County met with legislators Thursday to try to halt proposals designed to merge the three school districts. Hours before the education officials were meeting with House members, the Senate Education Committee was passing legislation to consolidate the three districts. Senate […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Furniture manufacturing is Chickasaw County’s forte, so bringing 100 jobs to Houlka is a good fit. Officials from upholstered furniture manufacture Delta Furniture announced Wednesday, Feb. 10, they were expanding operations in Houlka that will top out at 100 jobs and help the Pontotoc-based company boost […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Charter schools could open anywhere in the state under legislation that passed the House Education Committee on Wednesday. Under the current charter school law, which was enacted in the 2013 session, charter schools are limited to D and F school districts without the approval of the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – An early morning fire burned up a car inside a local garage, firefighters put it out and then the vehicle rekindled and burned down the building. The Okolona Fire Department was called to Jacob’s Garage, 653 North Church Street, at about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday and found a vehicle […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Parents will be eligible for up to $5,000 per year in state funds to send their children to private schools under legislation pending in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature. The legislation could be taken up as early as today in either the House or Senate […]
JACKSON (AP) – A Mississippi House committee is advancing plans to boost expense pay for many state and local officials attending meetings to $150 daily from the current $40. The House Ways and Means Committee approved House Bill 1421 Tuesday. Chairman Jeff Smith, a Columbus Republican, says the change is overdue because the level has […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Extending a law providing furniture manufacturers a $2,000 tax credit for each new cut-and-sew job appears to be popular even though most legislators say they know little about how successful the program has been. “I have had some industry people say they were appreciative of us […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – A bill that proposes consolidation of the Houston, Chickasaw County and Okolona school districts has reached the House Education Committee in the Legislature. The bill would combine nine schools – Houlka Attendance Center, Houston High School, Houston Lower Elementary, Houston Upper Elementary, Houston Middle School, Houston Vocational […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Police, community and media working together can stop crime. Crime Stoppers of Northeast Mississippi celebrated its 10th Anniversary Wednesday and honored law officers, media and the members of the community at its annual awards banquet. And Chickasaw County was honored with multiple awards. “We’ve been doing this […]
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago