By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal When Mississippi adopted the Common Core State Standards four years ago, there was little fanfare. The new guidelines for English and math instruction were not a political talking point during the summer of 2010. Nationally, there was much more discussion about the BP oil spill, the new health care law […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – There are always people in need and that means Chickasaw County needs United Way now more than ever. United Way provided $102,000 of assistance to 32 agencies serving people from Chickasaw County last year and this year 30 agencies have requested roughly $106,000. Mike Mitchell, United Way Campaign Associate, said it is no […]
JACKSON (AP) – A federal judge has denied Google Inc.’s motion to block enforcement of a subpoena issued by Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood that seeks information from Google about parts of its operations, including information about advertising for imported prescription drugs. Federal court records also show U.S. District Judge Henry T. Wingate put Google’s […]
Wesley Walls, the Pontotoc standout who played at Ole Miss and rose to prominence in a 13-year NFL career, was inducted Tuesday night into the National Football Foundation’s College Hall of Fame. The 57th NFF Annual Awards Dinner was held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. “I’m truly honored and humbled,” Walls said […]
I’ve been around the newspaper business for about 44 of my 54 years, having started out in this profession throwing papers at the tender age of ten in West Point. Delivering newspapers every afternoon five days a week and then trying to collect for your services on weekends will teach you a lot about business […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School board voted unanimously not to renew the contract of long-time Houston School District Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker at a special called meeting Tuesday night, Dec. 16. On a motion by Trustee Carol Byrne and a second by Trustee Marvin Beard the board voted 5-0 with Board President Daniel Herringa, outgoing […]
This Christmas, as you hustle and bustle about the house and community, we want you to reflect on a news event that happened over 2,000 years ago. There is a phrase on the front of this newspaper that states “A locally owned newspaper dedicated to the service of God and mankind.” We take those words […]
JACKSON – American Pickers is coming to Mississippi and Louisiana in January, looking for interesting characters with lots of interesting items to sell. American Pickers is a documentary series about the world of antique ‘picking’ on the History Channel. The show follows two of the most skilled pickers in the business, Mike Wolfe and Frank […]
JACKSON (AP) – The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for central and south Mississippi until 6 p.m. Severe thunderstorm watches were also issued during the day as the severe weather moved through the state. Golf ball-sized hail fell in Enterprise, along with some pea-sized hail in the Bude area. There were also […]
HOUSTON – Franklin Corp. has announced the retirement of long-time employee John Lee Lyles as Vice President of Manufacturing. Hassell Franklin, Chairman and CEO of Franklin Corp., announced Lyles retirement Friday and said Kevin Faulkner has been chosen to fill the post and the changes will be effective at the end of this year. Lyles […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Volunteer Fire Department held their annual banquet and awards ceremony Thursday, with one of their veteran members taking top honors. Robert Goza was presented the 2014 Roy Gray Firefighter of the Year award. “I’ve been doing this officially for 51 years,” said Goza. “I’ve been responding to fire calls in this […]
Daily Journal A Union County woman has been arrested for allegedly attempting to make money from a tragic situation, announced Attorney General Jim Hood today. Janet Posey, 39, of Blue Springs, was arrested last night at her home in Union County by investigators with the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division with assistance from the Union […]
HOUSTON – Positive re-enforcement and strong directions from teachers, aides and administrators have prompted positive results at Houston Upper Elementary School. Houston trustees heard a report from Houston Upper Elementary principal John Ellison Monday, Dec. 8, that the school for third-, fourth- and fifth-graders has cut it discipline referral rate in half and is working […]
HOUSTON – Putting someone in charge of administrative duties at the Houston Fire Department may prompt the city to name a fire chief for the Houston Fire Department. The Houston Volunteer Fire Department has a fire chief, but the six full-time city firefighters do not and in a work session last week the Houston Board […]
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation January 28, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago