Okolona is accustomed to seeing it’s downtown change over the years. The city was burned – twice – during the Civil War. It’s stately three-story Masonic Lodge was constructed after a massive fire in the 1900s that destroyed the center of town. It suffered an exodus of businesses and stores during the 1970s and 80s [...]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
by The Associated Press HOUSTON — A bridge on Mississippi Highway 15 in Chickasaw County will be named for the late state Rep. Billy Bowles under a bill signed by Gov. Phil Bryant this past week. House Bill 517 would designate the bridge within the city of Houston, Miss., at its intersection with Mississippi Highway [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Itawamba Community College’s chapters of Phi Theta Kappa have inducted members for 2012-13. They include: Houlka – Jensyn E. Havens, Stephen C. Higgins, Arktavius Moore, Rebecca L. Parker and Cody A. Turman Houston – Hillary M. Colbert, James N. Hood, Amber A. McFarland, Zachary M. Wilkinson, Charles T. Young, Valerie [...]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – With just two weeks go before municipal elections in Houston and Okolona, candidates for city offices are busy soliciting votes. Voters in both municipalities will cast a ballot for mayor and city marshal and for the alderman or city councilman for the ward where they live. Houston has an at-large-alderman and all [...]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Paychecks for aldermen in Chickasaw County’s four municipalities vary based on population and tax base. Okolona pays its mayor and city marshal the best, but aldermen are paid less than cities of similar size. Okolona’s mayor is paid $32,000 a year or $2,666.67 a month. The city [...]
County Health Departments offer free Immunizations this week In recognition of National Infant Immunization Week (NIIW), the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is offering free routine immunizations for infants and children through 18 years of age at all county health departments the week of April 22-26. MSDH, along with the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices, [...]
HOUSTON – On your mark, get set, help your friends and neighbors. The semi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K will be held Saturday in conjunction with the Spring Flywheel Festival and offers exercise enthusiasts an opportunity to compete for a good cause. The event is sponsored by Team Hope Houston to raise money to assist those affected [...]
HOUSTON – A dream that began more than 30 years ago opens its doors to Chickasaw County Saturday. The Chickasaw County Genealogical and Historical Society hosted a two-hour preview of the Chickasaw Museum in Joe Brigance Park last week, in preparation for the crowds they expect at Saturday’s Flywheel Festival. “We really are proud of [...]
By Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Various sources have confirmed that the Legislature will take up incentives in Friday’s special session to lure a major foreign tire manufacturing plant to Clay County. But officials say information on the size of the incentive package will not be made available to the public until just [...]
Houston’s Flywheel Festival unfolds Friday and Saturday with lots of food, fun and quality entertainment. The 32nd annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Spring Festival will be held April 26-27 in Joe Brigance Park and kicks off with a boom at the anvil shoot at 11 a.m. “We started doing the anvil shoot not long after the [...]
It may be the finest product the Chickasaw Journal publishes, it certainly is the most polished. “Come Home to Chickasaw County,” a magazine produced by your hometown newspaper, can be found inside this week’s edition of the Chickasaw Journal. The cover shows a few of those things we cherish so much in this community – [...]
HOUSTON – The dates for Houston Homecoming has been set and only the details remain to be determined for the community’s annual July 4th celebration on The Square downtown. July 4 falls on a Thursday this year and the Houston Homecoming committee had pondered hosting the annual event after Independence Day. “We’ve always held it [...]
HOUSTON – The local numbers are staggering and the wounds inflicted by violent crime in this community can take years to heal. SURVIVAL, Inc. is currently working with more than 30 people in Chickasaw County who have been the victim of violent crime. The organization is working with hundreds of people in a six-county area. [...]
HOUSTON – Farming is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country and 80 percent of all accidents occur in the home. With those two facts in mind, the Chickasaw County Extension Service hosted the 11th Annual Ag Safety Day last week at the Chickasaw County Coliseum with fifth graders from all county schools [...]
- Fallen officers remembered, living officers honored May 17, 2013
- Andrews Shields May 20, 2013
- Okolona officer on trial in Houston courthouse May 20, 2013
- Okolona assistant chief found guilty on three counts May 21, 2013
- Faye Jenkins May 21, 2013
- Lesson for life May 23, 2013
- FLOYD INGRAM: A big day for a man with big plans May 23, 2013
- Robertson guilty on three of four charges May 23, 2013
- David Forrester May 23, 2013
- Supervisors looking at security measures for both courthouses May 23, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...
Northeast Mississippi's news source
Tweeting since April 20, 2009
- Frazier leads Mississippi State past Texas A&M 6-4 http://t.co/QtA2sudwDC 2 hours ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys http://t.co/K9kMXwmuAn 11 mins ago
- Sisters find the funny in ‘Nunsense’ http://t.co/ggvFPbNN4C 17 mins ago
- Follow @bradlocke for MSU baseball updates. 26 mins ago
- Ole Miss falls to Alabama in 10 innings http://t.co/2m3Qo3VPBq 9 hours ago