By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Education and State Board of Education are seeking public feedback on the first state policy regarding physically restraining or placing public school students in seclusion as a result of behavioral issues. The proposed policy was released Thursday and the board voted to allow […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Legislation to renew a state tax credit that supports the preservation of historic buildings has passed the Mississippi House and Senate though a leading preservation organization has concerns about changes to the program introduced by the Senate bill. The tax credit program has reached its funding limit of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services(CMS) has published the Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities Quality Reporting (IPFQR) for Fiscal Year 2016 Measure Results Review with a Houston facility named. CMS recently recognized the top 20 Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Performers in quality measure reporting, as well as the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal A prescribed burn is scheduled for Wednesday along the Natchez Trace Parkway. The controlled fire will be at the Hernando de Soto site in Chickasaw County, between mileposts 243.2 and 245.9. The Hernando de Soto interpretive pulloff and parking area will remain open during the burn. This prescribed burn will […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to make all superintendents in the state appointed, long advocated by various groups, appears to be on the verge of becoming a reality. On Friday, the House Education Committee passed without any debate a Senate bill that would replace the state’s elected superintendents. If the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi is under a freeze warning as freezing temperatures and frost are expected to hit the area late tonight and early Monday morning. The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning Sunday for the region saying temperatures are expected to drop to 30 to […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal DERMA – When Wal-Mart Stores Inc. opened its 12,000-square-foot Walmart Express store here 13 months ago, the local newspaper had a photo of a company representative giving a $500 check to the Derma Fire Department. “The next time Wal-Mart was in the paper, they were announcing they were closing,” said […]
Dear Editor, Shop Local. Local Service. 20-plus years in a local business. Know the importance of shopping local. I won’t call names of businesses. I come to you as a former business man. With over 20 years of local customer service, I pride myself on reaching for customer satisfaction. From this experience I know how […]
Daily Journal A prescribed burn is scheduled along the Natchez Trace Parkway in Chickasaw County this weekend. The fire will be at Hernando de Soto today and Saturday, between mile markers 243.2 and 245.9. The burn will help reduce hazardous fuel loadings and restore open woodlands that were historically present. There are no closures anticipated […]
Associated Press JACKSON – A Mississippi Senate committee passed a bill this week that would allow guns in churches. Places of worship would be allowed to designate people with concealed carry permits as security personnel under House Bill 786. The bill also would make “reasonably” acting within that capacity a legal defense against criminal charges […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Junior Molly K. May, center, was crowned Miss Maroon & White for 2016 during a Thursday, March 10 campus program at Mississippi State. May is a communication/public relations major from Houston and a graduate of Houston High School. She is the daughter of Debra May and Glen Bingham Also selected […]
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” First Amendment to the United States Constitution. It is the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voter turnout for the Chickasaw County Presidential Primary election last week was modest, but nothing to write home about. The county saw 3,888 votes cast in the Tuesday, March 8 primary election with voters picking Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald J. Trump for president and Trent Kelly […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Senate leadership kept alive Wednesday afternoon legislation that could be used as a vehicle to increase taxes to address state and local infrastructure needs. The bill, referred to as a “dummy bill” during more than three hours of debate, does not actually make any changes […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago