HOUSTON – It is the worst news that could run through a community and emergency personnel from across the county will train for it Thursday. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency will host a live drill Thursday morning where a person with a gun has gotten inside the Houston School of Science and Technology, taken […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
This is normally the time of year this newspaper is bringing you headlines, stories and photos of the Houston Solar Car coming back from some part of this great country with another National Solar Challenge Trophy. But this year the Houston Solar Car will be traveling to Australia to compete in the World Solar Car […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An exhaustive recount today has seen a proposed tourism tax go from a one-vote lead on Tuesday night to a two-vote loss Wednesday afternoon. Complete but unapproved totals show 335 ballots cast for the 1-percent tax to 229 voting against. A total of 564 votes were tallied and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Initial election results Tuesday night indicate a hotly contested tourism tax vote has passed by one vote. Houston’s proposed tourism tax referendum saw 339 ballots for the 1-percent tax and 225 against it in an election that was fiercely contested by restaurants in the city this summer. The […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka School District is now cleaning the site of a fire that destroyed part of Houlka Attendance Center – the district’s only school — in July, 2014, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Although the fire-gutted remnants of the building are being knocked […]
This column is being written on Monday prior to Tuesday’s county and state elections. I hope the best candidates win. But after more than 25 years of covering elections, I’ve found it is rarely the best or worst who get elected – it’s the same ones year after year. That changed this year in Chickasaw […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation tourism committee got a look at the design for the gateway to the Tanglefoot Trail last week as a tax to fund the development looms on Tuesday. CDF has worked with state and federal agencies since the Tanglefoot Trail was built almost three […]
Voter turnout Tuesday in Chickasaw County was modest for a county election. Roughly 46 percent went to the poll and cast a ballot. We are proud for that. But we do want to look around and try to find a reason why the majority of this community and county didn’t take the 10-minutes necessary to […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: Click the “View Today’s Election Results” box at the top of this page to get complete Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi and statewide election results. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Chuquatonchee Creek divides the county physically and Tuesday night election results show it divides it politically. Forty-seven percent of […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voters head to the poll next week to pick their county and state leaders with 53 local candidates vying for 13 posts. The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close 12-hours later at 7 p.m. with voters needing to bring voting identification. Race results will be posted […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Chickasaw County will keep a select group of state inmates to round out a county work crew but will no longer have a labor pool of up to 60 men to pull from. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors voted Monday to house state inmates in the […]
This is the final week of county elections and we hope people have already studied the candidates, made their decision and can wisely and confidently walk into the voting booth and make the right choice. Chickasaw County will be a very different place under the leadership of these newly elected officials in just four short […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The shovels were brought out and dirt was turned on a plant expansion at Quality Iron in the Houston Industrial Park last week. City and county officials along with Quality Iron leaders and Three River Planning and Development District representatives gathered at the site on Franklin Drive to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON —Suspicious campaign mailers sent a week before the election drew the attention of Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann and the State Attorney General’s Office. “Sending campaign hit pieces a week before the election without disclosing who is sending the mailer is not only gutless, it’s illegal,” […]
- State, federal duck stamps available online October 7, 2015
- SONNY SCOTT: History as philosophy. Read it! October 10, 2015
- Yokohama dedicates $300M plant in West Point October 10, 2015
- Life Chain celebrates 15th year October 11, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Open minded thinking really isn’t October 11, 2015
- GED Prep seeks students October 13, 2015
- OUR OPINION: Houston Solar Car representing region from across the world October 13, 2015
- Know your foe October 13, 2015
- Bowens, Neal graduate Mississippi State October 12, 2015
- Houston peewee football suspended October 12, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago