David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Officials at First National Bank of Pontotoc announced this week that effective June 30 the bank will be changing its name to First Choice Bank. First National Bank President and CEO Buddy Montgomery explained that the name change is necessary because of a bank initiated change in the […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Mark Sherman Associated Press WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court declared Friday that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States. Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court’s 5-4 ruling means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Attorney General Jim Hood concluded his 2014-15 National Association of Attorneys General presidential term by acknowledging the work done on his year-long initiative, “Protecting Our Digital Lives: New Challenges for Attorneys General.” Attorney General Hood delivered his final remarks Thursday night during the NAAG Summer Meeting in […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The line for expenses is going up and the line for revenue is headed down and they will cross in September. The Houston Board of Aldermen are looking at a projected $251,536 shortfall in September and met recently to consider where to cut and discussed raising water rates […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – She is no stranger to pageants, but Molly May is quick to say this is the big one. May is one of 30 young women from across the Magnolia State who have traveled to Vicksburg this week with their eye on the title of Miss Mississippi and the […]
By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal ABERDEEN – Motions made Monday by District 5 Supervisor Robert Tomey and seconded by District 4 Supervisor Fulton Ware sealed the deal to bring 100 new jobs to the region. The Monroe County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Monday on a purchase agreement and an immediate possession contract with […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – There are dollars to be made on the Internet but only if your business has the right connection, right approach and right access. Thrive Marketing hosted a digital marketing workshop for area businesses June 9 at the Houston Civic Center with Ashley Elkins, of Thrive Marketing, […]
Registration is continuing for adult basic education/high school equivalency (ABE/GED) and ESL classes at several locations in Chickasaw County. • Houston WIN Center, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Julia Puckett; Houston WIN Center, Tuesday and Thursday, 5:30-8:30 p.m., Susan Eldridge. • EXCEL in Okolona, Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.-Noon, Larry Davis. • Chickasaw County Regional […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Aldermen will allocate all revenue from a proposed tourism tax to develop the Tanglefoot Trail if the measure is passed by voters in a special Aug. 11 referendum. The Houston Board of Aldermen voted in May to seek a 1 percent levy on restaurants sales and motel […]
HOUSTON – A passing motorist spotted something suspicious, called 911 and helped thwart an attempted burglary at Subway Wednesday night. Police responded to the call about 11:45 p.m. and when they pulled onto the property, spotted two people running from the scene and a car parked in the parking lot. “They were trying to break […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – They are used for everything from trimming city property and digging into drainage problem to picking up trash along county roads and general labor at community events. Changes to the Mississippi Department of Corrections policy of sending state inmates to county facilities have local supervisors and mayors […]
The U.S. Department of Interior and National Parks Services has named the Tanglefoot Trail as one of 10 in the nation to be designated as a National Recreation Trail. That’s a pretty high honor for our trail that opened in October 2012 and has yet to mark its third birthday. “By designating these exceptional trails […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A thieves attempting to rob a person making a night deposit at a downtown bank were foiled by alert policeman who then chased a suspect vehicle out of town Saturday night. Police Chief Billy Voyles said a woman was making a deposit for a business about […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – The numbers have been known for years: Kids who don’t finish high school and get some type of post secondary education find success and the good life difficult to attain. Speakers at the 20th Annual State of the Region meeting at the BancorpSouth Conference Center repeatedly […]
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago