By Ray Van Dusen Monroe Journal Like celebrity judge Jennifer Lopez predicted weeks ago, Amory musician Trent Harmon will join fellow Mississippian La’Porsha Renae Thursday for the “American Idol” series finale. Dallas musician Dalton Rapattoni was eliminated. In a night of three songs to determine who will be named the last “American Idol” Wednesday, Harmon […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The merger of the three school districts in Chickasaw County will be delayed for at least a year under legislation that is pending before the House. In the coming days, the House can send the proposal to Gov. Phil Bryant or invite a conference committee with […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Mississippi House amended legislation Tuesday by an overwhelming vote to enact a statewide lottery. To enhance their commitment to the lottery, the House actually amended two consecutive bills to enact the lottery. “For 33 years I have served in the Legislature. Every now and then, […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation that would allow students in C, D and F school systems to cross district lines to attend charter schools passed the House Monday. Earlier this session, in the House Education Committee, Rep. Charles Busby, R-Pascagoula, a key charter school proponent, said of the legislation, “it […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – A probable cause hearing to determine if a policeman should be charged with assault following the arrest of a woman outside Houlka City Hall March 3, has determined the officer can not be charged. Chickasaw County Circuit Court Judge John Gregory has reviewed evidence and video […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Eleven Northeast Mississippi superintendents are elected, but a bill on its way to Gov. Phil Bryant to be signed into law would change that. The bill, Senate Bill 2438, mandates that all school superintendents be appointed by their district’s school board. The majority of Mississippi school districts […]
JACKSON (AP) – Voters in some small Mississippi towns could choose to cut their municipal boards from five aldermen to three under a measure headed to Gov. Phil Bryant for him to sign or veto. The House voted 117-2 Monday to pass Senate Bill 2603, which would allow towns of 500 or fewer to choose […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – A Pontotoc man is in the Lee County Jail, accusing of owing $28,000 in child support payments. Joe Oscar Coptane, 35, of Pontotoc, was arrested Monday after a Lee County grand jury indicted him for two counts of failure to pay child support. An investigation by the […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Education and State Board of Education are seeking public feedback on the first state policy regarding physically restraining or placing public school students in seclusion as a result of behavioral issues. The proposed policy was released Thursday and the board voted to allow […]
By Caleb Bedillion Daily Journal TUPELO – Legislation to renew a state tax credit that supports the preservation of historic buildings has passed the Mississippi House and Senate though a leading preservation organization has concerns about changes to the program introduced by the Senate bill. The tax credit program has reached its funding limit of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services(CMS) has published the Inpatient Psychiatric Facilities Quality Reporting (IPFQR) for Fiscal Year 2016 Measure Results Review with a Houston facility named. CMS recently recognized the top 20 Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Performers in quality measure reporting, as well as the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal A prescribed burn is scheduled for Wednesday along the Natchez Trace Parkway. The controlled fire will be at the Hernando de Soto site in Chickasaw County, between mileposts 243.2 and 245.9. The Hernando de Soto interpretive pulloff and parking area will remain open during the burn. This prescribed burn will […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Legislation to make all superintendents in the state appointed, long advocated by various groups, appears to be on the verge of becoming a reality. On Friday, the House Education Committee passed without any debate a Senate bill that would replace the state’s elected superintendents. If the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi is under a freeze warning as freezing temperatures and frost are expected to hit the area late tonight and early Monday morning. The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning Sunday for the region saying temperatures are expected to drop to 30 to […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago