By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal TUPELO – Two candidates – a Democrat and a Republican – are advancing to a June 2 runoff election in the race for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat. Howard Zinn and Trent Kelly were the two front runners in Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat left vacated following the […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) awarded Calhoun County a solid waste assistance grant of $11,473 that will be used by the county for enforcement efforts regarding illegal dumping. “The Solid Waste Assistance Grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties,” said Gary Rikard, MDEQ Executive Director. “This […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Trustees hired Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to hire Cook to replace longtime Houston superintendent Dr. Steve Coker whose contract was not renewed by the board […]
Air Force Airman Dariyelle N. Ricks graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas. The airman completed an intensive, eight-week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, physical fitness, and basic warfare principles and skills. Airmen who complete basic training earn four credits toward […]
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has accepted two new members and seven renewal memberships into its enHance program for the 2015 class. Two other members, including Ark-Ell Springs of Houlka, upgraded their membership status. The recognition was part of the annual workshop and awards luncheon held in Jackson. enHance is a voluntary stewardship […]
CALHOUN CITY – Less than a week after a Calhoun City man was murdered, a Derma man has been sentenced to life in prison. The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office arrested Randy Anderson, 46, Saturday evening for the Friday April 23, death of William Duff, 42. Anderson was arraigned Monday on the charge of first degree […]
Absentee voting to fill the post for Mississippi’s 1st District congressman will be available at county circuit clerk’s offices from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 9. In Chickasaw County, the voting will be available at the Chickasaw County Courthouse at the circuit clerk’s office on the west side of the building. The deadline for […]
HOUSTON – Warmer weather, spring fashions, construction and agriculture related sales usually spark an upturn in sales tax rebates to local municipalities, but the most recent numbers are mixed across Chickasaw County. Houston and Houlka have reported an apparent uptick in sales for March, but Okolona, Vardaman and Woodland saw their numbers drop the last […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The expansion of a local furniture company and the seasonal hiring of workers for agriculture has prompted local unemployment numbers to drop this spring. Chickasaw County saw the unemployment rate plummet from 10.2 percent in February to 8.1 percent in March. Statewide the jobless rate dropped from 7 percent to 6.2. Local […]
HOUSTON – Creating a budget is one of the four duties of a school board member and Houston trustees took their first look last week at how this year’s budget is winding up and revenue projections for next year. Superintendent Steve Coker offered to help trustees hammer out a budget at a special called meeting […]
WEST POINT – Two men have been indicted by a Clay County grand jury on aggravated assault charges related to an alleged beating that left a man in a coma after he was found in a West Point parking lot in August. Assistant District Attorney Lindsay Clemons says in a news release that no trial […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – During election season they sprout up like wildflowers and the Mississippi Department of Transportation, Chickasaw County road crews and municipal officials are reminding candidates not to post sign on public right-of-ways. Federal, state, county and city right-of-way are public property, but the placing of any signage on government property without meeting proper […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Roughly 80 percent of the $136 million spent in communities near the Natchez Trace Parkway was done in Mississippi, a National Park Service report revealed. Last year, the NTP had 5,846,473 visitors. the National Park Service reported. In addition to the money spent along the 444-mile parkway, the […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation gave out a new award and honored an old friend at their annual awards banquet Thursday night. The Houston Solar Car team was handed CDF’s first Great Achievement Award for a 13-year history of winning and media patriarch Robin Mathis was honored with the Spirit of Chickasaw County Award […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Irreconcilable, irrational Differences May 23, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Summer is a time to grow May 23, 2015
- Spring squirrel season opens May 23, 2015
- Handgrabbing fishing season is open statewide until July 15 May 26, 2015
- State of the Region Meeting is Wednesday May 26, 2015
- Click It or Ticket! May 25, 2015
- Monday morning Memorial Day May 24, 2015
- Looking at the future May 24, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago