By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Chickasaw County will keep a select group of state inmates to round out a county work crew but will no longer have a labor pool of up to 60 men to pull from. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors voted Monday to house state inmates in the […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
This is the final week of county elections and we hope people have already studied the candidates, made their decision and can wisely and confidently walk into the voting booth and make the right choice. Chickasaw County will be a very different place under the leadership of these newly elected officials in just four short […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The shovels were brought out and dirt was turned on a plant expansion at Quality Iron in the Houston Industrial Park last week. City and county officials along with Quality Iron leaders and Three River Planning and Development District representatives gathered at the site on Franklin Drive to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON —Suspicious campaign mailers sent a week before the election drew the attention of Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann and the State Attorney General’s Office. “Sending campaign hit pieces a week before the election without disclosing who is sending the mailer is not only gutless, it’s illegal,” […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal ECRU — Governor Phil Bryant and officials from upholstered furniture manufacturer Fusion Furniture Inc. have announced the factory is expanding operations at its facility in Ecru. The project represents a corporate investment of $1.6 million and will create 100 jobs, bringing employment at the Ecru location to 430. For the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Jackson—A statewide comparison of absentee ballots cast thus far in the Primary Election shows several counties have a high number of absentee ballots requested. “High absentee ballots are always cause for concern with our Agency,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “Now that Mississippi has passed Voter ID, absentee […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – School may be out, but summer has Okolona School Board trustees tending to the details of education as the new school year approaches. The Okolona Municipal Separate School District School Board met at the Okolona Vocational Center Wednesday, July 8 and heard approving comments from […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Chickasaw County School Board met Tuesday, July 7 and took action to replace classrooms lost in a fire at the school last July. There is still no definite date to begin tearing down the gutted shell of the destroyed building at Houlka Attendance […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Houlka town officials know where there’s an extra $20,000 or so available to the town. That money – visible but not totally accessible — is unpaid misdemeanor fines assessed by Houlka Municipal Court. For various reasons, collecting all the fines is virtually impossible, according […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Tighter financial management and the sale of a building have helped the town of Houlka recover from a $100,000 shortfall discovered late last year the town mayor and city clerk said last week. “We’re solvent now and the budget we’re now operating under is balanced,” […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The state has said it will pull all inmates from county jails in August leaving both a hole in the county’s budget and hole in the county’s work crews. Chickasaw County supervisors agreed to take a wait-and-see approach as Department of Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher said earlier […]
Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Airports in Houston and Okolona are part of a group of 35 airports across the state that will benefit from more than $10 million in federal Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grants awarded last week by the U.S. Department of Transportation. AIP grants awarded to Mississippi in recent weeks […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market continues to offer work as Chickasaw County posted its best and lowest unemployment numbers in nine years last month. The expansion of factories around the area and the seasonal hiring of workers for agriculture has prompted local unemployment numbers to drop this […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress PONTOTOC – Officials at First National Bank of Pontotoc announced this week that effective June 30 the bank will be changing its name to First Choice Bank. First National Bank President and CEO Buddy Montgomery explained that the name change is necessary because of a bank initiated change in the […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago