By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Crowds packed Joe Brigance Park Friday and Saturday to listen to the music and watch the flywheels spin at the 34th Annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Festival and plans are being made for a banner event next year. The two-day event saw a steady crowd Saturday to eat funnel […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – The students at Okolona Elementary and High School were surprised when a huge delivery of school supplies ended up on their doorsteps as school started this year. Wal-Mart, (Mr. Jerry Bean, Okolona native, Mr. Fred Betts) Okolona native and Electric Department Employee, (Mr. Bennett Moore Jr.) Aarons Leasing, Amory, and […]
JACKSON – The Mississippi Attorney General’s Office arrested a Bruce man and charged him with possession of counterfeit goods with the intent to sell. Henry Davis, 49, was recently arrested following a joint investigation involving the Attorney General’s Office Consumer Protection Division and the Pontotoc Police Department. A tip from a concerned citizen led authorities […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Attorney’s have begun taking depositions from both sides involved in a lawsuit between the Houston school district and the contractor and architect responsible for re-roofing the Houston School of Science and Technology. Former school board trustees, contractors and those involved in the 2010 decision to […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Several area residents were among those who earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degrees or certificates at the conclusion of the 2015 summer semester at Itawamba Community College. They include Aberdeen – RyKieta S. Bell, A.A.; Alexus J. Calvert, A.A.; Jalisa S. Walker, […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Chickasaw County school trustees need a check from the insurance company to begin work on building their new school. Trustees heard an update on the rebuilding project from consultant Warren Bowen at their Sept. 1 meeting at the Chickasaw County Administration Building. […]
By Hank Wiesner HOULKA — Houlka Attendance Center is starting the fifth and final year of a federal grant that makes the school the site of a 21st Century Community Learning Center. “The 21st Century Community Learning Center is a valuable source of funding that provides tutorial services at many […]
HOUSTON – You can rake your leaves to the street but you have to put them in a bag once they get there. The Houston Board of Aldermen voted last week to enact an ordinance defining what types of brush, leaves and clippings it will pick up this fall in an effort […]
HOUSTON – The Pilot Club of Houston gathered at Bridges-Hall recently to reminisce about the past year in Pilot and to celebrate the new incoming year. Cara Chisolm officiated the ceremony to install the 2015-2016 Pilot officers with Terri Whitlock named President; Stacey Chapman, President Elect; Dorajean Sanderson, Vice President; Talitha […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market continues to offer work but Chickasaw County’s unemployment rates did creep up to 8.7 percent last month. Houston got news last month that Quality Iron was expanding and would soon add 40-50 fabrication jobs. United Furniture in Wren announced in July it was adding […]
PONTOTOC – Those on hand for the sweet potato field day Thursday, Aug. 27 at the MSU Extension station just south of Pontotoc learned about more than better ways to raise the tasty tubers. They also learned ways to trap one of the sweet potato farmer’s biggest pests – wild hogs. Steven […]
PONTOTOC — Sweet potato producers, researchers, industry representatives and crop consultants exchanged information on growing the little tubers and successfully navigating a oftentimes prickly thicket of federal farm labor laws during a field day Thursday Aug. 27. Among those attending was Jamie Earp, who runs a large sweet potato farm just outside […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The following children were chosen Student of the Week at Houston Upper Elementary School for Aug. 24 through Aug. 28, 2015. They are listed by teacher’s last name and student’s full name. Third Grade Brock Kinley Hallmark McFarland Kelayshia Carter […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal The Mississippi Highway Patrol will be out in force this Labor Day and is warning drivers who might be thinking of drinking to “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over.” Approximately one-third of all traffic crash fatalities in the U. S. involve drunk drivers with a blood […]
- Teachers to be allowed to paddle September 28, 2015
- DUKE DENTON: Hospitals owe patients a list of procedure costs September 27, 2015
- Huffman, Webb earn ICC scholarships September 30, 2015
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Let’s get on the Trail October 1, 2015
- AREA ROUNDUP: Adams scores three touchdowns in limited action October 3, 2015
- Tanglefoot Trail signs destroyed in Pontotoc County October 3, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Politicians parsing words October 3, 2015
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Fall fun in Topper Town October 2, 2015
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- Carolyn Goggans: In the pictures above ( the second from the bottom...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago