CHICKASAW COUNTY – Voters will head to the polls the first Tuesday in November to elect their Senator, Representative, judges and school board trustees. All ballots will have voting for federal posts of U.S. Senator and U.S. Representative, Mississippi Court of Appeals, Chancery Judge and Circuit Court Judge in addition to school board positions in […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKLAHOMA CITY – Sonic Drive-In, the nation’s largest chain of drive-in restaurants, presented the Troy Smith Hall of Fame Award to respected franchisee Buddy McClain, chief executive officer of MVP Sonics at the 2014 Sonic National Convention in New Orleans. Ronald McClain is a native of Houston, Miss., and has won numerous Sonic awards starting […]
The announcement last year that Chickasaw County is developing a 959-acre megasite industrial park is an incredible opportunity for all of us and all of Northeast Mississippi. The announcement of this economic development windfall at the Okolona Chamber Banquet brought smiles to all those gathered. With this part of North Mississippi sporting double-digit unemployment, the […]
HOUSTON — A three-vehicle accident caused a broke open a natural gas line on Highway 8 west of Houston Friday morning snarling traffic and hurting two people. The accident saw a natural gas regulator in the right-of-way sheared off at its base and natural gas spewing into the air. Emergency crews were dispatched about 7:45 a.m. […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – United Furniture Industries and McCormick Drive LLC have bid on a former Lane Furniture Industries facility. The companies have offered to buy Lane’s former office and warehouse facility in Verona, according to a bankruptcy filing by FBI Wind Down Inc. United Furniture has a large manufacturing plant in […]
By Errol Castens Daily Journal Three nonpartisan candidates will be on the Nov. 4 ballot for the one contested circuit judge post in Judicial District 3, which includes Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Lafayette, Marshall, Tippah and Union counties. Shirley C. Byers of Holly Springs, J. Kizer (Ki) Jones of Holly Springs and J. Kelly Luther of […]
By Emily Tubb Monroe Journal AMORY – Unofficial results from Tuesday’s alcohol referendum indicate that Amory voters want to keep the town alcohol-free. For the sale, distribution and possession of light wine with an alcohol content of less than 5 percent and beer of an alcoholic content of no more than 8 percent, the vote […]
VARDAMAN — A dry September put a damper on Mississippi sweet potato production, but the rain in early October may help the crop remaining in the field. Stephen Meyers, sweet potato specialist with the Mississippi State University Extension Service, said sweet potato fields received about an inch of rain Oct. 3. “We’re optimistic that this […]
HOUSTON – Getting your child ready for college is one thing, getting them in is something else. The Houston School of Science and Technology (HSST) is offering a chance for parents to learn ways to help their student be successful on the state subject area tests, the ACT and applying for college scholarships. “Many parents […]
VAN VLEET – When seconds count it is the little things that matter most. With air ambulances called on more and more in rural areas like Chickasaw County, getting the helicopter in and patients or accident victims on the way to the hospital is critical to a successful recovery. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency […]
Houston football coach William Cook introduces the Hilltopper football team during the Houston Tailgate Party on the Courthouse Square in Downtown Houston Thursday afternoon. The Hilltopper take on Koscuisko for homecoming at 7 p.m. Friday with the Homecoming Queen crowned at halftime. Photos of Thursday’s Tailgate Party can be found by clicking the BUY PHOTO […]
HOULKA – Last year’s Cornbread Festival took the community by surprise as the square in Houlka was packed with people out to enjoy the town’s first fall festival in years. And event organizers are hoping for a repeat of last year’s success Saturday. “Houlka really has a lot going for it and we really are […]
HOULKA – The revelation of a $100,000 budget shortfall has the Houlka Board of Aldermen taking drastic measures in an effort to balance city books. The shortfall has prompted aldermen to cut city employee’s pay and insurance and take bids to sell the former Bancorp South building that now serves as City Hall. Houlka City […]
The Mississippi State Department of Health confirmed a case of West Nile Virus in Calhoun County today. It is the third case of the mosquito-borne illness identified this year in Northeast Mississippi. In the state, there have been 43 cases confirmed and five deaths, including one in Lee County and one in Monroe County this […]
- Lady Hilltoppers stopped by Amory October 23, 2014
- Cooper gets tough with cancer October 27, 2014
- Thank you friends of education October 27, 2014
- Art in the Park October 27, 2014
- McClain earns Sonic’s Hall of Fame award October 28, 2014
- Wildcats fall to Biggersville October 30, 2014
- Houston eyes playoffs October 30, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Houston isn’t a bad place to live October 30, 2014
- Trustees, Senator, judges on ballot October 30, 2014
- MOLLY MAY NAMED ICC HOMECOMING QUEEN October 29, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago