Okolona police have arrested a man on robbery charges after he allegedly brandished a knife and robbed a convenience store in Okolona just after midnight Thursday. Okolona Assistant Police Chief Dwight Parker said authorities arrested Quentin Horton, 32, of Okolona, on charges of armed robbery and he is currently in the Chickasaw County Jail. Okolona […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – For the 14th year in a row the Houston Solar Car Team has gone to Texas and beaten every other high school solar car team in the nation. Sundancer, the name of the Houston solar vehicle, crossed the Solar Challenge finish line in Austin, Texas, on Thursday afternoon with an unofficial 120-mile lead […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal A little more than a week before schools reopen, retailers and shoppers are gearing up for the fifth annual back-to-school sales tax holiday. Mississippi’s sales tax holiday starts Friday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday at midnight. The sales tax break will help shoppers on clothing and shoes that are […]
HILL COUNTRY, Texas — Solar racing is what Houston, Mississippi does best! The Houston Solar Car team held an unofficial 160-mile lead in a race that today will only be 150 miles from Waco to Austin. “I am so proud of this team, this car, our instructors and sponsors,” said Kristen Black, Houston Solar Car […]
FORT WORTH – The Houston Solar Race team took the closed circuit portion of racing this week and now heads out on the road race to Austin. The Houston team had 285 laps and a top speed of 44.6 mph on the last day of racing on the Texas Motor Speedway. They were followed by […]
Visitors traveling along the 444-mile-long Natchez Trace Parkway continue to make a significant economic impact on the communities along the route. A National Park Service report released Friday shows 6 million visitors to the Natchez Trace Parkway in 2013 spent $138.9 million in communities near the park. The spending also supported more than 1,698 jobs […]
By JB Clark Daily Journal CEDAR BLUFF – Two Clay County farmers are changing the way people think about livestock farming and in the process, they hope, changing the state’s regulations for the way small farmers sell their meat. Ali Fratesi, 27, and Dustin Pinion, 28, raise chickens and pigs at Beaverdam Fresh Farms a […]
Today is Team Check Day with the car and crew required to attend a variety of meetings and race events. Teams will formally register this afternoon and a group meeting of all solar car racers and advisor/instructors will be held tonight in the ballroom of the Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel. Prior to that a meeting of all […]
An Okolona woman has been arrested and charged with identity theft. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office arrested Saprina Shantel Williams, 25, on Wednesday. Williams is accused of obtaining personal information of another subject and using that information to make several purchases on line. Bond has not been set, and she is currently being held at […]
MONROE, La. — The Houston Solar Car team made it safely to the Fort Worth Mariott Hotel, but not before they made a side-trip to Duck Dynasty Headquarters in Monroe, La. Monroe is about half-way between Houston and Fort Worth and the the perfect opportunity for a rest and photo opportunity. The trailer hauling the […]
HOUSTON — The ink is dry on a state grant that will see approximately $250,000 in improvements done to the Chickasaw County AgriCenter this summer. And while Mississippi Legislature and local lawmakers pushed the grant this spring and the revenue bill got the governor’s signature this summer, the work to bring it all together started […]
EUPORA – Children of America and Youth Fest held summer camp June 26-29 at Kamp Kumbaya in Eupora where the campers had a chance to enjoy many educational and fun activities. There were a total of 40 campers and 15 staff members. Campers participated in a reading contest, math contest, Spanish challenge, arts and crafts, […]
HOUSTON – In keeping with the Fourth of July holiday, members of the Houston Business Group (HBG) were treated to hot dogs, chips and drinks in a festive red, white and blue sidewalk setting at State Farm Insurance July 2. The Business Group held an informal discussion about what resources are available to merchants and […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County grand jury meets this week to consider evidence that could result in local residents being charged with a felony. Evidence will be presented by the District Attorney Ben Creekmore and local law enforcement to a pool of grand jurors specially chosen for the task of determining if an indictment should […]
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Let’s hear it for EARS! July 25, 2014
- It’s all about passion July 25, 2014
- United Way holds Back to School resource fairs July 25, 2014
- Dodge’s Store robbed in Okolona July 25, 2014
- Required Vaccinations July 29, 2014
- Reach, throw, row, go! July 29, 2014
- BRIAN LENTZ: MACJC format changes in 2015 July 28, 2014
- This story has a ring to it July 28, 2014
- Cherry/Dendy July 27, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago