HOUSTON – A three day event has Houston saying it wants signage, a park and a chance to link the Tanglefoot Trail to more places around town. The community gathered at the Civic Center in Joe Brigance Park Sunday, Feb. 15 to draw the community together and ponder the development of tourism in Houston. That […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
CHICKSASAW COUNTY – The candidates have announced their decision to run for public office and will now seek your decision as they run to fill 16 counties offices this election year. The final day to qualify for the Aug. 4 Party Primary ballot was Friday and candidates will now hit the streets seeking votes and […]
The deadline to qualify to run for a spot in county, regional and state government was Friday. The candidates have stepped up and filed the appropriate paperwork, paid their fees and tossed their hat in the ring. So who deserves your vote? There is a list of candidates on Page ??A of today’s paper. Please […]
HOUSTON – The family who will occupy the next Houston Habitat for Humanity home is out there, they just haven’t filed their application to be selected. An Habitat for Humanity home application workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 7 and low income families or those in substandard housing are […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal The days ahead bring the prospect of a yet another winter storm after a balmy break today. All Northeast Mississippi counties have been placed under a winter storm watch by the National Weather Service office in Memphis for Wednesday through early Thursday, with significant sleet and snow accumulations and as […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Deep pockets solve lots of problems and a group of Chicksasaw County volunteers did their best last week to make United Way dollars solve as many as possible. The United Way Chickasaw County Funds Distribution Committee finished up their allocation of 2015 dollars recently for agencies that will fund services to local […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mike Hurst, stepping down from his role as a federal prosecutor, is running as a Republican against Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood. The 39-year-old Madison resident qualified Friday to seek the Republican nomination, saying Mississippi’s attorney general should be more active in fighting public corruption and should do […]
HOUSTON – Renovations at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center are already being noticed and they aren’t finished yet. The Agri-Center held a ranch rodeo Feb. 7, and the 4-H Winter Classic Horse Show Feb. 14, with the parking lot full of horse trailers and the Agri-Center full of people. “There is all the difference between daylight […]
HOUSTON – There was chili and warm conversation on a cold Sunday afternoon, but it was pondering the future of Houston that brought people out. Billed as a “Community Blitz” Sunday’s event was backed up by two more days of seminars that saw community leaders and stakeholders discuss how they want to connect the Tanglefoot […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal More than 4,000 homes in Chickasaw County were without power at one point yesterday and roughly 2,000 were without electricity Thursday, after a massive winter storm dumped 8-inches of snow on Houston. “Those today are just in our service area and we probably have the same amount without […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Did you really think there would be school today? With Wednesday’s snowfall dropping over 8-inches on roads in Chickasaw County, Northeast Mississippi school districts, businesses and institutions have begun announcing closings for Thursday. The following school districts will be closed: * Calhoun County Schools * Calhoun Academy * Chickasaw […]
The Houston Band is having a catfish/chicken dinner fundraiser on March 6 and the community urged to by their tickets now. Seafood Junction will serve up hot plates for $12 each with the choice of chicken or fish. Both plates will include meat, fries, slaw and hush puppies. Pick up will be at Houston Middle […]
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
- Winter lingers in Chickasaw County February 27, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Ice, sleet accumulation expected tonight in region March 4, 2015
- Blue and Gray to portray local history March 6, 2015
- Okolona state tournament game moved to Monday March 6, 2015
- Houston names projects March 6, 2015
- Snow! And lots of it March 5, 2015
- On to Jackson March 5, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago