Monroe Journal Two people were arrested in an apparent online counterfeit scheme. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, with the assistance of the U.S. Federal Marshal Service, took into custody Dan Judd, 25, of Okolona, and Shontell Wilborn, 22, of West Point. Both suspects are charged with one count of false pretense each. The arrests were […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – Chickasaw County is glad to answer a call for help, but supervisors have asked the local ambulance service to make sure Chickasaw taxpayers are covered first. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors met with Sheriff deputies and 911 dispatchers last week to discuss ambulance service coverage for the community. “We got a call […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Aldermen is considering its first tax increase since 2006 as it eyes next year’s proposed budget. The city will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 2, at City Hall to explain a proposed 6.11-mill increase in its ad valorem levy on property in the city limits. While […]
OKOLONA – A $2 million school bond election appears to have passed 812-414, but there are approximately 500 absentee and affidavit to be counted Wednesday morning. Voters in Okolona went to the polls Tuesday to vote on a bond issues aimed at repairing roofs, fixing heating and air conditioning systems and improving athletic facilities. This […]
More than 50 volunteers and local emergency services employees fanned out over Houston Monday looking for Willie Harries who has been missing since Saturday. The search team gathered at Center Hill Missionary Baptist Church in North Houston again Monday afternoon and did an intense gridded search of the Second and Third Avenue neighborhood that Harries […]
OKOLONA – The Okolona School District saw students in cold classrooms last winter and is looking to improve buildings and athletic facilities in a $2 million bond issue to be decided by voters on Aug. 26. The Okolona Board of Trustees voted 3-2 recently to seek revenue bonds that will make repairs at facilities across […]
HOUSTON – Street department workers sent home on rainy days may get paid in the future. The Houston Board of Aldermen discussed how city street department workers are chosen to be sent home on rainy days and if they could still get paid. Ward 2 Alderman Shenia Jones made a motion to pay workers for […]
STARKVILLE – When Chickasaw County community leaders contacted Mississippi State University’s Carl Small Town Center, they wanted to discuss ways to connect the Tanglefoot Trail to downtown Houston and the Natchez Trace Parkway. The CSTC is the service and research arm of MSU’s College of Architecture, Art and Design, and the center works with officials, […]
HOUSTON – Your bosses are the Houston Board of Aldermen and everybody else in town, but there are a lot of people who still want the job. The City of Houston has received 39 resumes for the Houston City Clerk’s job and the board is seeking an Attorney General’s opinion to determine if a relative […]
HOUSTON – Driver’s licenses can now be obtained in Houston on the third Monday of each month. State, county and city officials formally opened a mobile office of the Mississippi Highway Patrol at the WIN Job Center in Houston last week and drivers can now get their licenses, permits and conduct test at the office […]
HOUSTON – The Tanglefoot Trail opened in October last year and while other communities along the trail have been quick to capitalize on the new tourism asset, Houston has not seen anything built to enhance the Trail. Joyce East, Executive Director of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Vice Chairman of the Tanglefoot Trail Board of […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
How does your town look? Too often we become accustomed to the grown-up lots and rundown property we see around town. We just pass it off as good ole Johnny Joe’s property that has looked like that for years. He’ll get around to cleaning it up one of these days. In Houston, one of those […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a […]
- Houston considers tax increase August 27, 2014
- THOMPSON: Paying at the pump August 30, 2014
- Jori Abi Boston August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- Manning case back before Miss. Supreme Court September 2, 2014
- Police find body of missing teenager September 2, 2014
- Alleged Craigslist counterfeit scammers from Okolona, West Point arrested September 2, 2014
- Houston’s Scott receives NSHSS honor September 2, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago