Special to the Chickasaw Journal. FULTON – Several area residents were among those who earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degrees or certificates at the conclusion of the 2015 spring semester at Itawamba Community College. Students are listed by hometown, name and degree and include: Algoma – Dakota A. Long, A.A.S.; […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
PRAIRIE — A Mississippi State University professor is the new executive director of the Beef Improvement Federation. Jane Parish, an Extension and research professor in the university’s North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, will lead the organization, which works to connect science and industry to improve beef cattle genetics. Parish, who is based at the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PONTOTOC — Sweet potato producers, researchers, industry representatives and crop consultants are invited to attend a field day on Aug. 27. The event will be at the Pontotoc Ridge-Flatwoods Branch Experiment Station, located at 8320 Hwy. 15 South. Specialists and researchers with the Mississippi State University Extension Service and the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Scientist, energy companies, research agencies and state and federal leaders gathered in Starkville for a nationally recognized energy symposium and the Houston Solar car was the center of attention. The Houston Solar Car team rolled out the 14-time National Solar Car Challenge solar car and parked it […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – With the fall hunting season approaching and residents riding 4-wheelers in the country, Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles is reminding riders they are not allowed on city streets unless they have a Mississippi Motor Vehicle Tag and proper safety equipment. Voyles said 4-wheelers can be a lot of […]
Elections tell us a lot about us. Houston had two over two weeks, with one of those being county-wide elections and the second a tourism tax vote. I had a wise man explain to me that elections are a one-day snapshot of our community. He added the results of the vote change the dynamics and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An exhaustive recount Wednesday morning Aug. 12, saw a proposed tourism tax vote go from a one-vote lead on Tuesday night to a two-vote loss on Wednesday afternoon. Complete but unapproved totals show 335 ballots cast for the 1-percent tax to 229 voting against it. A total […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal TUPELO – United Furniture Industries, which got its start in Okolona in 1982, was greeted like a Hollywood star and long-lost friend at a ribbon-cutting ceremony Thursday in its new showroom at the Tupelo Furniture Market. But United isn’t a stranger to the market – it had long been […]
HOUSTON – It is the worst news that could run through a community and emergency personnel from across the county will train for it Thursday. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency will host a live drill Thursday morning where a person with a gun has gotten inside the Houston School of Science and Technology, taken […]
This is normally the time of year this newspaper is bringing you headlines, stories and photos of the Houston Solar Car coming back from some part of this great country with another National Solar Challenge Trophy. But this year the Houston Solar Car will be traveling to Australia to compete in the World Solar Car […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – An exhaustive recount today has seen a proposed tourism tax go from a one-vote lead on Tuesday night to a two-vote loss Wednesday afternoon. Complete but unapproved totals show 335 ballots cast for the 1-percent tax to 229 voting against. A total of 564 votes were tallied and […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Initial election results Tuesday night indicate a hotly contested tourism tax vote has passed by one vote. Houston’s proposed tourism tax referendum saw 339 ballots for the 1-percent tax and 225 against it in an election that was fiercely contested by restaurants in the city this summer. The […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka School District is now cleaning the site of a fire that destroyed part of Houlka Attendance Center – the district’s only school — in July, 2014, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Although the fire-gutted remnants of the building are being knocked […]
This column is being written on Monday prior to Tuesday’s county and state elections. I hope the best candidates win. But after more than 25 years of covering elections, I’ve found it is rarely the best or worst who get elected – it’s the same ones year after year. That changed this year in Chickasaw […]
- THE NUMBERS: Tourism tax vote fails August 22, 2015
- MSU professor to lead national beef organization August 25, 2015
- Alabama man indicted in fatal Trace wreck August 25, 2015
- ICC names 2015 Spring graduates August 26, 2015
- Reward offered in Monroe County deputy shooting case August 26, 2015
- UPDATED WEEK 2: High School Football Scores August 28, 2015
- WEEK 2: High School Football Capsules August 28, 2015
- Training for the worst August 28, 2015
- MSU student threats lead to lockdown, arrest August 28, 2015
- Two solar farms sprout in Chickasaw County August 28, 2015
- Randy Wanat: Change "Christianity" to "Islam" and suddenly ...
- TRSmith: What happens to students who reside in the distric...
- Beth: The only way to protect ourselves and our benefits...
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago