CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered Nov. 19 for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
This is the time of year when people shop and this is also the time of year when community-oriented newspapers urge you to shop at home. We all know the reason for shopping at home when you spend money locally it strengthens the local economy. But do you really know the numbers? For every $100 […]
HOUSTON – Repairs to the Davis Lake Bridge is the top work project for Chickasaw County this fall but the bids for the work have come in over budget. Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids last week at their meeting at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston but the low bid of $357,962.88 was $82,362.88 over […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
JACKSON (AP) – Mississippi’s unemployment rate fell slightly in October to 7.6 percent, according to figures released Friday by the U.S. Labor Department. The rate was down from 7.7 percent in September and from 7.9 percent in August. Mississippi had an 8.2 jobless rate in October 2013. The survey found that the number of Mississippians […]
HOUSTON – A report on the latest legal concerns to get the vo-tech roof fixed was presented to trustees Monday night with the board taking no action on the issue. Trustees were presented the report by Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker, who said the packet included a summary of the situation and a letter or […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It was a sunny day Wednesday in Chickasaw County as dirt was turned on a new 30-acre, $9 million solar farm south of Okolona. State and local officials gathered for a groundbreaking for Commodore Solar Farm that will see 9,804 solar panels track the Sun and glean enough energy from it to […]
Daily Journal OXFORD – The Calhoun City National Guard was debriefed in Oxford on Sunday morning and was given information on their benefits from veterans’ hospitals to the G.I. Bill. Joey Jones, an E8 First Sergeant in the group, said the group of just over 150 left for Afghanistan last October, and returned stateside in […]
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story and totals are updated with more than 200 absentee and affidavit ballots cast in Chickasaw County in the Nov. 4, 2014 General Election. HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last week and a three-man Houston […]
HOUSTON – Incumbent Senator Thad Cochran may have won the election but he did not win Chickasaw County in mid-term elections last night and a three-man Houston School Board race will see the top two vote-getters in a run off. Democratic Senatorial candidate Travis Childers, of Booneville, garnered 52.40 percent of the vote with 2,140 […]
It’s the latest trend sweeping the country and it has come to Houston in the form of The Rusty Pig. They are not a true food truck, but more of a smile and fine Southern barbecue sold from a smoker and trailer that they park on The Square in downtown Houston Friday, Saturday and soon […]
HOUSTON – The Exchange Club of Houston will be hosting a prayer breakfast at 7 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center. The event is themed “One Nation Under God” and its aim is to increase appreciation of our rich religious heritage, but also seeks to remind Americans to […]
OKOLONA – Construction crews are busy trying to get the Chickasaw County AgriCenter dry ahead of fall rains and will reuse the old tin roof on the walls inside. The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors approved a bid from Eric Muloney of $8,500 to take tin pulled from roof of the AgriCenter and put it […]
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Davis Lake bridge bids opened November 27, 2014
- Who’s No. 1! November 28, 2014
- Monroe authorities need help locating missing man November 28, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 28, 2014
- Houlka powers past North Pontotoc November 27, 2014
- Houston nips Wildcats November 27, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago