By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Aldermen will allocate funds back to the city’s Park and Recreation Department and could purchase a covered batting cage pavilion at their next meeting. Parks and Recreation leaders hope the acquisition will quell rumors of malfeasance by the city and the parks department. Aldermen met May 11 in […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Tony Cook doesn’t know everyone in Houston, but he does have Hilltopper roots. Houston’s next superintendent will take office in July and will bring his family to the town where he grew up. Cook graduated from Houston High School in 1982 and went on to graduate from […]
By Brandon Speck Special to the Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – Houston is playing in its first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park. The Hilltoppers take […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal COPES has been a part of the community in Chickasaw County for years and has repeatedly helped youth and families who have fallen on hard times or between the cracks of traditional human service program. And COPES is always looking for volunteers or those with resources – financial, educational or […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Koby Micheal Hill, of Houston, has accepted membership in The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS). “NSCS is more than just a symbol of academic achievement. Membership gives students access to a number of amazing benefits including career and networking resources, scholarships, travel, and service projects both on […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – City taxpayers will decide Aug. 11 if Houston will levy a tax to market the town to the world. The Houston Board of Aldermen voted 4-0 at their May 5 meeting to set the election that will require businesses to collect a 1 percent tax on prepared food […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been inducted into Sigma Beta Delta, the international honor society for business, at Williams Baptist College. The induction ceremony was held April 8. Sigma Beta Delta is open to college juniors and seniors in the field of business. To qualify for […]
What roles will social issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and religious freedom play in the 2016 presidential race? On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court decided abortion was a legal right, thus settling the debate … right! In January of this year an estimated 600,000 people marched in […]
By Josh Hill Special to Chickasaw Journal The Houston Hilltoppers seemed to have hit their stride with a back-and-forth style that has allowed them to advance to the Mississippi High School Activities Assocation North Half semifinals this week. The Hilltoppers proved they could get the job done over Itawamba AHS in a two-out-three contest […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston School Board met last week to narrow the list of potential candidates for the next district superintendent and hired Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to […]
Voters went to the polls yesterday to choose a Congressman and they will head to the polls in just a few short months to select their county leaders for the next four years. With all the problems we have in America, this newspaper and this community realizes the man we send to Washington […]
By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal TUPELO – Two candidates – a Democrat and a Republican – are advancing to a June 2 runoff election in the race for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat. Howard Zinn and Trent Kelly were the two front runners in Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat left vacated following the […]
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) awarded Calhoun County a solid waste assistance grant of $11,473 that will be used by the county for enforcement efforts regarding illegal dumping. “The Solid Waste Assistance Grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties,” said Gary Rikard, MDEQ Executive Director. “This […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Trustees hired Amory School District Superintendent Tony Cook as the next leader of the Houston School District Tuesday morning. Trustees, meeting in executive session, voted to hire Cook to replace longtime Houston superintendent Dr. Steve Coker whose contract was not renewed by the board […]
- CRIME ROUNDUP: Houston resident arrested for sexual assault May 16, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- HELP WANTED: Mentors, volunteers sought for COPES May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago