TUPELO – Congressman Alan Nunnelee’s cancer has recurred, he is at home in Tupelo and “no further medical treatment is possible,” a spokesman said Friday. In a statement released Friday afternoon, consultant Morgan Baldwin said: “After seven months of bravely fighting brain cancer and a stroke, Congressman Alan Nunnelee was informed last Friday that a new […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The community, faculty and staff will be asked to help create the criteria to be used to hire a new superintendent for Houston schools. The Houston School Board met in a special called meeting last week, with Dr. Harold Fisher of the Mississippi School Board Association, to establish a timeline to hire a […]
HOUSTON – Like many of today’s homeowners, Chickasaw County supervisors are looking to refinance their mortgage for “The Big House.” Supervisors heard details of refinancing at their regular third-Tuesday meeting last week, but took no action. The county is direct their bond representative with Duncan/Williams, Inc., to see if the deal can be restructured and […]
GREENVILLE – State Auditor Stacey Pickering presented Greenville Mayor John Cox and other city leaders with a check in the amount of $70,000 Jan. 16. This money was recovered following the investigation into former Greenville Parks and Recreation Director Yvette Yeager. The money was received from bond coverage that the City of Greenville had on […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – Equipment is being installed at United Furniture Industries’ newest production plant as it gets ready to open in two weeks. But one critical component is missing: employees. The company, which already employs more than 1,600 people at five facilities in Northeast Mississippi, is looking to fill 300 jobs […]
HOUSTON – Aldermen are reading over a resolution that would impose an economic development and tourism tax on restaurants but and are considering several options before they adopt this ordinance. The current wording would have a 2-percent tax placed on restaurants based on the sale of prepared food and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. “We have […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal VERONA – United Furniture Industries, already one of the largest furniture industry employers in Northeast Mississippi, hopes to add 300 jobs in the next few years. Next month, the company will open its newest production facility in the former Lane Furniture plant in the Tupelo Lee Industrial Park South. The […]
HOUSTON – In a town famous for high gas prices, the cost of a gallon of gasoline dropped under $2 last week at most convenience stores. North Pak-A-Pok was selling gasoline for $1.97 a gallon and the first in the community go drop below the two-buck level. “We have always tried to be a place […]
HOUSTON – School Board Trustees were told picking a new school superintendent is critical to the success of their district and community and were urged to do it carefully and correctly. The Houston School Board met with Dr. Michael Waldrop, executive director of the Mississippi School Board Association Monday night and listened as he outlined […]
MISSISSIPPI STATE — Jamie Earp operates a successful sweet potato farm in Chickasaw County, but he chose to work with a graphic design class at Mississippi State University to develop a new brand image. Fifteen graphic art students in Suzanne Powney’s advanced print production class got to work with an actual client as they learned […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Supervisors named Jerry Hall as board president and picked Anderson McFarland as the vice president last week but the vote was not unanimous. Hall represents District 4 that covers Okolona and the eastern portion of Chickasaw County, McFarland represents District 1 representing Houston and the western portion of the county. The […]
HOULKA – No one ever doubted Chickasaw County Schools would rise from the ashes of a devastating fire that destroyed the historic Houlka High School this summer, the question was just when and what the new building would look like. Chicksasaw County School Board Trustees have not finalized a timeline for building and getting back […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol’s mobile Driver’s License office will be open in Houston at the WIN Job Center at 210 South Monroe Street the third Monday of each month. They also will be at the National Guard Armory on Highway 8 in Okolona the third Wednesday and the Courthouse in Pittsboro on the third Tuesday. […]
HOUSTON – The rates are not going up but the minimum amount of water Houston residents can use at a fixed price has gone down. Houston Aldermen voted to reduce its minimum monthly water usage limit from 3,000 gallons to 2,000 on a 4-1 vote last week. The motion to set the new minimum was […]
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation January 28, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago