By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – Community leaders from across Northeast Mississippi will gather next week to discuss transforming public education and Mississippi’s infrastructure at the CREATE Foundation’s Commission on the Future of Northeast Mississippi State of the Region meeting. Seventeen counties in the region will be represented at the event. The 20th […]
Archive | Business RSS feed for this section
Business News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA — Okolona’s mayor and city council has unanimously voted to accept the donation of several pieces of blighted property from their owners, and put a number of other landowners on 30-day notice to clean up their land. The action is part of a move by the […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal PEARL – An intense Denver McQuary asked his coach, Scott Gann, for the ball Saturday, moments after Houston’s Game 2 loss to Newton County. Gann obliged his senior right-hander Sunday night and it paid off big time as the Hilltoppers won the program’s first state championship. McQuary fired a seven-hitter […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Board of Mayor and Aldermen have cleared the way for voters to once again cast a ballot for or against a tourism tax in Houston. On a motion by Ward 3 Alderman Frank Thomas and a second by Ward 4 Alderman Willie Mae McKinney, Houston aldermen voted […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — Schools around Mississippi are hosting graduation and have snarled the Mississippi High School Activities Association bracket for the State Baseball playoffs. But Houston is ready to roll at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Friday’s Game Two win over Ripley gave the Hilltoppers their third North Half Championship in a row. […]
Having a corner location for your business, office or company has always been a smart way to make money. The concept is higher visibility and traffic-count make for more customers walking in your door. And every businessman knows you can’t make a sale until they find your business. In urban development circles they are […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Every offseason since 2009, Dan Mullen has heard his name associated with just about every major college coaching vacancy. It has become something of a tradition for Mullen to see where he is going to land next. There was Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, Colorado and Southern Cal along […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach. Once projected the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken by the Miami Dolphins. Minutes before the draft a video showing Tunsil smoking something and using […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal CHICAGO – Laremy Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss football coach – the biggest story on what was supposed to be a huge night for the Rebels’ program. Once projected as the No. 1 pick in the draft, Tunsil slid to No. 13 where he was taken […]
JACKSON (AP) — The Mississippi Legislature has concluded its 2016 session. The House of Representatives adjourned for a final time Thursday after meeting briefly and disposing of a procedural block on one bill. That measure allows people in designated districts in certain places to carry alcoholic beverages outside the location it was served. In […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Efforts to make major revisions to the pivotal Mississippi Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basic funding to operate local school districts, were unsuccessful during the rapidly ending 2016 session. Whether those efforts were unsuccessful because of a lack of will to make […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Northeast Mississippi local governments garnered about $3 million in projects in a $249.6 million bond bill that passed both chambers of the state Legislature late Monday. Bond proceeds will be used to pay off the project over a period of years. The projects range from tourism-related […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal TUPELO – With a charter school expansion officially signed into law by Gov. Phil Bryant this week, local school district leaders are trying to determine how the changes will impact their schools and students. The amendments to the Mississippi Charter School Act of 2013 allow students in any C, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They cleaned the streets of Houston Saturday and they need your help to keep them that way. Volunteers and Chickasaw County inmates fanned out across the community and picked up 168 bags of trash as part of the Chickasaw Development Foundation and Houston Downtown Association’s Trash Bash. […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago