ABERDEEN – The Day Commission is seeking pieces of Aberdeen’s past for an upstairs room of the Magnolias specific to the Sykes family and the time period stretching from the home’s construction in 1850 to the beginning of the Civil War. “Our idea is to display photos and other items representative of that time frame […]
About Shane CastileJournal Inc. Interactive Division | Webmaster | Interactive Designer / Online Content Assoc.
Author Archive | Shane Castile
HATLEY – Rupert Watson is no stranger to war. At just 19 years old, Watson enlisted in the Navy and headed off to World War II. “We went to Africa in 1942, in the early part of the war. I had heard stories from my dad about war my whole life, but here I was […]
Monroe County celebrated its veterans with several ceremonies scheduled around the Nov. 11 holiday. Because the holiday fell on a Sunday this year, the celebrations stretched out through several days. With breakfasts, balloon releases, parades, school programs and even a halftime show, the cities and towns throughout the county gave those served in the military […]
ABERDEEN – The historic Bryan family cemetery of Peter Grantham Bryan and his wife, Maria Wright Bryan, was abandoned circa 1920 because people simply could not get to it anymore. In the early 1980’s the Corps of Engineers built the road to the west side of the Blue Bluff Lock and Dam and this road […]
SMITHVILLE – During its last 4-H club meeting, Smithville’s 4-H Chapelette had a visit from Tim Coker with the Smithville Fire Department. Coker talked about the importance of fire extinguishers in the home, how families should have a meeting place outside and what to do in case of a fire. He also showed the youth […]
- Okolona school bond vote is Tuesday August 22, 2014
- Okolona man arrested in West Point crime August 26, 2014
- Okolona bond vote undecided August 26, 2014
- Houston considers tax increase August 27, 2014
- Houlka falls to East Union August 28, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Eight-man Eagles open season August 28, 2014
- EW downs Vardaman in season opener August 28, 2014
- Color Run fun August 28, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...