ABERDEEN – The Day Commission is seeking pieces of Aberdeen’s past for an upstairs room of the Magnolias specific to the Sykes family and the time period stretching from the home’s construction in 1850 to the beginning of the Civil War. “Our idea is to display photos and other items representative of that time frame […]
About Shane CastileJournal Inc. Interactive Division | Webmaster | Interactive Designer / Online Content Assoc.
Author Archive | Shane Castile
HATLEY – Rupert Watson is no stranger to war. At just 19 years old, Watson enlisted in the Navy and headed off to World War II. “We went to Africa in 1942, in the early part of the war. I had heard stories from my dad about war my whole life, but here I was […]
Monroe County celebrated its veterans with several ceremonies scheduled around the Nov. 11 holiday. Because the holiday fell on a Sunday this year, the celebrations stretched out through several days. With breakfasts, balloon releases, parades, school programs and even a halftime show, the cities and towns throughout the county gave those served in the military […]
ABERDEEN – The historic Bryan family cemetery of Peter Grantham Bryan and his wife, Maria Wright Bryan, was abandoned circa 1920 because people simply could not get to it anymore. In the early 1980’s the Corps of Engineers built the road to the west side of the Blue Bluff Lock and Dam and this road […]
SMITHVILLE – During its last 4-H club meeting, Smithville’s 4-H Chapelette had a visit from Tim Coker with the Smithville Fire Department. Coker talked about the importance of fire extinguishers in the home, how families should have a meeting place outside and what to do in case of a fire. He also showed the youth […]
- Schools announce Wednesday closings February 25, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...