Picnic in the Park!
HOUSTON – It’s planned and presented by students for students and its an annual food and fun event.
Picnic in the Park is a first-day-of-school celebration unique to Houston and it is coordinated by the Houston High School Student Council.
“We just have hamburgers, drinks and have a little fun,” said Leslie Bigby, Houston High School Student Council President. “They let out classes and we walk across the road to the park.
“It’s really pretty simple,” she added. “And it’s fun.”
Teachers and school officials are not sure how long Picnic in the Park has been going on, but they pointed out it is the perfect way to start the school year.
“We do this the first day of class and we have another one in the spring on the last day of class,” said Bigby. “The Student Council also tries to have an event every nine-weeks for students who have no tardies and no discipline problems.”
Bigby said there are some logistics to getting hamburgers cooked, buns put on the table and all the fixin’s that go with a hamburger plate complete with drinks and chips.
“Some of us have been doing it for a couple of year,” said Bigby. “Our sponsors and the other teachers help, too.”
Teachers are “invited” to the event, but tend to gather in their own group as they keep an eye on the kids.
Most kids get a bite to eat and then covey-up in groups to visit with friends they may not have seen since the summer break.
Even though they are now high school students, they still find a way to enjoy the slide, see-saw and merry-go-round in Joe Brigance. Most gather at the picnic tables at the pavilion.
Parkway Baptist Church always brings out their snowcone machine and serves up a cool desert.
“I’ve been here six year and we’ve done it every year I’ve been here,” said Todd Stanton, Minister of Youth at Parkway. “We just want to let kids know we support them at school, too. It’s just another way to show them someone loves them.”
The Houston High School Student Council is a leadership organization designed to promote student led activities.
The Student Council does a variety of community service project each year from the canned food drive and a fundraiser for LeBonheur Hospital to a Positive Behavior In School project and a blood drive.
Young people on Houston High School Student Council must not fail a class and must maintain a “C” average for each semester.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago