Alleged robbery in Chickasaw County leads to arrest
Falcon was charged with possession of a weapon by a convicted felon after officers found a .22-caliber rifle, a shotgun and 9mm handgun.
Aberdeen Police Chief Henry Randle said Falcon also had stolen ammunition and hunting equipment in his motel room at Shelaine’s, along with a stolen excavator.
According to Randle, Falcon had made a deal to sell the excavator, which was stolen from Byram, to someone in Chickasaw County. When the deal reportedly didn’t happen, Falcon allegedly robbed the subject.
Shoemaker back in court
OXFORD – Two men convicted in 2011 for a kickback-bribery scheme at the Tri-Lakes Medical Center in Batesville will have some of their charges retried.
U.S. District Court Judge Neal B. Biggers last week ordered a retrial of Lee Garner’s three counts of fraud and one count of bribery and two counts of fraud and one count of bribery against former Tupelo businessman Ray Shoemaker.
Biggers, in the memorandum opinion, said the retrial is necessary because the government didn’t make public the indictment of their star witness, Michael David Chandler, until the trial was essentially over.
Biggers said the defense didn’t have all possible information when cross-examining Chandler because the information was sealed during most of the trial.
The information withheld from the defense, Biggers said, could have been used for defense strategies or the impeachment of the government’s star witness.
“…the Court finds that the defendants are entitled to a new trial on the conspiracy charges on which Chandler was the primary witness, and to do otherwise would be a denial of due process of law to the defendants,” Biggers wrote in his opinion.
Shoemaker is currently serving a 55-month sentence on other counts arising from the same scheme.
Garner has not been given jail time.
Phone scam reported
They say they are Publishers’ Clearing House and they’ve got money for you.
Calhoun County Sheriff Gregg Pollan said the lastest phone scam has a caller contacting several people in Calhoun County and telling them they have won a cash prize.
The catch is the caller says the winner has to wire money to get their winnings.
Pollan said he has received more than 30 reports of the calls coming to residents of Calhoun County over the past few days.
Pollan pointed out Publishers Clearing House does not contact prize winners over the phone and they never ask for money to claim a prize.
Pollan said the scam is apparently linked to a nationwide scam that has been going on for more than a year. He said the calls are believed to originate in Jamaica and money wired there is very difficult to recover.
Pollan said any one who gets a similar call is advised to hang up the phone immediately and contact authorities.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago