Best of Houston
HOUSTON – It is one of the highest honors that can be given to a Houston school teacher and it comes with a $500 check.
Five teachers in the Houston School District received an annual award for excellence in their profession with one, Tyrell Davis, receiving the Manny Davis Teacher of the Year award as the top honor.
The award process, sponsored by the Chickasaw Development Foundation, accepts nominations from each of the five Houston District schools and one overall winner is selected. During the process, the teacher’s information is revealed to a panel of judges without names for an unbiased decision.
“We traditionally give out this award at the beginning of the school year as a reward to a deserving group of teachers,” said Dr. Steve Coker, Superintendent of the Houston School District. “It also acts as an incentive for our teachers throughout the school year.”
Coker pointed out the honor is given by a specially selected committee of Houston School District Teachers.
“Teachers know who is performing in the classroom and in their schools,” said Coker. “It is an honor to be nominated and of course to be selected.”
Joyce East, Executive Director of CDF and said the annual ceremony is used to recognize local teachers for their service to students.
“Our teachers do such a great job educating our children and we think it’s a wonderful opportunity to acknowledge their great service,” said East. “We are glad to be part of this event every year.”
Davis is a veteran math teacher at Houston High School.
Chosen as teachers of the year from their respective schools are:
• Christy Watkins – Houston Lower Elementary.
• Linda Heair – Houston Upper Elementary.
• Laqunda Cooper – Houston Middle School.
• Tyrell Davis – Houston High School.
• Teresa Moore – Houston School of Science and Technology.
Each teacher received a monetary prize of $100 for their nomination and a plaque.
The award was given out at a barbecue luncheon held Friday at the Houston High School Commons as part of staff development for Houston School District Teachers and preparations for the first day of school on Wednesday, Aug. 6.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers crush Yazoo April 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago