Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver.
Houston Town Marshal Billy Voyles reminds local motorists that the fines for driving dangerously around a school bus are hefty.
He also pointed out law enforcement and judges traditionally show no mercy for those caught driving carelessly around school buses.
He said his department will have extra patrols around schools the first few weeks of class and this is the only warning motorists will get.
“Slow down,” said Voyles.
This newspaper would like to go further and add that anyone who spots motorist driving dangerously around school buses or in school zones should contact authorities immediately. All you need to do is get a tag number, brief description and quietly call 911.
Houston, Okolona and Houlka law enforcement have all said they will check into it immediately.
We encourage motorist to leave a little early when taking kids to school. Please make sure seatbelts are buckled, the radio is turned down and your mind is on getting your kids to school safely.
It is the intention of law enforcement, school officials and this newspaper to do everything in our power to have a safe school year.
Statistics from the National Safety Council indicate that a reduction in speed of just 10 miles per hour would alleviate an estimated 40-percent of auto accidents.
So before you gripe about speed bumps, driveway potholes or carry your ticket to court seeking justice – Slow down!
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago