Dove hunting season, limits set
JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields.
Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, early seasons will be similar to recent years with a few minor changes.
The most significant change is the addition of 20 days to the dove season. This year Mississippi hunters will enjoy a 90-day, 15-bird daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves. The possession limit is 45 birds.
Mississippi is divided into two zones to maximize hunting opportunities throughout the state.
The North Dove Zone, which includes Chickasaw County, is defined as north of U.S. Hwy. 84 plus areas south of U.S. Hwy. 84 and west of MS Hwy. 35.
Season dates for the North Zone are:
• Sept. 1 – Sept. 21
• Oct. 4 – Nov. 9
• Dec. 15 – Jan. 15
Season dates for the South Zones are:
• Sept. 13 – Sept. 21
• Oct. 4 – Nov. 9
• Dec. 3 – Jan. 15
The MDWFP Commission has also formally set the hunting dates for other birds.
The early teal season is Sept. 13 – Sept. 28. The bag limit for September teal is six per day with no more than 18 in possession.
The hunting season for resident Canada geese is Sept.1 – Sept. 15. The daily bag limit is five Canada geese with a possession limit of 15.
The hunting season for rails and gallinules is Sept. 13 – Nov. 21. The daily bag limit for clapper rails and king rails is 15 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate. Daily bag limits for Virginia rails and sora rails is 25 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 75 singly or in aggregate. The daily bag limit for common and purple gallinules is 15 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate.
The hunting season for snipe is Nov. 14, 2014 – Feb. 28, 2015. The daily bag limit is eight snipe with a possession limit of 24 birds.
Woodcock season is Dec. 18, 2014 – Jan. 31, 2015. The daily bag limit is three woodcock with a possession limit of nine birds.
For more information regarding waterfowl in Mississippi, visit www.mdwfp.com/waterfowl or call us at (601) 432-2199. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mdwfp or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDWFPonline.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago