Dove hunting season, limits set
JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2014-15 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds with sportsmen getting more time in Mississippi dove fields.
Early migratory game bird hunting seasons set at the July meeting include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, dove, and rails. This year, early seasons will be similar to recent years with a few minor changes.
The most significant change is the addition of 20 days to the dove season. This year Mississippi hunters will enjoy a 90-day, 15-bird daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves. The possession limit is 45 birds.
Mississippi is divided into two zones to maximize hunting opportunities throughout the state.
The North Dove Zone, which includes Chickasaw County, is defined as north of U.S. Hwy. 84 plus areas south of U.S. Hwy. 84 and west of MS Hwy. 35.
Season dates for the North Zone are:
• Sept. 1 – Sept. 21
• Oct. 4 – Nov. 9
• Dec. 15 – Jan. 15
Season dates for the South Zones are:
• Sept. 13 – Sept. 21
• Oct. 4 – Nov. 9
• Dec. 3 – Jan. 15
The MDWFP Commission has also formally set the hunting dates for other birds.
The early teal season is Sept. 13 – Sept. 28. The bag limit for September teal is six per day with no more than 18 in possession.
The hunting season for resident Canada geese is Sept.1 – Sept. 15. The daily bag limit is five Canada geese with a possession limit of 15.
The hunting season for rails and gallinules is Sept. 13 – Nov. 21. The daily bag limit for clapper rails and king rails is 15 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate. Daily bag limits for Virginia rails and sora rails is 25 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 75 singly or in aggregate. The daily bag limit for common and purple gallinules is 15 singly or in aggregate, and possession limit is 45 singly or in aggregate.
The hunting season for snipe is Nov. 14, 2014 – Feb. 28, 2015. The daily bag limit is eight snipe with a possession limit of 24 birds.
Woodcock season is Dec. 18, 2014 – Jan. 31, 2015. The daily bag limit is three woodcock with a possession limit of nine birds.
For more information regarding waterfowl in Mississippi, visit www.mdwfp.com/waterfowl or call us at (601) 432-2199. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mdwfp or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDWFPonline.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago