This story has a ring to it
“I was walking down State Street in Jackson and saw something in the crack of the sidewalk,” said Lavender, who lives in Canton. “I dug it out and it was a lady’s Calhoun City High School class ring and it was in perfect condition.”
Lavender has family in Houlka and has lived in the Golden Triangle. He knew where Calhoun City was and wanted to know the story of how the ring got there.
“Like I said, there is nothing wrong with it and I cleaned it up and it’s beautiful,” said Lavender. “It’s a 1971 Calhoun City class ring.
“It’s got three initials in it and I don’t mind telling people the first two initials are ‘N’ and ‘S.’” said Lavendar. “If someone with those initials will call me and give me the last initial and describe it, it’s theirs.”
Lavendar said there couldn’t have been that many people in the 1971 Calhoun City graduating class and he felt someone out there can help him find the owner.
“They can call me at 601-859-2857 and leave a message on the machine,” Lavendar said. “I still come to Houlka and will make a special trip to get it back in the right hands. Maybe I should say get it back on the right hand.”
So what has prompted Lavendar on this mission of mercy and not a quick stop at the local pawn shop?
“My parents told me not to give my class ring to a girl, but I did,” said Lavendar. “We broke up not a month later and I never saw it again. I would sure love to have it back.”
Lavendar said his parents paid the astronomical sum of $90 for his class ring from Chamberlain-Hunt Academy in 1969. He said all class rings are a memory of a special time in a person’s life and a high school rite of passage.
Lavendar said he is also curious about how the ring got in that crack on the sidewalk in the state capital.
“Did some stupid guy throw it out the window of a car?” he pondered. “Did she go to a football game with it around her neck on a chain and the chain broke? Did she not really know where she lost it and this finally closes the circle?”
Rings are a symbol of a circle with no ending and often mark happy occasions.
“I hope this story has a happy ending,” Lavendar added. “Somebody needs to give me a call.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago