Better Schools petitions available
But there are also those who want to see the state honor it commitment to education and they have drawn up a petition that could prompt the Legislature to fully fun public school districts across the state.
Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12.
The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot.
Signature collectors will be seen at high school graduations and other school events, and throughout the summer.
“The process has a variety of phases,” said Patsy Brumfield, spokesman for Better Schools, Better Jobs. “We are in the process of gathering signatures and educating the public on what we are doing.
“Our deadline to collect signatures is Aug. 15,” said Brumfield. “Then we get the petition certified and we head to the Secretary of State in October and get him to put it on the ballot so Mississippians can vote on this.”
More than 107,000 signatures of registered voters will be required to get the issue on the ballot. Brumfield said Better School is seeking 120,000 signatures and would like 200,000. She said they currently have 87,000 signatures.
“Seventeen years ago the Legislature passed the Mississippi Adequate Education Program to financially shore up all school district,” Brumfield said. “The formula saw poorer school districts helped a little more than wealthy school districts and it had bi-partisan support.
“However, MAEP has been fully funded only twice since then” said Brumfield. “Schools have suffered because of this inadequate funding and our children have suffered, too.”
Brumfield added the state has also suffered, saying better schools would help Mississippi attract industry and better jobs.
Houston School Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker said Houston school children have been underfunded by MAEP to the tune of $4 million over the past four years. Okolona School district has lost over $70,000 a year over the past 17 years. Chickasaw County School District has been underfunded a total of $1.9 million by MAEP since 1997.
Anyone interested in the effort is asked to go to the website www.betterms.org or call (769) 524-6818.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago