VanCleave celebrates 105th birthday
HOUSTON – She has lived a long time in Houston and Gwenette VanCleave was all smiles as she celebrated her 105th Birthday last week.
VanCleave is one of the oldest residents in Houston and is close to being the oldest resident in the state. A milestone held by Annie Cooper, 108, of Holmes County.
VanCleave saw her fellow residents at Floy Dyer open the celebration by singing Happy Birthday. VanCleave was then presented with a tiara, scepter and personal presents. She and her birthday party crew were then treated to punch and cake.
“She lived all of her life that I know of in Houston,” Lori Douglas, of Starkville and VanCleave’s grand-daughter. “I can remember coming to her house and eating fried chicken. She also made the best banana pudding and lemon ice-box pie.
“She always has had a sweet nature,” said Douglas. “She only had one daughter, my mother, so she always treated her grandchildren special.”
VanCleave worked for years at Roebuck Cleaners on Main Street that was owned by her cousin.
Douglas said VanCleave had a house on Depot Street and walked to work.
Floy Dyer resident Sara Norris said she remembered when VanCleave worked at a grocery store on North Pontotoc Street near the intersection with Pittsboro Street.
“I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that store, but she worked there for years,” said Norris. “I used to get her to check out my groceries and we always talked. She always asked about my family.”
VanCleave’s birthday party was held at 11 a.m. Friday, July 11.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago