SOLAR CAR: Friday, July 18, 2014
Today is Team Check Day with the car and crew required to attend a variety of meetings and race events.
Teams will formally register this afternoon and a group meeting of all solar car racers and advisor/instructors will be held tonight in the ballroom of the Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel.
Prior to that a meeting of all safety crew members will be held to go over a long list of strict safety requirements for the car, pit crew, chase vehicles and trailers. The Solar Car Challenge has never had a serious accident involving a solar car and race officials are ticky about safety.
Greg Hollingsworth is the safety officer for the Houston Solar Car. His assistant is Hayden Powell.
A meeting for all navigators will also be held today. Navigators will be given the race schedule and route and told the details of getting their car from Point A to Point B. An error in navigation, especially on the road-race part of the trip costs the team time and race points.
Matthew Hood is the navigator of the Houston Solar Car.
Scrutineering will begin tomorrow at Texas Motor Speedway and will require the team to present their car for a compete engineering examination. The car will also be checked for safety features, measured and weighed.
The team will also have all paperwork check by race officials on Saturday.
A social event for all Solar Car Team will be held at Liberty Christian Academy Saturday night.
Sunday will see the second round of scrutineering and a final check of the race vehicle. Race officials will clear the vehicle for racing in the 2014 Solar Car Challenge at that time.
The Opening Banquet will be held Sunday evening at the Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Hotel.
Racing starts at 9 a.m. Monday morning on a closed circuit at the Texas Motor Speedway.
Road racing begins Wednesday from Fort Worth to Waco.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago