SOLAR CAR: Wed. July 16
MONROE, La. — The Houston Solar Car team made it safely to the Fort Worth Mariott Hotel, but not before they made a side-trip to Duck Dynasty Headquarters in Monroe, La.
Monroe is about half-way between Houston and Fort Worth and the the perfect opportunity for a rest and photo opportunity.
The trailer hauling the Sundancer solar car had a blow-out but was quickly fixed in NASCAR fashion by a pit crew and adults. The team considered it practice for solar racing that starts next week.
“Thursday we will examine the car and see how well it made the trip,” said Kristen Black Houston Solar Car team captain. “We’ll keep our fingers crossed.”
Black said team check in will be Friday and the crew has planned a little rest and recooperation for Thursday.
“If the car is fine Thursday will be a free day,” said Black. “Some of the boys are thinking Six Flags, but its supposed to rain here.”
Houston’s Solar Car Team has won the Solar Car Challenge the last 13 years and is the perennial favorite to win the race. The car from Chickasaw County does it with planning, teamwork and a mechanically-sound car.
Twenty-five teams are expected to show up at Texas Motor Speedway and start racing at 9 a.m. Monday. Sundancer has traditionally done well on the paved NASCAR speedway where consistency pays off. The teams then head out on the road Wednesday on the way to Austin with an overnight stop in Waco. Sundancer’s pitcrew will come into play in the Texas Hill Country where flats and breakdowns are more common in road-racing.
The race wraps up Thursday with vehicles climbing The Hill in Austin to the finish line in front of the Texas State Capitol.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago