Camping for fun and education
EUPORA – Children of America and Youth Fest held summer camp June 26-29 at Kamp Kumbaya in Eupora where the campers had a chance to enjoy many educational and fun activities.
There were a total of 40 campers and 15 staff members. Campers participated in a reading contest, math contest, Spanish challenge, arts and crafts, health and wellness, automotive basic training, swimming and fishing.
The reading and math contests consisted of the campers working and competing with material in line with the Common Core Assessment for the upcoming school year.
The arts and crafts portion consisted of building bird houses, making survival bracelets, recycling old T-shirts into pillows and making decorative jewelry boxes.
In the Spanish challenge, campers learned a total of 80 Spanish words and, after they learned the pronumciation and meaning of each word, a presented called out a word and they had to explain what it meant. This was an incentive to encourage campers to continue their study of Spanish and become bilingual.
The automotive basic training section taught campers how to change a flat tire, locate the maximum air pressure on a tire, check the tire pressure, determine if and how much air should be added and check the fluid levels on a vehicle. Safety was stressed throughout the training.
During health and wellness, campers learned how to make healthy choices when choosing fod and drink. They were taught how to read a food product label to determione which items are healthy and which are unhealthy. Campers were challenged to dedicate at least 30 minutes each day being physically active.
At the close of the week, McDonald’s manager and county supervisor, Anderson McFarland, spoke to the campers about making positive decisions, setting goals early and working hard to reach them.
Each workshop had a grading rubric and campers were evaluated on their performance. The points they earned went toward winning a new bike.
On Saturday, the camper’s points were totaled with Malik Bean and Miya Davidson tied with a score of 112 each. To break the tie, the two competitors answered questions from the Spanish challenge. Bean was the winner of the bicycle but each camper received a gift.
The campers and parents enjoyed their experience and many said they would return next year.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago