Taking their game on the road
Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company.
Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament.
The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of Jackson and owned by Ole Miss All American and Chicago White Sox player, Chris Snopek. They were coached by Chad Alexander who played for Texas A&M and then with the Seattle Mariners and Houston Astros.
Smith pitched two complete games, getting wins in both. In his first outing on the hill, he threw a one-hiter and struck out ten for a 9-1 win. In the second game, he allowed only two hits and struck out eight in a 6-0 shutout.
Hancock called every pitch Smith threw from behind the plate and also threw out several runners attempting to steal. Hancock also had a good series at the plate, recording multiple hits with RBIs. When not on the hill, Smith played outfield and recorded an assist and several put-outs.
Both Smith and Hancock will be incoming freshmen at Houston High School this fall and both are members of the varsity baseball team.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago