Cannon named ICC coach
Two weeks after being named interim head coach, Sean Cannon was officially introduced as the new head football coach at Itawamba Community College during a press conference at the David C. Cole Student Services Building on Tuesday.
“I feel very blessed to not only be a head football coach, but a head football coach at a great institution like Itawamba Community College,” Cannon said. “There is not only a lot of tradition in our athletic programs but also in our school as a whole. We have a lot to sell here at Itawamba Community College. A lot of coaches work their whole life to become a head football coach, and I’m very appreciative of the administration, President (Mike) Eaton, Mr. (Buddy) Collins and Coach (Carrie) Ball-Williamson for giving me this opportunity.”
Cannon, 39, a native of Calhoun City, succeeds Jon Williams as the 11th head coach in ICC history after spending the last four seasons as the program’s defensive coordinator and assistant head coach.
“Working here at ICC for the last four years has really prepared me for the job,” Cannon said. “I’m not coming in new, so knowing how things work, whom to call and how our school operates will not be a big adjustment. Jon Williams prepared me for this opportunity from the first day I walked in the door back in 2010. My biggest challenge now is going from managing the defensive players to now managing the entire football team.”
The 16-year coaching veteran has helped ICC win 21 games as defensive coordinator and has consistently guided the Indians to Top 25 finishes in every major defensive category.
Prior to ICC, Cannon coached linebackers and served as strength and conditioning coach for the University of North Alabama where he helped the Lions to an overall record of 44-7 along with two Gulf South Conference championships, three NCAA quarterfinals and one NCAA semifinal finish.
A standout defensive tackle at Delta State University, Cannon coached at his alma mater from 1997 through the 2004 season, serving for five years as defensive line coach and two seasons as defensive coordinator and linebacker coach. During his time in Cleveland, the Statesmen won two Gulf South Conference championships as well as the 2000 NCAA DII National Championship.
Cannon earned both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Delta State. He is married to the former Julia Gaston of Mendenhall. They have a son, Wade, and two daughters, Jenna and Josie.
For more information on ICC football and the nine other intercollegiate athletic programs, follow ICC Athletics on Twitter (@LetsGoICC) and visit LetsGoICC.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago