Two weeks after being named interim head coach, Sean Cannon was officially introduced as the new head football coach at Itawamba Community College during a press conference at the David C. Cole Student Services Building on Tuesday.
“I feel very blessed to not only be a head football coach, but a head football coach at a great institution like Itawamba Community College,” Cannon said. “There is not only a lot of tradition in our athletic programs but also in our school as a whole. We have a lot to sell here at Itawamba Community College. A lot of coaches work their whole life to become a head football coach, and I’m very appreciative of the administration, President (Mike) Eaton, Mr. (Buddy) Collins and Coach (Carrie) Ball-Williamson for giving me this opportunity.”
Cannon, 39, a native of Calhoun City, succeeds Jon Williams as the 11th head coach in ICC history after spending the last four seasons as the program’s defensive coordinator and assistant head coach.
“Working here at ICC for the last four years has really prepared me for the job,” Cannon said. “I’m not coming in new, so knowing how things work, whom to call and how our school operates will not be a big adjustment. Jon Williams prepared me for this opportunity from the first day I walked in the door back in 2010. My biggest challenge now is going from managing the defensive players to now managing the entire football team.”
The 16-year coaching veteran has helped ICC win 21 games as defensive coordinator and has consistently guided the Indians to Top 25 finishes in every major defensive category.
Prior to ICC, Cannon coached linebackers and served as strength and conditioning coach for the University of North Alabama where he helped the Lions to an overall record of 44-7 along with two Gulf South Conference championships, three NCAA quarterfinals and one NCAA semifinal finish.
A standout defensive tackle at Delta State University, Cannon coached at his alma mater from 1997 through the 2004 season, serving for five years as defensive line coach and two seasons as defensive coordinator and linebacker coach. During his time in Cleveland, the Statesmen won two Gulf South Conference championships as well as the 2000 NCAA DII National Championship.
Cannon earned both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Delta State. He is married to the former Julia Gaston of Mendenhall. They have a son, Wade, and two daughters, Jenna and Josie.
For more information on ICC football and the nine other intercollegiate athletic programs, follow ICC Athletics on Twitter (@LetsGoICC) and visit LetsGoICC.com.
Cannon named ICC coach
About Lisa Voyles
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Wake up America, move forward August 1, 2015
- NCAA charges Southern Miss, Tyndall August 1, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago