EDITORIAL: Shop Local
And this is also the time of year when community-oriented newspapers urge you to shop at home.
We all know the reason for shopping at home – when you spend money locally it strengthens the local economy.
But do you really know the numbers?
For every $100 spent in locally-owned, independent businesses, $68 returns to the community through, taxes, payroll and other expenditures. Spending that same $100 in an out of town mall gains us virtually nothing.
And we want to urge our local businesses to shop locally for services and materials for your business. That same 68-percent return on every dollar spent applies to you, too.
A story we researched and published in this newspaper two years ago said, if every shopper in Chickasaw County would spend $50 extra dollars in local businesses this month we would see our local economy turn around this summer.
We also want to point out with gasoline at $3.49 a gallon it costs a minimum of $20 to get to Tupelo and back. That can eat into any kind of alleged savings from shopping out of town.
Now can everything you need and want be purchased in this town? Of course not.
But we do encourage you to give local businesses that first shot at your summertime dollar.
We ask you to think about it another way.
What three locally owned businesses or companies would you miss if they closed?
The last couple of years have been tough on hometown businesses. They truly are the bread-and-butter of the local economy. They want your business – they need your business!
We encourage you to stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile. Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago