A summer of fun right here at home
While looking for recreation and activities this summer, don’t neglect the amenities right here at home.
Davis Lake Recreation Area is in the heart of Chickasaw County and boasts a 200-acre lake offering boating, skiiing, fishing and swimming opportunities. And for those who prefer more than just a day trip, camping sites are available from the most primitive campers to fully-dressed recreational vehicles.
Camp host, Larry Moore, who splits the volunteer position with Larry Dunn, said he has met people from all over the world who somehow find the lake located four miles east of the Natchez Trace Parkway and about four miles west of Houlka.
“There was a couple here from Paris, France,” Moore said of recent visitors. “They had come from Montreal and rented a car and were driving the Trace to Natchez, then going to New Orleans and back to New York.”
Moore said the couple brought a tent for primitive camping and underwent a stormy night which almost drove his wife, Barbara, to distraction.
“Barbara wanted to go out and get them,” laughed Moore. The couple weathered the storm but the next morning found Barbara at their tent inviting them to the Moore’s RV for breakfast.
“I cooked them waffles,” he smiled.
Moore said two bicylists from Australia visited the Recreation Area in 2013 and just last week another visitor from the land down under made a stop by the lake.
The Sisk family of Mathiston didn’t travel quite as far as some but chose to spend a week camping in the family-friendly facility.
“I really like how it has a fishing area and a swimming area,” said Brooke Sisk. “And they keep it so clean.”
Sherry Sisk agreed.
“It’s so quiet,” Sherry said. “We’ve been here since last Thursday and we have more family coming in later in the week. We’ll probably be here for a week at least.”
Nicole Moore of Troy made her first visit to the lake June 2 with her children and friend, Katina Stegall.
“I told her they’d all love it,” Stegall said.
“It’s absolutely beautiful,” Moore said while watching her children in the swimming area. “I’m thinking of coming back and camping with my kids.”
Sarah Montgomery of Houston joins her mother and sisters to fish from the pier, “pretty regular,” but they aren’t interested in swimming.
“I don’t swim so I don’t get in the water at all,” Montgomery said.
But the beauty of the Davis Lake Recreation Area lies in the variety of activities to suit each individual looking for summer fun.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago