Looking for lunkers at Legion Lake
HOUSTON – Not everyone caught fish but everyone did have fun.
The First Annual Chickasaw Development Foundation/Houston Hawg Callers bass fishing club Legion Lake Lunker Fishing Tournament for Kids went off without a hitch as youngsters caught fish and earned $25 checks and medals for their effort.
“I’ve got a pond at my house but I got my poppa to bring me,” said Trevor Carranza, 9. “We used worms. It was fun.”
Carranza took home a check for the Most Fish with eight bream and Chase McCowan won Biggest Fish honors with a nice .27-ounce bream. Carranza also took home the heaviest stringer, tipping the scales at 2-pounds, 6-ounces.
Ajay Patel, 14, of Houston, said this was the first time he had ever fished Legion Lake.
“We played baseball at the park and I saw the lake then,” said Patel. “When I saw it in the paper I got my mother to bring my sister and me. We used worms and I caught a fish.”
Patel said he plans to come back.
“We are glad to host these kinds of events,” said Kasey Lancaster, of the Houston Hawg Callers bass fishing club. “I always tell people kids can do a lot worse things than fish. I always urge parents to take their kids fishing.”
Lancaster said his grandmother carried him fishing and sparked an interest that later became a hobby and even a business designing fishing lures.
Chickasaw Development Foundation Board President John Walden welcomed the crowd of about 25 kids and parents to the first annual event.
“We have plans to do this again next year and I want to thank the Houston Hawg Callers and Tyler West with the Fish and Wildlife Agency for managing this event,” said Walden. “We had good weather, a good turn out and it looks like everyone had fun.”
Walden said they hope to get the Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks to do a survey of the lake and re-stock it.
“The day they re-stock it, they bring in a net and dump new fish in the net,” said Walden. “The kids get to fish in the net and then they turn the net loose.”
Walden said Legion Lake is an under used tourism attraction for Houston.
“It’s a beautiful lake and the city has come in and mowed it and done some dirtwork,” said Walden. “I’d love to see someone put up a pavilion and maybe a couple of tables and make it a place families can come and have a picnic.”
Saturday’s tournament was open to anyone under the age of 16 and all fishermen were accompanied by an adult. Anglers provided their own rods, reels, poles, bait and tackle.
Winners at the First Annual Chickasaw Development Foundation/Houston Hawg Callers bass fishing club Legion Lake Lunker Fishing Tournament for Kids, category and amount were:
1st – Chase McCowan, .27-ounce bream.
2nd – Trevor Carranza, .25-ounce bream.
3rd – Parker James Ard, .24-ounce bream.
1st – Trevor Carranza, eight fish.
2nd – Chase McCowan, seven fish.
3rd – Kolton Williams, five fish.
1st – Trevor Carranza, 2-pounds, 6-ounces.
2nd – Chase McCowan, 1-pound, 3.5-ounces.
3rd – Kolton Williams, 1-pound.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago