LISA VOYLES: Summer fun
We won’t be making a beach trip this year because we’re just too busy with other activities which kicked off last week.
We made a trip to Chicago to see nephew, Max, graduate Navy basic training. Actually, we made a trip to Waukegan, Ill., and zipped over to Great Lakes for the graduation ceremony. But we did go through Chicago.
It was my first trip to Chi-town and I elected to be a passenger through the city proper. Brother and I tag-teamed the 12-hour drive – which would have been 11 hours had we not been forced to drive through Chicago. I can handle Memphis, West Memphis and even Jonesboro in the driving rain, but I bailed just south of the Chicago and retreated to the back seat. I know my limitations. I’m a “forward” kind of driver. Put me on an interstate and I can go all day. Cloverleafs, loops and exit ramps just aren’t my strong suit.
Once we arrived in Waukegan safely, everything was smooth sailing. The Great Lakes campus is beautiful and the graduation ceremony was awesome. It was all I could have hoped for in a graduation – precision and pagentry, razor sharp creases in sparkling white dress uniforms, formality and disciplined respect.
We got to spend Friday evening and all day Saturday with Max, just visiting and petting our “boy” who is not a boy anymore. This tall, handsome young man has grown up so much in the past six weeks of basic training. He is completely confident in his abilities and looking forward to his future. And I’m looking forward to watching him move into his future, opening a new chapter in his life.
We made it home safe and sound Sunday night, but we won’t be able to rest for long.
Later this month Cody and Charlie will join the church youth group for a mission trip in Grenada and they’ll be gone on another one in July.
Mama and I are heading out to visit relatives in a week or so and we’ll all be in Bogalusa, Louisiana, for a family reunion later this summer.
We just couldn’t squeeze in another trip this year and I’m not complaining. I’m sure by the time school starts again we’ll all be completely worn out from all the fun we’re going to have.
By this time next summer, Max should be stationed in San Diego and I understand they have lovely beaches in that area.
Interstate 40 – yep, that’s my kind of driving. I think I see a plan coming together.
Lisa Voyles is Managing Editor/Sports for the Chickasaw Journal. She can be reached at 456-3771 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago