Campers on the diamond
“Go get it, throw it in! Good job!”
Grady Nabors’ positive words could be heard on the Houston High School baseball field last week as he took younger boys through fielding drills during baseball camp.
Nabors has good reason to be so encouraging to the potential Hilltoppers. It wasn’t that long ago he was in their cleats.
“I remember being around all the older kids,” Nabors said of his own days of summer camp. “I remember it was always fun and they were so cool. I know they (younger players) look up to the older kids.”
Houston coach Scott Gann also remembers attending camp as a young boy and now watches his JV and varsity team members take their turns as mentors.
“This shows them the other side of coaching,” Gann said. “We want them (campers) to learn the fundamentals and have an opportunity to be coached by guys they look up to like I did growing up.”
The three-day camp focused on fundamentals and skills training in hitting, fielding, running and – everyone’s favorite – sliding. But it also gave some of the older players an opportunity to step up to a coaching and role model position.
“They are mentors,” Gann said. “Take Tanner Smith, for example. He is really eating this up, getting to coach the younger guys.”
Gann said the camp is an opportunity for players to learn what their own coaches work toward in the dugout.
“Trying to teach them and keep them focused while we all stay happy and have fun,” Gann said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago