Una invites you!
UNA – It started with a discussion at a family reunion about a way to make something good happen in Una and quickly grew into a community event that everyone enjoys.
The Eighth Annual Una Fun Fest will be held June 6-7 at the community park and pavilion in Una and the public is being urged to come out enjoy a little food and entertainment, buy something and just have a good time.
“It started as a family reunion and has grown into a community reunion,” said Sandra Wofford, secretary for Una Fun Fest. “We’ve always tried to keep it family oriented and turn around and help people and our community with this. God has blessed it and allowed it to grow into what it is today.”
Friday night will see an evening of Gospel music and Saturday dawns with arts, crafts, games for the kids and lots of good food.
“We are bringing in some very good Gospel groups and we’ve got some local favorites, too,” said Wofford. “Each offers a little something different but they are all praising the Lord. It’s going to be good and it all starts at 6 p.m.”
Groups slated to sing Friday night are:
• Pleasant Plain M.B. Church Praise Team.
• New Converted Voices.
• Mighty Gospel Warriors of Bruce.
• Union Baptist Fellowship Choir.
“We are urging people to bring a chair and come on,” said Wofford. “Like I said, this is a family event and we should all be blessed.”
Saturday starts at 10 a.m. with vendors offering up everything from purses and clothing to home items and art created by artists from the Una community.
“We will have kid games going all day with everything from a hula-hoop contest and dance competition to a water slide,” said Wofford. “Parents can bring their kids by and for $10 they can waterslide all day long.”
And then there is the food.
“This event got started by people who enjoy good food and who can cook good food,” said Wofford. “That hasn’t changed.”
She said vendors will offer up everything from hamburgers and hotdogs to barbecue and authentic Una soul food. Soft drinks and snowcones will also be available for the summer time crowd.
Entertainment will be provided by DJ Love Bone.
And Wofford said proceeds from the event will be plowed back into the community.
“We built the pavilion all this is under and we have plans to expand it at some point in the future,” said Wofford. “People use it for family reunions, birthday parties and churches use it, too. There is something going on at the pavilion just about every weekend.”
Wofford said the next project for Una Fun Fest will be to build a playground complete with sandbox, swings and a slide.
“And we are a community that cares about our community and we have used proceeds to help the needy,” said Wofford. “I really think that is why this thing has grown as big as it is. We plan to keep helping this community and we hope it continues to grow.”
The Rev. Sylvester Walker is president of the Una Fun Fest with Rosie Vance as assistant secretary. Shelton Deans serves as treasurer with Shirley Walker as assistant treasurer.
For more information about Una Fun Fest contact Wofford at 456-4034 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“It’s all about fellowship and bringing a little unity to Una,” said Wofford. “We want people to come be a part of it.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago