Houlka trustees OK 2014-15 budget
On a motion by Trustee Pam Butler and a second by Michelle Collums, the district voted to approve the 2014-15 budget. Trustees Kenneth Linton, Jamie Earp and Board President Ruby Hollin unanimously supported the measure.
The budget calls for expenses of $4,798,503 for the upcoming year and projects revenues of $4,459704. That deficit will require the district to pull $338,799 from their fund balance.
The district expects to have a fun balance of $817,769 at the end of its 2014-15 fiscal year.
Houlka schools saw their MAEP (Mississippi Adequate Education Program) cut $278,267 this year by the Mississippi Legislature.
MAEP is the state formula used to establish adequate current operation funding levels necessary for the
programs of each school district to meet a successful level of student performance. The formula was established by the State Board of Education using current statistically relevant state assessment data, such as average daily attendance, at-risk students and basic student costs.
The state has only fully funded this program twice since it was implemented in 1997, with lawmakers allocating money to other programs and agencies.
Houlka school are also half way through two major renovations that add up to the bulk of the amount taken from the fund balance this fall.
The district is repairing the 1935 windows at the school and total matching funds for this historic renovation are $151,445. The district will also fund $50,000 in bathroom repairs next year.
As with any budget, all numbers in the 2014-15 budget are estimates and the district will look for ways to cut costs. The actual dollars taken from the fund balance could be less when all bills are paid next summer.
The district did get one indication of a cost savings Monday night when they were told changes in their property and general liability insurance would save them $10,486.
District saw insurance rates skyrocket last year after tornadoes destroyed several school across North Mississippi.
Agent Bob Scott, of Tabb Insurance, said a change in insurance carriers from Chubb and Berkley to Liberty Mutual has prompted the savings.
The district also adopted new pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and student handbooks. New federal regulations require a separate handbook for all three age groups.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago