Pride in their park
HOUSTON – They saw a need and got to work.
The Young Adults Sunday School class at Houston First United Methodist Church saw a need for repairs to the Park on Parks Street next to the National Guard Armory and set about the business of fixing them.
“This project was our Sunday School class’, the Young Adults at the First United Methodist Church, continuation of the “Methodist On A Mission” Project,” said Will Montgomery, a class member. “Frank Alford, our Sunday School teacher, challenged us to come up with a project that our class could do that was along the same theme as the Methodist On a Mission project.”
Members of the class had spotted the playground equipment at the park was in need of repair when they worked on another beautification project at the park last year.
“We identified this project and noticed the need when we were covering up the graffiti in the pavilion located in the same park during October 2013 as part of the Methodist on a Mission project,” said Montgomery. “Our class of about 15 strong decided to donate money and then meet once to build the see saws and then again to remove the old ones and replace with the new ones.”
Members of the class gathered recently and spent a day taking off the old boards and replacing them with new lumber. They also cleaned up the hardware and made them safer.
Montgomery said the class has been inspired to look for other projects. They also hope others will look around Houston and consider a small beautification project this summer.
Montgomery said the class’ goal simple.
“Our hope is that kids can continue to enjoy this park,” said Montgomery.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Slim dollars, opportunities for lazy Americans May 21, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago