EDITORIAL: Summer is a time to grow
We think that also applies to local businesses, industry and service professions in Chickasaw County.
We at the Chickasaw Journal are quick to point out we don’t have the expertise, data or credentials to say exactly what you need to make your business grow or when you should hire employees – but we would like for you to look at a few things.
• The stock market is up.
• Nationally, housing prices and inventories have stabilized.
• The State of Mississippi has hit tax revenue estimates.
• Unemployment is steady in North Mississippi.
• Sales tax numbers are constant in Chickasaw County.
Some may say we are not out of the economic woods yet, and we will admit the Chickasaw Journal, like all businesses, has no crystal ball to tell us when and how to spend.
But we are pleased with indicators that show economic activity is on the rise on Main Street.
The parking lots of local furniture factories are full and that tells us people are working. There are cars parked on the Square every day in Houston. The parking lots of our major retail stores are also full on the weekend.
We have confidence in local business. And we have confidence local business will grow.
And that is not an easy thing to say after the economic punches of the past 18-months.
As spring blossoms we urge all local businesses to embrace our confidence and assurance that we feel things will get better around here.
We also urge shoppers to support the local economy and spend their dollars in local stores and businesses. Your purchase may not turn the national economy around, but it could put somebody in Chickasaw County over their sales goal for the day.
No, one robin does not make spring. But on the other hand, by the time you see several on your lawn, you can be pretty sure summer is already here!
Summer is a time to grow. Let’s do the things necessary to make our economy blossom.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago