Herbert ‘Ray’ Goodman
TUPELO – Herbert Raymond “”Ray”” Goodman died Wednesday, May 21, 2014, in Tupelo. He was born in El Paso, Texas, Oct. 31, 1932, the son of Herbert Hatton Goodman and Hattie Mae Crosby Goodman. They moved to Summerland, his mother’s hometown, when he was five years old. In 1943 they moved to Laurel, where he graduated from George S. Gardiner High School in 1950. After one year at Jones County Junior College, he was called to active duty with the U.S. Navy Reserve as an aerial photographer during the Korean War. Upon discharge, he enrolled in Tulane University of New Orleans for one semester, transferring to the University of Mississippi and graduating in 1957 with a B.A. degree in English.
While at Ole Miss, he met and married Shirley Ann Lumpkin, his wife of 56 years.
At Ole Miss, he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha Social Fraternity, Phi Sigma Tau, National Honorary Fraternity in Philosophy and the ASB Dance Committee.
He entered Virginia Episcopal Theological Seminary in 1957, graduating with a M.Div. in 1960.
He was ordained deacon that year and priest the following year.
He served the Episcopal Church in many capacities, including as Curate at the Church of the Ascension, Lafayette, Louisiana and Chaplain to Episcopal students at the University of Southwestern Louisiana from 1960 to 1961, priest-in-charge of St. David’s, Rayville; Redeemer, Oak Ridge; and St. Columba’s, Winnsboro from 1961 to 1965.
He served as rector of St. Paul’s, Jesup, Georgia from 1966 to 1969, and as Rector of All Saints’, Tupelo, from 1969 to 1974, when he resigned and entered the Ole Miss School of Law. Graduating with a J.D. Degree in 1976, he practiced law in Tupelo, until 1994, with the firm of Carr and Goodman. He re-entered the parish ministry in 1994 when he became Interim Rector of St. James, Greenville, until 1995. He served as Interim rector of St. Paul’s, Meridian, from 1995 until 1996 and as Interim Rector of St. John’s, Ocean Springs, until 1999. He then supplied on a regular basis for churches in Corinth, Aberdeen and Okolona until failing health forced his retirement in 2008.
Goodman was chosen for inclusion in Who’s Who in American Law in 1993 and 2012, and Who’s Who in America for 2012.
Goodman was a member of Mensa, a certified SCUBA diver, a licensed private pilot, an amateur paleoanthropologist, and an avid cook.
He was predeceased by his parents, an infant daughter, Anne Goodman, and a son, Paul Lumpkin Goodman, a 1991 Honors Graduate of the Ole Miss School of Law.
Goodman is survived by his beloved wife; his daughter-in-law, Tish Goodman; and his granddaughter, Abbey McCullough Goodman.
Visitation will be Tuesday, May 27, from 2:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. at All Saints’ Episcopal Church. The Requiem Eucharist will follow on Tuesday, May 27, at 4 pm. Memorials in lieu of flowers may be given to All Saints’ Episcopal Church for the Saints’ Brew program and the building fund.
Expressions of sympathy may be left at www.peguesfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago