Repeat for Lady Wolverines
The Lady Wolverines started the year with a goal and battled through all obstacles to return to State this year to claim another championship.
“We knew what had to be done and we knew we had to fight the entire season,” said catcher Autumn Frost. “And knowing, we did just that.”
Infielder Mamie Hollenhead agreed and has the personal experience to back it up. Hollenhead took a line drive to the jaw earlier in the season and was sidelined for several weeks.
“This season has been definitely one to remember,” Hollenhead said. “With God on our side, we have powered through so many obstacles and were able to meet our big goal this season.”
The Lady Wolverines made a quick run through playoffs, dusting Mantachie and Hatley in two-game series sweeps to set up their meeting with Taylorsville at Freedom Park.
In Game One, the Lady Wolverines took a come-from-behind 3-2 win in the bottom of the seventh to hold an advantage in the series.
In Saturday’s game, the Cumberland girls got straight to business, taking and holding their lead for a 12-4 win and State Champ title.
Senior pitcher Bailie Springfield was on the hill for both wins – this year and in 2013.
“Winning State back-to-back is a memory that I will never forget,” Springfield said. “I wouldn’t trade my team for anything. We work so hard together and we’re all a big, happy family. I’m just so thankful and blessed to have the teach and coaches that I have.”
Frost summed up the team’s satisfaction with a return win at Freedom Ridge Park in two words.
“Feels amazing,” Frost said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago