HOUSTON – Robert E. “R.E.” Vance, 83, of Houston, died Friday, May 16, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. He was born April 6, 1931, in Clay County to Frank Burkett Vance and Mary Elizabeth Walls Vance. He was a retired fitting welder for B&W, a member of Macedonia United Methodist Church, a Purple Heart recipient from the Korean Conflict Veteran and the past All American Commander of the Tupelo VFW Post 4057 for the years of 1990 and 1991. He loved to hunt, fish and garden.
Services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, May 18, at Houston Funeral Home in Houston with the Rev. Mark Hoover and the Rev. Steve Lampkin officiating. Burial will be in Macedonia Cemetery. Houston Funeral Home of Houston is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Marie Allen Vance of Houston; his daughter, Gayle and Mike Malone of Nettleton; his sisters, Grace McClain of Vardaman and Joyce and James Hooper of Eupora; his grandchildren, Amber Michelle Jenkins and Melissa Tanksley; his great-grandchildren, Zoe Wright, Cash Christian, Aaron Tanksley, Andrew Tanksley and Alavia Tanksley.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Ruble Vance; and his sisters, Hazel Griffin, Earline Whitt, Christine Wright and Sible Vanlandingham.
Pallbearers are Thomas Allen, Mike Malone, John Lancaster, Jerry McClain, Mike Altom and Craig Williams.
Honorary pallbearers are the Tupelo VFW Domino Players and Johnny Linley.
Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
Friends and family may sign and leave a message on the online register book at houstonfuneralhomems.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago