HOUSTON – Robert E. “R.E.” Vance, 83, of Houston, died Friday, May 16, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. He was born April 6, 1931, in Clay County to Frank Burkett Vance and Mary Elizabeth Walls Vance. He was a retired fitting welder for B&W, a member of Macedonia United Methodist Church, a Purple Heart recipient from the Korean Conflict Veteran and the past All American Commander of the Tupelo VFW Post 4057 for the years of 1990 and 1991. He loved to hunt, fish and garden.
Services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, May 18, at Houston Funeral Home in Houston with the Rev. Mark Hoover and the Rev. Steve Lampkin officiating. Burial will be in Macedonia Cemetery. Houston Funeral Home of Houston is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Marie Allen Vance of Houston; his daughter, Gayle and Mike Malone of Nettleton; his sisters, Grace McClain of Vardaman and Joyce and James Hooper of Eupora; his grandchildren, Amber Michelle Jenkins and Melissa Tanksley; his great-grandchildren, Zoe Wright, Cash Christian, Aaron Tanksley, Andrew Tanksley and Alavia Tanksley.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Ruble Vance; and his sisters, Hazel Griffin, Earline Whitt, Christine Wright and Sible Vanlandingham.
Pallbearers are Thomas Allen, Mike Malone, John Lancaster, Jerry McClain, Mike Altom and Craig Williams.
Honorary pallbearers are the Tupelo VFW Domino Players and Johnny Linley.
Visitation will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
Friends and family may sign and leave a message on the online register book at houstonfuneralhomems.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago