Sending love to Sonny
PHEBA – Each white balloon released against a clear, blue sky sent a message of love to heaven as students, faculty, friends and family members of the late Sonny Andrew Quinones held a memorial for him at Hebron Christian School May 8.
Quinones, 11, was third grade student at HCS when he died in an accident at home March 20. The school wanted to do something in his honor and sold T-shirts to raise funds.
“We were going to give the money to his grandparents but they wanted it to go back to the school for playground equipment,” said Terry Eaton who has children at the school. “He loved to climb so we are looking for some kind of playground equipment the children can climb on.”
The student body met on the playground for a balloon release with Bro. Andy Parrish saying a few words about Quinones.
“We miss him telling jokes,” Parrish said. “We miss his magic tricks. I wish I could do magic tricks like Sonny. We miss his hugs. I wish we could have another hug from him but we can’t. These balloons tell God we miss Sonny.”
Parrish led a prayer and read a poem prior to releasing the balloons.
Headmaster John Harper said Quinones is missed at the school.
“He was a good little rascal,” Harper said. “He was all boy, he loved to climb. The kids really opened up their hearts for him.”
Quinones’ grandmother, Patricia Skelton of West Point, attended the ceremony and said it was a special day for Sonny’s family.
“It really touched me,” Skelton said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago