Next stop, Freedom Park!
The Lady Toppers continued working their way back to State Friday as they knocked off the Lady Commodores of Lafayette County in Game One of North Half Championship.
The Lady Commodores started off strong in the top of the first, loading the bases with no outs. Katrina Wilson’s sac fly plated Rae Drewery and Moesha Phillips scored on a ground out, but Houston senior pitcher, Taylor Lancaster, got the girls out of the jam striking out Janae Westbook to put the Lady Toppers at bat.
The Houston girls didn’t waste time making a move with Alexis McShan hitting the hole for a single, Mary Kansas Sullivan knocking one over shortstop and Talaja Echoles walking on to load the bases for the Lady Toppers. Madeline Burdine hit a shot over third and down the baseline for a three RBI triple and Lancaster plated Burdine on a groundout to put the Houston girls up 4-2 at the close of the frame.
In the top of the second, the Houston girls turned two with Lancaster striking out Kylie Glass and Sullivan shooting one from the plate to Quaneshia Pratt at first to catch Hope Patton off the bag. A groundout to Chelsea Gates made short work of the inning and the Lady Toppers padded their score in the bottom of the inning.
McShan and Sullivan both reached again on singles and this time Echoles ran the scoreboard up with a three RBI homer over the right centerfield fence to give the Lady Toppers a 7-2 lead.
The Houston defense continued to work together to hold the Lady Commodores at only two runs and Gates capitalized on Sullivan’s flyout to score in the bottom of the fourth for an 8-2 lead the Lady Toppers held for the Game One win.
On the road again
The Houston girls headed to Lafayette County Monday for Game Two of North Half with the winner of the series claiming a spot in the 4A State Championship and came home with their ticket punched to Ridgeland this weekend.
The game was tied 2-2 through the third, but the Lady Toppers got their sparks when they needed them. Gates’ hit a grand slam homer to lift the Houston girls to 7-2 and Burdine’s two RBI inside-the-park home run helped the Lady Toppers move to 10-6.
Echoles’ solo homer was the final Houston score and they held it for an 11-7 win and another trip to State.
Heading to Ridgeland
The Lady Toppers are making their third consecutive trip to Freedom Park and will face the same team they’ve played the past two years.
Houston and Newton County have split games in their series, with Houston claiming the championship in 2012 and Newton County taking home the medals in 2013.
Game One is set for Friday at 7:30 p.m., but is subject to change to accomodate graduation at Newton County. Game Two is scheduled for Saturday at noon.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago