Lady Wolves punch ticket, Wolves head to North Half
The East Webster Wolverines have battled their way through playoffs after drawing a division championship bye in the first round, earning all their wins and advancements.
“We are winning a lot of close games down the stretch,” said East Webster coach Wes Johnson. “(Our) kids are executing situational hitting and running the bases very well.The pitchers are throwing strikes and we make the routine plays.”
The Wolverines went three games in their first playoff round against East Union and started a series with Mantachie May 10 with a positive result.
Mantachie got on the board first with a run in the first, but the Wolves knocked in four in the bottom of the frame and one in the second for a 5-1 lead.
The Mustangs weren’t finished and began chipping away at the Wolverines, pulling to within three runs through the sixth. They plated two in the top of the seventh, but the Cumberland defense held them back for a 7-6 win in Game One.
Freshman Cody Boland got the nod on the hill. Chase Keller and John Wofford Williams had multiple hits and Keller and Derek Jones had a double each.
Johnson is the first to admit his team is young but adds they play very smart.
“(I’m) proud of the kids and the way they compete, expecially since we start six freshmen and sophomores,” Johnson said. “It doesn’t hurt anything that our team GPA is 3.47 and we have seven 4.0 players on our roster. They tend to pick things up really well.”
The Wolverines headed back to the diamond Monday in Mantachie and secured their spot in the North Half finals with a 4-0 shutout of the Mustangs. Brock Fleming got the win for the Wolves and Miller Hancock had multipel hits.
The Wolverines will be back in action Thursday playing the winner of Eupora and Baldwyn who played the third game of their series Tuesday.
Lady Wolves at North Half
On the girl’s field, the Lady Wolverines got a close 4-3 win over Hatley May 9, then shut out the Lady Tigers, 7-0, Saturday take the North Half title and advance to the State Championship – again – although Monday’s game would determine their opponent.
Enterprise, a repeat adversary, was set to play Taylorsville to determine South Half champs.
The Lady Wolverines have notched four State Championships in their belts in the last seven years, while Enterprise has gotten the ring twice in the same time span.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago