Topper tennis at State
The Hilltoppers just missed an opportunity to compete as a full team in the State tennis tournament in Jackson but sent five members to Jackson to compete in individual matches.
Ezra Blissard hit the court in boy’s singles while Walt Harrington and Chase Eldridge competed in boy’s doubles and Lane Brandon and Hannah Welch partnered in mixed doubles.
When the competition was over, the Toppers had made school history as the only 4A school that had three teams still competing in the semi-finals.
Blissard went all the way to the finals, placing second in the state in 4A boy’s singles.
“It was awesome,” Blissard said, adding his plan for next year is to, “win it.”
Blissard won’t take much time off from the courts and is already planning to work on his level of fitness during the off-season.
Harrington and Eldridge placed third in boy’s doubles and Welch and Brandon took third in mixed doubles.
“It was fun,” Brandon said of his first trip to Jackson in tennis. “I want to thank Mr. Mike (Blissard) for all his coaching. It’s how I got there.”
Harrington also credited Blissard for instruction both during the school season and in summer and fall tournament play.
“He did so much to help the whole team,” Harrington said. “You can tell how big a difference he made. This year helped me prepare to play tennis at the next level.”
Harrington has committed to Meridian Community College’s tennis program and hopes Eldridge and Brandon will join him there. Welch will also graduate this May while Ezra Blissard will be an incoming junior at HHS in the fall.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago