FLOYD INGRAM: I’m one of the lucky ones
Preacher will extoll the virtues of mothers on Sunday and come back in a few weeks and beat up on men on Father’s Day.
Such is Southern culture. Such is the fact that good women can bring out the best in good men.
First there was the woman who gave me life and raised me to be a man. And now there is the woman who picked me to share her life and then gave life to my four boys.
I’m one of the lucky ones who has a mother who raised me right and a wife who expects much out of the men in her life.
My mother has always been quick to say she didn’t pick me and I didn’t pick her. A church-going woman, her point was that decision was made by a being much grander and wiser than either of us.
I have to say I am one of the lucky ones.
Mary Ingram always loved my daddy. She is silly, but not prone to foolishness. She also has loved me longer than any other human being on this Earth.
We can all get mushy about a mother’s love. It’s human nature and so very true.
But being a mother is a job my mom took very seriously.
People who know Mary Ingram always tell me how sweet and nice she is.
When I hear that, I look them in the eye and explain it is obvious she has never whipped their butt!
It’s pretty obvious they were not there the day she told that elementary school teacher to see her if there was ever the slightest problem with an Ingram boy. They weren’t there the day she pinched me in church and her eyes dared me to make a noise. And they certainly weren’t there the day she washed out my mouth – twice – after two dirty words spilled from it.
In a day and age when court dockets are filled with mothers selling drugs, shooting people and stealing money and property, I again have to say I am one of the lucky ones.
Sara knew we were destined to get married long before I came around to that way of thinking. Why she picked me out of the crowd I do not know.
I have to say I am one of the lucky ones.
My wife always told me she was not taking the reigns from my mother. Sara let me know early in our marriage she was glad to raise our children but she was not raising me.
Sara also let me know when we were dating she was not looking for a man, she was looking for a gentleman.
I have not always measured up to the mark. We’ve had our share of trouble, but she has remained my true and faithful friend for almost 26 years now.
Houses, cars, jobs, towns, churches and dear friends have come and gone, but Sara has stuck by my side through thick and thin.
Sara demands much from me. As any smart husband knows, serving your wife and making her happy is one of the greatest joys of marriage.
And did I say she has given me four strong boys who she has helped raise into four strong men. Pardon me . . . boys she has raised into four strong gentlemen.
In a day and age when wives cut and run, talk bad about their husbands and let their children run wild, I again have to say I am one of the lucky ones.
Beside every man . . .
What my wife wants, she gets. She deserves it.
What my mother needs, she gets. She’s earned it.
They say behind every successful man is a successful woman.
I believe that saying should read a little differently.
On each side of every successful man are two women who are working very hard to make him better.
I am truly a lucky man.
Floyd Ingram is Managing Editor/News for the Chickasaw Journal. He can be reached at 456-3771 or via email at email@example.com
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago