Wolverines go all the way
The East Webster Wolverines weren’t satisfied to just be good or have a successful season. They wanted to go all the way to State – and they did in a big way.
As a team, the Wolverines won district and marched through playoffs, defeating Madison St. Joe and Union to play for the State Championship against Clarksdale.
The Wolverines didn’t slow their pace in the championship round, sweeping Clarksdale 7-0 to take top honors in 2A tennis.
Staying at State
Individually, every team member advanced to State in their respective competitions including boy’s singles, girl’s singles, boy’s doubles, girl’s doubles and mixed doubles.
And three teams made the semi-finals with two of them finishing on top.
Hayden Hill won over Brook Payne of Union, 7-5, 6-1, to earn her State Championship in girl’s singles and the mixed doubles pairing of Samuel Butler and Holly Ellis defeated Matthew Harkey and Lucy Loveless of Madison St. Joe, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1, to earn their first-place medals.
In boy’s doubles, John T. Champion and Rhett Parker took second place to Nick Hembree and Holt Stockett of Madison St. Joe but it took three sets to stop the Wolverines. Champion and Parker won the first set, 6-4, but fell 4-6, 2-6 in the next two, taking the runner-up position.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago