Walker medals at State
Brandon Walker hit the links this season for Vardaman and didn’t stop until he had a medal around his neck from the State meet.
Walker competed individually in the Class 1A Tournament at Clear Creek in Bovina May 1 and shot 156 to tie for third place with Jason Byrd of Salem High School. Hunter Hammett of Sacred Heart placed first, followed by Channing Curtis of St. Aloysius.
Although Walker, a 16-year-old sophomore at Vardaman High School, placed well enough to bring home a medal, he was not totally satisfied.
“I wanted to win it,” Walker said.
And with that in mind, he’s sure to be out on the links working toward next spring’s meets.
“I’ll be working on my short game, chipping and putting,” Walker said.
Although this was Walker’s first trip to State as a medalist, it wasn’t his first time to participate.
“I went in my eighth grade year with Calhoun City,” Walker said. “I think we placed fourth or fifth. It wasn’t too bad considering there was nobody on the team over ninth grade.”
After transferring to Vardaman in the ninth grade, Walker took the medalist route as the school does not field a full golf team. But he’s been on the links most of his life.
“I’ve been playing since I was about three, pretty much since I could walk,” Walker said. “My dad and brother introduced me to it.”
Walker plays regularly at Pine Hills in Calhoun City and encourages others who are interested to give golf a shot.
“Stay with it and you’ll get addicted within a month or two,” Walker said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago