NETTLETON – Herman Shumpert, 95, died on Thursday, May 1, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice. He was born June 15, 1918, to Eck and Georgia William Shumpert.
He accepted Christ at an early age and joined Palestine United Methodist Church and served there until he moved to Chicago. There he joined Rust Memorial United Methodist Church, serving in many capacities. In 1978, he returned to Mississippi and reunited with his home church. He served as trustee, chairman of the board, Pastor Parish Committee and many more.
In the early 1940s, he met the love of his life, Pauletta Broyles, in Okolona. They married on April 11,1942. He received his formal education at Palestine School. In 1942 he was drafted into the Army and served his country in the World War II. He was employed at Western Electric (AT&T) for 33 years.
He is survived by his wife, Pauletta Shumpert; two sons, Ronald (Linda) Shumpert and Michael Shumpert, both of Chicago; two sisters, Itha Colliers of Mount Clemens, Mich., and Letha Little of Fulterton, Calif.; two granddaughters, Shanon Shumpert and Shea (Pharoah) Turner, and one grandson, Sean Shumpert, all of Chicago; great-grandchildren, Moriah Shumpert, Jordan Tate and Sean Shumpert II; a loving and devoted niece, Lera Jones; a dear friend, Rosalyn Shumpert-Boone; and a host of nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Services will be at noon Thursday, May 8, at St. Paul United Methodist Church Christian Life Center. Burial will be in Patterson Memorial Cemetery. N.L. Jones Funeral Directors of Tupelo is in charge of arrangements.
The body will lie in repose at the church one hour prior to service time.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago